2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maui in Feb. where to play and rent clubs

mitch300

Going to Maui ( first time) and I get to play one round. I'm staying at the Westin, so I figured I play at either the Kaanapalis Royal or Kai courses. Have a few questions. BTW I shoot in the low 100's high 90's. Which course do you recommend. Also I'm going to be renting clubs. Should I rent at the course or go to places like Golf Maui or Jimmy's. ( Have googled and these two seemed good). BTW except for my Odyssey putter and Callaway X hot driver all my clubs at home are over 5 years old that I bought at Costco. In fact this spring i'm getting new clubs. So it I'm sure ( maybe not) that whatever set they have at the golf course is just as good or better than what I play with. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some good info in the Maui-January 2014 thread in this sub-form and some others in the general Travel section. Try a search under "Maui".

When I was shooting low 90's, I found the Kai course really overpriced and not worth the bucks but it's pretty wide-open. Haven't played the Royal, but nor do I recall reading much positive about it, especially for the price.

Good you indicated your scoring as I think that eliminates the Plantation despite whatever your budget is. And you probably want to have a good time and not get beat up too much to enjoy the ride? The winds can be a shock the first time if you catch one of those days. The first time was in Hawaii (Oahu) like you I only played one round, ended up playing as a single in heavy winds in early morning and didn't know what hit me. It was a bit of a blur.

I'm assuming you will have a car for the day unless you are being dropped off at the course. So if you don't want the ones near you may may need to drive an hour or so, unless you want to try the Bay course (haven't played it). My wife and I drive a bit for golf sometimes going the other way from Kihei, and it's part of the deal for us.

In my mind for one round you could get the clubs and booking through from Maui Golf Shop and play the Emerald or Blue in in Wailea (nod to Emerald) as these are in the area most likely to be dry and less windy. I still think Pukalani is the best deal overall and was in great shape from recent posts (and when I was there a month and a half ago). I think you will find it worthwhile without killing you or your wallet and feeling that you need to be a perfect player either with whomever you get paired with. It's actually a longish yardage but up and down and is my wife's favourite course and doesn't hit the ball far at all.

If you don't want to drive as far and want a bit of a price break you can do Kahili. Gets windy though and I always score higher here than I should even without wind hitting into some blind trouble at times. They had a Friday rate deal but that may be off the books now. (Don't trust the website prices here - phone the proshops for what the price is for any of them if you are looking for a deal IMO. )

I think Kahili has decent rental clubs. The Wailea courses do for sure but no idea on pricing.

Have fun and be sure to post a first-timers impressions when you get back!

PS As it's your first trip, get a copy of [i]Maui Revealed[/i], that you can also get as an iPhone/iPad/touch app for some great independent Maui tips and reviews including golf course reviews. My wife and I found it invaluable our first trip.

I am also going to Maui at the end of February and will only be able to play one round. Still trying to decide where to play, but am leaning towards the Plantation course. I will be in the Kaanapali area and am looking into Jimmy's for renting clubs as it looks cheaper and they deliver. I have been checking out some of the other courses listed about if I want a less expensive alternative. I am also going as a single and probably won't book something until I get there. If you are going earlier in the month, would love to hear you experience.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mitch300' timestamp='1390495951' post='8516705']
Going to Maui ( first time) and I get to play one round. I'm staying at the Westin, so I figured I play at either the Kaanapalis Royal or Kai courses. Have a few questions. BTW I shoot in the low 100's high 90's. Which course do you recommend. Also I'm going to be renting clubs. Should I rent at the course or go to places like Golf Maui or Jimmy's. ( Have googled and these two seemed good). BTW except for my Odyssey putter and Callaway X hot driver all my clubs at home are over 5 years old that I bought at Costco. In fact this spring i'm getting new clubs. So it I'm sure ( maybe not) that whatever set they have at the golf course is just as good or better than what I play with. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I am in Maui at least 2 times a year. Got a 3week trip planned soon. I have played both Royal or Kai courses; they are nice, somewhat easy and good for hi-caps. I'd rent clubs at the course, especially since you're only playing once. Although I take my clubs, most courses rent reasonably good clubs too. Last trip played with a guy that rented, and he had his best round ever. Kept saying his rentals were better than his own clubs at home. Enjoy :)

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

hey guys, did any of you play your rounds in Maui yet? I am going there next week, and I am planning to play at the plantation course on March 2nd. I am just wondering if I should rent my clubs from outside or if it'll be easier to rent at the course! Thanks.

Titleist TSR3 Driver 10*
Callaway Epic Flash Wood 15*
Callaway XR Hybrids 19* 22* & 25*
Titleist T-350 6i, T-200 7i & T-150 8i-GW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950GH
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
Yamada Imperial Putter

I won't be over there for a few months. But I have stayed at Kapalua often, and played both courses over a hundred times. From what I have seen, they rent nice clubs. FYI: Putting on the Plantation is different than any course on the island or here in CA. Greens are, for the most part, large and fast, plus break towards the water, :lol: and have components that we don't face in CA very often. Sneaky trade winds, strong undulations and high degree of exposure. The saying is: if you 3 putt at all at home, 4-5 putts are seriously common. Have a fun trip.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

If you're looking for reasonably priced golf at a fun course, check out Elleair GC. Compared to Wailea Blue, it was in just as good condition when I played it last. Its easy to get to, as its in Kihei, just off the main hwy. On the other hand, King Kamehameha Golf Club is semi-private and probably the 2nd highest priced on Maui, but a really fun experience, if the wind isn't blowing too hard. You get to tour Marilyn Monroe's home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (the club house) and views from every hole are amazing. Don't know if I said earlier, but check out [url="http://williek.com/"]http://williek.com/[/url]. He's an institution on Maui.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1393358217' post='8743272']
If you're looking for reasonably priced golf at a fun course, check out Elleair GC. Compared to Wailea Blue, it was in just as good condition when I played it last. Its easy to get to, as its in Kihei, just off the main hwy. On the other hand, King Kamehameha Golf Club is semi-private and probably the 2nd highest priced on Maui, but a really fun experience, if the wind isn't blowing too hard. You get to tour Marilyn Monroe's home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (the club house) and views from every hole are amazing. Don't know if I said earlier, but check out [url="http://williek.com/"]http://williek.com/[/url]. He's an institution on Maui.
[/quote]
Pepper, I think I read you are heading back soon....Pukalani was in fantastic shape in early December when I last played. If we had know how much better it was than 2012, we would have scheduled more rounds earlier in our course rota. Elleair wasn't in as good shape but certainly a bargain compared to others. Kona's on the Green at Elleiar is great for Happy Hour. Buy a second beer and they as what you shot and that's your price. So missing that birdie on 18 costs you a penny more!

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1393432415' post='8749680']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1393358217' post='8743272']
[/quote]
Pepper, I think I read you are heading back soon....Pukalani was in fantastic shape in early December when I last played. If we had know how much better it was than 2012, we would have scheduled more rounds earlier in our course rota. Elleair wasn't in as good shape but certainly a bargain compared to others. Kona's on the Green at Elleiar is great for Happy Hour. Buy a second beer and they as what you shot and that's your price. So missing that birdie on 18 costs you a penny more!
[/quote]

Yes, I am., and thanks. I played Pukalani once during my last trip, and thought it was enough. Admittedly, I am a golf course snob. I prefer playing courses that are in great condition, no matter price. Plus, Pukalani has the worse range on the island. We did like a few holes though, and some views. Elleiar, on the other hand, was in surprisingly, fantastic shape late last year. We were told about the score = price too. Me likely paying 74 cents for a beer. :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1390525186' post='8519975']
There is some good info in the Maui-January 2014 thread in this sub-form and some others in the general Travel section. Try a search under "Maui".

When I was shooting low 90's, I found the Kai course really overpriced and not worth the bucks but it's pretty wide-open. Haven't played the Royal, but nor do I recall reading much positive about it, especially for the price.

Good you indicated your scoring as I think that eliminates the Plantation despite whatever your budget is. And you probably want to have a good time and not get beat up too much to enjoy the ride? The winds can be a shock the first time if you catch one of those days. The first time was in Hawaii (Oahu) like you I only played one round, ended up playing as a single in heavy winds in early morning and didn't know what hit me. It was a bit of a blur.

I'm assuming you will have a car for the day unless you are being dropped off at the course. So if you don't want the ones near you may may need to drive an hour or so, unless you want to try the Bay course (haven't played it). My wife and I drive a bit for golf sometimes going the other way from Kihei, and it's part of the deal for us.

In my mind for one round you could get the clubs and booking through from Maui Golf Shop and play the Emerald or Blue in in Wailea (nod to Emerald) as these are in the area most likely to be dry and less windy. I still think Pukalani is the best deal overall and was in great shape from recent posts (and when I was there a month and a half ago). I think you will find it worthwhile without killing you or your wallet and feeling that you need to be a perfect player either with whomever you get paired with. It's actually a longish yardage but up and down and is my wife's favourite course and doesn't hit the ball far at all.

If you don't want to drive as far and want a bit of a price break you can do Kahili. Gets windy though and I always score higher here than I should even without wind hitting into some blind trouble at times. They had a Friday rate deal but that may be off the books now. (Don't trust the website prices here - phone the proshops for what the price is for any of them if you are looking for a deal IMO. )

I think Kahili has decent rental clubs. The Wailea courses do for sure but no idea on pricing.

PS As it's your first trip, get a copy of [i]Maui Revealed[/i], that you can also get as an iPhone/iPad/touch app for some great independent Maui tips and reviews including golf course reviews. My wife and I found it invaluable our first trip.
[/quote]'

Im going to disagree. I own a condo in Kaanapali and play a couple times a year there. The Kai course is the best deal on the West side. Keep an eye on on GolfNow for noon daily specials. Tee times in the AM are a rip off, yes. Twilight which starts at 1 is almost half price. Super twilight is only like $50 as opposed to morning times which can reach $175. Royal is not that much better, and much more pricey. But can be had if you watch for specials. Also you can get discount cards at Costco for the Kaanapali courses that can save you a few bucks on both course. If you're willing to listen to time share pitches, you can play both for free.

Gold and Emerald course are THE courses in Wailea to play. Blue course is more of a local course. Fun course, cheap, but not as good as Gold or Emerald. Blue course is also one of the better deals on the island. Nice course, good views for $100~. Its a fun bomber course with little trouble.

Also, one of the biggest secrets is the courses on Lanai. Theres packages where you play one for $250, the other you get for $50. Hands down an experience you wont forget. Ferry will pick you up right in Lahaina harbor. A van will pick you up at the harbor on Lanai.

Skip all the Pukalani garbage. Lanai, Wailea, Kaanapali, Kapalua are where you want to play. Other courses are local courses full of Hawaiians that HATE tourists. Let them have Pukalani.

Why would you tell him to skip Plantation because his handicap is high??? You crazy? Thats THE course to play on the island. High cappers are not allowed to have fun? Thats one of the best courses on the island. And most people that play it blow up. its all fun. He does not have to play from 7400 yards. He can play the forward tees at 6,000 or 6600, No shame in that. Thats what everyone does. The course is not THAT hard where a 18 handicapper cant handle it.

Also note I played Kaanapali course a couple weeks ago. The rentals were new Nike Covert sets. Not sure if that matters to anyone. I cant remember what Kapalua had. I think they were some kind of Titleist.

[quote name='skichiiwa' timestamp='1392927693' post='8710309']
So is the royal that much better then the kai?
in respect to condition mostly and then layout.
[/quote]

No, its roughly the same. Royal has a tad better views. But not really worth paying the steep increase in price for unless you just want to try something different. Condition is the same as Kai. I usually just play Kai every day. Ill play Royal when I get bored going around and around Kai and I find a deal on Royal for $100~.

[/quote]

Not true at all. I would encourage anyone of any handicap to play Plantation. And also bring your non playing spouses along for the ride. The views are stunning. Even non golfers enjoy it. Most people I get paired up with at Plantation are guys on their honeymoon who are playing "just one round" on Maui, have rental clubs and have the non playing wife along just for the ride.

[quote name='mitch300' timestamp='1390531311' post='8520641']
Myspinonit, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am renting a car so distance isn't a issue. I will be a single, wife doesn't play. Maui golf looks by their web site to be a good place to rent.
[/quote]

BTW I notice on the website that the Maui Golf Shop has a second location by Longs in Kihei.

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1393826925' post='8785420']

[/quote]'

Im going to disagree. I own a condo in Kaanapali and play a couple times a year there. The Kai course is the best deal on the West side. Keep an eye on on GolfNow for noon daily specials. Tee times in the AM are a rip off, yes. Twilight which starts at 1 is almost half price. Super twilight is only like $50 as opposed to morning times which can reach $175. Royal is not that much better, and much more pricey. But can be had if you watch for specials. Also you can get discount cards at Costco for the Kaanapali courses that can save you a few bucks on both course. If you're willing to listen to time share pitches, you can play both for free.

Gold and Emerald course are THE courses in Wailea to play. Blue course is more of a local course. Fun course, cheap, but not as good as Gold or Emerald. Blue course is also one of the better deals on the island. Nice course, good views for $100~. Its a fun bomber course with little trouble.

Also, one of the biggest secrets is the courses on Lanai. Theres packages where you play one for $250, the other you get for $50. Hands down an experience you wont forget. Ferry will pick you up right in Lahaina harbor. A van will pick you up at the harbor on Lanai.

Skip all the Pukalani garbage. Lanai, Wailea, Kaanapali, Kapalua are where you want to play. [b]Other courses are local courses full of Hawaiians that HATE tourists. Let them have Pukalani.[/b]

Why would you tell him to skip Plantation because his handicap is high??? You crazy? Thats THE course to play on the island. High cappers are not allowed to have fun? Thats one of the best courses on the island. And most people that play it blow up. its all fun. He does not have to play from 7400 yards. He can play the forward tees at 6,000 or 6600, No shame in that. Thats what everyone does. The course is not THAT hard where a 18 handicapper cant handle it.

Also note I played Kaanapali course a couple weeks ago. The rentals were new Nike Covert sets. Not sure if that matters to anyone. I cant remember what Kapalua had. I think they were some kind of Titleist.
[/quote]

Firstly, I'm not crazy. Or at least I don't think I am. I do think I'm tolerant, so I thank you for your perspectives other than one, which I have addressed below.

Ok, I haven't played the Plantation, but what I had (otherwise) read suggested it might be very frustrating for a high handicapper...the first-timer visiting OP is playing one round only. He also said he is a high-90's low 100's shooter, presumably on some "home courses" which is much higher than an 18. Hence my other suggestions, and from my first time playing just one round in the Hawaii winds.

I'm planning on giving the Plantation a play this year as part of our rota.

I do differ and take offense about your generalization "other courses are local courses full of Hawaiians that HATE tourists. Let them have Pukalani." I've always found the locals [u]anywhere [/u]on Maui friendly and polite. If you haven't I can only suggest you encountered some different individuals (that can happen anywhere), or your own attitude triggered some negative vibe. I suggest if you make comments like that that generalize against classes or origin of individuals your "no ban" by your avatar may take a different direction than you intended on this site.

Aloha.

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1393829416' post='8785518']

[/quote]

Not true at all. I would encourage anyone of any handicap to play Plantation. And also bring your non playing spouses along for the ride. The views are stunning. Even non golfers enjoy it. Most people I get paired up with at Plantation are guys on their honeymoon who are playing "just one round" on Maui, have rental clubs and have the non playing wife along just for the ride.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with playing Plantation for a hi-cap, least to say he did it. But I wouldn't suggest it because wind is a huge variable. Even when the wind was down, every hi-cap I know that's played it, felt beat up walking off 18; because they just carded a snow-man or higher, after leaving balls in the right OB off the tee and the left canyon coming down the hill. Golf should be fun for everyone. The only way that can happen is each person needs to accept their skill limits, then find courses that accomodate that skill. Wailia's Blue is rather wide open, somewhat easy, and protected from wind, and Pukalani is easy too. Contrary to another posters thoughts regarding locals, I've enjoyed meeting and playing with them.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Just played Plantation today and it was amazing. Had the perfect day as it was around 81 with a lite breeze on the first few holes and then dead calm the rest of the day. I shot a 46-39 as it took a little getting use to on the front nine. I had the only birdie in my group on 15 and a par on 18 after my best drive of the day. One guy in my group said he played off a 25 and seemed to enjoy himself. I only got one round in my 6 days here and am so glad I chose The Plantation. It was an awesome experience.

Having moved to Oahu last May and played numerous rounds both here as well as on Maui and Lanai, I must emphatically state that the generalization stated by Rockinar is directly in opposition to every experience I have with local people. Other than that , there is a great deal of useful information here in this thread and if myself or anyone here can help further, don't hesitate to ask.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='glk23' timestamp='1394001918' post='8801431']
Just played Plantation today and it was amazing. Had the perfect day as it was around 81 with a lite breeze on the first few holes and then dead calm the rest of the day. I shot a 46-39 as it took a little getting use to on the front nine. I had the only birdie in my group on 15 and a par on 18 after my best drive of the day. One guy in my group said he played off a 25 and seemed to enjoy himself. I only got one round in my 6 days here and am so glad I chose The Plantation. It was an awesome experience.
[/quote]

Hey GLK...did you just go as a single and get matched up? I am going to Plantation as a single next Wednesday...did you have any issues getting a game?

Do or do not, there is no try ~Yoda

The vast majority of my rounds at Kapalua, I have played as a single with a tee time. Never a walk-on though. Never been put out by myself and never met a jerk either. Met many guys that were not that good at the game, but all had good attitudes, just didn't feel that good about their score.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1394043699' post='8804121']
The vast majority of my rounds at Kapalua, I have played as a single with a tee time. Never a walk-on though. Never been put out by myself and never met a jerk either. Met many guys that were not that good at the game, but all had good attitudes, just didn't feel that good about their score.
[/quote]

Thanks Pepperturbo...will book an early time as a single and look forward to meeting new folks. I am only a 9 capper so my expectations are pretty low ;-)

Do or do not, there is no try ~Yoda

[quote name='pandmar' timestamp='1394031899' post='8802787']
[quote name='glk23' timestamp='1394001918' post='8801431']
[/quote]

Hey GLK...did you just go as a single and get matched up? I am going to Plantation as a single next Wednesday...did you have any issues getting a game?
[/quote]

I arrived last Thursday and called for a tee time on Friday. There was already a threesome in the first twilight time and I got put in with them. It was a great bunch of guys and we had a blast. Have a great time next week. Hope you get weather like I had, could not have asked for any better.

[quote name='pandmar' timestamp='1394070064' post='8807577']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1394043699' post='8804121']
[/quote]

Thanks Pepperturbo...will book an early time as a single and look forward to meeting new folks. I am only a 9 capper so my expectations are pretty low ;-)
[/quote]

Don't over swing for distance, and error on the side of conservative on holes where OB or junk parallels the fairway. Yardage books are worth the price too. Some holes are wider now too, since they took out a lot of paralleling deep greenery where balls like to hide. Example; from Regular tees on #1, I can reach the bottom and run through the fairway into ugly, using 2i, can't from the Championship tees, even with driver. I am suddenly old.. :lol: Pick clubs cautiously though. A lot of holes play shorter than yardage. #2 sometimes plays short. #5 play high left, fairway likes to feed the ball right, living a testy shot in for 2. #6 from tournament back tee(often closed), is reachable with driver, even for this ole man. I aim at right side of the center fairway bunker. When cleared the ball should be on the green or nearby, depending on how fast the fairway is that day. #8 has sneaking cross winds that will grab the ball. Error long and right side. #14 isn't worth the go for it gamble. Hit what it takes to stay in the fairway for 2nd shot (green is small), its easy to run though fairway, into ugly rough, making 2nd shot way more difficult due to less spin and green size. #16, if you have the HP, play to the left fairway, better view in. Even I can reach #17 in two from the Championship tees, key is to get it down the left side from the tee, but 2nd shot still requires a well struck ball. #18 is really fun, but can play its yardage, if tee shot finishes on the right side, slower roll. Middle left is where the most roll is, worth 15-30yrds more least for me. Its one of my favorite courses. Yardages may vary per skill. But have a great time. PT.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey