GolfWRX

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1386223036' post='8251221']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1386136779' post='8245973']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1386100317' post='8243184']
Looks like some free shaft options throughout the Apex, Apex Pro, and BBA!! Loving it!!

I hit both drivers last night, and the X2hot Pro Hybrid and the BB 3 wood...Fubuki is not for me...I am wondering if it is similar to the Alpha..which I thought was too spinny for me. But man..they all felt good...really like the X2HotPro hybrid..still has that boxier toe like the standard hybrid, just smaller!!

All look great at address and if the BBA ends up being more forgiving than the RFE...in it goes! My XHP 3 wood is a beast..gonna take alot to get it out of the bag! X2Hot Pro hybrid has really good chance of knocking my Adams Pro Gold PNT out though!!
[/quote]

Why must you continue to taunt me with the I just hit it comments, I am so jealous. We are normally a bit behind with product release here and being lefty its even harder again to get to hit the new stuff.
[/quote]
Sorry JB..just trying to give some feedback....if it helps didn't hit anything really well..working on the swing a bit and the stock shafts didn't help me at all..but good hits gave me alot of feedback on the heads and it said alot...but will have to wait for some heavier shafts...or get an Optiforce tip installed on one of my shafts to do some serious testing.
[/quote]

No problems at all. I was just bleating because I was jealous that many others will get to see and hit these a long time before i get to eyeball them in person. On a positive note, turned up on Saturday to play in the comp and my pro called me over and said check these out....... Guess what he had

demo - Apex and Apex pro irons
Man I was shocked. He only had the standard Apex in lefty but had both in right hand. I hit around 25 balls with the apex on the range straight away. The club was brand new, I was the first to hit. Maybe if the golfing gods align this week there were be a BB Alpha waiting there for me to try.

[quote name='leo the lion' timestamp='1386133434' post='8245789']
I wonder how TMAG will counter these two releases??? TMAG will not just sit on their asses with what they've already got out there. They will make a move. Could be interesting. I did not make the transition from R1 to SLDR based purely on forgiveness on off center hits............R1 was far better (for me)..........and when I popped in a Kiyoshi white into that big black R1 head, I had a match made in heaven.

Like several other WRX members I don't buy the 'price sticking' thing.............the sales numbers of these two products will start to drive a lower price point if sales start to lag. We'll see.

I had an all Callaway bag for 5 years and gradually it went to irons/hybrids only. Those X14 pro series irons are still a big fav of mine. I watched, helpless, as my beloved manufacturer Callaway fell by the wayside over a few years.........but now they are making a come-back and I can see them regaining market share with some great wood and iron offerings in 2014. Good on you Harry and I wish you and the team at Callaway all the best.............and I hope in the years to come that I can go back to having an all Callaway bag.
[/quote]

Theres a guy on YouTube that does head to head driver comparisons. He put the R1 vs the SLDR and the R1 was an avg of 1 yard longer.
Makes sense that your R1 is more forgiving. From what I've read on here, moving the weight forward isn't good for MOI. The guy also did a head to head with Callaway 3 Deep vs RBZ Stage 2 off a tee, and the 3 Deep spanked the RBZ.
I love my XHP stuff. But that BBA looks awesome!

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

[quote name='jgolf215' timestamp='1387511106' post='8326211']
[quote name='leo the lion' timestamp='1386133434' post='8245789']
I wonder how TMAG will counter these two releases??? TMAG will not just sit on their asses with what they've already got out there. They will make a move. Could be interesting. I did not make the transition from R1 to SLDR based purely on forgiveness on off center hits............R1 was far better (for me)..........and when I popped in a Kiyoshi white into that big black R1 head, I had a match made in heaven.

Like several other WRX members I don't buy the 'price sticking' thing.............the sales numbers of these two products will start to drive a lower price point if sales start to lag. We'll see.

I had an all Callaway bag for 5 years and gradually it went to irons/hybrids only. Those X14 pro series irons are still a big fav of mine. I watched, helpless, as my beloved manufacturer Callaway fell by the wayside over a few years.........but now they are making a come-back and I can see them regaining market share with some great wood and iron offerings in 2014. Good on you Harry and I wish you and the team at Callaway all the best.............and I hope in the years to come that I can go back to having an all Callaway bag.
[/quote]

Theres a guy on YouTube that does head to head driver comparisons. He put the R1 vs the SLDR and the R1 was an avg of 1 yard longer.
Makes sense that your R1 is more forgiving. From what I've read on here, moving the weight forward isn't good for MOI. The guy also did a head to head with Callaway 3 Deep vs RBZ Stage 2 off a tee, and the 3 Deep spanked the RBZ.
[/quote]

I have a Stage 2 and hit the SLDR. I didn't think the SLDR was anything special. My Stage 2 was better all the way around. Newer isn't always better. That said, I think the JetSpeed will be better than my Stage 2 but also I look forward to giving the BB a "spin". BTW, the G25 or other Callaway drivers couldn't compete with my Stage 2 either.

[/quote]

Just making sure you know...like the SLDR, the BBA has the CG closer to the face. So it has lower MOI, too. The BBA is more of a players driver, and the BB has higher MOI.

I think both the BBA and BB are awesome!

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1387513097' post='8326385']
[/quote]

Just making sure you know...like the SLDR, the BBA has the CG closer to the face. So it has lower MOI, too. The BBA is more of a players driver, and the BB has higher MOI.

I think both the BBA and BB are awesome!
[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware that the forward CG applies to the BBA as well. My comment was more directed at the look of the BBA. I agree that both look pretty sweet.
As one that went on the trip, did you hit both? If so which did you prefer and why?
I'd also be interested in what you thought of the X2HP driver as well, if you had the chance to hit that. I was very pleased with my XHP stuff this year.

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

I'm curious to hear Callaway's argument regarding MOI as it relates to CG and ball speed. According to Phil himself the CG of the alpha is right up against the face, so it's low MOI too. I realize the BB is higher than the alpha in MOI.

Now according to TMAG, the MOI difference between a rearward CG driver and a forward CG driver protects about 1/2 mph of ball speed across the face. But a forward CG adds 2 mph of ball speed. So which is more important? I haven't hit either of the BB drivers, but I'm interested to compare them to find out for myself, and cut through both sets of marketing hype.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

The BB and the Alpha are 2 different drivers and will be marketed as much.
Does the higher MOI in the regular BB make a difference? I wish I would have kept my numbers in the head to head comparison. They were noticeably different, the BB was much more forgiving resulting in higher ball speeds and better dispersion on offcenter hits.

#TeamCallaway

I know MOI was all the rage a few months ago, but personally I don't find the BBa or the SLDR to be that difficult to hit. I usually hit them in between the surrounding lines on the face (I check to see the ball mark and clean it off each time).

IIRC, the BB is 20% higher MOI than the BBa. #CallaWRX2 guys, am I remembering that right?

The R&D team also told us some comparison numbers between the BB and the SLDR in terms of MOI, but I can't remember those.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1388033215' post='8348969']
I know MOI was all the rage a few months ago, but personally I don't find the BBa or the SLDR to be that difficult to hit. I usually hit them in between the surrounding lines on the face (I check to see the ball mark and clean it off each time).

IIRC, the BB is 20% higher MOI than the BBa. #CallaWRX2 guys, am I remembering that right?

The R&D team also told us some comparison numbers between the BB and the SLDR in terms of MOI, but I can't remember those.
[/quote]

What? We were supposed to be taking notes? Oh Man! I didn't have a pen nor any paper at that meeting, and, and ...:) Heck, I even forgot to take my camera along.. :o[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I think John or Brad were supposed to be taking notes' err maybe Neil..[/size] :tongue:[size=4] .It's really hard to take notes with a glass of [s][u]wine[/u][/s] coffee in your hand..[/size] :drinks:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Hopefully someone will bail us out JP..[/size] :lol:[size=4] [/size]

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1388032375' post='8348917']
I am interested in getting an Alpha to test against my other drivers, need to see if the hype is legit!
[/quote]

I. B. said the hype was legit..:)

Dave Whitlam Anser 

for sure i am going to test the alpha/sldr/2.0 side by side this year. i know that some of early reports indicated that the alpha can more than hang with the SLDR if not beat it - but i take it with a grain of salt. were there numbers optimized with their gamer. did it perform on the course or just on TRACKMAN. fortunately for me - i will have the chance to hit these side by side same length/sw/etc and find out for myself. so far the alpha is third on the list based on looks/shape alone.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1388166370' post='8355067']
for sure i am going to test the alpha/sldr/2.0 side by side this year. i know that some of early reports indicated that the alpha can more than hang with the SLDR if not beat it - but i take it with a grain of salt. were there numbers optimized with their gamer. did it perform on the course or just on TRACKMAN. fortunately for me - i will have the chance to hit these side by side same length/sw/etc and find out for myself. so far the alpha is third on the list based on looks/shape alone.
[/quote]

Looking forward to your results...if I don't get there first!! I know you will be thorough to the point of nausea!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

:) [color=#000000][size=4][b]ad nau·se·am[/b][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3] ? [/size][/color] :tongue:

[size=4]I cannot wait to receive (BBA) mine..AND! for the snow to melt...unfortunately, winter has just begun..[/size] :drag:

[size=4]And, I as well am waiting for a side by side comparisons to the "top 5" driver front runners...should be interesting..[/size] :bb2:

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1386007855' post='8237444']
I will be gaming Apex Irons in 2014. But not these drivers. I will stick with the SLDR.
[/quote]

When did you hit the Big Berthas? I wanna demo them but I haven't seen anywhere that has them yet.

To make a statement like that, you must have hit them and they didn't perform as well as your SLDR. Otherwise, you have no basis for comparison and are clueless as to which one you hit better and are basing that decision on things other than which one perfoms better for you, which is just stupid.

For what reason would you want to play a club that might not perform as well? That makes zero sense.

[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1388523727' post='8375413']
[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1386007855' post='8237444']
I will be gaming Apex Irons in 2014. But not these drivers. I will stick with the SLDR.
[/quote]

When did you hit the Big Berthas? I wanna demo them but I haven't seen anywhere that has them yet.

To make a statement like that, you must have hit them and they didn't perform as well as your SLDR. Otherwise, you have no basis for comparison and are clueless as to which one you hit better and are basing that decision on things other than which one perfoms better for you, which is just stupid.

For what reason would you want to play a club that might not perform as well? That makes zero sense.
[/quote]the way I see it it's lose or lose for him. It sucks I know.

Don't bother with the BBA and sacrifice performance. Or test the BBA. See it's a performer. Buy it. And now your out of pocket the money you spent on the SLDR.

If the coin maters. And in my case it does. If I were him I wouldn't test the BBA. In this case ignorance is bliss. Lol.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

Until Callaway releases the BBA in a loft higher than 9*, it won't have a shot at the champ (SLDR). I need an open face. If this head is so low spin, I won't be able to keep it in the air...

Interesting decision to only release the Alpha in one loft...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1388610595' post='8380363']
Until Callaway releases the BBA in a loft higher than 9*, it won't have a shot at the champ (SLDR). I need an open face. If this head is so low spin, I won't be able to keep it in the air...

Interesting decision to only release the Alpha in one loft...
[/quote]

Pretty sure it's available in 10.5 as well...

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a fitting session today with these and wow is all I can say atm. They are longer than the RFX and OPtiforce. They both produced great results when using the adjustability. That gravity core thing has a big effect on the ball flight.
For me the BBA just gave me that better launch and ball flight I am after. I really like the BB and think either one I cold play but for me the BBA was a fly's nuts better. Both will sell like hot cakes and are they are hyped up to be. I hit the x 2 hot fairways and they are crazy long.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1389857323' post='8469933']
I went to a fitting session today with these and wow is all I can say atm. They are longer than the RFX and OPtiforce. They both produced great results when using the adjustability. That gravity core thing has a big effect on the ball flight.
For me the BBA just gave me that better launch and ball flight I am after. I really like the BB and think either one I cold play but for me the BBA was a fly's nuts better. Both will sell like hot cakes and are they are hyped up to be. I hit the x 2 hot fairways and they are crazy long.
[/quote]Did you try X2 Hot pro Driver?

[/quote]

Did you hit the BB fwys by chance?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1389883445' post='8470835']
[/quote]

Did you hit the BB fwys by chance?
[/quote]
+1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1389897046' post='8472171']
Look at the cool coins that Cally is handing out at the PGA show next week.
[/quote]

I want!!!!! Those are awesome

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord