Erin Hills Review - 2019 - Early May

BG5

Gents,

Was able to play Erin Hills for the first time and its a very unique experience and it your in the area its def worth a play at least once in your lifetime. The setting is fantastic and the clubhouse, building, barns, snack shacks look fantastic and really give it a unique feel. It is one of the coolest golf environments that I have been around. There are plenty of outdoor areas to hang out with buddies and they are in the process of building a 100,000 sq feet putting course right by the clubhouse which should make it that much better.

The course itself is pretty tough but not as tough as Whistling Straights or Blackwolf Run in my opinion. The course played fast and firm and you can bump and run all day and I often found myself putting with a "texas wedge" from 50 yards out. The approach shots are extremely tough and many are elevated and if you miss your ball will be rolling in some cases 30-40 yards if not more. We were smart and played a combination of the whites and forward tees and it was more than enough of a challenge for my group. We were able to finish our round in 4 hours and 10 minutes which is great as they say most rounds take 5 hours. The course is not an easy walk and I was surprised how long the walk was from one green to the tee box. The greens rolled great and they seemed very fair but were quite a bit slower than Arcadia Bluffs, Whistling Straits, and Blackwolf Run and I would guess that is by design as many of the green complexes are very small with runoff so if they are to fast it would be a total nightmare.

Our group had two caddies who double bagged and they were great guys. They did a fantastic job but were young (22 years of age) and had only been there a year so there green reads were not perfect but overall I had no issues and they hustled and they were pleasant to talk to. The course was by no means in poor shape but it was not as nice of condition as Arcadia, Whistling Straights and Blackwolf Run which I played a week or so earlier.

Am I glad I played it???? Well heck yeah as it was a great experience.....with that being said I probably will not play it again for another 10-15 years as the walk was pretty tough and so was the course. There is a reason is hosted the U.S. Open.

Highlights of Erin Hills

-Atmosphere is great - barn like setting is pretty cool and the place is pretty much in the middle of nowhere

-Greens were fun to put on and rolled well and were managable

-Caddies were great

-Par 3 - 9th Hole was my favorite hole and I also enjoyed the stretch from 11-15. Many of the green complexes do have areas to "funnel" the ball if you know how to use it.

-There is a plaque on the 18th hole were Justin Thomas hit a 3 wood like 350 yards to reach that green in two which is sweet

-Playing a course where the pros play in a major is unique in itself.

I def dont want to sound like I am knocking the course and sometimes words on a message board can make you sound like you had a bad time which is totally not the case but there were a few things that surprised me.

Nitpicking items

-A very tough walk and in some cases you walked a hundred yards from one green to another tee box....not always the case but not the best routing

-It did not feel like a major championship course.....Whistling Straits blew me away with scenary......Erin hills was just ok.

-with that being said I played it in early May before the grass or fescue or whatever grew in so I imagine that later in the summer it gives the course a total different look.

-Course conditions were not nearly as good as Arcadia Bluffs, Whistling Straits, and Blackwolf Run

-Im not rich so I did not think the course was worth the money I paid....def glad I played it to say I did but it seems way overpriced for what it is. At Whistling Straits I walked away saying I can see why they charge what they do. Erin Hills seems like a $100 course to me

A very cool experience and I think if you can play it then go for it but just understand it may not rank up there with other high end places. With that being said rating courses is so subjective so take my review for what it is and understand that plenty of people will tell you its the greatest course they have ever played and that is totally fine. We all have our own course rankings and that is what makes golf unique.

Since I played Arcadia Bluffs, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run and Erin Hills so close together in the Spring I will rank them in a few areas and again they are all great courses and worth a play.

Best Greens

1. Arcadia Bluffs

2. Blackwolf Run

3. Whistling Straits

4. Erin Hills

Toughest Course

1. Blackwolf Run

2. Whistling Straits

3. Erin Hiils

4. Arcadia Bluffs

Best Overall Conditions

1. Blackwolf Run

2. Arcadia Bluffs

3. Whistling Straits

4. Erin Hills

Most Enjoyable Round

1. Arcadia Bluffs

2. Whistling Straits

3. Erin Hills

4. Blackwolf Run

Best Setting

1. Whistling Straits

2. Arcadia Bluffs

3. Erin Hills

4. Blackwolf Run

Best Staff

1. Whistling Straits

2. Erin Hills

3. Blackwolf Run

4. Arcadia Bluffs

Best Clubhouse to have a beer after

1. Arcadia Bluffs

2. Erin Hills

3. Whistling Straits

4. Blackwolf Run

Wisconsin golf is outstanding and I plan to play Sand Valley and Lawsonia in a few weeks or sometime this summer and will post a review when I do so. I also want to make sure I dont come off as a rich snob because I am far from rich. I drive a 2003 Honda Pilot that has 240,000 miles and has plenty of rust. I own 2 pairs of jeans.....a few nice t-shirts and a pair of flipflops. I dont splurge on most things but golf is one of those things that I have no problem going big especially with a baby on the way in less than a month so this year the plan was to play prob 20 rounds but at some really cool areas.

Cheers!

BG5

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

One last thing that surprised me. We teed off at 8:00 and by 9:30 I think we were around holes 8-13. We were held up by the grounds crew for 5 straight holes and usually waited as long as 3-4 minutes which got a bit annoying. I understand they have a job to do but our group paid almost $1300 for a foursome and we all had 2 caddies who double bagged. I just thought it was a bit odd that they would be spreading sand and doing all this work as we played making us wait . Here are a few pics and it was not the end of the world but when you pay $300 I dont expect that. Not a huge deal if you pay $40 but at almost 10:00 I would hope they had that stuff taken care of earlier especially at a course like Erin Hills.u7ri4bsj2vg8.jpg

51nwsq4tbniu.jpg

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Nice write up. Erin is a tough walk, but my Wisconsin favorite. We have had a very wet spring, much as they did immediately prior to playing the US Open at Erin. It can be a very different course after the first of July when the heat of summer has begun to set in and the fairways/greens get very firm and fast.

You have had a pretty sweet sampling from the Wisco golf tapas menu, but there is more.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Did you play the others courses mentioned at the same time of the year? I have to imagine that the greens at EH aren't quite up to par this time of the year.

As for the routing, I think they basically worked with what mother nature gave them. I don't believe they moved a lot of dirt, unlike Whistling. That means that sometimes the tee boxes are a distance from the previous green.

Definitely a great experience. I've played it twice, and would do so again without hesitation. I do detest double bagging, though. My caddie doubled during my last round there and it was a disaster. I wound up standing around most of the round waiting for a club, as the other player was generally on the other side of the fairway. I mentioned this to my caddie at the Old Course in St Andrews, and he gasped, as they would never double bag.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

i've played it twice, in early june and late july ... i like the place a lot, though i've played really, really well each time, so that may be part of the reason ... i think the scenery is great, despite being in the middle of no where ... decently tough test of golf, but as phred said, it's pretty firm/fast in june/july ... the brat at the turn is good enough to stop in just for that ...

Rarely have I been as tired as on a July day, 85*, under the sun all day and standing on the tee at 18. 620 yard par 5 from the green tees, the club house looks as big as something you would see from an airplane window. Even when the last putt drops in the cup the club house porch looks to be a mile away. And yet, despite a little sun burn and not much giddy-up left in the gait, we start planning our next trip. That's a good golf course.

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Got to play there last summer and enjoyed my self. Took a caddie which I did not do at whistling or blackwolf and it made a difference for me with the lines off the tee. My group had 2 guys who have played it more then 10 times so it was nice to be able to see proper shots on the course and it was great fun. Was even through 13 holes and the rain delay KILLED ME finished with a 78 but still was great fun. But like you said, the walk was a bit tough at times. If you gave me the option of the Wisconsin course don't think i would pick it over Whistling or Mammoth dunes but it is a nice course. The views may not be there which is what sets Whistling apart and the length of it being one of its main challenges is tough. But overall a great place and really enjoy the bar and the staff were great.

I wonder if it Erin takes a little bit longer to get out of the winter gate. I've gone mid summer and it was in phenomenal shape. I also went right after the US Open and thought it would have been pretty beaten up but it wasn't at all.

It is hard for me to pick a favorite course, but Erin always comes to mind as a top pick. I could play there every day. I also loved the feeling of being away from everything.

• Like 1

those early spring pictures of Erin hills doesn’t do it any justice. One of my favorite golf courses in the world.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I would certainly chalk the conditions up to the time of year, especially with the lingering winter that we have had. Having played it in June myself, the conditions were as good as any course I’ve played. The natural routing is fantastic, and for as much as people mention that it is a tough walk, I found it to be very enjoyable even in mid 90s temps, as you always feel engaged moving from one green to the next tee box. It’s almost like taking a trek across an expansive and rolling property. MUCH more enjoyable and easier than trying to walk courses built (idiotically) without the walking golfer in mind, like the Bull in Sheboygan or even Arcadia (although the South at Arcadia, which I definitely preferred to the original there, was a very enjoyable walk). Well routed courses keep you engaged during your walk, and as a result it simply makes you forget just how much you’ve trekked with a bag of clubs over your shoulder! Our country needs more places like Erin that promote the sport being played as it was intended (although we could certainly use less expensive options!).

Sorry for the soapbox!

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

> @rtraudt said:

> I would certainly chalk the conditions up to the time of year, especially with the lingering winter that we have had. Having played it in June myself, the conditions were as good as any course I’ve played. The natural routing is fantastic, and for as much as people mention that it is a tough walk, I found it to be very enjoyable even in mid 90s temps, as you always feel engaged moving from one green to the next tee box. It’s almost like taking a trek across an expansive and rolling property. MUCH more enjoyable and easier than trying to walk courses built (idiotically) without the walking golfer in mind, like the Bull in Sheboygan or even Arcadia (although the South at Arcadia, which I definitely preferred to the original there, was a very enjoyable walk). Well routed courses keep you engaged during your walk, and as a result it simply makes you forget just how much you’ve trekked with a bag of clubs over your shoulder! Our country needs more places like Erin that promote the sport being played as it was intended (although we could certainly use less expensive options!).

>

>

>

> Sorry for the soapbox!

I loved the walk. I don't walk courses that aren't set up for walking - such as Arcadia. So I don't have a lot of experience with hard walks, but I wouldn't say Erin took much out of me. First time I walked at Streamsong (Blue) was much tougher. But I made the mistake of taking a push cart and with the sand and soft paths that was the "hardest" walk I have had. But we are talking about walking/golf not a 4 hour tennis match or basketball game.

Interesting insight on the walk at Erin Hills vs. Streamsong. I have played and walked both Streamsong Red and Blue (in same day) and I thought Erin Hills was alot tougher. With that being said I played Streamsong 5 years ago so maybe its a sign that I am getting older :)

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> Interesting insight on the walk at Erin Hills vs. Streamsong. I have played and walked both Streamsong Red and Blue (in same day) and I thought Erin Hills was alot tougher. With that being said I played Streamsong 5 years ago so maybe its a sign that I am getting older :)

I think it sounds like the pushcart was what really did him in, but I’ll be there walking 36 in 80-90 temps in 7 days so I’ll be able to compare in similar conditions! No pushcart, just a nice small Sunday bag...

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

> @rtraudt said:

> > @BG5 said:

> > Interesting insight on the walk at Erin Hills vs. Streamsong. I have played and walked both Streamsong Red and Blue (in same day) and I thought Erin Hills was alot tougher. With that being said I played Streamsong 5 years ago so maybe its a sign that I am getting older :)

>

>

> I think it sounds like the pushcart was what really did him in, but I’ll be there walking 36 in 80-90 temps in 7 days so I’ll be able to compare in similar conditions! No pushcart, just a nice small Sunday bag...

>

Big time! Learned a hard lesson not to use a pushcart there. Last time I was there I walked Red and Black in the same day and it wasn't bad.

Erin hills is a much easier and better walk than streamsong blue and red. The routing is superb. Never felt like I’m climbing compared to blue. I think the finishing holes at eh is an easier walk than the finishing holes on blue.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

> @jerebear21 said:

> Erin hills is a much easier and better walk than streamsong blue and red. The routing is superb. Never felt like I’m climbing compared to blue. I think the finishing holes at eh is an easier walk than the finishing holes on blue.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I believe Erin Hills is a significantly more difficult walk. By far the hardest walk of a course that is walking only that I've played. I don't remember Streamsong being a tough walk and I found Erin Hills to be really tough.

Anyone have any experience with walking Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes? I am curious how they stack up against Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, and Streamsong in terms of walking.

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> Anyone have any experience with walking Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes? I am curious how they stack up against Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, and Streamsong in terms of walking.

Tee to green at SV/Mammoth is generally closer than at Erin Hills, and there is less elevation change. SV/Mammoth have rolling hills , but it feels less severe to me than Erin. I don't consider Streamsong a severe walk either. My $.02

> @BG5 said:

> Anyone have any experience with walking Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes? I am curious how they stack up against Erin Hills, Whistling Straits, and Streamsong in terms of walking.

Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes are pretty easy walks. Every time I have played them I have done so without a caddy and carrying my bag. Mammoth is probably a slightly easier walk in terms of extended uphill sections. The 18th at Sand Valley can be a leg burner if you are a little tired by the end of your round as it is a par 5 and uphill the whole way. I don't view them as any harder, or easier, than Whistling Straits (although this is a bit of an unfair comparison because I had a caddy carrying my bag at the Straits). I have yet to play Erin Hills or Streamsong.

Erin Hills is a tougher walk than either Sand Valley or Mammoth Dunes.

A 3 wheel pushcart at Streamsong would be tough. The facility has 2 wheel rickshaws, and they roll pretty easy through the sandy areas with their big wheels.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have not walked that many courses but I will say that the Loop at Forest Dunes was very easy and enjoyable. Doak did a great job having the tee boxes right near the greens and to date its the easiest walk that I have had on any highly ranked courses

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Walked 36 at Erin last Saturday. Phenomenal course. Not an easy walk. Believe I slightly preferred it to Straits, but it’s a toss up. I personally liked the BWR courses but not as much as Erin, Straits, or Irish. Heard great things about the River but there are some wacky holes (par 3 with tree in front of the green... lol). Second favorite location for a golf trip so far (to Bandon).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...