Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Rangefinder for Older Players?

Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

One of the regular playing partners is 70 years old, but still hits a pretty good ball. I have noted to him that a rangefinder, and thus knowing the exact distance will be worth a few shots to him. His problem is that, he has never really been able to close one eye while looking out the other. He tried to use my Bushnell 1500, but just could not get a view.

While the first thought would be a GPS, he knows the course so well it really doesn't give much information.

Is anyone aware of an option where one could get rangefinder precision without needing to put it right to your eye like usual?

Comments

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Simply put your hand over your outside eye - not difficult.

• puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

there are range finder binoculars but they are pricey

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

cristphoto, it actually is difficult for him. Saw him trying it. Hs 70. Stuff gets tough sometimes at that age.
    puresurfr, thanks for the info. Apparently binoculars have always been difficult for him, so not sure those are an option.

• swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 343 ✭✭✭✭

That is exactly what will change the market if someone can get laser accuracy without having to hold and Aim a device.....!

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@swgolfer said:
    That is exactly what will change the market if someone can get laser accuracy without having to hold and Aim a device.....!

You have to wonder if you can't do something similar to a digital camera with a picture of what you are looking at and then just locking on that way.

I'll take a 2% royalty for the idea :)

I'm sure the concept is in trail somewhere but probably many challenges grabbing a little flag without everything else and the technology would be cost prohibitive.....Laser prices continue to drop as quality Laser technology is available to everyone now and I doubt that many people would pay $700 for new technology when Lasers work great at $200 and less and headed lower.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2019 5:31pm #8

@Bluefan75 said:
    One of the regular playing partners is 70 years old, but still hits a pretty good ball. I have noted to him that a rangefinder, and thus knowing the exact distance will be worth a few shots to him. His problem is that, he has never really been able to close one eye while looking out the other. He tried to use my Bushnell 1500, but just could not get a view.

While the first thought would be a GPS, he knows the course so well it really doesn't give much information.

Is anyone aware of an option where one could get rangefinder precision without needing to put it right to your eye like usual?

I find that interesting. Being a shooter much of my younger years and hunter, we keep both eyes open when looking through the scope, and do that with my rangefinder and binoculars. My Bushnell Pro 1600 tournament and some other rangefinders have extendable and adjustable oculars'. It may have more to do with the dominant eye. That shouldn't be a limitation.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,106 ClubWRX
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    Redbird 965 irons 5-PW, stiff steel
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10, SM7 58/12 reg graphite
    Putter: Ping Pal 4 BeCu
    Ball: Bridgestone E6 Soft[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bluefan75 said:
    cristphoto, it actually is difficult for him. Saw him trying it. Hs 70. Stuff gets tough sometimes at that age.
    puresurfr, thanks for the info. Apparently binoculars have always been difficult for him, so not sure those are an option.

Then he should probably use a GPS.

Multiple GPS options at low cost, Golf Buddy Voice 2 is the easiest to use just turn on and go.....no scrolling and the Phantom works well too just have to toggle it to the course or hole.

• northgolfnorthgolf Pork Members Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pepperturbo said:

@Bluefan75 said:

I find that interesting. Being a shooter much of my younger years and hunter, we keep both eyes open when looking through the scope, and do that with my rangefinder and binoculars. My Bushnell Pro 1600 tournament and some other rangefinders have extendable and adjustable oculars'. It may have more to do with the dominant eye. That shouldn't be a limitation.

Another shooter here. I was taught both eyes open and I do it with my range finder as well.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead
  • YoungJediYoungJedi Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be snide, but can’t someone else shoot the yardage for him?

I’ve played with plenty of people who don’t own a range finder. I’ve got no problem shooting it for them and telling them.

Ping g410 LST 7° w/ Fujikura Ventus 6s, tipped 1/2”
    Ping g410 LST 13° fairway w/ Fujikura Ventus 7s, tipped 1/2”
    PXG 0311X gen2 DARKNESS 2 iron w/ Tensei pro 70g hybrid S
    PXG 0311x gen1 DARKNESS 4 iron w/ kbs $taper S
    Ping Blueprint 5-pw w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Ping Glide Forged 50° w/ KBS tour limited black C taper 125 s+ SST pure
    Vokey limited Slate Blue sm7 54F/58D w/ DG tour issue s400 SST pure
    Custom Bettinardi BB0 - RJB022885
    Mackenzie Walker bag
  • KenRobieKenRobie Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Easy fix, just make a small blinder for one side of the rangefinder. He can hold the range finder and blinder in the same hand or put some velcro on both the range finder and the blinder. Then he can look through with both eyes open regardless of which is the dominant eye.

• cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A buddy got one that worked at arm's length. Had a LCD display. Seemed to work fine.

• LAslicerLAslicer Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

I use GPS and play the same course every week. The one I use allows you move the pin cursor anywhere on the green (or anywhere on the course really) to get a distance. My course also uses pin zones so it presets the pin to the middle of whichever zone I choose. Plenty of info you can use with a GPS even on a course you know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file