2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Nippon Modus Tour 120 vs 130

Marshawn Lynch

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modus3 120 is like a smoother Dynamic Gold (my feel) with a softer butt and super stiff tip, it is soft to flex and most people go up a flex. ( they have S, X and TX options ) Its good for mid release players or so I have read. I tried it and love it but decided to wait on purchase.

Modus3 130 is like a smoother Project X with a mid launch. It plays stiff to flex and only needs an S and X flex since it is so stiff overall. Its better for late release players who hold more lag. It did not fit me for that reason.

Spin will depend more on your type of release. A late release player maybe be able to spin the 120s more than the 130s despite the stiffer tip in the 120.

Cleveland XL Custom 9* 6M3 X
Wilson DXI 15* 18* Voodoo X
Wildon DXI 22* Vooodoo S
Srixon ZTX-2 5-PW w/ S300
Cleveland 588 51* 56* 60* w/ S400
Seemore FGP Mallet CB 36"

[quote name='vinax' timestamp='1411257381' post='10154525']
Modus3 120 is like a smoother Dynamic Gold (my feel) with a softer butt and super stiff tip, it is soft to flex and most people go up a flex. ( they have S, X and TX options ) Its good for mid release players or so I have read. I tried it and love it but decided to wait on purchase.

Modus3 130 is like a smoother Project X with a mid launch. It plays stiff to flex and only needs an S and X flex since it is so stiff overall. Its better for late release players who hold more lag. It did not fit me for that reason.

Spin will depend more on your type of release. A late release player maybe be able to spin the 120s more than the 130s despite the stiffer tip in the 120.
[/quote]

thank you. Which would you say would launch higher assuming exact swing conditions?

I've tried both and currently play the 130s. Don't know about spin...both seem to be fairly low. The 120 seemed to launch slightly higher for me. Not really enough to make a difference as distance was pretty much the same. I like the way the 130s feel over the 120s...just a smoother feel with a nice kick IMO.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

For me 120s launched lower for me but i have a mid release so it fits me better

There are 2 ways to reduce spin
1) stiffen tip massively (this is the approach the 120 takes)
2) stiffen the flex overall (this is the approach the 130 takes)

I dont worry too much about spin differences, feel (depends on profile of shaft) and weight are more important to me. I do not have a repeatable swing and my launch with 7iron can vary by 1000rpm or more (11 handicap)... between 120 and 130 assuming the player can adapt his swing to both i dont think the spin difference will be more than a couple 100 rpm.

The 120 can be overloaded (spun more than optimal) by late release, heavy lag players because of the soft butt.

DG player love DG (i think these player will like the 120)
PX players love PX (i think these players will like the 130)

The 120 and 130 are that different that if you dont have DG/PX preference I would demo 1 shaft each.

Wildon DXI 22* Vooodoo S

[quote name='vinax' timestamp='1411268808' post='10155387']

I dont worry too much about spin differences, feel (depends on profile of shaft) and weight are more important to me. I do not have a repeatable swing and my launch with 7iron can vary by 1000rpm or more (11 handicap)... between 120 and 130 assuming the player can adapt his swing to both i dont think the spin difference will be more than a couple 100 rpm.

The 120 can be overloaded (spun more than optimal) by late release, heavy lag players because of the soft butt.

The 120 and 130 are that different that if you dont have DG/PX preference I would demo 1 shaft each.
[/quote]

Those are good analogies! I've always liked the way PX performed, just didn't like the feel. I would agree that the 120 and 130 are different enough to warrant a demo.

I'm also like you in that I don't get too caught up with spin and launch too much...feel and weight are more important.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I don't know. I HATE PX feel and I LOVE the 130's. Another thing to remember is don't just look at launch. Look at overall height and angle of decent. 130's are stiffer overall so spin is lower. They may launch slightly higher, but they spin less, to the apex maybe lower/flatter and the angle of decent may be less.

That said, I think you can really tweak the 130's by hard stepping / soft stepping. The 120's however won't really change too much.

Another thing is they just made a 125, which is the offspring of both designs (with more of a 120 influence to it.) Like a 120 with stiffer mid-section. Could be just the blend that most are searching for. If it's anything like the ORA/C10 protytpes I think everyone should at least try it. It's the 757 of iron shafts.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I hate to confuse the OP and every golfer is different but I'll touch on two points made by other posters.

From a sheer numbers perspective I do not believe the 120s play soft to flex. I'm not a super high SS guy, as my max carry for a 6 is 180 carry fade. I have let many guys with real swing speeds hit my irons and all of them say it feels soft but the numbers and dispersion are solid. I do agree they feel very soft, almost like a high kick point driver shaft, and I've never heard anyone refer to the whiteboard for example as being "soft to flex".

Second, I built two 7 irons with a 120s and a hard stepped S, same head weight grip etc.. I often hand both to well-known ball strikers in this area and both comment on the noticeable (not drastic) difference in feel. But numbers wise maybe a 100rpm difference in spin and half a degree in launch, if any difference. However from a feel perspective, hard stepping will accomplish getting a stiffer "feel" without out flexing yourself.

Why do I add all this? Because all the comments about the shaft playing soft to flex made me hard step my step, but at my modest yardage, a straight in stiff not only feels so good but the numbers back it up.

Just one person's opinion and YMMV, I'm a big fan of the modus line, and recently a +2 friend of mine has made the switch from kbs tour after hitting mine extensively. His new set will be here this weekend, we will see if it works out for him.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

[b]Feel may not be real.... [/b]But for most iron players feel is everything. If you feel a shaft is too stiff or too soft most people start compensating for it.

Make sure you demo a shaft before you buy it which in case of Modus has to involve buying a shaft and trying it.

I swing 108-110mph with a hard transition and a medium tempo. In my own testing Modus 120 stiff felt way softer than the S300.. almost like a KBS Tour 90. The Modus 120 X stiff felt in line with S300 in testing. Keep in mind I find the X100 too stiff for my personal taste... although again its a feel thing. Also the X100 does not feel like a stiffer version of the S300.. it feels like a different shaft.
The Modus S, X, TX all feel like the same shaft - just stiffer incrementally.

This review below seems to back up what most people feel about the Modus shaft...
http://www.golfwrx.com/231525/iron-shaft-shootout-top-rated-steel-and-graphite-iron-shafts-get-put-to-the-test/

Wildon DXI 22* Vooodoo S

• 3 months later...

[/quote]

So look like for the KBS TOUR players, they will fit more with the Modus 120s?

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[quote name='viperstudio' timestamp='1420512569' post='10692711']

[/quote]

So look like for the KBS TOUR players, they will fit more with the Modus 120s?
[/quote]

To me KBS C-Taper is more like the 120 and KBS Tour V is a lot like the 130. However, the Japan version, the Modus 125, I think is the closest to a KBS Tour, it's kind of an in-betweener and more of a constant bend profile like the KBS tour. Nippon may bring the 125 to the US but you can order them online via eBay or from different places like tourspecgolf etc.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Okay i guess i need to try both 120 and 130. I don't like the feel of the KBS C-Taper but the KBS Tour is perfect for me. But I am worried the 130 is 10 grams heavier than 120. I might try the 125 also.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[quote name='Marshawn Lynch' timestamp='1420516716' post='10693103'] very little info there comparing the 2. OP here. [/quote]

Plenty of info here...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1102365-it-just-me-or-are-a-lot-of-pros-switching-to-nippon-iron-shafts/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...on-iron-shafts/[/url]

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

[quote name='Aragolf' timestamp='1420687871' post='10706239']
For those of you that have gone to the 130's are you maintaining the flex you normally play? I've always been a dgx100 or kbs tour x guy with no issues. Played steelfiber 110x and ctapers x and found them both too stiff and boardy.
[/quote]

In the 130, I think you can drop to an S. I've played DGX and KBS Tour X also, i went with the 130 in Stiff for my test club. The few swings I've had, it's definitely not too soft.

If you go 120, you'd have to go TX, the 120s appear to be about a flex softer than DG, such as you can attempt to compare the flex of those two. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 1 year later...

I hit the Modus 120X in a Miura CB57 6-iron tonight. For context, I'm working with a renowned fitter and club builder on building a full set of CB57's. Starting with heads only, and before my in-depth fitting, I spent a couple weeks hitting the 4i, 7i, and PW with S300's straight in as a good "reference" shaft. Testing results on the True Temper Shaft Lab suggest that my level of loading would fit with about a 6.9 frequency in my iron shafts. In the DG line, this would roughly align with X100 straight in. We also determined that my irons should be 1" over standard. When asked about my feel and launch preferences, I told him I would prefer a lower launch than I was getting with the S300, and said I was worried that the S300 (or X100) would be a bit too heavy in my long irons, especially at 1" over standard length. His initial suggestion was to try the Modus 120X. I was actually hoping this would be on the list because I've heard great things about Nippon and have been curious about these.

This shaft actually performed very well in terms of ball flight -- launched lower than the S300s and gave me admirable carry yardages (190 carry with a 6-iron, which is solid for me).

That said, my initial impression is that these are not for me. They feel a bit too light, and the soft butt and soft mid-section made the shaft feel a bit flimsy. I found myself getting more handsy, and didn't always have a sense of where the clubhead was. Perhaps the Tour X version would be a better fit for me on these fronts. But my biggest issue was with the long stiff tip. The light weight of this shaft combined with the extremely stiff tip made impact feel clicky...likes there's no substance or compression at impact. The best analogy I can think of is that it sort of feels like I'm hitting a ping pong ball. It may come off plenty hot but because there is basically zero deflection in the bottom 14" of the shaft there is no sensation of compression. By contrast, we might say that the S300 feels like hitting a tennis ball. On a well struck shot, there's a sensation that the ball is compressing and that it's staying on the club face a bit longer. Both the club and the ball seem heavier, and impact feels meaty. Moreover, I generally found that with the Modus 120X, the impact sensation was pretty much the same whether I flushed it or hit it thin.

So back to the drawing board...other shafts on my radar include DGX100, C-Taper S+/X, Modus 130X. Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are welcomed.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (9*), Shaft TBD

3W: Titleist TSi2 (15*) OR TSi3 (15*), Shaft TBD

5W: Titleist TSi2 (18*), Shaft TBD

4i-PW: Miura MB101, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

52*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

56*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel)

60*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel) 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Newport, Teryllium T22

I play 120X and they are great. I love the feel and how it's not harsh like x100 or CT130. And it keeps my flight down compared to the PX6.5.

It feels like I am playing a stiff with the numbers and performance of an X. People say it plays soft to flex, but after extensive TM time fitting me into shafts, the numbers did not show that. It definitely FEELS soft to flex and, for me, that is perfect.