Putter confusion...

physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

Okay, so long story short, for years, I putted with a blade style anser style putter. I liked it and putted well. Over time, I noticed that I started to get a little more anxiety with putts, and my hands would sometimes get a little jittery. So, I decided to trial a mallet style putter. I was not really a fan. I felt like a lost a lot of feeling for the putt and the ball. So, I decided to trial a counter balance putter, which is what I am using now. Unfortunately, the only one I could find was also a mallet style. So, fast forward to this past weekend when I am golfing with a rental set of clubs in Mexico. I was using a blade style putter and putted much better than I have with my current putter. But I also felt like my hands were a little too jittery. Is it crazy to think that I might benefit from a counter balance style blade putter? If so, who even makes such a thing? Sigh...perputtually confused.

Srixzon z785 9.5*
Taylormade M1 3W 15*
Srixon H7853i Hybrid 19*
Taylormade P-790 4-GW
Cleveland 588-RTX 54* SW
Cleveland 588-RTX 58* LW
Cleveland Smart Square Counterbalanced Putter

Comments

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 396 ✭✭

Golly...that's a question that you could probably only answer with trying one and seeing.
    If I were you, I'd go to a golf shop and try an Odyssey Stroke Lab putter...the No. 1 head is a straight forward blade. Heavy head, back weighted, and weight taking out of the middle of the shaft so it feels pretty balanced.

Personally, the idea of counterbalancing a blade is counterproductive...you want to be able to open and close the blade and have some control. Mallet putters are more stable and supposed to look square all the way through the stroke. Even putting an oversized grip on a blade seems goofy to me, personally.

But back to the point...try a Stroke Lab and see what you think. I'm a die hard Cameron guy myself, and I like the way the Stroke Lab blade feels.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
    SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,681 ✭✭

Sometimes a change help a little. Look at Tiger with the Ardmore for a few weeks, then back to the Scotty.
    If I'm missing with my favorite putter a lot, I'll switch to another for a few weeks. I usually go to a putter with more toe hang, like an 8802 or a flowneck blade.
    Most of the time it fixes my putting pretty quickly.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • Glaze22Glaze22 FORE!!!! Members Posts: 758 ✭✭

Just go and put a Super Stroke 2.0 counter core grip on your current putter, see if you like it. No point in going with something more expensive than you have to..... What the **** am I saying???? THIS IS GOLFWRX.....go get a brand new tour proto counter balance blade NOW!!!!!

but seriously, try a counter core in your current putter, you may like it? It may also feel to light for you after counter balancing the head. Thats when you can decide to go get a new putter or not.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭

You can make any putter a counter balance putter. You just have to find a weight ratio of head to handle that you like. I like to aim for a 2:1 head to handle ratio, so a 350g head you'll want around 175g in the handle. But it could be more or less depending on what you like to feel.

How you'd go about that are a few ways. The SuperStroke CounterCore makes it easy to do buying the 75g or 100g weight will get you to your goal faster, don't forget to include the grip weight as well into your total. The next is heavy grips, there are many grips over 100g from many different brands but if they are not what you like the final option will work. If the above two are not what you want then Opti-Vibe weights can be placed into the shaft and you can control where the weight goes, this also lets you put on a slim/thin grip if that's what you prefer.

Hope that helps, I'm a fan of counter balancing my putters and plan on doing that to all of my putters one way or another.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,286 ✭✭

@RainShadow said:
    Sometimes a change help a little. Look at Tiger with the Ardmore for a few weeks, then back to the Scotty.
    If I'm missing with my favorite putter a lot, I'll switch to another for a few weeks. I usually go to a putter with more toe hang, like an 8802 or a flowneck blade.
    Most of the time it fixes my putting pretty quickly.

Yep you nailed it on the 8802 style or even a Bullseye for that matter--- If you can putt with either one of those then you can putt with anything. But mainly it is the feel and eye hand coordination with those 2 type putters. I practice with either one or even an old Tommy Armour Ironmaster

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 803 ✭✭

I have to say I get the same feeling on blade putters, don’t like it at all.

Try the Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide (standard, not flow).

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
  • BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

I know several who play counterbalance blade putters. Coincidentally, a couple of them made the change after a bout of the heebie jeebies. One of them uses a claw grip.

• physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

@BM5D said:
    I know several who play counterbalance blade putters. Coincidentally, a couple of them made the change after a bout of the heebie jeebies. One of them uses a claw grip.

I just feel like it settles my hands down...I know it's probably all in my head...but it seems more solid. The problem is for me, the mallet head feels dull without feeling...I know..I sound like a lunatic, but I'm looking for that combination of grip weights to settle the hand down and a blade head to give some feeling and aliveness....sigh.

Srixzon z785 9.5*
    Taylormade M1 3W 15*
    Srixon H7853i Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 54* SW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 58* LW
    Cleveland Smart Square Counterbalanced Putter
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 976 ✭✭

I played around with a counterbalanced putter for a while and you can easily make your own pretty cheaply out of any putter you want. I bought a couple of tour lock weights and put it in my grip. You don't need the special tool, just drill out the end of the grip carefully.

• Wizzo1Wizzo1 Members Posts: 111 ✭✭

Seems like I read on here a while ago about a guy that taped quarters to the top of his grip. When he found the weight he liked,he would weigh the quarters and that,plus new grip would be the counterbalance weight he would buy.

• MuligansMuligans Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 8:21pm #12

Not to add to the confusion but on days like that I tend to use a light milled or flat head as it seems to be more forgiving. The additional weight on either side of the stick would definitely be more beneficial.