Las Vegas Trip ....where to play?

Hey guys, I'm doing to a trip to Vegas with some buddies in a few weeks....Staying at Aria. We're thinking about turning this into a golf trip as well and playing 3 rounds. Does anyone have course recommendations that meeting the following:

- Relatively close to the strip (30 minutes or less)

- No more than $100 green fees (is that even possible in Vegas?)

- Just a decent track, we're 15-20 handicaps so we don't need anything amazing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭
    Las Vegas National
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 596 ✭✭
    You can usually get Bali Hai for cheaper later in the day...doesnt get much closer to on the strip. MGM has a Top Golf...

Paiute is always a good bet too...
  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 830 ✭✭
    Peak season rates ... keep that in mind.
    Paiute is great but is like the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for.
  • byrne092byrne092 Members Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited Oct 15, 2018 #6
    How is Paiute the exact opposite? 30-40 min from the strip, sub $100 for a round, and i played there with my dad (20ish HCI) and had a great time. I would check it out at least!

Edit: My bad, i didnt see the rate change -- Looks like its more in the ~$150
    edited Oct 15, 2018 #7
    ^ The Paiute rates this time of the year are well over $100 in just about any scenario unless you are going to play so late in the day that you have near zero chance of getting in more than 9-12 holes or so, and there is no way you are getting there from Aria in 30 min or less unless it's by helicopter. Add getting out of the parking garage, etc. and traffic getting away from the Strip and through I-15, I'd plan on at least 45 minutes to get there by car unless you are leaving the hotel at like 6am or something. To be safe, I would plan on an hour from walking out of your hotel room door to getting out of the car in the Paiute lot. Getting from your room to a parked car in a big strip hotel, then getting out of the immediate area of the hotel kills a lot of time. It's not like a Super 8 in Podunkville where you are parked right outside your room.
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭
    Pauly567 wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm doing to a trip to Vegas with some buddies in a few weeks....Staying at Aria. We're thinking about turning this into a golf trip as well and playing 3 rounds. Does anyone have course recommendations that meeting the following: - Relatively close to the strip (30 minutes or less) - No more than $100 green fees (is that even possible in Vegas?) - Just a decent track, we're 15-20 handicaps so we don't need anything amazing. Thanks.

30 minutes is a good distance. Your best bet is to find a golfnow or teeoff deal. It is easier to say what is too far away. Paiute, Primm, Coyote springs,
  • SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    Las Vegas Country Club now allows public play and is right behind the strip. There is so much history on that course from Old Las Vegas. I recommend getting the Las Vegas Country Club book on eBay and reading it on the plane.
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,260 ClubWRX
    don't care how far it is but going to vegas without a public play at paiute is just wrong. it's that good.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 711 ✭✭
    I liked Rio Secco. Didn’t care for Bali Hai. The layout is just strange to me. Course is in good condition though.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭
    I vote reflection bay, bears best, TPC las vegas, as the top 3 within 30 minutes.
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,068 ClubWRX
    It’s not a top tier course, but it’s close and usually cheap. Angel Park in the Summerlin area. 36 holes.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • NoCautionNoCaution Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I say it every time this gets asked; Reflection Bay is my favorite golf course. Not favorite in Vegas. Favorite of all time, and I've played some VERY nice courses this year. It will probably cost more than you're looking to spend, and it's a tad farther than your requested distance, but it's a pretty outstanding place.

Within your requirements; Rhodes Ranch, Chimera, Desert Pines, and Angel Park are all decent courses. AP is the cheapest of the bunch, but you can stretch your dollar quite a ways there.
    I'd certainly hate to be left out of the "WITB signature" thingy, so...

Cobra F8 Tour Length Driver 9.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
    Cobra F8 3 Wood 14.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0, 3/4 inch short
    Cobra F8 4 Hybrid 22° - UST Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap Black F4, 1/2 inch short
    Taylormade P790 5-AW Irons - KBS Tour FLT 120 S, 1/4 inch short
    Edel 54°, 58°, and 62° Wedges - KBS Hi-Rev, with various mods and adjustments
    Custom Black Machine M20 Putter - Matte Black Shaft and Skull Edition Superstroke Pistol GT Tour Grip
    Bridgestone B330 RX Balls (or e6 if I start to lose too many that day)
    Ogio Silencer bag for riding/pushcart or Jones Original bag for carrying
    Bagboy Triswivel II for my fat @$$ to walk more
    All clubs besides putter have MCC +4 standard grips, with the "Align" version on driver and fairway
    Custom VW GTI plaid seat headcovers and towel
    Asher Death Wish glove, obnoxious purple pants with a bright green belt, and a pentagram ball marker to irritate the old men who take everything WAY too seriously
  • Lefty Light HItterLefty Light HItter Members Posts: 1,406 ✭✭
    Any courses better than others (has to be one's I can get on) for singles? I don't want to get paired up and would like to play a place that's not very crowded.
    In search of solid contact...
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,550 ✭✭
    Coyote Spring vs Paiute. What would you recommend?
    WWG1 WGA
  • WildcatGolferWildcatGolfer Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Paiute courses are fantastic but I still contend coyote is best kept secret in town. I enjoyed Rhodes ranch too which can be a good deal. Las Vegas golf club is fine if you want a cheap round
    Shovels
    Rakes
    2x4s
    Baseball Bat

Paiute courses are fantastic but I still contend coyote is best kept secret in town. I enjoyed Rhodes ranch too which can be a good deal. Las Vegas golf club is fine if you want a cheap round

I booked a tee time at CS in early Dec. $83 for out-of-towner. Not a bad price. Looking forward to some action.
    WWG1 WGA
  • eboettneeboettne Members Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Played Coyote Springs in March for the 1st time and really enjoyed it despite less than ideal weather. Greens are a trip though, roller coaster putts. By the end of the round the other guy and I subscribed to the hit the putt and pray method. If I had to rank my courses I've played in and around Vegas:

Wolf Creek

Reflection Bay

TPC LV

Coyote Springs

Falcon Ridge

Las Vegas Golf Center Par 3 Course

Concord at Revere

A course that closed and reopened whose name I'm failing to remember
    eboettne wrote:

Played Coyote Springs in March for the 1st time and really enjoyed it despite less than ideal weather. Greens are a trip though, roller coaster putts. By the end of the round the other guy and I subscribed to the hit the putt and pray method. If I had to rank my courses I've played in and around Vegas:

Wolf Creek

Reflection Bay

TPC LV

Coyote Springs

Falcon Ridge

Concord at Revere

thanx for the advice. Wolf Creek is #1 on my all time list.
    WWG1 WGA
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #23
    flushem wrote:

eboettne wrote:

Wolf Creek

Reflection Bay

TPC LV

Coyote Springs

Falcon Ridge

Concord at Revere

I'll defend that course to the death against the design snobs. Most fun I've ever had on a golf course!
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    eboettne wrote:

You thinking about Legacy?

Good track, last I played there though their greens were patchy and terrible. They are probably having some issues with the grass on the greens
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-PW
    GW - Callaway MD3 (S-48º)
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball
    eboettne wrote:

flushem wrote:

eboettne wrote:

Wolf Creek

Reflection Bay

TPC LV

Coyote Springs

Falcon Ridge

Concord at Revere

I'll defend that course to the death against the design snobs. Most fun I've ever had on a golf course!

Absolutely amen to that.
    WWG1 WGA

eboettne wrote:

Good track, last I played there though their greens were patchy and terrible. They are probably having some issues with the grass on the greens

That's the one! I remember seeing one of the bigger houses I've ever seen framing a par 3 hole. Hearing they closed the next year had a feeling those homeowners weren't too pleased.
    eboettne wrote:

eboettne wrote:

That's the one! I remember seeing one of the bigger houses I've ever seen framing a par 3 hole. Hearing they closed the next year had a feeling those homeowners weren't too pleased.

IMO, The Legacy is decent track. Good course overall except the thick carpet-like green. Sad to see it will go following Badland.
    WWG1 WGA
    flushem wrote:

eboettne wrote:

eboettne wrote:

IMO, The Legacy is decent track. Good course overall except the thick carpet-like green. Sad to see it will go following Badland.

It's not, but in comparison to the others I've played in that area it's definitely last. Conditions were not good and when I heard it ended up closing it wasn't much of a surprise.
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    Best Course for $100 or less....Boulder Creek Golf Club in Boulder City. Plays similar to Paiute.
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • FotsguyFotsguy Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    How did you get a tee time at LVCC?
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Wolf is more fun, but for the price and distance I liked Coyote Springs better. Was underwhelmed at Paiute but didn't get to play the Wolf there.
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]