Callaway Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

I can't wait for these to come out. I'm itching to swing the BB something fierce! I love my X Hot! But this BB has adjustable technology that can really fine tune the ball flight to the player. The question is, where does Callaway go from here?

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally hit Bertha..awesome.

Found that having the gravity core down was ideal, it gave me the best looking flight. I ended up with the following settings and I hit the BBA with the ZT xstiff shaft. It wasn't cut to my length at 44.5 or 44.75 but I managed.

Hosel - N, +2 and +1 - Both worked
Gravity Core - Down
Weights - 7 heel, 1 toe

Got my spin from 2800 down to 2300 and launching around 14, also got around 10 yards more carry which was nice to see. I'll say that it isn't the same feel as the Optiforce, which I LOVE but it is less harsh feeling than the RFX and XHP from last year. Sounds very nice though!

Like I said before, I ordered it with the ZT cut to play 44.5 and in Xstiff. Regarding the shaft, I think it does play nicely, I've never really got along with the Fubuki series but this one felt nice and smooth, easy to load too. The stiff didn't feel too bad either.

[attachment=2033627:image.jpg]

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='juggernaut0629' timestamp='1390417562' post='8510227']
I can't wait for these to come out. I'm itching to swing the BB something fierce! I love my X Hot! But this BB has adjustable technology that can really fine tune the ball flight to the player. The question is, where does Callaway go from here?
[/quote]

This is kind of what alot of us said last year...How does Callaway do better than this..and BOOM!! there you go...CAN'T wait to see what is up Doc Hock's sleeve next year!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='sweetswingin' timestamp='1390489591' post='8516087'][list]
[*]Death to all White Headed Drivers!!!
[/list]
[/quote]

YES???? What was the next bullet point?

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='sweetswingin' timestamp='1390489591' post='8516087']
[list]
[*]Death to all White Headed Drivers!!!
[/list]
[/quote]

Um...OK...?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I think that people may find a bit more accuracy off the tee. I know with my Ft Optiforce I do already, but hitting this last night showed me it is just as accurate and I gained distance.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

Fess up if you are using range balls for testing. lol

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1390502358' post='8517471']
[/quote]

I would think that would be the great majority of people here.

How many people have access to hit outdoors, see the whole flight, and not use range balls? It's either done inside with real balls, which has it's own limits, or outside with range balls, which also sucks.

Thank goodness PGASS has a deal where you can take their demo clubs out of the store for a few days and get a chance to actually hit them for real. As soon as the i25 driver comes out, that's the first thing I'm doing. I happen to have five shafts that are my preferred length and with the right tips already on there so it makes it much, much easier.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390508594' post='8518155']
Thanks for the video, nice introduction to the BBA. Question: Was the spin rate between the first and second shot a fair assessment? being the first shot was a slight draw and the second shot a power fade?
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. However that means there would be an even bigger difference in the spin rate since a power fade "SHOULD" produce more backspin than a draw.......correct??

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1390508896' post='8518179']
[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390508594' post='8518155']
Thanks for the video, nice introduction to the BBA. Question: Was the spin rate between the first and second shot a fair assessment? being the first shot was a slight draw and the second shot a power fade?
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. However that means there would be an even bigger difference in the spin rate since a power fade "SHOULD" produce more backspin than a draw.......correct??
[/quote]That's what i'm thinking, but i'm not the wizardl of golf. I would like to see a series of 5 shots with one GC setting, and 5 similar shots with the GC weight set the opposite, and then get an average of the spin rates. I can only take his word for it that the core setting makes a significant spin rate difference, the video really didn't make it that conclusive based on the frequency and way he swung the club. Maybe i'm wrong?

[sub]You're right about that Gski![/sub]

[sub]I was able to SEE a difference in the ball flight after I hit it with the GC up and down, I preferred it to be down and got a much better flight with it that way. I could see that spin was knocked off as well as a more penetrating flight and it didn't just fall out of the sky like a knuckle ball, it had enough spin to still get a lot of carry and a strong flight. I really liked it and I am glad I ordered it![/sub]

The only thing I see in my mind that Callaway could do to "better" these clubs, is add distance. Right now everything seems to be so straight and yet still workable. I love my XHot, but I did sacrifice 20 yrds or so in distance when I switched from my Titleist 910 D3. I was just a little more consistant with the Callaway. So I'll take accuracy over distance any day. Within reason of course.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1390366135' post='8506791']
[quote name='DrunkMonkey' timestamp='1390364975' post='8506691']
Have there been any sightings of the Big Berthas being available for demo yet? I'm supposed to be notified by the Callaway fitting studio here in Columbus when they are available so that I can get a fitting, but I'm somewhat impatient at the moment. I was hoping maybe they've started to trickle out or at least maybe someone has an idea of when they'll show up.
[/quote]

I was told most places will have demo and fitting stock around the end of January, as I am waiting to get a full fitting myself from the #CallaWRX2 trip.
[/quote]

Is it a case that they'll notify you when they are available or do you have to check with them every so often to see when they come in? Either way, if you could let us know when you're going to get that done, it'd be great.

[quote name='DrunkMonkey' timestamp='1390522983' post='8519755']
[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1390366135' post='8506791']
[quote name='DrunkMonkey' timestamp='1390364975' post='8506691']
Have there been any sightings of the Big Berthas being available for demo yet? I'm supposed to be notified by the Callaway fitting studio here in Columbus when they are available so that I can get a fitting, but I'm somewhat impatient at the moment. I was hoping maybe they've started to trickle out or at least maybe someone has an idea of when they'll show up.
[/quote]

I was told most places will have demo and fitting stock around the end of January, as I am waiting to get a full fitting myself from the #CallaWRX2 trip.
[/quote]

Is it a case that they'll notify you when they are available or do you have to check with them every so often to see when they come in? Either way, if you could let us know when you're going to get that done, it'd be great.
[/quote]

Will do! I'm planning to get pictures and numbers and write about the fitting, likely to be posted in the #CallaWRX2 thread. The Performance Center i'm planning on going to is opening in Cincinnati on February 8th i think, so It will be around that time that I go for my fitting. From brief email exchange with the manager there (Miles of Golf- Cincinnati), fitting stock shouldnt be a problem by the time they open.

#TeamCallaway

Any address pics of the 13.5? Would like to see how open or closed it sets up in the "N"/square position.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1390523862' post='8519837']

Will do! I'm planning to get pictures and numbers and write about the fitting, likely to be posted in the #CallaWRX2 thread. The Performance Center i'm planning on going to is opening in Cincinnati on February 8th i think, so It will be around that time that I go for my fitting. From brief email exchange with the manager there (Miles of Golf- Cincinnati), fitting stock shouldnt be a problem by the time they open.
[/quote]

You could always make the extra hour and a half drive to Columbus. At the moment, they are the only Callaway fitting studio in Ohio, until the Cincy one opens. I've never had a proper, thorough fitting for the driver, so I'm looking forward to it.

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1390502884' post='8517531']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1390502358' post='8517471']
[/quote]

I would think that would be the great majority of people here.

How many people have access to hit outdoors, see the whole flight, and not use range balls? It's either done inside with real balls, which has it's own limits, or outside with range balls, which also sucks.

Thank goodness PGASS has a deal where you can take their demo clubs out of the store for a few days and get a chance to actually hit them for real. As soon as the i25 driver comes out, that's the first thing I'm doing. I happen to have five shafts that are my preferred length and with the right tips already on there so it makes it much, much easier.
[/quote]

I just think it is funny whenever I hear it regarding any new club, because it renders the results suspect. Numbers for range balls can be very different than numbers with a golfer's ball of choice. For all the threads we hear regarding, "I hit it well in the store..." so many haven't figured out why clubs don't always work as well at the course.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I was able to use my SR3 indoors on a flight scope.

[quote name='DrunkMonkey' timestamp='1390529250' post='8520359']
[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1390523862' post='8519837']
[/quote]

You could always make the extra hour and a half drive to Columbus. At the moment, they are the only Callaway fitting studio in Ohio, until the Cincy one opens. I've never had a proper, thorough fitting for the driver, so I'm looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Thought about it, but decided to wait on the CPC for my full fitting. Besides it gives me a few weeks to straighten my swing out LOL.

#TeamCallaway

[quote name='manhattan' timestamp='1390502554' post='8517491']
Hi,

here is the video

Man

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItwUYMp0aM&list=UUIlrybYS6FSq1t8fhNXXNAQ[/media]
[/quote]

Here is the Big Bertha.
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_r15ldZs8&list=UUIlrybYS6FSq1t8fhNXXNAQ[/media]

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

For some reason I thought the Alpha was a 440cc head? Damn, I wad really looking forward to hitting it but now idk..

Jk! Still pretty pumped about hitting it. Gonna be another expensive year...

Big Bertha Alpha- $500
SM5 Wedges- $260
Big Bertha 3wd- $270
SLDR Hybrid- $220
Another year of club ho-ing- $Priceless$

[center][b]Titleist 915 D3 9.5* [/b]w/ Aldila Rogue 125msi 70TX[/center]
[center][b]Titleist 915F 13.5*[/b] w/ Diamana White 80s[/center]
[center][b]Ping Anser 20*[/b] w/ VTS Black TSPX 85x[/center]
[center][b]Titleist AP2 714 4-PW[/b] w/ Steelfiber i110cw s[/center]
[center][b]Vokey SM5 50*[/b] w/ DG S300[/center]
[center][b]Vokey TVD M 54*, SM5 K 58* [/b]w/ DG S300[/center]
[center][b]Scotty Cameron Newport[/b] Mil-Spec, 35"[/center]
[center][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/874426-gics-2013-witb-pic-heavy/"]WITB Link[/url][/center]

[quote name='TRS30' timestamp='1390572527' post='8522809']
Ok, have tried to look through all 16 pages so might have missed it..

Is the Fubuki in the BBA an aftermarket one or made for version?
[/quote]Both are aftermarket.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[/quote]

They are using the newest Fubuki line.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/918475-new-generation-of-fubukis-photos-added-from-fryscom/

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1390573930' post='8522943']

[/quote]Both are aftermarket.
[/quote]

Thanks, was hoping it wasn't like a Mizuno made for version.

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1390574027' post='8522953']

[/quote]

They are using the newest Fubuki line.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/918475-new-generation-of-fubukis-photos-added-from-fryscom/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...d-from-fryscom/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks.

How does this play compared to the K?