Missed the putt

So as a short preface, i'm in my fourth season of playing golf, im about a 15 handicap at this point (no lessons, play once a week). 1 year into playing, I got lucky and chipped in for my first and only eagle just off the fringe of a downhill par 5.

Today im playing a dogleg left 500yd par 5. Hit driver 285 and stuck my 20° hybrid to 3 FEET. It was a straight away putt, a little bit downhill but THREE FEET. I just tap the ball and looks to be good but - toilet bowls and lips out so i settle for birdie.

Ruined my round, i couldnt believe that it happened!!!! Had to air it out, was soo pissed

Comments

• Smooth spin scottSmooth spin scott Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    edited Jul 8, 2018 #2
    should've taken a gimme! image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />

Seriously, you'll have more eagle attempts, I've eagled by chipping in, 151 yard 9 iron, 25+ foot putt.... It will happen when you least expect to make it. Don't sweat it its golf.
    Driver - M2
    3 wood - 915f
    Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
    Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
    Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
    Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club
  • gregkp5gregkp5 Posts: 80

Seriously, you'll have more eagle attempts, I've eagled by chipping in, 151 yard 9 iron, 25+ foot putt.... It will happen when you least expect to make it. Don't sweat it its golf.

hahah my playing partner even offered a gimme. For eagle, i couldnt take it
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 Posts: 146 ✭✭
    gregkp5 wrote:

Good man, I rarely take them if it’s for par or better. It’s more satisfying if you don’t take it.
  • trileriantrilerian Members Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Hitting your driver 285, I assume you will have plenty of opportunities to make eagles. Great form in not taking the gimmie.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX
    gregkp5 wrote:

Good on you for not taking it. Instead of thinking about the missed putt, just keep remembering how good the hybrid shot was that got you there.

And you hit the ball far enough, you'll have another opportunity soon.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • panthers985panthers985 Members Posts: 4
    gregkp5 wrote:

So as a short preface, i'm in my fourth season of playing golf, im about a 15 handicap at this point (no lessons, play once a week). 1 year into playing, I got lucky and chipped in for my first and only eagle just off the fringe of a downhill par 5.

Today im playing a dogleg left 500yd par 5. Hit driver 285 and stuck my 20° hybrid to 3 FEET. It was a straight away putt, a little bit downhill but THREE FEET. I just tap the ball and looks to be good but - toilet bowls and lips out so i settle for birdie.

Ruined my round, i couldnt believe that it happened!!!! Had to air it out, was soo pissed

Don't feel bad. I've been golfing for 17 years and I'm a 6 handicap and have never gotten an eagle.
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Its never bad to settle for a birdie! At least that wasnt your first eagle attempt, you already had the monkey off your back.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,765 ✭✭
    partner jinxed ya.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,005 ✭✭
    time for a new putter......that thing ruined your game!!!
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭
    gregkp5 wrote:

Birdie is always a good score.

"Always putt them out and carry less than two towels."

Ferg.
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    MTP.........that's my middle name.
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    Everybody misses putts, even the professionals, and much shorter than yours. There's nothing like pressure over a putt to cause you problems. I double tapped a 15in putt for birdie while playing in a tournament. Talk about getting torqued inside, well that did it. The best relief I get for something like that is realizing that everybody does it from time to time. That's just how golf goes.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭
    sharkiesj wrote:

MTP.........that's my middle name.

My guess - you're lifting the head. Not the cabbage - the putter head.

Keep the the putter head lower to the ground after you strike the ball.
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Growing up there was a shortish par 5 that screamed eagle that I could never quite make a 3 on. With the prevailing wind you could cut the corner and have a wedge or so in. And I would have makeable look after makeable look after makeable look. And would always miss. Had never made an eagle to that point anywhere and was sure it would come there. Then I play in a junior event at a course I had only played once (practice round) and on the 8th hole I drive a short par 4 thanks to a big wind at my back and drain like a 50 footer from the front of the green for my first eagle. Then on the back 9 I hole out on a par 4 from the fairway with an 8 Iron and record my 2nd eagle just like that. After getting that out of the way I finally eagled that home course par 5 one of the very next times I played it. Those kinds of milestones are so much fun to pull off because often times the flood gates are about to open.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • pmadden86pmadden86 Posts: 356 ✭✭
    I Spieth them from 3ft and in, its helped me a lot.
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,005 ✭✭
    Remember when DJ three putted from 12 feet and handed Jordan Spieth the US Open?

it happens