Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='Clark55810' timestamp='1431367119' post='11539044']
[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1431287709' post='11532996']
[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1431273315' post='11532062']
Missed a bunch of tags my first round out lol...I'd get on the green and be like "oh snap" lol...but it's awesome that I can go back in and do what I need to do.
[/quote]

that is one thing that i like about the app... you can edit on the fly and not have to try to remember details about the round after the 19th hole... :drinks:
[/quote]

Actually, with the "classic" hip module it is really good at sensing you made a swing.

I have done a pretty good job of integrating tapping into my routine, but every once in a while I miss a tap. Always surprised when editing the round that the unit has the location marked and I only need to tell it what club I used.

Doesn't happen on greens, due to lack of movement, but I normally remember and adding putts is easy since distance isn't important.

Clark
[/quote]
one day ill upgrade to the classic... one day, but for now the tags and app will have to do.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1431287709' post='11532996']
[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1431273315' post='11532062']
Missed a bunch of tags my first round out lol...I'd get on the green and be like "oh snap" lol...but it's awesome that I can go back in and do what I need to do.
[/quote]

that is one thing that i like about the app... you can edit on the fly and not have to try to remember details about the round after the 19th hole... :drinks:
[/quote]

So I can just go into the app right then and update the tag?

I made my first career Albatross the other week and it was very cool to see it in the scoring pie-chart in the Insights section. I don't expext the wedge to get any bigger but I now have a very slim blue one.

Sadly the bogies and double bogies account for 37% of my shots.

This is a great system, and one of the ways I use it is to review what clubs I used off the tee during a good round to plan for my next round. Driver vs lay up and which resulted in the better score on average type of thing. I thought I knew these things, but having the actual stats is a help.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1431530557' post='11552062']
I made my first career Albatross the other week and it was very cool to see it in the scoring pie-chart in the Insights section. I don't expext the wedge to get any bigger but I now have a very slim blue one.

Sadly the bogies and double bogies account for 37% of my shots.

This is a great system, and one of the ways I use it is to review what clubs I used off the tee during a good round to plan for my next round. Driver vs lay up and which resulted in the better score on average type of thing. I thought I knew these things, but having the actual stats is a help.
[/quote]

Congrats on the great 2 shots!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1431540000' post='11553000']
Dammit I *still* forget to tag on every shot.

--kC
[/quote]

I've got 20 games recorded and I still miss a tag. I've made it part of my pre-shot routine, but all it takes is one really crappy shot, or a penalty and tagging the club is the last thing on my mind. Luckily the system detects your shots and all you have to do is assign a club to the shot. I also miss short putts all the time. Usually when I upload the game it's several shots better than my actual score. Just need to make the posted round match the scorecard. Another thing I've learned to to is take a photo of the scorecard if it is from league and gets turned in so I can recall the holes. Too hard to remember all the details otherwise.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I've fooled with the app to see if this is something I want to spend that much money on. My biggest concern is accuracy. On several occasions the app says I have hit drives over 280 yards with a 256 yd average. Every other device/app I have used has my driver in the 230 to 240 (at most) range. I am 67 yrs old and hit a regular shaft driver and with all of the rain in North Texas the fairways are soft with little roll! Also on several holes the app has me positioned anywhere from 50 to 200 yards from my actual location, two fairways over in a housing development in one case. I can see this stuff real time with the app but would be flying blind, so to speak, with the "tag" system.

I cant speak for the App but the carts on my home course has GPS and the GG tagging system stats are almost identical - within a few yards.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1431562019' post='11555004']
I've fooled with the app to see if this is something I want to spend that much money on. My biggest concern is accuracy. On several occasions the app says I have hit drives over 280 yards with a 256 yd average. Every other device/app I have used has my driver in the 230 to 240 (at most) range. I am 67 yrs old and hit a regular shaft driver and with all of the rain in North Texas the fairways are soft with little roll! Also on several holes the app has me positioned anywhere from 50 to 200 yards from my actual location, two fairways over in a housing development in one case. I can see this stuff real time with the app but would be flying blind, so to speak, with the "tag" system.
[/quote]Are you walking or riding? Are you tagging before or after the shot?

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1431609624' post='11557620']
Are you walking or riding? Are you tagging before or after the shot?
[/quote]

Riding. Mixed as far as when I "tag" the shot on the app. Driver / tee shot usually after I hit the ball because I typically know what club I am going to tee off with. For approach shots I laser my distance first then decide which club I want to hit at which time I then indicate that on the app.

So, is the "presumed swing" a hardware thing in the newer "Classic" units, or a software change that has come that allows all the older "Classic" units to do the same?

I'm trying to decide on using the tags with my phone vs. tags with the "Classic" unit. Either way, I don't want to be manually inputting clubs.

Also, I can't find this info, and if it's in the thread, I've missed it.

1. Have they sorted the on course pin location mark or is the best practice still to tag it with the putter then remove the stroke?

2. Is the best practice still to assign hazard drop and OB penalties to the additional tags?

3. Are there any other benefits to the unit over the app when implementing the tags?

Thanks gents.

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1431632599' post='11559818']
So, is the "presumed swing" a hardware thing in the newer "Classic" units, or a software change that has come that allows all the older "Classic" units to do the same?
[/quote]

There has only been one hardware version as far as I know. So the motion sensor which allows the 'presumed swing' must have been in there right from the start, it just wasn't activated yet

1. Have they sorted the on course pin location mark or is the best practice still to tag it with the putter then remove the stroke?
[/quote]
It will place the pin close to where your second putt was.
If your second putt is a tap in or close (e.g. 4 feet) you don't have to do anything. However if you have a long putt that goes in you might want to record the real position of the pin.

2. Is the best practice still to assign hazard drop and OB penalties to the additional tags?
[/quote]
Tried that at first but gave up on that. I just add two penalty strokes for a OB.

3. Are there any other benefits to the unit over the app when implementing the tags?
[/quote]
You can place the Classic where ever you want on your belt and you don't really notice it. Some people don't like playing with a phone in their pocket (for me left pocket is fine but I don't like it in my right). You don't run your phone battery down.

A quick comment on putting and pin location.

The Game Golf device (and I am guessing on the app as well) aren't really good at tracking the distance of putts. The accuracy of the GPS and the location of each stroke makes measuring putts useless IMHO.

All I am looking for on the game is how many putts I take per green.

I get people wanting to know the distances that they make putts and areas to work on when practicing, but the Game Golf isn't a way to measure that.

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

Are we sure there is a "swing sensor" in the unit? I'm thinking that once the database has a large sampling of your yardages and which clubs are used to hit the ball X number of yards, it extrapolates the total yardages and "Detects" a shot and allows you to enter which club was used. After posting 20 games, the software knows my average drive is X yards and when my next tag is 400 yards away and is done by a putter, the software assumes I hit my drive the average length and assigns the detected shot to that location. This makes more sense to me as a swing sensor seems overly complicated considering many of us walk and are moving about all during the round.

Maybe someone at GG has already answered this and I'm completely wrong.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1431726803' post='11566106']
Are we sure there is a "swing sensor" in the unit? I'm thinking that once the database has a large sampling of your yardages and which clubs are used to hit the ball X number of yards, it extrapolates the total yardages and "Detects" a shot and allows you to enter which club was used. After posting 20 games, the software knows my average drive is X yards and when my next tag is 400 yards away and is done by a putter, the software assumes I hit my drive the average length and assigns the detected shot to that location. This makes more sense to me as a swing sensor seems overly complicated considering many of us walk and are moving about all during the round.

[/quote]

Yeah, that's more logical, but the "Classic" unit does it, where the users of the application aren't reporting it.

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1431727934' post='11566200']
I just pulled the trigger on the extra tags to the tune of $66 shipped. Maybe I can start answering some of these questions soon.
[/quote]
Nice, due to all of the rain in north Texas, I'll be playing my first actual round with the tags and app tomorrow morning. ill have a much better feel for it, however my testing has worked flawlessly so far... cant wait to get it on the course

Check out the blue. I had to limit it to last 5 rounds to be able to see it. I don't expect it will ever grow, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. Now if I can just get rid of the red, or at least make it smaller.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-14%20at%2012.36.38%20PM.png

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Check out the blue. I had to limit it to last 5 rounds to be able to see it. I don't expect it will ever grow, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. Now if I can just get rid of the red, or at least make it smaller.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-14%20at%2012.36.38%20PM.png

I hear you on that haha. My red section is too big.......

Forever Changing at this point.......

[quote name='kreinartz83' timestamp='1431735419' post='11566716']
[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1431727934' post='11566200']
I just pulled the trigger on the extra tags to the tune of $66 shipped. Maybe I can start answering some of these questions soon.
[/quote]
Nice, due to all of the rain in north Texas, I'll be playing my first actual round with the tags and app tomorrow morning. ill have a much better feel for it, however my testing has worked flawlessly so far... cant wait to get it on the course
[/quote]

I'm very anxious to hear back. I haven't read much about people using the app and tags.

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1431726803' post='11566106']

[/quote]

No the detected shots are from an internal accelerometer.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

The "Insights" information is very helpful IMO. For one thing, it shows me that my wedges <15 yards accuracy is reversed from what you would expect it to be. I would think that my LW would be the most accurate, SW next etc. In fact, here are my stats for my wedges:

LW - 73%
SW - 75%
GW- 80%
PW- 84%

To add even more insight, the stats show me where my ideal lay up should be and it's not where I thought it was:

50-75 yards - 72%
75-100 yards - 85%
100-125 yards - 76 %
125-150 yards - 78%

For years I have been laying up to 100 -115 yards for par 5's. I thought I was most accurate here, and when I hit one to 80 yards I was irritated because I thought "This is too short - a bad distance for me." Turns out the stats on GG tell me that is right where I need to be for my best chance on getting close. I'm going to try this and see what happens. If this works out, this system just paid for itself.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1431744120' post='11567464']

[/quote]

They seem to really think ahead at GAME Golf, huh?

I see how the Arccos unit does it, but how can it tell the difference from practice swings and contact? A unit on the hip like that would see the same things, right?

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1431747958' post='11567724']

I see how the Arccos unit does it, but how can it tell the difference from practice swings and contact? A unit on the hip like that would see the same things, right?
[/quote]

It can't tell the difference. It detects my warmup swings with my Orange Whip in the parking lot, and if I stop randomly and swing to stay loose (during slow play, for example), it will think that's a shot. But practice swings right before or after a tagged swing are ignored, so no problems there.

False detections are pretty rare for me, and are easy to clean up when I import the data.

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1431747958' post='11567724']
[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1431744120' post='11567464']

[/quote]

[/quote]

When you look at the original description on Indigogo it already had that in and some low power radio (on top of NFC for the tags). So my hope is still that they can just enable Bluetooth - but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

Just tried out the app (no tags). I'm really impressed with this. The phone only is a bit cumbersome, but in a weird way I really liked that.

I play about 25% of rounds a single, usually early morning so that I can play fast and get home to the family and still have the rest of the day. Manually tagging with the phone slowed my pace down (in a good way). I was still able to play quick, but the pauses to tag really helped keep me in nice rhythm. I plan to continue using this for the rounds I play as a single, and I'm strongly considering buying the tags and unit (BTW, four golfers using the phone only app would probably be the slowest round EVER). It introduces a level of accountability to solo rounds that I can see substantially contributing to me enjoying playing as a single even more than I do now.

The app worked flawlessly. Impressed by the amount of data you can get and can really see how this could improve your golf. Even though I use a rangefinder and know my yardages well, I gained a lot of insight from just one round. I was shocked at how many bad shots I hit in what was an average round (shot a 78 as 5 handicap on my course). My distance control on partial shots is truly awful, and it's really amazing when you can see exactly how much of an effect being in the rough has on distance and dispersion.

The bad news is that, according to my stats, the new driver I'm really wanting to buy is not what I really need ..

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"