GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

2019 Houston Open

12346»

Comments

• Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers  707WRX Points: 168Handicap: 2Posts: 707 Golden Tee

There is no one at this tournament. Most Korn Ferry events have bigger or at least equal crowds

Posted:
    WITB

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8.5  HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 14.5   Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 Project X 6.5
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18  52 degrees
    Mizuno T5  56 and 62
    Odyssey O Works 7s
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • snizzlesnizzle Members  534WRX Points: 134Posts: 534 Golden Tee

On -, @Creedo77 said:

On -, @snizzle said:

On -, @Creedo77 said:

On -, @Creedo77 said:

Really like Lanto Griffin to win this week. My buddy caddies for him and they've been pretty consistent since the KFT finals

LFG!!!! One more round like today and he'll do it

Great call after 54 holes.
    With that said it's crazy the winner of this event gets the full 500 fedex points (just 100 less than the Masters)..The PGA still needs to do some tweeking on the fedex point calculations. Too bad they can't tie it into SOF.

i posted that on thursday afternoon.....

Yep I saw you called that on Thursday. I just meant you had the 54 hole leader.
    Looks like Lanto has a 5 footer to win the tournament. Nice call!

Posted:
  • Creedo77Creedo77 Members  934WRX Points: 215Posts: 934 Golden Tee

Ah man what a win for Lanto and my boy Chris Nash!!!! cha chinnnnnng

Posted:
  • Mick DouglasMick Douglas Members  334WRX Points: 74Posts: 334 Greens

Nice to see Cink playing well this week and I see he's in the field for the Open De France next week on the Euro Tour... tournament has gone from a $7m Rolex event to a standard one and sadly the strength of the field resembles that.

Posted:
  • DrivingChampDrivingChamp Members  359WRX Points: 133Posts: 359 Greens

Sad and pathetic to see what has happened to the Houston Open

Posted:
  • flushemflushem Members  2158WRX Points: 449Handicap: 11.5Posts: 2,158 Platinum Tees

yes pretty lame and sad. Even my fantasy group had no enthusiasm at all.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2891WRX Points: 409Posts: 2,891 Titanium Tees

I had friends there today who seemed to be having a great time.

I didn't bother going; rather play a round for the same price it was to watch today and just watch on TV, still great watching pros play a course you have played a few times.

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
    • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members  6344WRX Points: 3,249Handicap: 10.8Posts: 6,344 Titanium Tees

The field may have had less ranking points than Rickie Fowler's wedding, but there are still great stories out there.

winner Lanto Griffin https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/10/13/lanto-griffin-incredible-journey-leads-to-emotional-first-pga-tour-win-houston-open.html

runner up Scott Harrington https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-dream-that-cancer-couldnt-stop-on-scott-and-jenn-harrington-the-feel-good-story-of-the-golf-season

Yes Sungjae "No Weeks Off" Im went home to Korea and won from 7 shots back in the final round.

Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4810WRX Points: 1,882Posts: 4,810 Titanium Tees

On -, @Darth Putter said:

The field may have had less ranking points than Rickie Fowler's wedding, but there are still great stories out there.

LOL! That's funny.

Posted:
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members  630WRX Points: 145Posts: 630 Golden Tee

Go Lanto!!!!! Great to see a member of my high school golf team (we did not overlap) and the Country Club I grew up playing nab a win on the PGA Tour!

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6329WRX Points: 1,763Handicap: 3Posts: 6,329 Titanium Tees

Now that I am older, I like it when older guys make it out on Tour. Lanto Griffin coming from obscurity to winning for the first time on the PGA Tour at 31 is the kind of motivation that I need.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Advertisement
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4966WRX Points: 736Posts: 4,966 Titanium Tees

Found out yesterday while playing with a buddy of mine that his son got in on a sponsors exemption. Unfortunately missed the cut. It was his first PGA Tour event. He’s been playing on the PGA Tour China this year, and finished high enough on their order of merit to qualify for second stage of KF Tour Q-school.

Posted:
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members  1435WRX Points: 452Posts: 1,435 Platinum Tees

These events are actually pretty cool. When the Lanto's of the world win, it's life changing.

Posted:
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2347WRX Points: 326Handicap: 15Posts: 2,347 Platinum Tees

I wasn’t even the least bit tempted to go out there this week. Wonder if moving to Memorial will change peoples perception of the October event?

Posted:
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9551WRX Points: 3,174Posts: 9,551 Titanium Tees

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

These events are actually pretty cool. When the Lanto's of the world win, it's life changing.

Agreed, as much as I like the top 20 guys slug it out, it's just as fun to watch the journeymen/emerging players make a name for themselves. Gutsy T2 for Harrington as well, his personal life very much mirror's my own so inspiring to see him persevere.

Posted:
  • ND2005ND2005 Members  289WRX Points: 78Posts: 289 Greens

On -, @Lagavulin62 said:

I wasn’t even the least bit tempted to go out there this week. Wonder if moving to Memorial will change peoples perception of the October event?

I'm hoping Crane can pull some strings and convince some star players to sign on.

This year was a complete dud turnout wise (both players and fans).

Losing the april date was just tragic. October is terrible for golf - too many competing sporting events so fans aren't as engaged/likely to attend.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
    Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
    Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
    Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
    Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
    Artisan 0217, Customer #62

Advertisement
  • mankumanku Members  913WRX Points: 307Posts: 913 Golden Tee

I like to see life changing wins on the tour more than anything...a close second is when one of the greats wins.

What bores me is watching someone like Kuchar winning...a very solid player, who has made a fortune, yet inspires no real passion as a golf fan. Like watching someone print money.

Posted:
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members  1435WRX Points: 452Posts: 1,435 Platinum Tees

On -, @manku said:

I like to see life changing wins on the tour more than anything...a close second is when one of the greats wins.

What bores me is watching someone like Kuchar winning...a very solid player, who has made a fortune, yet inspires no real passion as a golf fan. Like watching someone print money.

Agreed and nothing against Kuchar in particular but that's a good example

Posted:
  • DMess18DMess18 Members  31WRX Points: 25Posts: 31 Bunkers

On -, @burnsniper said:

Go Lanto!!!!! Great to see a member of my high school golf team (we did not overlap) and the Country Club I grew up playing nab a win on the PGA Tour!

Lanto has a great story that everyone should hear. My son takes lessons from Steve at RCC and BCC is one of my sons favorite courses to play.

Posted:
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members  630WRX Points: 145Posts: 630 Golden Tee

On -, @DMess18 said:

On -, @burnsniper said:

Lanto has a great story that everyone should hear. My son takes lessons from Steve at RCC and BCC is one of my sons favorite courses to play.

Steve’s a great guy and excellent teacher!

Posted:
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2347WRX Points: 326Handicap: 15Posts: 2,347 Platinum Tees

On -, @ND2005 said:

On -, @Lagavulin62 said:

I'm hoping Crane can pull some strings and convince some star players to sign on.

This year was a complete dud turnout wise (both players and fans).

Losing the april date was just tragic. October is terrible for golf - too many competing sporting events so fans aren't as engaged/likely to attend.

Texas/Oklahoma, Astros in playoffs, not really the best weather, and like you said, mini tour and a few has been pros. Recipe for a snooze fest, which I think it was. Parking at Memorial will be a nightmare. Even the novelty of seeing the redesigned course I don't think will encourage many to burden themselves with Houston traffic and then a shuttle drive to the course. This tournament is cooked.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • lc1342lc1342 Members  320WRX Points: 60Handicap: 12Posts: 320 Greens

I know this is a 2019 thread but the Houston Open for 2020 is official for November 9th through the 15th. A little later from last year. Guessing it’s after the Asian swing?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.