Which vice pro ball is closest to the TP5?

gentles

Looking for feedback from those who have switched from TP5 (not TP5x) to Vice Pro balls. Tossing up between the Pro and Pro Plus...I've read that the Pro is a lower compression, so I'm wondering if the Pro Plus might be a better comparison to even the TP5.

Those who have experience using both, which ball comes closest to matching the feel of the TP5?

I'm ordering a bunch of personalised balls for my wedding as gifts, but will likely have a few dozen left over and want to make sure I'll get some use out of them!

> @gentles said:

> Looking for feedback from those who have switched from TP5 (not TP5x) to Vice Pro balls. Tossing up between the Pro and Pro Plus...I've read that the Pro is a lower compression, so I'm wondering if the Pro Plus might be a better comparison to even the TP5.

>

> Those who have experience using both, which ball comes closest to matching the feel of the TP5?

>

> I'm ordering a bunch of personalised balls for my wedding as gifts, but will likely have a few dozen left over and want to make sure I'll get some use out of them!

tried both pro and pro plus last year. Ill never buy them again. I think its a good example of you get what you pay for. The cover looks like its a faded white color and they scuffed rather easily. The Pro Plus was supposed to be the better ball for me ( I played a TP5x or B X last year ) and it was considerably shorter. I had more success with the Pro.

If its a ball you're looking to make your permanent gamer then id say you can do way better...... but as for the wedding gift idea it will fit perfectly for that

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

I can't tell you which one is closer to the TP5, but I had a very different experience with them than the above poster. I've played Pro and Pro+ in both neon lime and white, and completely disagree with the cover looking faded and scuffing easily. I also had no distance problems or control problems, they were right there with the ProV1s I was previously playing. I did find the Pro worked better for me than the Pro+. Not perfect balls by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe a half step behind the full price premium balls.

I've since switched to Snells, which are definitely right in the same class as the full price premium balls. I get better distance and greenside control with them than I ever did with the ProV1s. A bit more expensive than the Vice (about $33 per dozen personalized if you buy at least 12 vs. $31 per dozen for the Vice), and a bit more work to get personalized, but they're better balls. You'd probably be looking to figure out whether you'd want the MTB-X or the MTB Black in this case.

I wouldn’t buy a Vice ball ever again. Out of the dozen balls I played, 9 of had significant cover issues. 5 had scuffs and 4 of them had actual cuts in the cover. No thin shots, no cart paths or trees and my wedges were significantly broken in. It looks like the cover is painted on. I took a few photos because I haven’t seen cover damage like this sine the Balata days.

. h9mhlb69p78y.jpeg

zdg3b087ksp9.jpeg

b9indqxy40jm.jpeg

lol sorry I didn't really answer the original question!!! the vice pro is more like the TP5.... just not as good

as for the post above me thats exactly what I saw when I played them!! one dozen each of the pro and pro + lasted me a month. and I played maybe 6 rounds total

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

The Vice Pro is the closest in compression but as others have stated the Pro and Pro Plus are god awful from a durability stand point. Personally I had much better luck on the durability stand point with the Pro Soft. But it has a Matte finish which I'm not sure how that would effect your personalization for the wedding. The Pro Soft is the only Vice ball I would even touch again though. The other two are hot garbage.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

> @SecondandGoal said:

> I can't tell you which one is closer to the TP5, but I had a very different experience with them than the above poster. I've played Pro and Pro+ in both neon lime and white, and completely disagree with the cover looking faded and scuffing easily. I also had no distance problems or control problems, they were right there with the ProV1s I was previously playing. I did find the Pro worked better for me than the Pro+. Not perfect balls by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe a half step behind the full price premium balls.

>

> I've since switched to Snells, which are definitely right in the same class as the full price premium balls. I get better distance and greenside control with them than I ever did with the ProV1s. A bit more expensive than the Vice (about $33 per dozen personalized if you buy at least 12 vs. $31 per dozen for the Vice), and a bit more work to get personalized, but they're better balls. You'd probably be looking to figure out whether you'd want the MTB-X or the MTB Black in this case.

I would have to agree that the Vice Pro is very comparable to most tour level balls. I played it for a few months and then also switched back to the Snell because it was, as this posted stated, a step above all the other direct-to-consumer balls. In fact, I would rank it right up there with any premium tour level balls. I have played both the MTB Black and the MTB-X and prefer the X because of the slightly longer distance off the driver and higher spin on approach shots. Love the feel of the X off the putter.

> @Negncic said:

> I wouldn’t buy a Vice ball ever again. Out of the dozen balls I played, 9 of had significant cover issues. 5 had scuffs and 4 of them had actual cuts in the cover. No thin shots, no cart paths or trees and my wedges were significantly broken in. It looks like the cover is painted on. I took a few photos because I haven’t seen cover damage like this sine the Balata days.

> . h9mhlb69p78y.jpeg

> zdg3b087ksp9.jpeg

> b9indqxy40jm.jpeg

>

Interesting. I just played the back nine at my course and I did hit the cart path at least once. Admittedly I did have any full wedge shot opportunities. Only pitches, greenside bunker, and a couple of chips. Ball looks ready to go another round. No durability issues for me on the Pro Plus.

Also according to the site that shall not be named, the compression of the TP5 (compression 100.1) is closest to the Pro Plus ( compression 102.6). The Vice Pro has higher compression (106.2)

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

> @sshadow2 said:

> > @Negncic said:

> > I wouldn’t buy a Vice ball ever again. Out of the dozen balls I played, 9 of had significant cover issues. 5 had scuffs and 4 of them had actual cuts in the cover. No thin shots, no cart paths or trees and my wedges were significantly broken in. It looks like the cover is painted on. I took a few photos because I haven’t seen cover damage like this sine the Balata days.

> > . h9mhlb69p78y.jpeg

> > zdg3b087ksp9.jpeg

> > b9indqxy40jm.jpeg

> >

>

> Interesting. I just played the back nine at my course and I did hit the cart path at least once. Admittedly I did have any full wedge shot opportunities. Only pitches, greenside bunker, and a couple of chips. Ball looks ready to go another round. No durability issues for me on the Pro Plus.

>

> Also according to the site that shall not be named, the compression of the TP5 (compression 100.1) is closest to the Pro Plus ( compression 102.6). The Vice Pro has higher compression (106.2)

Maybe they fixed the issues or there was a bad batch or 2. Their customer service is substandard at best as well.

• 2 years later...

I've been playing the latest version of the Pro Plus. Both of the guys I play with are always looking for balls on the course, and the Vice balls I've been playing they found. I'm almost 75 and with my swing speed the Pro Plus shouldn't work for me, but I have found it longer than the Snell MTB Black and I can play several rounds using the same ball, and I play every weekday, weather permitting. About the only reason a ball comes out of play is if I lose it. It is a little firm to the feel, but other than that I like it. My debate is when I go to purchase balls do I stick with the Pro Plus, go with the Vice Pro, or switch entirely over to the Maxfli Tour?

2 hours ago, skh said:

I realize this is an old post but in 2022, I'm not having any of the issues with the cover on the Vice Pro. I only have a swing speed of 94-96 though. It seems to work well for me.

They changed the cover in the current model and it’s much more durable.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

47 minutes ago, phil75070 said:

I've been playing the latest version of the Pro Plus. Both of the guys I play with are always looking for balls on the course, and the Vice balls I've been playing they found. I'm almost 75 and with my swing speed the Pro Plus shouldn't work for me, but I have found it longer than the Snell MTB Black and I can play several rounds using the same ball, and I play every weekday, weather permitting. About the only reason a ball comes out of play is if I lose it. It is a little firm to the feel, but other than that I like it. My debate is when I go to purchase balls do I stick with the Pro Plus, go with the Vice Pro, or switch entirely over to the Maxfli Tour?

They are both really good balls and are as good as most on the market. Don’t think you can go wrong with either of them.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip