2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='CallawayGL' timestamp='1386049097' post='8240902']
Harry, when you and Doc talk about a 15 yard gain, which driver are you comparing it against?
[/quote]

He was/is playing Optiforce 440. I can't remember his exact avg numbers with the Optiforce, but with Alpha, he was able to keep his launch angle around 13 degrees, add almost 3 mph of ball speed, and decrease his spin from around 3000 to 2400. That added about 15 yards on the trackman. About 7 or so was carry and the rest roll. I don't look much at the roll part of the monitor stuff because that is all just make believe. Carry is what is important to me. Of course this is launch monitor golf.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1386087184' post='8242088']
[quote name='hectorj' timestamp='1386082414' post='8241770']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1386043879' post='8240634']
I do think this driver looks pretty cool, love the shape and the look from address.. [i]however[/i], at $500, this driver has huge flop potential. I hope it lives up to this insane amount of hype!
[/quote]

The Alpha is not meant to be the best-selling driver. It is not a driver for the masses. It will not be produced, nor stocked, like it will be the best-selling driver. It is for people who need it. And not all 10,000 members of WRX who say they hit it 320 and have 125 SS will need it. The BB is GREAT. The dispersion numbers are astounding. At $400, it will most definitely NOT be a flop. Threads like these do a great job reminding everyone that WRX is NOT indicative of the golf industry as a whole. Remember, the BB is the one for 99% of golfers. And it is GREAT. Have too much spin, and don't want to go down in loft/play a boardy shaft? Then go with the Alpha. It's pretty simple, really.
[/quote]

As someone who has not hit it yet, but has read way too much unsubstantiated hype about this club, at $500, there is huge flop potential, I'm not talking about the $400 model. I have yet to hear the $400 model be labeled a being "as big of a difference as going from a steel head to a titanium head". I'm not saying it will flop, just saying it could and hope it doesn't as I plan on hitting it.

I love reading all these "GolfWRX is NOT indicative of the golf industry as a whole" statements, it's becoming the "go-to" canned OEM fanboy response to anything contrary to their own opinions. Hilarious.
[/quote]

Again, Callaway is offering the new Fubuki ZT and I have read multiple other shafts free of charge. Would you say the Apex irons priced at $1100 have huge flop potential? They more than your standard $900-$1000 set just like the BB Alpha is $100 more than your 913 or Covert Tpur 2.0. The difference is Callaway is offering a liking of Quality shaft upgrades at no cost that the consumer who actually cares about shafts would have to pay out of pocket. I would rather have Callaway put c tapers in for a little more $$ than have to buy them seperately and pay for the shafts plus install. If it is true and Callaway offers multiple quality shafts at no upcharge I think the $500 can be easily justifiable and actually save the consumer who would buy the Alpha or on the fence more money.

Just my opinion and this depends on what shafts Callaway will offer for no upcharge if any.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Any word on what exactly the no charge shaft options will be? I think Pure is correct that $500 as a starting price tag is a bit of a risk, but that could be significantly reduced if there are a range of shafts available at no upcharge. But if it's $500, and then another $100-200 for an upgraded shaft (I don't know much about the range of players that the Fubuki ZT will fit -- I'm also assuming that this is a "real deal" shaft -- so this could be a moot point, but I know a lot of people are particular about shafts), that becomes a major barrier for a lot of people who might consider it.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1386087836' post='8242136']
Harry, when you and Doc talk about a 15 yard gain, which driver are you comparing it against?
[/quote]

He was/is playing Optiforce 440. I can't remember his exact avg numbers with the Optiforce, but with Alpha, he was able to keep his launch angle around 13 degrees, add almost 3 mph of ball speed, and decrease his spin from around 3000 to 2400. That added about 15 yards on the trackman. About 7 or so was carry and the rest roll. I don't look much at the roll part of the monitor stuff because that is all just make believe. Carry is what is important to me. Of course this is launch monitor golf.
[/quote]
Why did you have to go and say that...I thought I was happy with my Optiforce.

This could be a very expensive start to the year, with the Apex pros, the x2 hot pro hybrids, the BB fairway all calling my name and now go and taunt me with the BB Alpha.

Damn you Callaway.

Nike Vapor Pro - D+ 70g S
Callaway XHot 4 wood, PXv stiff
Callaway X2Hot 20,23 Hybrids Tour green S
Srixon Z755 4-PW Modus 3 120S
Callaway X-Tour 52 &58
Scotty Cameron Select M2

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1386087892' post='8242148']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1386087184' post='8242088']
[quote name='hectorj' timestamp='1386082414' post='8241770']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1386043879' post='8240634']
I do think this driver looks pretty cool, love the shape and the look from address.. [i]however[/i], at $500, this driver has huge flop potential. I hope it lives up to this insane amount of hype!
[/quote]

The Alpha is not meant to be the best-selling driver. It is not a driver for the masses. It will not be produced, nor stocked, like it will be the best-selling driver. It is for people who need it. And not all 10,000 members of WRX who say they hit it 320 and have 125 SS will need it. The BB is GREAT. The dispersion numbers are astounding. At $400, it will most definitely NOT be a flop. Threads like these do a great job reminding everyone that WRX is NOT indicative of the golf industry as a whole. Remember, the BB is the one for 99% of golfers. And it is GREAT. Have too much spin, and don't want to go down in loft/play a boardy shaft? Then go with the Alpha. It's pretty simple, really.
[/quote]

As someone who has not hit it yet, but has read way too much unsubstantiated hype about this club, at $500, there is huge flop potential, I'm not talking about the $400 model. I have yet to hear the $400 model be labeled a being "as big of a difference as going from a steel head to a titanium head". I'm not saying it will flop, just saying it could and hope it doesn't as I plan on hitting it.

I love reading all these "GolfWRX is NOT indicative of the golf industry as a whole" statements, it's becoming the "go-to" canned OEM fanboy response to anything contrary to their own opinions. Hilarious.
[/quote]

Again, Callaway is offering the new Fubuki ZT and I have read multiple other shafts free of charge. Would you say the Apex irons priced at $1100 have huge flop potential? They more than your standard $900-$1000 set just like the BB Alpha is $100 more than your 913 or Covert Tpur 2.0. The difference is Callaway is offering a liking of Quality shaft upgrades at no cost that the consumer who actually cares about shafts would have to pay out of pocket. I would rather have Callaway put c tapers in for a little more $$ than have to buy them seperately and pay for the shafts plus install. If it is true and Callaway offers multiple quality shafts at no upcharge I think the $500 can be easily justifiable and actually save the consumer who would buy the Alpha or on the fence more money.

Just my opinion and this depends on what shafts Callaway will offer for no upcharge if any.
[/quote]

Good point, thanks Under Par. I haven't seen the shaft offerings yet, as I have been too busy filtering through all the #IER-esque posts on these Big Bertha threads. I said before that if it is as good as it is being hyped up to be on here (which at this point seems close to impossible), I would buy 2 of them :tongue:

Which other shafts are available at no upcharge?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1386081366' post='8241706']
Personally I absolutely love the color scheme. I'm not saying I would buy a driver purely because of the color scheme but...wait....well I guess truth be told I've bought drivers for less lol....
[/quote]

Call me superficial but headcovers alone have kept me from buying a specific driver - it reflects on the company - a couple years ago Bridgestone released a black and yellow patent leather head cover that was so bad they quickly revised it with other materials.

Imagine you went through a long 2 hour fitting process with 6 different drivers - and finally decide the BB Alpha is THE ONE. You take your driver to the front to pay while the salesperson goes into the back room to get your head cover. Visa in hand you complete your transaction. The guy hands you this head cover. I'd tell them to keep it and grab a tube sock from my drawer at home:

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[/quote]

[/quote]
thank you for your response. I too am playing the 440 Optiforce which has been my longest driver ever. I look forward to buying the Alpha.

[/quote]

[/quote]
thank you for your response. I too am playing the 440 Optiforce which has been my longest driver ever. I look forward to buying the Alpha.

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1386088974' post='8242236']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1386081366' post='8241706']
Personally I absolutely love the color scheme. I'm not saying I would buy a driver purely because of the color scheme but...wait....well I guess truth be told I've bought drivers for less lol....
[/quote]

Call me superficial but headcovers alone have kept me from buying a specific driver - it reflects on the company - a couple years ago Bridgestone released a black and yellow patent leather head cover that was so bad they quickly revised it with other materials.

Imagine you went through a long 2 hour fitting process with 6 different drivers - and finally decide the BB Alpha is THE ONE. You take your driver to the front to pay while the salesperson goes into the back room to get your head cover. Visa in hand you complete your transaction. The guy hands you this head cover. I'd tell them to keep it and grab a tube sock from my drawer at home:
[/quote]
Still hideous.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1386047785' post='8240850']
The color scheme could have been better IMO. The blue, red, red bullseye looks cheesy and something that I could see at Dicks. I think if they went all black with come added color it would look much better. The staff bag and patent leather head-covers are Nickent level IMO.

With all that said, they both look good from above and the Alpha offers something new. I hope they have the FT sound and feel.
[/quote]

The way I see it there's two things going on here.

First is the look at address is a pretty classic dark shade. No graphics except for the classic chevron on the BB model. No other distractions. On that front, seems to me that they listened.

On the sole or even the sides of the club, well that's where they do their self promoting. If you're watching on TV and see the sole of the club you're going to know what he hit.

I'll gladly take that tradeoff.

I do care about what the backs/cavities of my irons look like, but I'm less anal about the soles of my woods and hybrids.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1386065912' post='8241254']
[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1386009151' post='8237532']
[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1386006849' post='8237366']
Nice work, Callaway.

In the absence of a spare $4-500, liberal use of lead tape on my existing driver will have to do.
[/quote]

yeah couldnt one one put lead tape on the crown or sole to achieve same effect as gravity core? Wont look the best but still save you $499
[/quote]not without increasing the head weight and SW.
[/quote]

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1386065912' post='8241254']
[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1386009151' post='8237532']
[quote name='nohny noke' timestamp='1386006849' post='8237366']
Nice work, Callaway.

In the absence of a spare $4-500, liberal use of lead tape on my existing driver will have to do.
[/quote]

yeah couldnt one one put lead tape on the crown or sole to achieve same effect as gravity core? Wont look the best but still save you $499
[/quote]not without increasing the head weight and SW.
[/quote]

Not true if you have a tm driver with mwt.

You can add weight to the sole/crown and simply adjust your other weights down to compensate (provided you dont have minimum weights in all ports)

I did it to my r7 425 a while ago.

[attachment=1971590:image.jpg]

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1386087593' post='8242118']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1386045766' post='8240740']
[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1386023184' post='8238754']
[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1386014658' post='8238006']
[quote name='RPVL' timestamp='1386014460' post='8237990']
Any BB Fairway pics anyone?
[/quote]

[media=]http://youtu.be/WObjhmxdNaQ[/media]
[/quote]
Wow! Definitely can't wait for the 3Wood!
[/quote]

Harry Arnett's quirky sense of humor is grating - I think he and Sean Foley are exchanging fashion tips.
[/quote]

That literally made me laugh out loud!
[/quote]

You're a good sport - not succumbing to my antagonizing.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

The new Big Bertha does come with a free Captain America spandex suit I hear. But the graphics and headcover of this club are an embarrassment. Beyond ugly. I didn't even try hitting the G15 and G20 because of their short, ugly headcovers. I tried the i15 and liked it just because of its headcover and sleek black clubhead. There is a psychology to club buying and the look of this club will hurt sales.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1386089835' post='8242310']
The color scheme could have been better IMO. The blue, red, red bullseye looks cheesy and something that I could see at Dicks. I think if they went all black with come added color it would look much better. The staff bag and patent leather head-covers are Nickent level IMO.

With all that said, they both look good from above and the Alpha offers something new. I hope they have the FT sound and feel.
[/quote]

First is the look at address is a pretty classic dark shade. No graphics except for the classic chevron on the BB model. No other distractions. On that front, seems to me that they listened.

On the sole or even the sides of the club, well that's where they do their self promoting. If you're watching on TV and see the sole of the club you're going to know what he hit.

[b]I do care about what the backs/cavities of my irons look like, but I'm less anal about the soles of my woods and hybrids.[/b]
[/quote]

This is, quite possibly, the perfect GolfWRX statement. :clapping:

[quote name='south_side_lefty' timestamp='1386091961' post='8242464']
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1386089835' post='8242310']

[/quote]

[b]I do care about what the backs/cavities of my irons look like, but I'm less anal about the soles of my woods and hybrids.[/b]
[/quote]

This is, quite possibly, the perfect GolfWRX statement. :clapping:
[/quote]

I feel the same way

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1386088654' post='8242212']
From what I have gathered there are no other "free" shaft options. Perhaps Harry can chime in.
[/quote]

For serious? $500 and NO free shaft options? Are there at least some good ones for $100 more? If not, agree that there is major flop potential, UNLESS they lower the price to $349 by May or something (but I thought they weren't doing that either).

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1386092415' post='8242496']
From what I have gathered there are no other "free" shaft options. Perhaps Harry can chime in.
[/quote]

For serious? $500 and NO free shaft options? Are there at least some good ones for $100 more? If not, agree that there is major flop potential, UNLESS they lower the price to $349 by May or something (but I thought they weren't doing that either).
[/quote]

Like I said "from what I have gathered" I read few posts stating that it only came with the Fubuki and in the video with Harry/ Doc, they only mention the Fubuki. I could easily be wrong...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe that falls into the thought of being able to adjust the head weights and settings to reach your optimum settings using a single shaft that will fit a wide band of people.

who knows? hopefully someone can chime in on shafts. I'm not a fan of the one shaft option.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1386093265' post='8242574']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe that falls into the thought of being able to adjust the head weights and settings to reach your optimum settings using a single shaft that will fit a wide band of people.

who knows? hopefully someone can chime in on shafts. I'm not a fan of the one shaft option.
[/quote]

This is one of the reasons why I am assuming that there are no other shaft options at this time.

Go to 6:00 mark
http://youtu.be/Ds-nscPer2w

Go to 9:05 mark
http://youtu.be/ZR2BSj8qQ-U

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course there is an extensive list of custom shafts as well. Within this list there will be a cadre of free upgrade shafts. We haven't decided what those will be yet, but there will at least be a few to choose from if you don't want the stock ZT (which I believe is a $300 after market shaft, by the way).

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1386098817' post='8243066']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course there is an extensive list of custom shafts as well. Within this list there will be a cadre of free upgrade shafts. We haven't decided what those will be yet, but there will at least be a few to choose from if you don't want the stock ZT (which I believe is a $300 after market shaft, by the way).
[/quote]

There you go. I only have one Callaway club in my bag but that's going to change soon. Top job lads!

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1386098817' post='8243066']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you....

[/quote]

Harry chimed in looks like there will be like I mentioned before. This.is.AWESOME!!!!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Looks like some free shaft options throughout the Apex, Apex Pro, and BBA!! Loving it!!

I hit both drivers last night, and the X2hot Pro Hybrid and the BB 3 wood...Fubuki is not for me...I am wondering if it is similar to the Alpha..which I thought was too spinny for me. But man..they all felt good...really like the X2HotPro hybrid..still has that boxier toe like the standard hybrid, just smaller!!

All look great at address and if the BBA ends up being more forgiving than the RFE...in it goes! My XHP 3 wood is a beast..gonna take alot to get it out of the bag! X2Hot Pro hybrid has really good chance of knocking my Adams Pro Gold PNT out though!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1386100317' post='8243184']
Looks like some free shaft options throughout the Apex, Apex Pro, and BBA!! Loving it!!

I hit both drivers last night, and the X2hot Pro Hybrid and the BB 3 wood...Fubuki is not for me...I am wondering if it is similar to the Alpha..which I thought was too spinny for me. But man..they all felt good...really like the X2HotPro hybrid..still has that boxier toe like the standard hybrid, just smaller!!

All look great at address and if the BBA ends up being more forgiving than the RFE...in it goes! My XHP 3 wood is a beast..gonna take alot to get it out of the bag! X2Hot Pro hybrid has really good chance of knocking my Adams Pro Gold PNT out though!!
[/quote]

Does the BB Alpha sound/ feel like prior FT heads?