2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

Hit the alpha today with the stock zt. All I can say is it is a monster. I average around 112 SS and 2200 rpm with my sldr with a VC 7.2 x ts. The stock zt gave an average spin rate around 1800 rpm. I picked up almost 3 mph of ball speed as well. Now I just have to convince myself not to drop $500 on another driver this year.

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1392438517' post='8671993']
Hit the alpha today with the stock zt. All I can say is it is a monster. I average around 112 SS and 2200 rpm with my sldr with a VC 7.2 x ts. The stock zt gave an average spin rate around 1800 rpm. I picked up almost 3 mph of ball speed as well. Now I just have to convince myself not to drop $500 on another driver this year.
[/quote]

Trade bait the SLDR to soften the blow....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1392438751' post='8672023']
[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1392438517' post='8671993']
[/quote]

Trade bait the SLDR to soften the blow....
[/quote]

Not a bad idea

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

[quote name='5 O'Clock Charlie' timestamp='1392506854' post='8676127']
Bertha's Back!!!!...........20 yards behind my Optiforce? What??? Love the look, not sold on the feel. Anyone else not enamored with it? I may try it again not sure yet. Of course that was the stock BBA and it felt a bit heavy for me.
[/quote]
I am not sold on the feel either based on indoor demo experience today but the numbers I was producing were quite impressive for me. I may have to get over the feel.

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1392507024' post='8676147']
Bertha's Back!!!!...........20 yards behind my Optiforce? What??? Love the look, not sold on the feel. Anyone else not enamored with it? I may try it again not sure yet. Of course that was the stock BBA and it felt a bit heavy for me.
[/quote]
I am not sold on the feel either based on indoor demo experience today but the numbers I was producing were quite impressive for me. I may have to get over the feel.
[/quote]Feel changes depending on GC placement, also heel and toe weights and shaft change acoustics. I have mine...Alpha...at 44.75, minus 1 degree, GC low and I still have found other drivers that spin less....on LM....jury is still out until I put it in play for real world results. I hope it is not a glorified RFE.

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1392405624' post='8668667']
[quote name='yoder9339' timestamp='1392300452' post='8658729']
[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1392259272' post='8656787']
I'm so stoked!

[attachment=2066947:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Jealous! I ordered to BBA with a custom shaft. Callaway box arrived yesterday - - Right shaft with BB head. Sigh. I am heading to Florida next week for a winter reprieve and probably won't have the driver to take. By the way the BB head looks great. I tried to get Callaway to just send me a head to swap but they can't do that. The BBA may not make its debut until Indiana spring!
[/quote]

We are playing golf in Indiana next week! :)
[/quote]
Shouldn't have any problem finding a tee time.

[quote name='black03svtcobra' timestamp='1392519773' post='8677247']
Pull fade what drivers have you found that spin less? I'm lefty and yet to find a bba to try out. Thanks.
[/quote]

I am a lefty as well. I have tried the 913, Anser, BB, Cobra Bio Cell and BBA. The BBA was lowest spin of all. My swing speed varied from 105-112 during the fitting and with an AD DI 6, the spin was the lowest of all and the ball speed was the highest of all. I ordered the BBA.

[quote name='JTD0314' timestamp='1392551910' post='8678427']
Pull fade what drivers have you found that spin less? I'm lefty and yet to find a bba to try out. Thanks.
[/quote]

I am a lefty as well. I have tried the 913, Anser, BB, Cobra Bio Cell and BBA. The BBA was lowest spin of all. My swing speed varied from 105-112 during the fitting and with an AD DI 6, the spin was the lowest of all and the ball speed was the highest of all. I ordered the BBA.
[/quote]

Honestly the lowest spinning head I have hit was the SLDR. I normally play a 9.5 and going to a 10.5 in the SLDR I was getting awful results and launching it too low combined with low spin.

The BBA is a low spin head, but I wouldn't consider it SLDR low spin which is why I like it. All TM is doing is moving weight so spin changes and you need to change trajectory. Multiple ways to get the same answer. I'm getting the BBA in 10.5 as it will allow me more low/mid launch shafts to play around with than the 9 degree. Also I like the settings one open so it allows me to have 10 loft with a slightly open club face.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I'm going to ask this question again because I think it got lost on the last page. Hoping since you guys are talking about spin someone might have an answer.

There has been plenty of talk and evidence of the gravity core being able to lower spin by 500-600 rpm which is definitely incredible. But this is advertised as a low spin head by nature as well, right? I am wondering if it is feasible to expect ~1000 rpm decreases in spin? Particularly coming from razr fit xtreme. Anyone have any info for me?

Also, what can 600 rpm lower relate to in yards?

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1392556264' post='8678557']
[quote name='JTD0314' timestamp='1392551910' post='8678427']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly the lowest spinning head I have hit was the SLDR. I normally play a 9.5 and going to a 10.5 in the SLDR I was getting awful results and launching it too low combined with low spin.

The BBA is a low spin head, but I wouldn't consider it SLDR low spin which is why I like it. All TM is doing is moving weight so spin changes and you need to change trajectory. Multiple ways to get the same answer. I'm getting the BBA in 10.5 as it will allow me more low/mid launch shafts to play around with than the 9 degree. Also I like the settings one open so it allows me to have 10 loft with a slightly open club face.
[/quote]

SLDR is low spin however it has a couple of flaws IMO... It is very low MOI and very low launch.

This means that you need to go up in loft to get the required launch out of it, going up in loft adds spin... Kinda defeats the purpose a little really.

The low MOI is a difficult one to get around it will be unforgiving regardless of what you do due to the COG location which is also responsible for the low spin.

Big Bertha Alpha is MUCH more forgiving, and launches higher than the SLDR whilst maintaining very low spin the ball speed is a little higher too (for me 5mph higher)

Overall the BBA is a more "complete" package IMO, it has a better balance of spin v launch v forgiveness and better ball speed to go with it.

[quote name='xjohnx' timestamp='1392557942' post='8678663']
I'm going to ask this question again because I think it got lost on the last page. Hoping since you guys are talking about spin someone might have an answer.

There has been plenty of talk and evidence of the gravity core being able to lower spin by 500-600 rpm which is definitely incredible. But this is advertised as a low spin head by nature as well, right? I am wondering if it is feasible to expect ~1000 rpm decreases in spin? Particularly coming from razr fit xtreme. Anyone have any info for me?

Also, what can 600 rpm lower relate to in yards?
[/quote]

RFX was very low spin, BBA is similar but has higher launch, higher MOI and better ball speed (about 3-5mph more) for a comparable loft.

[quote name='lefty74pgh' timestamp='1392563194' post='8679041']
I hit both the Alpha and BB yesterday at a demo day. With both stock a Fubuki shafts. They were good, but not worth the cost. I was getting better results from the X Hot2 Pro.
[/quote]

Good Man!! Go with what works best...! Alot of people will try the BB and BBA, but they should NOT overlook the X2HP! I love the feel of the that driver, soft and responsive, yet powerfull. Not quite as forgiving as the X2HOT or the Bertha when dialed in, but really really good driver! I will be testing it thoroughly also. Love the head shape.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[/quote]For me the original Cleveland Classic 290 had very little spin but still launched high enough. It was a tour issue with Miyazaki White installed. Also the SLDR 430 had very good numbers, but as many have said it is not the most forgiving driver out there. Ping I20 also and will try the I25 soon.

FYI, for those who have not tried the BBA: Acoustics are quote muted. I tested it at an indoor facility and finally got to take it out on the course on Sat. All I can say is that its very muted compared to my XHot Pro I hit last year. Obviously less forgiving than the XHP as well. On another note, I was hitting it in places I usually don't even reach in the summer time! I hit through two fairways because it was too long!! I will be at the range every day dialing it in, because next Saturday I will be at the Mecca of Golf:

PEBBLE BEACH!!!!

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

[quote name='tsur1' timestamp='1392584409' post='8681017']
FYI, for those who have not tried the BBA: Acoustics are quote muted. I tested it at an indoor facility and finally got to take it out on the course on Sat. All I can say is that its very muted compared to my XHot Pro I hit last year. Obviously less forgiving than the XHP as well. On another note, I was hitting it in places I usually don't even reach in the summer time! I hit through two fairways because it was too long!! I will be at the range every day dialing it in, because next Saturday I will be at the Mecca of Golf:

PEBBLE BEACH!!!!
[/quote]

Good luck at Pebble next week! Let us know how the BBA does on that track.

Thanks!! And most definitely!!!

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

I have tested the BBA now on two separate occasions, the first time was indoors with the stock X flex shaft. Was very unimpressed with the head as pretty much everything else that I hit that day beat it.

I decided to test it again on an outdoor Trackman, this time I hit the head with 6.2 Speeder TS, 7.3 Speeder TS, and an Oban White 65. All shafts that have worked for me in the past. Different day, different shafts, different monitor, same results. The head feels dead to me, sets up shut, feels and sounds not nearly as good as prior Callaway heads that I have grown to love like the FT's and RFX. On top of that the results are lacking. Tried numerous different settings and the best results that I had were with the 6.2 TS. Ball Speed 160 12.5 Launch 2700 Spin, considerably shorter than my gamer. There is no doubt for me that I would have to play a lower lofted head and then find a shaft that will let me launch it higher, while keeping the spin down (probably not going to happen). I don't plan on spending any more time or money testing it unless a lower lofted head is offered. Even then it would need to smoke my gamer to get into the bag. i25 and SLDR 430 both beat the BBA and I much prefer the sound/look/feel of the 913s that yield similar results. I am still yet to truly test the CT 2.0, I would be interested to see if that also beats the BBA.

I know that Callaway has a 5 year "war plan" or something like that and in their eyes if you not leading, you leap frog. I just don't see it, IMO the BBA is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Another site did a very in depth, detailed review on all the new drivers that I feel is very accurate, I think the BBA finished 9th. I truly hope that if anyone spent their valued funds and blindly bought the BBA based off the "hype" are happy with their $500 purchases.

Can't wait for mine to arrive. USPS has been less than stellar in delivering it on time. Was supposed to be here Friday. Slightly worrying, but hoping it arrives tomorrow!

TaylorMade M5-Matrix Ozik Altus Proto
Ping i20 3wood

TaylorMade R11TP
Titleist AP2, CB Combo S300
Titleist SM 9- 54
Titleist SM 6- 58
Odyssey O-Works #7

[quote name='IU06' timestamp='1392588151' post='8681405']
Can't wait for mine to arrive. USPS has been less than stellar in delivering it on time. Was supposed to be here Friday. Slightly worrying, but hoping it arrives tomorrow!
[/quote]

It will be worth the wait my man. Enjoy that new stick!!!

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392587664' post='8681361']
I have tested the BBA now on two separate occasions, the first time was indoors with the stock X flex shaft. Was very unimpressed with the head as pretty much everything else that I hit that day beat it.

I decided to test it again on an outdoor Trackman, this time I hit the head with 6.2 Speeder TS, 7.3 Speeder TS, and an Oban White 65. All shafts that have worked for me in the past. Different day, different shafts, different monitor, same results. The head feels dead to me, sets up shut, feels and sounds not nearly as good as prior Callaway heads that I have grown to love like the FT's and RFX. On top of that the results are lacking. Tried numerous different settings and the best results that I had were with the 6.2 TS. Ball Speed 160 12.5 Launch 2700 Spin, considerably shorter than my gamer. There is no doubt for me that I would have to play a lower lofted head and then find a shaft that will let me launch it higher, while keeping the spin down (probably not going to happen). I don't plan on spending any more time or money testing it unless a lower lofted head is offered. Even then it would need to smoke my gamer to get into the bag. i25 and SLDR 430 both beat the BBA and I much prefer the sound/look/feel of the 913s that yield similar results. I am still yet to truly test the CT 2.0, I would be interested to see if that also beats the BBA.

I know that Callaway has a 5 year "war plan" or something like that and in their eyes if you not leading, you leap frog. I just don't see it, IMO the BBA is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Another site did a very in depth, detailed review on all the new drivers that I feel is very accurate, I think the BBA finished 9th. I truly hope that if anyone spent their valued funds and blindly bought the BBA based off the "hype" are happy with their $500 purchases.
[/quote]I would hope you are wrong, but from my limited use I have to agree. Couldn't get my Alpha much under 3K. Hoping it is LM error! But possibly operator error....

[/quote]

I haven't seen a BBA set up shut in a standard setting, perhaps in the added loft settings but I don't use it in anything but the -1 N setting.

BBA for me has also been the king of ball speed, beating Titleist, TMAG, Ping, Cobra, Wilson and other models of Callaway woods.

Launches reasonably high for the given loft/spin too.

Perhaps you have been trying a "bad" head?

[/quote]

Optiforce is one of the most underrated drivers from the past few years.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[/quote]

As with any club blindly buying it is the risk you run of not liking it. The BBA didn't perform for you, the SLDR was the worst head I have ever hit... ever, and I am sure the covert 2.0 didn't work for Joe Shmoe. Everyone's swing is different and results vary.
Sounds like the TM hate has turned Callaway hate. Your "feel" of a very accurate review is interesting to say the least. Any test that has that much variability to it has as much merit as you believe... Just like the hype Callaway has put out.

I think it's refreshing a company is hyping their product and proud of it. Nike hyped their stuff for a while last year (not as much) but it looks like who they signed didn't work out that well in year 1.

Play what works, but realize just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its smoke and mirrors. I would say the SLDR is but Tai loves it.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='UnderPar18' timestamp='1392591088' post='8681781']

[/quote]

As with any club blindly buying it is the risk you run of not liking it. The BBA didn't perform for you, the SLDR was the worst head I have ever hit... ever, and I am sure the covert 2.0 didn't work for Joe Shmoe. Everyone's swing is different and results vary.
Sounds like the TM hate has turned Callaway hate. Your "feel" of a very accurate review is interesting to say the least. Any test that has that much variability to it has as much merit as you believe... Just like the hype Callaway has put out.

I think it's refreshing a company is hyping their product and proud of it. Nike hyped their stuff for a while last year (not as much) but it looks like who they signed didn't work out that well in year 1.

Play what works, but realize just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its smoke and mirrors. I would say the SLDR is but Tai loves it.
[/quote]

I agree that not everyone is going to have the same results as I did, I honestly do hope that the people that purchase the BBA are very happy with it. In regards to "hate" I have zero hate for any club manufacture, I would gladly play clubs built by Hyundai if it helped my game. I do however dislike when good companies over hype clubs like Callaway did with the BBA and act like they invented something in lines with Newton (it's like TMAG telling us that white helps with alignment). Yes I realize they have played the Newton card before, but this is the product that was worthy of bringing him back. The club is simply not as revolutionary as they have made it out to be. For me the Gravity core reduced spin minimally, and if you catch one on the heel or low on the face the change was very slight. The fitter I was working with told me that he rarely sees much of a change when flipping the weight.