***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Rangefinder for Older Players?

Bluefan75 ·  
Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members  4149WRX Points: 387Posts: 4,149 Titanium Tees

One of the regular playing partners is 70 years old, but still hits a pretty good ball. I have noted to him that a rangefinder, and thus knowing the exact distance will be worth a few shots to him. His problem is that, he has never really been able to close one eye while looking out the other. He tried to use my Bushnell 1500, but just could not get a view.

While the first thought would be a GPS, he knows the course so well it really doesn't give much information.

Is anyone aware of an option where one could get rangefinder precision without needing to put it right to your eye like usual?

Posted:

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto Members  4062WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7Posts: 4,062 Titanium Tees

Simply put your hand over your outside eye - not difficult.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members  2363WRX Points: 242Posts: 2,363 Platinum Tees

there are range finder binoculars but they are pricey

Posted:
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members  4149WRX Points: 387Posts: 4,149 Titanium Tees

cristphoto, it actually is difficult for him. Saw him trying it. Hs 70. Stuff gets tough sometimes at that age.
    puresurfr, thanks for the info. Apparently binoculars have always been difficult for him, so not sure those are an option.

Posted:
  • swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members  377WRX Points: 101Handicap: 3Posts: 377 Greens

That is exactly what will change the market if someone can get laser accuracy without having to hold and Aim a device.....!

Posted:

On -, @swgolfer said:

That is exactly what will change the market if someone can get laser accuracy without having to hold and Aim a device.....!

You have to wonder if you can't do something similar to a digital camera with a picture of what you are looking at and then just locking on that way.

I'll take a 2% royalty for the idea :)

Posted:
  • swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members  377WRX Points: 101Handicap: 3Posts: 377 Greens

I'm sure the concept is in trail somewhere but probably many challenges grabbing a little flag without everything else and the technology would be cost prohibitive.....Laser prices continue to drop as quality Laser technology is available to everyone now and I doubt that many people would pay $700 for new technology when Lasers work great at $200 and less and headed lower.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

On -, @Bluefan75 said:

One of the regular playing partners is 70 years old, but still hits a pretty good ball. I have noted to him that a rangefinder, and thus knowing the exact distance will be worth a few shots to him. His problem is that, he has never really been able to close one eye while looking out the other. He tried to use my Bushnell 1500, but just could not get a view.

While the first thought would be a GPS, he knows the course so well it really doesn't give much information.

Is anyone aware of an option where one could get rangefinder precision without needing to put it right to your eye like usual?

I find that interesting. Being a shooter much of my younger years and hunter, we keep both eyes open when looking through the scope, and do that with my rangefinder and binoculars. My Bushnell Pro 1600 tournament and some other rangefinders have extendable and adjustable oculars'. It may have more to do with the dominant eye. That shouldn't be a limitation.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX  1161WRX Points: 170Handicap: 11Posts: 1,161 ClubWRX
    Posted:
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    Ping i E1 irons, 5-W, Proj. X 5.5, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips
    Mizuno 52/8-degree and Vokey SM7 58/12-degree wedges
    Putter: Ping Zing 2, 36"
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4062WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7Posts: 4,062 Titanium Tees

On -, @Bluefan75 said:

cristphoto, it actually is difficult for him. Saw him trying it. Hs 70. Stuff gets tough sometimes at that age.
    puresurfr, thanks for the info. Apparently binoculars have always been difficult for him, so not sure those are an option.

Then he should probably use a GPS.

Posted:

Multiple GPS options at low cost, Golf Buddy Voice 2 is the easiest to use just turn on and go.....no scrolling and the Phantom works well too just have to toggle it to the course or hole.

Posted:
  • northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members  4143WRX Points: 240Posts: 4,143 Titanium Tees

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

On -, @Bluefan75 said:

I find that interesting. Being a shooter much of my younger years and hunter, we keep both eyes open when looking through the scope, and do that with my rangefinder and binoculars. My Bushnell Pro 1600 tournament and some other rangefinders have extendable and adjustable oculars'. It may have more to do with the dominant eye. That shouldn't be a limitation.

Another shooter here. I was taught both eyes open and I do it with my range finder as well.

Posted:
    If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Advertisement
  • YoungJediYoungJedi Ottertail, MnMembers  1561WRX Points: 328Posts: 1,561 Platinum Tees

Not to be snide, but can’t someone else shoot the yardage for him?

I’ve played with plenty of people who don’t own a range finder. I’ve got no problem shooting it for them and telling them.

Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 7 wood, turned to 19° (The SEXWOOD) w/ Fujikura Ventus 8s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 4 hybrid with Accra cs1 m4 hybrid shaft, SST Pure
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    PXG Sugar Daddy 59º w/ KBS C taper 120s
    Logan Olson Retro Muscle Bullet Sole
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • KenRobieKenRobie Members  154WRX Points: 70Posts: 154 Fairways

Easy fix, just make a small blinder for one side of the rangefinder. He can hold the range finder and blinder in the same hand or put some velcro on both the range finder and the blinder. Then he can look through with both eyes open regardless of which is the dominant eye.

Posted:
  • cxxcxx Members  3304WRX Points: 262Posts: 3,304 Titanium Tees

A buddy got one that worked at arm's length. Had a LCD display. Seemed to work fine.

Posted:
  • LAslicerLAslicer Members  75WRX Points: 65Posts: 75 Fairways

I use GPS and play the same course every week. The one I use allows you move the pin cursor anywhere on the green (or anywhere on the course really) to get a distance. My course also uses pin zones so it presets the pin to the middle of whichever zone I choose. Plenty of info you can use with a GPS even on a course you know.

Posted:

On -, @LAslicer said:

I use GPS and play the same course every week. The one I use allows you move the pin cursor anywhere on the green (or anywhere on the course really) to get a distance. My course also uses pin zones so it presets the pin to the middle of whichever zone I choose. Plenty of info you can use with a GPS even on a course you know.

Which GPS do you use?

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @KenRobie said:

Easy fix, just make a small blinder for one side of the rangefinder. He can hold the range finder and blinder in the same hand or put some velcro on both the range finder and the blinder. Then he can look through with both eyes open regardless of which is the dominant eye.

Couldn't the golfer simply close one eye? It's hard to understand how this is such a problem. Maybe I'm missing something.

Posted:
  • LAslicerLAslicer Members  75WRX Points: 65Posts: 75 Fairways

On -, @Bluefan75 said:

On -, @LAslicer said:

Which GPS do you use?

skycaddie SX500

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.