2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Links at Spanish Bay

njlam

In the last year I have been lucky to play Pebble and Spyglass for the first time.

I loved Pebble (but played well enough to no longer need to play there) and struggled at Spy (wanting a rematch).

I will be in the Bay Area over the holidays and wondered if I got a one day pass from family responsibilities, should I try to play the Links at Spanish Bay (which I have never played), or if I should go to Spyglass for redemption?

Is playing Spanish Bay worth completing the Pebble/Spy/Links triumvirate? If so, should I get a caddie?

The time and expense of playing in Monterey is high and I don't want to waste either.

I have a Duke's card that expires at the end of the year so Spy will only be $195 and SB will only be $145.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People will suggest Pasatiempo, Bayonet, etc., but that isn't what you are asking.

As someone who has played Spyglass and Spanish Bay numerous times, this is an easy question for me to answer.

You MUST go to Spyglass for your rematch, but understand that Spyglass is like Mike Tyson in his prime. Could you be Buster Douglas?

[quote name='daryguy77' timestamp='1386804196' post='8285503']
Wow, those are some AWESOME pictures! I played Pebble and Spyglass Hill on a simulator - but it just feels totally insignificant to actually playing the course. Good luck with either choice.
[/quote]

Hahaha

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

Definitely go to Spanish and play it, you already played Pebble and Spy. No such thing as a rematch at Spy, its just too hard. The winter weather wreaks havoc on Spanish with cold air and strong gusts, so be ready for frustration there also. Its definitely worth the experience to play it one time and then you can say you played all 3 courses at the Pebble track. Forget the caddie, just take a cart. Youtube some videos for Spanish to see how people are playing the holes.

If you do go back to Spy though watch this video beforehand. Look at the lines that Ogilvy takes off the tee for each shot. Those are the lines you should try to emulate.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOZNqeYoTg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOZNqeYoTg[/url]

I would opt for Spanish Bay if you haven't played it previously. It's a very cool looking course with great views of the ocean. Some very good holes too. I wouldn't skip it for another round on Spy. Wish it played more like a links , when I played it it was quite soft which is how I understand it typically plays.

I'd play it since you haven't already.
I'd cart it over caddying. It's not a caddie type of course IMHO.
Is it third of the three? Yes. Still a quality course though. A bunch of really good holes on it and great views from pretty much every tee, bar two or three.
Like Pebble and Spyglass it may have some holes on the Ocean, but it's not a links course. You'd need the back nine at Pacific Grove for that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Spyglass vs Spanish Bay is no contest....Spyglass hands down. However, if you are like me and enjoy playing new courses then go to Spanish Bay. I will be out there in about a week and will look to cross off The Preserve and Cypress Point.
Like PoppyHills had mentioned...go play Bayonet and Pasatiempo!

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Spanish Bay is a great track, but Spyglass is on a completely different level. The finish at Spanish Bay is one you will never forget because of it's views, but top to bottom Spyglass is such a treat. Any chance you can get them both in? haha

Given what you have presented, I would say play Spyglass again and soak it all in.

in April 2005 I played Pebble Beach in the morning, and Spanish Bay in the afternoon.

Spanish Bay was a serious letdown after PB. My opinion is therefore likely skewed. Also, I found it to be a 'faux' links course, despite its claim to be a 'true links'. On that day SB was not firm or fast.

The next morning I played Spyglass, which I loved although it is extremely demanding & challenging.

I think Spyglass is a much better course than SB. (It may even be a better test of golfing ability than PB.)

However, you can't lose if your two choices are SB and Spyglass.

Spanish is not worth a caddie in my opinion but worth playing just to complete the Pebble Beach stable of courses. Spanish Bay is nothing like Spyglass, a target style links course where a premium is put on shot making with huge greens to protect from the winds. I have played Spyglass nearly 100 times, and without hesitation play there over even Pebble and especially Spanish. Spanish Bay does have a few really cool holes and nice views as it is right on the Pacific. The only reason I go to Spanish is to stay at the Inn or to go to Sticks, they have bomb homemade tater tots. Its still a beautiful place to play golf, only thing is the holes seem to be a lot alike, I myself playing from tips hit majority of 2 irons off tees, as driver is kept in the bag for the most part. Enjoy your day down there you can't go wrong, but the obvious choice would be Spyglass Hill, it's my favorite course and is always a challenge.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

Not sure if I'm adding much to what was already said but.... What's more important to you? Saying I played all three or possibly getting a better score at Spyglass Hill? I too am a Dukes member and would playSpyglass Hill 3 times for every one SB. I feel Spyglass is on a different level. But that's just me. Either way it's gonna be golf at a great place! Win, win no matter what the choice.

Titleist 913D2
Rocketballz 3wd
Titleist AP2 714
Cleveland 54 & 58

Thanks for all the great comments.

For my holiday trip, I was going to spend one day in Monterey (SB or SPY), and then one day in SF (Harding Park).

However, I have just learned that Harding Park is on temporary greens until April, so I may play both days in Monterey.

I think I will play Spanish Bay first, just to complete the triumvirate, and then Spy if possible.

As I am a regular at Bandon, I do think in order to have a complete Bandon experience, you have to play all the courses. Even if one thinks Trails is the weakest, if you haven't played all five courses at Bandon, you do not have a complete experience. It is Trails that makes you realize how extraordinary Bandon, Pacific, Old Mac and the Preserve are.

Quite frankly, I think Spy is the Pebble Beach Resort's Pacific Dunes. It seems to be everyone's local favorite, however it is an extremely difficult course. I think Pacific Dunes is the most beautiful of the Bandon courses, but it is the most penal, and if you are not playing well, it can be a grind. Spy is very similar in this regard.

Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400

Good choice I was just in S.F. and played 36 at Lake Merced. Harding is giving a discount but even at that price I would skip until all the greens are cured. Like others said you have many great courses within a hour drive of Monterey including one of my other favorites Pasatiempo. Sounds like you should maybe look into having a caddy for Spyglass. Their knowledge is invaluable and will help you plot the course based on your skill. Get a yardage book and keep notes, I have a pro book I've had for years with notes that I've been keeping since, and always use to play well. Enjoy your trip and Spanish is still a beautiful place you will still have a great day weather permitting,..

Adidas-Coach-Versace

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1386916404' post='8293279']

Quite frankly, I think Spy is the Pebble Beach Resort's Pacific Dunes. It seems to be everyone's local favorite, however it is an extremely difficult course. I think Pacific Dunes is the most beautiful of the Bandon courses, but it is the most penal, and if you are not playing well, it can be a grind. Spy is very similar in this regard.
[/quote]

Interesting take, but I didn't think any of the Bandon courses are particularly penal. That is one of the best things about it, is the playability and fairness of the place. Spyglass is a full notch or two up from Pacific on the difficulty scale IMHO.

Good to hear you are playing Spanish to get the complete view - I think we've all set your expectations well enough that you can just go out and enjoy it. Hopefully you will be back down in the summer next year to try out the renovated Poppy Hills. I cannot wait for it to open up :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1386801733' post='8285339']
In the last year I have been lucky to play Pebble and Spyglass for the first time.

I loved Pebble (but played well enough to no longer need to play there) and struggled at Spy (wanting a rematch).

I will be in the Bay Area over the holidays and wondered if I got a one day pass from family responsibilities, should I try to play the Links at Spanish Bay (which I have never played), or if I should go to Spyglass for redemption?

Is playing Spanish Bay worth completing the Pebble/Spy/Links triumvirate? If so, should I get a caddie?

The time and expense of playing in Monterey is high and I don't want to waste either.

I have a Duke's card that expires at the end of the year so Spy will only be $195 and SB will only be $145.
[/quote]

I've played all three and would not go back to Spanish Bay. It just seemed tricked up to me and my foursome. Absolutely go back to Spyglass.

IIRC from another thread, MPCC has a pretty hefty fee for non-members.

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1386976517' post='8296719']
[/quote]

How hefty can it be really when you regularly play Bandon and have played pebble?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1386979648' post='8296939']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1386976517' post='8296719']
[/quote]

How hefty can it be really when you regularly play Bandon and have played pebble?
[/quote]

:lol:

I won't begin to speak for him for Pebble, but us Oregonians get resident rates in the off season at Bandon and it's a much better deal. It's not uncommon for people here to go once annually, if not twice (Feb & Nov).

I have read here $450 is the most current unaccompanied guest fee at MPCC, but I can't remember it ever being that high.

^That's it. Bandon is a proper offseason deal :)
Play Thanksgiving and Feb and it's a helluva deal with not terrible weather.
And ya that was the price I remember from that other thread.

F.T.

Being a NCGA member always has its perks, I too am waiting for Poppy to reopen will be such a big differance. I already have my dates booked for the first and last week in January for Spy, thankfully I don't have to pay ?

Adidas-Coach-Versace

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1386982667' post='8297171']
Too bad I'm not rich.
[/quote]

Yeah, got this email and now it looks like someone will be sacrifing a Xmas present. :D

I am going to try and walk on in mid January before they start setting up for the AT&T.

Titleist 913D2
Rocketballz 3wd
Titleist AP2 714
Cleveland 54 & 58

[quote name='jon2' timestamp='1386976120' post='8296693']
Aren't you a member at PGC? Why don't you just go play MPCC and/or something in the Bay Area? I'm sure a couple calls from your pro to MPCC and The Cal Club could get you spots.
[/quote]

That's actually a pretty good idea.

However, for this trip, I am trying to use my Duke's card before it expires on 12/31.

The Duke's card has been a pretty good deal and has provided strong incentive to bring my sticks when I visit CA.

I have made a tee time for a foursome at 11am on Friday 12/27 at Spanish Bay.

May have room for a fourth (at the $145 Duke's member rate) if anyone cares.

When I was there in September with my wife, I decided to play PB twice, Spyglass once, and I skipped Spanish Bay entirely. Part of it was because I had the wife with me, and thus was a little limited on how much golf I could play. I decided that I didn't want to only play Pebble once, and have that nervous feeling the entire time where over every shot I'd be thinking "I'm never going to play this course again, so this shot has to be perfect". The strategy actually worked, I stayed relaxed and shot a pretty good score.

Looking back, I think my only regret is that I didn't play Spyglass more than once.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)