2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Fighting Gravity and THE Club Weight

BB28403 ·  
BB28403BB28403  4200WRX Points: 644Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,200
Do you guys think players fight gravity and the weight that is inside the club? And perhaps better players know how to use the THE club weight with gravity and the natural way the club wants to fall.

Are a lot of players losing energy in the swing because they go against the natural downward path the clubhead and weight want to travel?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.
Posted:

Comments

• iteachgolfiteachgolf  17061WRX Points: 1,189Members Posts: 17,061
    If the club just fell from gravity, it’d never get to the ball and would be traveling extremely slowly. Gravity has a negligible affect and has been discussed plenty. To get the club to shallow players are actually applying a force on the handle in opposite direction of gravity. The golfer is the one who applies the force that makes the club move.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hilts1969Hilts1969  1103WRX Points: 104Members Posts: 1,103
    Not really the club is far too light to be concerned by gravity. I have tried the gravity thing and it didn’t work but saying that I have tried everything.
    Posted:
  • Boris2016Boris2016  38WRX Points: 1Handicap: 10Banned Posts: 38
    iteachgolf wrote:

If the club just fell from gravity, it'd never get to the ball and would be traveling extremely slowly. Gravity has a negligible affect and has been discussed plenty. To get the club to shallow players are actually applying a force on the handle in opposite direction of gravity. The golfer is the one who applies the force that makes the club move.

Wow, what an inspirational post. Of course, if the club just fell from gravity it would never get to the ball.....how could it!

Hilarious!
    Posted:
    Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

If the club just fell from gravity, it'd never get to the ball and would be traveling extremely slowly. Gravity has a negligible affect and has been discussed plenty. To get the club to shallow players are actually applying a force on the handle in opposite direction of gravity. The golfer is the one who applies the force that makes the club move.

Wow, what an inspirational post. Of course, if the club just fell from gravity it would never get to the ball.....how could it!

Hilarious!

Go read other threads and that’s not obvious to many. Gravity has a negligible affect on the club and shouldn’t even be given a second thought
    Posted:
    iteachgolf wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Hilarious!

Go read other threads and that's not obvious to many. Gravity has a negligible affect on the club and shouldn't even be given a second thought

Well, thank you so much for the clarification. There is enough to think about , who the heck is thinking about Gravity?

Some of the posters here, how the **** do they even procreate. If they made it as complicated as the golf swing, foreplay would take 5 hours. And then of course, we have to consider "Gravity"

Hilarious dude, this is all hilarious.

Anyway, I can't thank you enough for all this wisdom about "Gravity".
    Posted:
    Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Hilarious!

Go read other threads and that's not obvious to many. Gravity has a negligible affect on the club and shouldn't even be given a second thought

Well, thank you so much for the clarification. There is enough to think about , who the heck is thinking about Gravity?

Some of the posters here, how the **** do they even procreate. If they made it as complicated as the golf swing, foreplay would take 5 hours. And then of course, we have to consider "Gravity"

Don’t wanna read about it then don’t. Plenty of people obviously think about it and guys like Malaska babble on about it and spread misinformation. Thanks for your wonderful contribution though
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve  2636WRX Points: 490Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,636
    Just hit the ball, go find it and hit it again. Enjoy the game.
    Posted:
    • PING G SFT 10*
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 4h, 5h, 6h
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 7-GW
    • Cleveland CG16 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OH 7267WRX Points: 566Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 7,267
    LOL. 10 pm in Berlin. Maybe some adult beverages have been consumed before posting.
    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    iteachgolf wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Hilarious!

Don't wanna read about it then don't. Plenty of people obviously think about it and guys like Malaska babble on about it and spread misinformation. Thanks for your wonderful contribution though

Plenty of people think about Gravity? LOL! Dude, I gotta change my panties, I am laughing so hard.

I have yet to play with anyone who ever mentioned gravity, or even remotely hinted at it. And play well over 100 rounds a year. So plenty of people? How many is plenty in your world?

Have had dozens of lessons, never heard any reference to "Gravity". Played in college and high school, no mention of "Gravity". Where have I been? How could I possibly have played all these years and never considered "Gravity"

The day I here someone comment on gravity and their golf swing, I will surely let you know. Chances are that climate change will have set in, and all the coastal cities will have been evacuated from the surging water.

Funny, the way you say another instructor is "bablbing". Real professional.

Well, God bless you my firend, and may the forces of gravity be well for you~.
    Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9814WRX Points: 845Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,814
    Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Hilarious!

You should search the phrase "tantric ****" but not in this forum.

image/offtopic2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':offtopic2:' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3347WRX Points: 487Members Posts: 3,347
    not so much gravity but the better players know how to swing a club with weight at the end of it. Weight that gets thrown around during the swing, gets dynamically heavy with speed to compress a ball.

they know to stay ahead of the weight in the circle.....some better players also let the club fall freely from the top..they call that using gravity...free fall, then use rotation to sling in through. It's simply complicated
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Oban Devotion 06/Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO /Ozik TP6HD/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 

Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 

Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403  4200WRX Points: 644Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,200
    Ok now that a few have replied , here is the video that made me think of it. Watch it and still think about what he is saying and my original question.

[URL]
    Posted:
  • GautamaGautama  823WRX Points: 204Handicap: 9Members Posts: 823
    Boris2016 wrote:

Plenty of people think about Gravity? LOL! Dude, I gotta change my panties, I am laughing so hard.

I have yet to play with anyone who ever mentioned gravity, or even remotely hinted at it. And play well over 100 rounds a year. So plenty of people? How many is plenty in your world?

Have had dozens of lessons, never heard any reference to "Gravity". Played in college and high school, no mention of "Gravity". Where have I been? How could I possibly have played all these years and never considered "Gravity"

The day I here someone comment on gravity and their golf swing, I will surely let you know. Chances are that climate change will have set in, and all the coastal cities will have been evacuated from the surging water.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1695230-letting-gravity-drop-the-club-is-the-best-advice/

One of many. Take it you're new to the site, lol.
    Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
    Gautama wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.c...he-best-advice/

One of many??? Maybe in your imagniary world. Played golf for many years all over the world. Played venues that some of you hourly workers only dream about. Never heard anyone talk about gravity. This is hilarious, utterly hilarious. Gravity is there, it is present with everything we do, but no one ever brings it up. When I take a crap, the brown masterpiece goes down the drain. Why? Because of gravity, otherwise it might fly in the air and end up in my left nostril.. It just happens, I do not say "wow, that gravity saved me from getting a load of crap up my nose".

There is enough to think about when playing golf. No rational person ponders "gravity".

Some of you are so obsessed with every detail of the golf swing. Do you worry about how the angle of your left **** in relation to your left semeniferous tubule deviates as you go from backswing to transition.? This is probably something some of you really worry about, and are very happy to part with a hundred to get answers to. There are quite a few gurus out here that will be all to happy to take your cash, and focus on all your concerns with regards to your left ****.

Thanks for this comedy relief. The gravity of all this is truly breathtaking.
    Posted:
    Boris2016 wrote:

Gautama wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1695230-letting-gravity-drop-the-club-is-the-best-advice/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...he-best-advice/[/url]

One of many??? Maybe in your imagniary world. Played golf for many years all over the world. Played venues that some of you hourly workers only dream about. Never heard anyone talk about gravity. This is hilarious, utterly hilarious. Gravity is there, it is present with everything we do, but no one ever brings it up. When I take a crap, the brown masterpiece goes down the drain. Why? Because of gravity, otherwise it might fly in the air and end up in my left nostril.. It just happens, I do not say "wow, that gravity saved me from getting a load of crap up my nose".

There is enough to think about when playing golf. No rational person ponders "gravity".

Some of you are so obsessed with every detail of the golf swing. Do you worry about how the angle of your left **** in relation to your left semeniferous tubule deviates as you go from backswing to transition.? This is probably something some of you really worry about, and are very happy to part with a hundred to get answers to. There are quite a few gurus out here that will be all to happy to take your cash, and focus on all your concerns with regards to your left ****.

Never said I personally gave gravity any thought there Boris, only shared one of many threads you'll find where people do, because you seemed so certain no one had ever brought it up before. And iteach's point was that they should not give gravity any thought, so I'm not clear what you're reacting to really. You're arguing with no one at all here pal.
    Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

Gautama wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

Gautama wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

Never said I personally gave gravity any thought there Boris, only shared one of many threads you'll find where people do, because you seemed so certain no one had ever brought it up before. And iteach's point was that they should not give gravity any thought, so I'm not clear what you're reacting to really. You're arguing with no one at all here pal.

Dude, I am not here to argue for hours with you about gravity. If this is something that is important to you, and something that you ponder for hours on end, good for you. It is a harmless activity. I wish you well in your journey, May God bless you, I wish you all the best.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh 3792WRX Points: 470Members Posts: 3,792
    And as a man of his word, boris2016 will not be arguing gravity or anything else for hours on golfwrx.
    Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• sdandreasdandrea Steve  2636WRX Points: 490Handicap: 11Members Posts: 2,636
    Gravity is a b****. The older I get, the more I hate her.
    Posted:
    • PING G SFT 10*
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 4h, 5h, 6h
    • Cobra F-Max Superlite 7-GW
    • Cleveland CG16 56*
    • Scotty Fastback
    glk wrote:

And as a man of his word, boris2016 will not be arguing gravity or anything else for hours on golfwrx.

image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Indeed...apparently he subscribes to the illiterate lunatic school of trolling. Love those.
    Posted:

• jolajola  411WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 411
    This is great entertainment .What a thread.
    Posted:
  • hurley999shurley999s  495WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 495
    Thread summary:

- what’s everyone think about letting gravity control the swing?

- nonsense, it’s been covered before

- ha! Who thinks this? Just swing!

- it’s actually been discussed a lot before. Many posts. It’s been debunked.

- ha! I’ve never heard such rubbish from any playing partners on any continent!

- nobody is saying it’s correct, just that the question gets brought up a good amount

- ha! I shall have you horse whipped! I’ve never heard this before! I will not debate further!

- ???

...and here we are!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403  4200WRX Points: 644Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,200
    Did anyone watch the video? Lol
    Posted:
  • hurley999shurley999s  495WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 495
    I watched 5 minutes...couple thoughts. First, in the first few minutes he’s talking about momentum. Most of the discussion here about gravity is in reference to previous posts about gravity/arms falling from the top. So different nuances. Second, the part about the club falling around 4 mins, yeah that’s correct if you’re holding the handle in a static pose, but the point is, the person exerts much more meaningful force on the club. Sure things can be more or less efficient depending on what the person is trying to do with the club.

Bottom line, I don’t even know where I’m going with this but I think definitions need to be clear about what specifically is being referenced (gravity, momentum, etc) and at what point in the swing, etc otherwise it lends itself to the confusion seen in this thread.
    Posted:
  • TIM929TIM929 Los Angeles 1270WRX Points: 725Handicap: 11.1Members Posts: 1,270
    hurley999s wrote:

Thread summary:

- what’s everyone think about letting gravity control the swing?

- nonsense, it’s been covered before

- ha! Who thinks this? Just swing!

- it’s actually been discussed a lot before. Many posts. It’s been debunked.

- ha! I’ve never heard such rubbish from any playing partners on any continent!

- nobody is saying it’s correct, just that the question gets brought up a good amount

- ha! I shall have you horse whipped! I’ve never heard this before! I will not debate further!

- ???

...and here we are!

LOL!

I heard the voice of Morgan Freeman when I read “... and here we are”.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist TS2 15*    3 Wood               HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                      DG S300                          Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                         DG S400                          Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                        DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                       Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Kirkland sig                                     glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan  1338WRX Points: 192Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,338
    BB28403 wrote:

Did anyone watch the video? Lol

I did. I really do think it's more about efficiently building force and using momentum vs. the 'g' word, which always seems to take things in mysterious directions. We should all make a pact not to use it. iTeach said it best on that one...

So, yes, building forces smoothly and getting speed and the right part of the swing - all good.

Not fighting yourself or the forces you've already generated in the swing - all good.

That said the golf swing is about generating forces in opposite directions at different times (backswing, downswing, throughswing)… You build energy and speed in the downswing and then (as iTeach said) have to apply a net force to the handle in the opposite direction otherwise the club would just drive into the ground. So, you deliberately create different forces in different directions, but it also makes sense that you build those in the most efficient way possible. It's those seemingly contradictory ideas that seem to make some people go looney tunes...

That g-word, though... It's like feeding gremlins after midnight.
    Posted:
  • spoonek9spoonek9  467WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 467
    iteachgolf wrote:

I just don't get how you can use the term gravity in your description but say it has little to do in the swing.

Gravity is a force.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • juststevejuststeve  5002WRX Points: 428Members Posts: 5,002
    Perhaps the best thing to say about the role of gravity in the golf swings is that its a matter on which reasonable minds can differ. People like Malaska, Flick, Clements and David Lee think gravity plays an important role in the swing. One of the esteemed teachers on this site think gravity is a negligible factor. Neither point of view should be dismissed out of hand. None of those folks should be accused of babbling and spreading false information. The first step to profound ignorance is to convince yourself that you know more than you do.

Steve
    Posted:
  • spoonek9spoonek9  467WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 467
    juststeve wrote:

Perhaps the best thing to say about the role of gravity in the golf swings is that its a matter on which reasonable minds can differ. People like Malaska, Flick, Clements and David Lee think gravity plays an important role in the swing. One of the esteemed teachers on this site think gravity is a negligible factor. Neither point of view should be dismissed out of hand. None of those folks should be accused of babbling and spreading false information. The first step to profound ignorance is to convince yourself that you know more than you do.

Steve

Agree
    Posted:
  • jslane57jslane57  3929WRX Points: 25Handicap: <5Members Posts: 3,929
    I’m enjoying this discussion. I think gravity is a fine thing to think about when swinging. Why? The smoothest and most balanced swings seem to at least begin at the same rate that gravity would start the swing. Swinging too fast or too slow is something people can see. What are you seeing? A natural speed of things, and gravity may be that guide. Of course there are lots of things as well like leverage, timing, and force...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1  1225WRX Points: 294Members Posts: 1,225
    Boris2016 wrote:

Gautama wrote:

Boris2016 wrote:

Not sure if you're for real or not. I'd say about 90% of the things we talk about on this instruction forum I have never discussed once in real life with playing partners.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.