Just moved to suburban Philly...Main Line / Wayne / Malvern

STW

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to the Wayne area from Atlanta and would appreciate some local insights on the golf scene:

• Would like to find a decent place to practice (checked out Glen Mills this weekend and while the facilities were nice, good turf was a little tough to find)
  • Will also be checking out private clubs sometime soon (I think)
    • Will need to balance the family scene with golf as I have three small kids and a wife who claims to be interested in rekindling her tennis flames
    • Just turned 40 so I think I have aged out of some "junior" offers

Could also use some prospective golf buddies as I sort this out. I am around a 6 index now (used to be lower) and never hesitate to buy post-round beers...

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in the heart of it there in Wayne. Plenty of great options right in your back yard. You can't go wrong with White Manor, Waynesborough, Overbrook etc. All three of those are great courses with nice racquets facilities. Waynesborough has the nicest tennis and paddle facilities and White Manor will have the best practice range. They just converted to Bermuda and it's awesome.

Steer clear of St Davids, it's one of the worst layouts I've ever encountered. I literally can't believe it's a Ross. Applebrook is awesome but golf only, no pool or racquets. West Chester Country Club is a 9 hole craptacular design. Hershey Mills is in a 55 + community and the membership reflects that fact.

I'm leaving Aronimink and Gulph Mills off the list as they are invite only, but if you get the chance to play either don't pass it up. Aronimink is one of the best courses you'll ever play, and Gulph Mills is one of the best kept secrets in Philly.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

7+ years since I have lived in Philly area, but Drudersh is pretty spot on with his advice. However, I would suggest checking out St. Davids. While not the best layout, good people, good conditions, and great location if you're in the Radnor part of Wayne.

Another option to check out, though I haven't played in years, is Chester Valley. I think technically Malvern, but I knew folks from the Western side of Wayne who joined.

Finally, don't entirely rule out aronimink. My understanding is they have a soft spot for really good golfers. Get than index a bit lower, meet a member, and good things will happen. It is my favorite place in all of Philly (have played just about everywhere but Gulph Mills)

Plenty of great private courses near you, public courses/places to practice are going to be a little out of the way. Plenty of decent public courses north of you along the 476 corridor, some more are east along the turnpike heading out towards Abington, and west heading towards Downingtown/West Chester.

Edited out st. davids comment because I was wrong.

Welcome to the area!

Plenty of great private courses near you, public courses/places to practice are going to be a little out of the way. Plenty of decent public courses north of you along the 476 corridor, some more are east along the turnpike heading out towards Abington, and west heading towards Downingtown/West Chester.

I actually just had a phone conversation with someone at St. Davids, you can pm if you're curious about pricing. They recently got bought out by ClubCorp, if that sways your decision one way or another.

Welcome to the area!

. St. Davids got is now with Club Corp? Were they having financial difficulty? I hope that's true. Club corp is really expanding in the Philly area this year, adding North Hills, Radley Run and French Creek.

Thanks everyone...this helps a lot.

Of those mentioned, I have only played Chester Valley. Gotta work my way onto some of the others....

This is A bit off topic because you asked about private courses.

I play Aronomink with my brother in law and his dad who are both members but Last time I was there I went off on my own a couple of days.

I Just thought of 2 nice public courses I played out there last fall. Very reasonable prices. Hickory Valley golf club in Gilbertsville. 2 courses there. I only played one of them but it was fun. Also played Riverwinds just over the River in New Jersey. That was decent as well. Some Nice views right on the water.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Bit of an aging thread, but a reoccurring topic...mainly - where to play good golf in Philly. As Philly Golf Guy has said, there is a ton of great public golf here. Check out his link for detailed reviews (IMO a great service). There is also a wealth of private clubs and courses.

Anyway, the constant debate in my head is tour the publics, or settle down into membership at a private. Obviously both have a host of pros and cons. Personally, I don't qualify for any of the fantastic membership deals designed for growing a long-lasting membership by focusing on younger golfers. This puts me in a position where I would pay full rack rate because of my age. I've heard the word "negotiable" thrown about here quite a bit when discussing annual dues and initiation fees etc for private golf and/or country clubs. I wonder if anyone can speak of their experiences regarding this alleged flexibility. Is there really a back-and-forth, like a real-estate transaction? How does one begin a "negotiation" without sounding like someone haggling at a flea market? Obviously, you risk demeaning the club and looking the fool if you take the wrong approach. If membership dues are indeed flexible, how does one explore that?

Or is this idea completely off the wall?

Thanks!

Welcome to the area. Lots of great golf. I've reviewed a bunch of Philly courses if you're looking for some info.

https://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com

Great reviews! makes me think about all the golf I did NOT play this year!

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Hi

Bit of an aging thread, but a reoccurring topic...mainly - where to play good golf in Philly. As Philly Golf Guy has said, there is a ton of great public golf here. Check out his link for detailed reviews (IMO a great service). There is also a wealth of private clubs and courses.

Anyway, the constant debate in my head is tour the publics, or settle down into membership at a private. Obviously both have a host of pros and cons. Personally, I don't qualify for any of the fantastic membership deals designed for growing a long-lasting membership by focusing on younger golfers. This puts me in a position where I would pay full rack rate because of my age. I've heard the word "negotiable" thrown about here quite a bit when discussing annual dues and initiation fees etc for private golf and/or country clubs. I wonder if anyone can speak of their experiences regarding this alleged flexibility. Is there really a back-and-forth, like a real-estate transaction? How does one begin a "negotiation" without sounding like someone haggling at a flea market? Obviously, you risk demeaning the club and looking the fool if you take the wrong approach. If membership dues are indeed flexible, how does one explore that?

Thanks!

I don’t have any experience with negotiating on that, but one thing you should look into if you don’t mind a bit of a drive is a non residential membership. There are a good number of clubs that offer them and the drive could be anywhere from 45 minutes or so. Lots of great deals out there at great clubs going that route.

Hi

Thanks!

I don’t have any experience with negotiating on that, but one thing you should look into if you don’t mind a bit of a drive is a non residential membership. There are a good number of clubs that offer them and the drive could be anywhere from 45 minutes or so. Lots of great deals out there at great clubs going that route.

That's a good point. I know of a few clubs that have satellite memberships that I've considered adding as a second club because they are so reasonable. Moselem Springs comes to the front of my mind as they offer this membership category and that is an awesome course and total hidden gem.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

great suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. For myself though, there is a bit of the gym/proximity thing going on in my mind. It could be a great value but i ask myself how often would I go if I had to drive 45 min + to use it? Guess a lot if it depends on how/when you golf. I tend to golf after work most often, so this non-resident club member thing could be a stretch. I'll explore it further tho. Thanks again!

I actually just had a phone conversation with someone at St. Davids, you can pm if you're curious about pricing. They recently got bought out by ClubCorp, if that sways your decision one way or another.

Welcome to the area!

. St. Davids got is now with Club Corp? Were they having financial difficulty? I hope that's true. Club corp is really expanding in the Philly area this year, adding North Hills, Radley Run and French Creek.

Did ClubCorp just acquire French Creek? Very interesting. Clubcorp does have it listed on their website, but FC's website hasn't been converted to the standard CC website yet. Can't find a press release either.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

Welcome to the area!

Did ClubCorp just acquire French Creek? Very interesting. Clubcorp does have it listed on their website, but FC's website hasn't been converted to the standard CC website yet. Can't find a press release either.

They are an affiliate club with Club Corp. If you are a Club Corp member you have access to French Creek for reduced fees.

Welcome to the area!

They are an affiliate club with Club Corp. If you are a Club Corp member you have access to French Creek for reduced fees.

Gotcha. Is that new or has it always (at least recently) been like that. I wasn't aware either way, just curious

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread seems inactive but since people might end up looking for the same information in the future I will add my two cents.

To the courses above, I would add Llanerch Country Club and Rolling Green Golf Course. Both courses are a good 15 minutes from Wayne, but if you work in Philly they might be on your way to the office. And both courses are excellent challenges.

> @Mullyman said:

> > @"Philly Golf Guy" said:

> > Welcome to the area. Lots of great golf. I've reviewed a bunch of Philly courses if you're looking for some info.

> >

> >

> >

> > https://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com

> I found this in searching for information on Philmont, thanks for your extensive review.

>

Prob not the best time to check out Philmont. The course didn't survive the summer heat and extreme rainfall

Agree, played there last week, some of the greens had a lot of non-grass areas.> @dankil13 said:

> > @Mullyman said:

> > > @"Philly Golf Guy" said:

> > > Welcome to the area. Lots of great golf. I've reviewed a bunch of Philly courses if you're looking for some info.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > https://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com

> > I found this in searching for information on Philmont, thanks for your extensive review.

> >

>

> Prob not the best time to check out Philmont. The course didn't survive the summer heat and extreme rainfall

> @Mullyman said:

> Agree, played there last week, some of the greens had a lot of non-grass areas.> @dankil13 said:

> > > @Mullyman said:

> > > > @"Philly Golf Guy" said:

> > > > Welcome to the area. Lots of great golf. I've reviewed a bunch of Philly courses if you're looking for some info.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > https://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com

> > > I found this in searching for information on Philmont, thanks for your extensive review.

> > >

> >

> > Prob not the best time to check out Philmont. The course didn't survive the summer heat and extreme rainfall

>

>

Only some? You must have played it on a good day. I am looking for a new club after playing yesterday. I have played away the last couple of weeks and the course has gone from really bad to atrocious.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Mullyman said:

> Agree, played there last week, **some** of the greens had a lot of non-grass areas.> @dankil13 said:

> > > @Mullyman said:

> > > > @"Philly Golf Guy" said:

> > > > Welcome to the area. Lots of great golf. I've reviewed a bunch of Philly courses if you're looking for some info.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > https://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com

> > > I found this in searching for information on Philmont, thanks for your extensive review.

> > >

> >

> > Prob not the best time to check out Philmont. The course didn't survive the summer heat and extreme rainfall

>

>

I'm surprised you said "some" Right now we have 14 temporary greens and greens from the South.