Lucky find in OKC

Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

I was lucky enough to find a set of practically new Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons in a little shop in OKC. These were one of my favorite irons of all time. And now with this set back in the bag, I am a happy golfer! I couldn't believe the condition of these irons... looks like they were never used. They will now be in play as my number 1 set. I'll post pics when I can.

Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
Titleist AVX Golf Ball

Comments

  • Divot2Divot2 Members Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 8:08pm #2
  • DrawBiasDrawBias Oklahoma CityMembers Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

    Great find - congrats!
    I live in OKC, and just curious -- what shop?

    DRIVER: PING G LS Tec - 10.5 w/PING Tour shaft
    FAIRWAY: Cobra KING F6 3W w/Red Tie
    HYBRID: Cobra KING F6 19* w/Red Tie
    IRONS: Callaway Apex CF 16 4-AW w/XP95 (S300)
    WEDGES: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56/13 and 60/10
    PUTTER: Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line
    BALLS:Titleist Pro V1x and Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • huckitchuckithuckitchuckit Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

    Thought you meant you found them at a golf course... in someones car... in a golf bag.

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @DrawBias said:
    Great find - congrats!
    I live in OKC, and just curious -- what shop?

    "Strictly Golf"

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @huckitchuckit said:
    Thought you meant you found them at a golf course... in someones car... in a golf bag.

    No, although someone came in and tried to sell some PXGs they found that way...the police took care of that!

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

    @Bboland72 said:

    @DrawBias said:
    Great find - congrats!
    I live in OKC, and just curious -- what shop?

    "Strictly Golf

    Im in okc as well, never heard of that place, will have to check it out

  • pingman33pingman33 titleist33 Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

    @Red4282 said:

    @Bboland72 said:

    @DrawBias said:
    Great find - congrats!
    I live in OKC, and just curious -- what shop?

    "Strictly Golf

    Im in okc as well, never heard of that place, will have to check it out

    I believe its a really small shop right across from Lake Hefner golf course.

    Bag 1 Bag 2
    Cobra LTD Driver Titleist TS 2 Driver
    Cobra LTD 3-4 wood Titleist Ts 2 fw
    Cobra F6 Baffler Titleist 917 5 wd
    Cobra 3 Utility Titleist TMB 4-gw
    Cobra King Forged CB Black 4-gw Titleist SM7 Black 54m, 58m
    Cobra King Wedges 54,58 Scotty Cameron
    Scotty Cameron
  • TheMarvelousOneTheMarvelousOne Not droppin' out, I'm moving on... ClubWRX Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

    Never heard of that place. I'm in Tulsa but now I'm curious!

    PING G400 LST 9.5* - Fujikara Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0
    Mizuno MP-33 - 2-PW - DG S300
    Vokey SM6 - Jet Black - 52*, 56*, 60*
    Custom SC Newport TeI3

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    They are a small Shop, but friendly and helpful as can be. They take trade ins as well since it is a used club store. Pretty good selection though. Mostly higher end stuff.

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    Funny...their business card says "Strictly Golf" but I believe it is actually called "Strictly Used Golf"

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm assuming you got the Apex shafts. What did you pay for the set, 3-E?

  • Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

    @pingman33 said:

    @Red4282 said:

    @Bboland72 said:

    @DrawBias said:
    Great find - congrats!
    I live in OKC, and just curious -- what shop?

    "Strictly Golf

    Im in okc as well, never heard of that place, will have to check it out

    I believe its a really small shop right across from Lake Hefner golf course.

    Oh i have been there! Nice guy who runs it. They have a lot of mizuno stuff and really try to push it. I believe he told me any thing i wanted to test i could take to the hefner range and try it out before i buy it, which was pretty cool.

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @Tommyj said:
    I'm assuming you got the Apex shafts. What did you pay for the set, 3-E?

    $120 for 3-E, and yes with the APEX shafts...which I actually wanted anyway.

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • tylerrhynetylerrhyne Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Stop blathering about it on the internet, and get some pictures up, so we can all be jealous. :)
    Nice find, and nice that you went right ahead and bought them without a second thought.
    Apex 4 shafts? I didn't like the Apex 3s, but the Apex 4s are really nice.

    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

    Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

    Great find! Now lets see some of those photos!

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @No_Catchy_Nickname said:
    Stop blathering about it on the internet, and get some pictures up, so we can all be jealous. :)
    Nice find, and nice that you went right ahead and bought them without a second thought.
    Apex 4 shafts? I didn't like the Apex 3s, but the Apex 4s are really nice.

    They are 3's, but that's what I use

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Well they look OK... :)

    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

    Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • zedzed Members Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

    Yep, barely used as the red paint in the number tends to deteriorate quickly.

    Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
    Titleist 915D2 16.5 deg
    Srixon Tour Hybrid 19 deg
    Srixon H65 22 deg
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
    Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
    Lajosi DD201 Long Neck Carbon Steel
  • eleven bravoeleven bravo Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

    Sweet find! Congratulations.

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited Aug 16, 2019 12:27am #23

    @zed said:
    Yep, barely used as the red paint in the number tends to deteriorate quickly.

    well they are 20 years old, but still looking fresh! I am changing the grips to midsize velvets though...so they will lose some points.

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Ill give you 90 in a week if you get bored

    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @cardoustie said:
    Ill give you 90 in a week if you get bored

    your on....but don't hold your breath!

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bboland72 said:

    @zed said:
    Yep, barely used as the red paint in the number tends to deteriorate quickly.

    well they are 20 years old, but still looking fresh! I am changing the grips to midsize velvets though...so they will lose some points.

    If they have the OEM grips, save them if you can ( use air compressor and a little solvent ).
    They can bring a few bucks.

  • Bboland72Bboland72 Ocala, FLMembers Posts: 19 ✭✭

    @wkuo3 said:

    @Bboland72 said:

    @zed said:
    Yep, barely used as the red paint in the number tends to deteriorate quickly.

    well they are 20 years old, but still looking fresh! I am changing the grips to midsize velvets though...so they will lose some points.

    If they have the OEM grips, save them if you can ( use air compressor and a little solvent ).
    They can bring a few bucks.

    They were pretty much dry rotted, came apart in pieces...small pieces!

    Titleist 907D1 driver 9.5* Reg Aldila VS Prototype
    Cobra S3 5 wood Reg Fujikura Blur
    Orlimar Tri-Metal Plus 3 hybrid 19* RazorWire Reg
    Ben Hogan Apex Plus 4-PW Hogan Apex 3
    Cleveland CG14,12,10 Wedge Flex (52,54,60)
    Ping Scottsdale Black Chrome 34" Putter
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips
    Titleist AVX Golf Ball

  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bboland72 said:

    @wkuo3 said:

    @Bboland72 said:

    @zed said:
    Yep, barely used as the red paint in the number tends to deteriorate quickly.

    well they are 20 years old, but still looking fresh! I am changing the grips to midsize velvets though...so they will lose some points.

    If they have the OEM grips, save them if you can ( use air compressor and a little solvent ).
    They can bring a few bucks.

    They were pretty much dry rotted, came apart in pieces...small pieces!

    In that case, I would also check the epoxy or go ahead to re-epoxy the whole set before you put them in play/ While changing grips also check the inside of the shaft for sign of rust for safety.
    Nice pretty set !

  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Love to find some BH Grind or the 1965 Personal...thats the one Mizuno Engineers used their cadcam gear to ahh Create New Design 40 years later

    2019 August

    Titleist 909d2
    Tee 16.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16
     
    Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

    Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

    Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!
    Ping B60 backup!

  • bripgall3265bripgall3265 DenverMembers Posts: 53 ✭✭

    I game my 87 Apex Red Lines when I am feeling frisky.

    Nike Dymo SR8T FIT 10.5*
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro U 3 17* (set at 16)
    Callaway Rogue 4H 20

    Ping i-20 orange dot 5-9
    Vokey SM-4 Raw 46-08
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 50-04
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 54-14
    Vokey SM-5 Raw M Grind 58-04
    Odyssey Protype #6 340g / Gripmaster Signature Tour Black Grip
    Titleist Pro v1 (2017)
    Lamkin UTx .580 Blue

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file