Topping driver....how to stop?

Played my 3rd round of the year today. On four holes today I topped my driver. The ball would go maybe 15-20 yards. I also noticed I was making a small, shallow divot a few inches in front of my tee.

What is causing this? I had a problem two years ago with skying my driver, but never had this problem before.
D/3W/H: Taylormade M2 2016
4I-AW: Taylormade P770
GW/LW: Taylormade EF
P: Seemore FGP Mallet
Ball: Taylormade TP5X

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,178 ✭✭
    Upper body moving toward target ....a lot.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,867 ✭✭

I also noticed I was making a small, shallow divot a few inches in front of my tee.

Was it really a divot? (made by club) or was it from the ball impacting the ground? The later would be more consistent with topping the ball.
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    I’ve had this problem and it was the ball that was making the divot in front of the tee. Monte would the fix me to stay behind the ball more?
  • kyleluteskylelutes Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Yes, most likely a ball mark, not divot .
  • UKGolfer86UKGolfer86 UKMembers Posts: 10 ClubWRX
    Played my 3rd round of the year today. On four holes today I topped my driver. The ball would go maybe 15-20 yards. I also noticed I was making a small, shallow divot a few inches in front of my tee.

What is causing this? I had a problem two years ago with skying my driver, but never had this problem before.
    This will likely sound crazy, but i had this very same issue late last year, well i dont know if identical reason to yours, but i was topping my driver so might worth a try.  I was teeing my ball too high, which made me really try to swing up to the ball.  When i caught it well it would fly high and long, but often if i didnt time it right id top it and dribble along the fairway.

My coach simply had me tee the ball lower, about 25% of the ball above the top line of my driver, and move it about level with the inside of my left heel.  First swing (with impact tape) right out the middle of the club, 25 yards longer than the previous best, more penetrating flight and more roll.  Went through about 15-20 and all more than acceptable and to this day ive not had an issue and my driver might well be the most consistent club in my bag right now.

Sounds counter-intuitive and might not be the fix for you, but worth a shot if you tee it high.
  • naj959naj959 Members Posts: 994 ✭✭
    Went through a spell of this last year where I couldn't hit driver to save my life. It had previously been one of my best clubs. For whatever reason I stopped setting up with shoulder tilt at address and went from hitting up on driver to hitting down on it pretty severely. The steep downswing was literally driving the ball into the ground 12 inches in front of my tee. My golf buddy pointed it out and after getting some more tilt and more on plane in the takeway, all is well.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    Sometimes it’s from teeing the ball too high and you lift up to keep from skying it and instead top it. Sometimes it’s from falling back trying to help the ball in the air. Try teeing it up where about half of the ball is even with the crown and feel like all your weight is on your front foot. 
  • DashfastDashfast Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

Teed too high would be my guess.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G Driver 9.5, Alta Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 2 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping i20 3-P [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 52 SS, 56 WS, 60 ES[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro+ Ball[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sun Mountain Bag or Ping Moonlite[/font]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji