Callaway Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

No doubt these are beautiful drivers, but I'm sure dollars to donuts that neither one will out perform my current driver.

I'm just getting skeptical of all the claims of any OEM, be it TM, Ping, Callaway, whoever. I have the clubs I have because that's what I was fitted for and what worked best. I didn't get any extra yards...and I didn't believe the hype anyway.

And, I don't get the adjustability. I was fitted for my driver, but I would prefer a fixed head. If you have been fitted for the correct shaft, the correct loft, etc., what would you need to adjust? Your launch angle, spin rate, flex, should be just fine. I have yet to adjust mine.

Also, in the case of the Alpha, $499 seems quite pricey.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the technology behind it as its really interesting, I just do not like the look of the alpha or the bertha.

Neither of the drivers look "right" too me..

however, too each their own and I hope that I am in the minority here as I do not wish ill on Callaway.

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1386022864' post='8238726']
No doubt these are beautiful drivers, but I'm sure dollars to donuts that neither one will out perform my current driver.

I'm just getting skeptical of all the claims of any OEM, be it TM, Ping, Callaway, whoever. I have the clubs I have because that's what I was fitted for and what worked best. I didn't get any extra yards...and I didn't believe the hype anyway.

And, I don't get the adjustability. I was fitted for my driver, but I would prefer a fixed head. If you have been fitted for the correct shaft, the correct loft, etc., what would you need to adjust? Your launch angle, spin rate, flex, should be just fine. I have yet to adjust mine.

[/quote]
Well clearly, you're just a poser and a hater! **RUNS AWAY** :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1386014658' post='8238006']
[quote name='RPVL' timestamp='1386014460' post='8237990']
Any BB Fairway pics anyone?
[/quote]

[media=]http://youtu.be/WObjhmxdNaQ[/media]
[/quote]
Wow! Definitely can't wait for the 3Wood!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

Not feeling the paint scheme but I'm definitely looking forward to try them out! Also I may have to wait now to compare the BB 3 Wood to the X2 Hot!

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1386023125' post='8238750']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh Tommy, you cut me to the quick!

I thought I just saw something from Harry on the Tweeter that uDesign was going to be offered in both?

EDIT: Yeah, that's what him and Luke Williams said, uDesign for both. And Harry put out a picture of the staff bag too. I just grabbed some screenshots from my phone, will try to post them up here in a second.

VObf4Po.png

P7CmytS.png

OMG did those come through massively. I'll apologize for that now. Maybe I can use that spolier tag for good use...let's see.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1386023712' post='8238796']
I thought I just saw something from Harry on the Tweeter that uDesign was going to be offered in both?

EDIT: Yeah, that's what him and Luke Williams said, uDesign for both. And Harry put out a picture of the staff bag too. I just grabbed some screenshots from my phone, will try to post them up here in a second.
[/quote]

I stand corrected.....glad its available in both....just seen the bag!!!!!!!!!!!

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1386023406' post='8238770']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1386023125' post='8238750']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh Tommy, you cut me to the quick!
[/quote]
I have nothing but love for you bug guy! :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I just read on another site that you will be able to adjust the loft, lie, etc. AND keep the shaft logo/ alignment the same. Might not be a big deal to everyone but I hate having the shaft logo anywhere but pointing straight down. Excuse me if this was available on previous Callaway's and I just didn't pay attention.

Other than that these look okay, I'll have to see and hit in person.

Ping G30 10.5 Oban Devotion 7
Adams 4060 14 Fuji Pro95
Adams Tour Proto 19 Fuji 904HB
Bridgestone J33 Combo 3-9 Proj X
SeeMore FGP
Vokey 48, 54, 58 KBS Tour

[quote name='KWheels' timestamp='1386024288' post='8238846']
I just read on another site that you will be able to adjust the loft, lie, etc. AND keep the shaft logo/ alignment the same. Might not be a big deal to everyone but I hate having the shaft logo anywhere but pointing straight down. Excuse me if this was available on previous Callaway's and I just didn't pay attention.

Other than that these look okay, I'll have to see and hit in person.
[/quote]

It was this way on the OptiFit hosel as well (Razr Fit, XHot, etc) and I agree, it was great. That's the thing I hate most about the Ping adapter. If you wanna change it, you change the whole thing. The cog rocks, but I also understand why they do it that way too, cog adds weight

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[/quote]

Says the man with 100% tmag ;)

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Hate the look of the alpha.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1386024440' post='8238868']

[/quote]

Says the man with 100% tmag ;)
[/quote]

Ha!

But read my second sentence...I'm hypeless? :-)

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1386020197' post='8238482']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1386019975' post='8238458']
Do these aesthetically live up to the hype of the 40 page love fest?
[/quote]

I like the shape but not a big fan of the Ironman/Optimus prime look/color (mainly the BB Alpha). [b]In addition, the BB Alpha headcover is god awful[/b]. If I had to pick one on looks alone, I'd go with the BB (although the tech in the Alpha seems really cool).

I havent hit it yet but everyone who has seems to say they perform so I guess I have to wait until Feb to give a full pass/fail grade (Danny Lee saying he gained 15 yards so it seems to have a lot of potential).
[/quote]

Does anyone actually use the stock head cover? I can't imagine why anyone would care what it looks like. Once companies stopped making soft barrel head covers, I stopped using the stock ones. I put a PING Fur head cover on all of my woods. They are simple, effective, and actually look elegant in their simplicity.

[quote name='redraider1685' timestamp='1386025190' post='8238922']
[quote name='CCUgolfer23' timestamp='1386024606' post='8238880']
Hate the look of the alpha.
[/quote]

did you take an extra second and look it

sorry couldn't resist
[/quote]

Touché.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

[/quote]

You're right about the adjustability aspect, I haven't tweaked mine since I fitted myself. Having said that, having that option to do yourself without having to hit 12 different drivers with 12 different shafts, you can try a handful of shafts with one head and then get the settings right on the head. It's much faster and cheaper in that regard.

[quote name='boxerjoe2011' timestamp='1386025447' post='8238940']

[/quote]

You're right about the adjustability aspect, I haven't tweaked mine since I fitted myself. Having said that, having that option to do yourself without having to hit 12 different drivers with 12 different shafts, you can try a handful of shafts with one head and then get the settings right on the head. It's much faster and cheaper in that regard.
[/quote]

That's true, but it should be about the golfer and not the fitter. But anyway, this thread is about the new Callaway drivers, not adjustability. My bad. :-)

So I was thinking of going back to TM for fairway woods this year, then I saw the new Big Bertha fairways. Conveniently in stores when my tax return usually comes in.......... Oh Callaway, you know how to win me over.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[/quote]

Your statements of 'was already fitted' seem to presume that because you were fitted you have the perfect fit. This may or may not be true.

In most cases we are actually settling for the best fit based on what's out there and the tradeoffs that have to be made. For example, when I was fit, the fitter had to give me a lower launch than he'd prefer to try to get my spin down.

With all of the COR maxing, going forward the way you differentiate is having a system that gets you closer to your ideal numbers. The alpha brings something new to that discussion. It's easy to see it's not perfect and there is room for improvement, but does look like an advancement in the same way TM's MWT was.

Now if you're one of the lucky ones whose fitting gives them ideal numbers, then there is no need to ever read one of these threads again. You've hit golf nirvana already. At least until changes in your swing due to age, fitness level, or the amount of time you can devote to the game cause your swing to change.

What a let down in my opinion. :no2: I was expecting something more creative in design or at least a different combination of finishes. The club doesn't even resemble anything like the original Big Bertha, which would have probably been heroiclly nostalgic for many. I have been a life-long Callaway fan (27yo), but why do they insist on making their clubs look gaughty? Maybe its attractive to the majority of people young and old, and I know nothing about golf retail, but the creativity on the top/bottom of these Callaway drivers has been terrible recently. Haha Not that any other manufacturers have been any better. The core weighting system and adjustability like the SLDR is hard to argue with, but the artwork just isn't bringing it to life for me.. The quality of the product probably isn't any less than its competition (could be even better) but it doesn't look like it or give the impression of superiority. I have owned the FT-3 Tour, FT-5 Tour, FT-iSq Low LCG, but the recent Diablo and Razr drivers have forced me to look away from the brand (Now own a Ping i20) And now I must wait even longer to be proud of another Callaway design. I wish they would experiment with more durable Matte finishes, maybe even something like the old Scotty Cameron studio design rainbow finish would look awesome. The release of drivers every few months isn't attractive either. Sorry..

915D2 9.5deg, Rogue Silver 70S
915F 15deg, Rogue Blk 70S
18deg, 24deg AdamsPro Gold Boxer Altus S
Vapor Pro Combos 5-PW PXi 6.0s
56deg, 60deg Scratch 1018 Forged DD
Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Alpha weight is 12g in the Core

What's the weight in the sliding track for the Bertha weigh?

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='Ultimate Gaj' timestamp='1386023357' post='8238764']
Not feeling the paint scheme but I'm definitely looking forward to try them out! Also I may have to wait now to compare the BB 3 Wood to the X2 Hot!
[/quote]

Is it correct that the only difference between the BB fwy and the X2hot is the adjustable hosel?

Callaway GBB Driver
Callaway GBB 5 wood
TM Aeroburner 5 hybrids
Ping Anser irons 6-PW
Ping I20 UWTI, SW
Callaway MD PM 58, 64
Ping Ketch mid heavy
Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone extrasoft