ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Swing changes and lie angle

ScratchyDawgScratchyDawg Advanced Members Posts: 314
How often do instructors consider this? Are some instructors trying to fix problems that aren't there? I know this wouldn't really apply to higher handicappers, but should we be checking lie angles more often?

For example, let's say someone went through a professional clubfitting and was fit at 1 degree upright and hits the ball pretty well. It's a new season, and he decides to go see an instructor for a tune up. You look at his swing and determine that he's a little steep and has some early extension, so you work to shallow out his swing.

His swing now looks great, but he's pulling everything left. Do you consider checking the lie angle after a swing change? Or do you try to fix the pull another way first?
[font="times new roman, times, serif"]"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson[/font]

Comments

• ZitlowZitlow Advanced Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Correct lie angle in irons is big, so I would say fix that before trying to fix anyone's swing. I've heard that lie angle doesn't make any difference in drivers but I'm not so sure about that.
  • nostaticnostatic ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 25 ClubWRX
    fwiw I was fit into 1 degree up irons when coming back to the game after a long layoff. Started working with an instructor rebuilding my swing, and 2 months later got fit again as I wanted to move to graphite. Was fit into 1 degree flat. My swing had gone from outside-in to inside-out during that period, so I'm assuming both fits were actually fairly "right" for that snapshot in time.
    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S - F9 5H 780 ES SW S
    Ping i210 5-U SteelFiber i95cw R - Glide 2.0 54SS/58TS - Odyssey StrokeLab #7
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723
    Buy a standard demo club on eBay that matches your set. Say a 6 Iron.

Hit both 6’s, see what you think.
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,638 ✭✭
    edited March 15

His swing now looks great, but he's pulling everything left. Do you consider checking the lie angle after a swing change? Or do you try to fix the pull another way first?

I'm not saying having a good fit for lie angle is not important or helpful - but the effect of the lie angles being off a few degrees is not really as big as most people think.

A 1* "error" in the lie angle is generally only going to result in about a 3 yard offline miss for someone who's driver swing speed is around 100 mph. And no, which club really doesn't change things all that much, Driver to wedge is going to be a lot more similar than people think.
  • ScratchyDawgScratchyDawg Advanced Members Posts: 314
    Stuart G. wrote:

I'm not saying having a good fit for lie angle is not important or helpful - but the effect of the lie angles being off a few degrees is not really as big as most people think.

A 1* "error" in the lie angle is generally only going to result in about a 3 yard offline miss for someone who's driver swing speed is around 100 mph. And no, which club really doesn't change things all that much, Driver to wedge is going to be a lot more similar than people think.

"Only" 3 yards. This is a game of inches!

But in all seriousness, I'd love to see the data behind that out of genuine interest.
    [font="times new roman, times, serif"]"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson[/font]
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,638 ✭✭

"Only" 3 yards. This is a game of inches!

But in all seriousness, I'd love to see the data behind that out of genuine interest.

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/lie1.php
  • NikeGolferTXNikeGolferTX Advanced Members Posts: 303 ✭✭
    For some reason I like less ulnar deviation in my lead hand going into impact because it feels much more relaxed and powerful.

But by doing so the heel of the club is the only thing that makes contact with the ground. I had to go 3 degrees flat just to be flush.
  • Nard_SNard_S Advanced Members Posts: 3,002 ✭✭
    Through pure swing changes I've gone toe heavy to heel heavy. I like the changes so I may in fact end up flattening a bit but will go slow road avoid over cooking things.