Callaway Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1391559729' post='8599501']
[quote name='bogeywoods03' timestamp='1391558954' post='8599427']
Interesting how out here in California none of the golf shops have either the BB or Alpha yet to hit...
[/quote]

I just saw some in a pro shop today in San Jose, but didn't ask about hitting them. BB driver and FW, but no Alpha.
[/quote]

was it a golfsmith?

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1391558449' post='8599377']
The old Razr Fit weights will fit. Also the club comes with 2 weights in addition to what are in the club 1, 3, 5, 7 are the weights they give you. Heavier ones just use the old black Razr Fit weights until they get the chrome ones available.. I tried them to make sure...
[/quote]not for the BB. Only the BBA.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='bogeywoods03' timestamp='1391559971' post='8599519']
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1391559729' post='8599501']
[quote name='bogeywoods03' timestamp='1391558954' post='8599427']
Interesting how out here in California none of the golf shops have either the BB or Alpha yet to hit...
[/quote]

I just saw some in a pro shop today in San Jose, but didn't ask about hitting them. BB driver and FW, but no Alpha.
[/quote]

was it a golfsmith?
[/quote]

On course pro shop.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1391562144' post='8599725']
The old Razr Fit weights will fit. Also the club comes with 2 weights in addition to what are in the club 1, 3, 5, 7 are the weights they give you. Heavier ones just use the old black Razr Fit weights until they get the chrome ones available.. I tried them to make sure...
[/quote]

I assumed the alpha was what the question was about.. I haven't seen or hit a BB, so unaware of it's weight situation. Pretty much been using my reps. Alpha until I can buy mine next week...

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1391576474' post='8601457']
[/quote]

I assumed the alpha was what the question was about.. I haven't seen or hit a BB, so unaware of it's weight situation. Pretty much been using my reps. Alpha until I can buy mine next week...
[/quote]yea the weight kit only comes with the BBA.

As someone previously mentioned can use the optifit weights for finer tuning and they will work on both BB & BBA. Hence you can change the SW as you see fit.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1391577158' post='8601489']
[/quote]

As someone previously mentioned can use the optifit weights for finer tuning and they will work on both BB & BBA. Hence you can change the SW as you see fit.
[/quote]

Good to hear you can get additional weights for the BBA as Callaway Europe cannot guarantee they can get my 44.5' BBA back up to D3.

Question for those that have hit, and better yet been fit for the BBA driver. Have any of you found that the club works better for you with the spin adjustment setup for higher spin? I think the option to adjust the spin separate from loft is a nice idea, but is anyone finding that they want more spin?

I like this idea, but it seems that it leaves the door wide open for a driver that has adjustment that is more than just high or low. I hope this adjustment doesnt turn out like the Taylormade ASP plate where they added more settings each year.

All that said I think that all of these changes are only good for us that dont have tour level fitting avail, so you can get more quickly and accuratly fitted into a driver. I dont think the numbers that this driver could produce as far as spin/distance havnt already been done with some hot melt, and lead tape on any number of older model heads........

Finally was able to hit the Alpha today!!! I had ruled out the Big Bertha as it was just too high of spin for me, close to 3600-4000.

So it was the Alpha vs the X2HP. Alpha, with Gravity Core down, put my spin 2300-2600, with the highest being just a tad over 3,000 on a big miss hit.

Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha!!!!! :taunt:

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

I saw similar spin numbers when I hit the BBA a couple of weeks ago. I have never been able to get my spin under 3200. BBA was 2200 - 2400 with Gravity Core down and 2600 - 2800 with GC up. I am going to the ECPC in Carlsbad next week for a fitting. Can't wait to put the BBA through its paces.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jdub_ut' timestamp='1391739008' post='8613261']
I saw similar spin numbers when I hit the BBA a couple of weeks ago. I have never been able to get my spin under 3200. BBA was 2200 - 2400 with Gravity Core down and 2600 - 2800 with GC up. I am going to the ECPC in Carlsbad next week for a fitting. Can't wait to put the BBA through its paces.
[/quote]

I love your avatar man, it's 100% accurate!

[quote name='Rustynuts' timestamp='1391674020' post='8608223']
Intersting we just got the price list and all the shaft upgrades available to us down here and we get the new speeder 661 and 757!! And they are quite cheap. Looking through shaft options on the US site these shafts aren't an option?
[/quote]

I HOPE this means we will have these as options soon in the US...or an overhaul of the shaft list in general.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1391577158' post='8601489']
[/quote]

[/quote] Need help and you got this dialed so here I go. Want to order BB with GD DI 6X to play at 45". Will my SW be a D2? If not Callaway said that they cannot give me a heavier screw for the head to SW it right? Please help??? Thanks as always...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

I want to say they are including the weights of 1,3,5,7.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

You can buy up to a 15gr optifit weight. So yes you can make it D2.

The stock weight is a 4gr. So by going with a 15 you can bring it up 4.5 swing points roughly. 2gr = 1 swing point.

I saw both the BBA and the BB last weekend at GG. Very nice looking clubs. I like the metallic colored face and non painted soles. I didn't bother hitting them though because it will be a long time before these are in my price range. That and my X Hot driver is still working well for me.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='foggedz' timestamp='1391637511' post='8605663']
Question for those that have hit, and better yet been fit for the BBA driver. Have any of you found that the club works better for you with the spin adjustment setup for higher spin? I think the option to adjust the spin separate from loft is a nice idea, but is anyone finding that they want more spin?

I like this idea, but it seems that it leaves the door wide open for a driver that has adjustment that is more than just high or low. I hope this adjustment doesnt turn out like the Taylormade ASP plate where they added more settings each year.

All that said I think that all of these changes are only good for us that dont have tour level fitting avail, so you can get more quickly and accuratly fitted into a driver. I dont think the numbers that this driver could produce as far as spin/distance havnt already been done with some hot melt, and lead tape on any number of older model heads........
[/quote]
I tried this extensively yesterday...and for me the high cg worked better. I ordered this with the Tour Green and that is the shaft I tried. For me the standard setup with the GC high worked better. With the low CG the ball seemed to fall out of the sky without enough spin. Shocking to me because I am always fighting too much spin.

If I was patient enough to wait I would actually order the 10.5, set it a degree lower to open the face and then see which way the GC works best from there. IMO if you add even a degree of loft to this head it looks visually shut...which I do not care for.

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1391872409' post='8622553']

If I was patient enough to wait I would actually order the 10.5, set it a degree lower to open the face and then see which way the GC works best from there. IMO if you add even a degree of loft to this head it looks visually shut...which I do not care for.
[/quote]

I don't understand why the 10.5 ALPHA is not going to be released for a few months and only the 9 will be available. I tested the 9.0 at GOLFSMITH today. I had them crank the loft up to 11 degrees. I couldn't believe how low spin this is. I normally am around 3000 rpm in almost every setup. The alpha I was at 2000 to 2300 rpm with the stock FUBUKI. Between the ALPHA and the BERTHA, the Bertha actually felt the better of the 2, but no matter the setting , I was hitting strong draw/hooks. The ALPHA head had a lighter and harder feel off the face. My best hits were with the ALPHA, by 10 yards, but misses were better distance wise with the BERTHA I think the OBAN KIYOSHI white or BLack tie 6M3 would be Perfect in the bertha. I think a 10.5 ALPHA with a heavier head weight would be also worth checking out.

[quote name='Benjithx' timestamp='1391899333' post='8625423']
Hit an alpha at GG, bought a new head on the bay that night. Felt great, looks amazing, and sounded solid.
I've got a new 757 sitting here waiting for it. Can't wait!
[/quote]

It is a canon. Callaway nailed it. Spin, speed, looks and sound. Ohh... This sounds bad but the head cover on the Alpha has to cost 3x any other in the market. Awesome.

I went with the non Alpha over the Alpha. Liked the larger look and that confidence allowed for better smash factors and swing speeds. I could go either way if I needed to.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1391924301' post='8627663']
[quote name='Benjithx' timestamp='1391899333' post='8625423']
Hit an alpha at GG, bought a new head on the bay that night. Felt great, looks amazing, and sounded solid.
I've got a new 757 sitting here waiting for it. Can't wait!
[/quote]

It is a canon. Callaway nailed it. Spin, speed, looks and sound. Ohh... This sounds bad but the head cover on the Alpha has to cost 3x any other in the market. Awesome.

I went with the non Alpha over the Alpha. Liked the larger look and that confidence allowed for better smash factors and swing speeds. I could go either way if I needed to.
[/quote]

What shaft did you go with, Easyyy?

I tired both of these drivers at GS the other day, and was taken back by the back that both drivers don't seem to spin very much at all. Is this what others are finding ? I liked the look of both of the drivers, kinda leaning to the BB or the BBA but will have to test some more. Has anyone done a head to head comparison with here drivers and the TM SLDR ?

[quote name='2puttchris' timestamp='1391957722' post='8628741']
I tired both of these drivers at GS the other day, and was taken back by the back that both drivers don't seem to spin very much at all. Is this what others are finding ? I liked the look of both of the drivers, kinda leaning to the BB or the BBA but will have to test some more. Has anyone done a head to head comparison with here drivers and the TM SLDR ?
[/quote]

I will do a direct comparison to the SLDR, but it will have to wait until both drivers ship. I actually want a 10.5 on the Alpha which means 4/1 ship date. I know I will need 10* or higher and I don't want to close down the 9* head - I want to open or play square the 10.5* head. I'm pretty sensitive to face angle.

I should be able to compare SLDR, BB, and BBa all with Kaili 60X for a nice shoot out direct comparison once I actually get everything.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track