ISO Callaway XR16 13.5* with UST Mamiya Recoil F1 Shaft

Hardrain

Based on a number of posts I have read here, I would like to get one of these for my 9yo daughter. It will be her first OEM driver. However, I am having trouble finding one with the lightest shaft, the F1 ladies shaft. Anyone have one they would like to pass on, or advice on where to acquire?

I accidentally purchased one from Callaway pre-owned with the Recoil F2 shaft (senior flex). It is 46 grams so still plenty light but I would like to get her in the softest shaft possible. May keep the F2 if I don't find an F1.

Thanks!

I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> @Hardrain said:

> I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

>

> I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

>

> I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Hardrain said:

> > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> >

> > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> >

> > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

>

> Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Hardrain said:

> > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > >

> > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > >

> > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> >

> > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

>

> Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @Hardrain said:

> > > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > > >

> > > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > > >

> > > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> > >

> > > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> >

> > Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

>

> Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

>

> I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

Then why are people recommending different OEM drivers? If you want the ball to go far you use the appropriate equipment... if not just tie a brick to a stick.

> @Hardrain said:

> I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

>

> I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

>

> I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

How tall, weight and driver swing speed of your junior?

Cobra junior drivers are a good option. Shortest shaft is 39" at 46g. Couple that with a prior year model F8 Junior driver and you could have a good setup assuming your junior is at least 51" (preferably closer to 54" tall) with a swing speed in the mid-to-upper 60's. There's really not going to be much difference between a Cobra F6,F7,F8,F9 or the newer SZ-Extreme (due Jan 2020) drivers for juniors. I believe you can find the Cobra F8 junior driver on eBay for around $100-120 brand new.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > @Hardrain said:

> > > > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > > > >

> > > > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> > > >

> > > > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> > >

> > > Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

> >

> > Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

> >

> > I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

>

> Then why are people recommending different OEM drivers? If you want the ball to go far you use the appropriate equipment... if not just tie a brick to a stick.

Curious what you mean by appropriate equipment? Are you saying that OEM stuff properly adjusted for kids is better than the Cobra junior stuff?

If I went with an F8, what would you recommend for FW and hybrid?

My daughter is getting close to 57" and I am basing the lengths of the clubs off of the Flynn specs for their 57" height sets. I will likely purchase a 57" US Kids TS or Flynn iron set too. I want to get the whole thing pieced together for her to use in the spring/summer, but would like to get the woods for x-mas gift. She currently uses a 54" US Kids UL set but will outgrow it soon.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > @Hardrain said:

> > > > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > > > >

> > > > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> > > >

> > > > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> > >

> > > Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

> >

> > Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

> >

> > I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

>

> Then why are people recommending different OEM drivers? If you want the ball to go far you use the appropriate equipment... if not just tie a brick to a stick.

Can't speak for these other "people who are recommending different OEM drivers", but I'm recommending Cobra junior drivers because they are lighter than their adult counterparts, and thus makes it easier for juniors to swing them.

> @Hardrain said:

> My daughter is getting close to 57" and I am basing the lengths of the clubs off of the Flynn specs for their 57" height sets. I will likely purchase a 57" US Kids TS or Flynn iron set too. I want to get the whole thing pieced together for her to use in the spring/summer, but would like to get the woods for x-mas gift. She currently uses a 54" US Kids UL set but will outgrow it soon.

At 57", she would definitely be sized well for a Cobra driver with 39" or even possibly 41" shaft. One good thing about Cobra is they provide one (1) free shaft upgrade with the purchase of a new club (even if that new club is purchased off of eBay). The Cobra shaft is branded for them but underneath it is a Fujikura Fuel shaft. Specs: https://www.cobragolf.com/shaft-only-junior

Have you had your junior swing the XR16 with the Recoil F2 shaft? Is the shaft too long?

Overall, Cobra has done a lot with making junior specific drivers for the market. Basically, from what I have learned, is that a Cobra Junior driver (such as an F7, F8 or F9) is the exact same as a Cobra Ladies (such as F7, F8, F9) but just in different paint scheme. These Juniors/Ladies clubs tend to be just a bit lighter ("x" number of grams) than the men's version. Having said all of that, it should be noted that multitudes of juniors of all ages also play Ping, Titleist and Taylormade drivers.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Hardrain said:

>

> > My daughter is getting close to 57" and I am basing the lengths of the clubs off of the Flynn specs for their 57" height sets. I will likely purchase a 57" US Kids TS or Flynn iron set too. I want to get the whole thing pieced together for her to use in the spring/summer, but would like to get the woods for x-mas gift. She currently uses a 54" US Kids UL set but will outgrow it soon.

>

> At 57", she would definitely be sized well for a Cobra driver with 39" or even possibly 41" shaft. One good thing about Cobra is they provide one (1) free shaft upgrade with the purchase of a new club (even if that new club is purchased off of eBay). The Cobra shaft is branded for them but underneath it is a Fujikura Fuel shaft. Specs: https://www.cobragolf.com/shaft-only-junior

>

> Have you had your junior swing the XR16 with the Recoil F2 shaft? Is the shaft too long?

>

> Overall, Cobra has done a lot with making junior specific drivers for the market. Basically, from what I have learned, is that a Cobra Junior driver (such as an F7, F8 or F9) is the exact same as a Cobra Ladies (such as F7, F8, F9) but just in different paint scheme. These Juniors/Ladies clubs tend to be just a bit lighter ("x" number of grams) than the men's version. Having said all of that, it should be noted that multitudes of juniors of all ages also play Ping, Titleist and Taylormade drivers.

>

>

She hasn't hit the XR16 with the Recoil F2 as it is still at a standard length. Plan is to cut it down but then we are stuck in the decision....

> @Hardrain said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > @Hardrain said:

> > > > > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> > > >

> > > > Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

> > >

> > > Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

> > >

> > > I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

> >

> > Then why are people recommending different OEM drivers? If you want the ball to go far you use the appropriate equipment... if not just tie a brick to a stick.

>

> Curious what you mean by appropriate equipment? Are you saying that OEM stuff properly adjusted for kids is better than the Cobra junior stuff?

>

> If I went with an F8, what would you recommend for FW and hybrid?

>

> My daughter is getting close to 57" and I am basing the lengths of the clubs off of the Flynn specs for their 57" height sets. I will likely purchase a 57" US Kids TS or Flynn iron set too. I want to get the whole thing pieced together for her to use in the spring/summer, but would like to get the woods for x-mas gift. She currently uses a 54" US Kids UL set but will outgrow it soon.

You have to go back to my original statement of a lighter club doesn't always produce the best results. Most of the people on here think that a lighter club means that the junior can swing it faster so the ball will go further and that is not necessarily the case.

• Like 1

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > @Hardrain said:

> > > > > > I was hoping to buy a driver with the shaft fully assembled, but it looks like from everyone's responses that might be tough to find?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I need to outfit a driver, 5 wood, and hybrid, so I guess I should be on the lookout for a few recoil/bassara shafts. The 5 wood and hybrid currently have bassara e-series 52 shafts, but those are heavier than I would prefer.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I am definitely new to the junior clubmaking game so I appreciate all your thoughts and advice!

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you looked into Cobra junior drivers? It already comes with a lighter head and shaft, plus newer technology.

> > > >

> > > > Was just texting another WRX'er about this. A lighter head ≠ faster ball speed.

> > >

> > > Strange... Neither OP nor I mentioned anything about faster ball speed. :)

> > >

> > > I think the OP just wants something light enough for his girl to swing?

> >

> > Then why are people recommending different OEM drivers? If you want the ball to go far you use the appropriate equipment... if not just tie a brick to a stick.

>

> Can't speak for these other "people who are recommending different OEM drivers", but I'm recommending Cobra junior drivers because they are lighter than their adult counterparts, and thus makes it easier for juniors to swing them.

Cobra junior driver isn’t anything more than marketing it’s an adult head with the lightest weight combination they make with a junior shaft. It’s the same head as an adult or ladies head just different weight setup abs loft settings. It’s still a great driver but no different than someone buying epic flash changing the weight of the sliding weights.

Great drivers for many but still just an oem

Agree 100%, and this is a good thing and hence why I recommend Cobra junior drivers. An OEM driver, that is lighter head, higher loft, shorter shaft and smaller grip, plus an additional shaft when the kids grow, not to mention it's couple hundred bills cheaper. You can just pick one up straight off the rack, ready to swing.

Alternative would be to find an OEM head(without trying it out), replace the weight(if replaceable), find a light weight shaft(like OP is doing), go cut it(spend $) and then re-grip it(spend more $). Which at the end of the day, might not have been worth the time, effort and money compared to the former.

Going back to the OP question, this is what I would do if I were in his shoes. Cut the senior shaft to 43", have her choke down 2", which should put her hands around middle of the grip. Have her hit some balls on the range and you should see a pattern. If she can hit them fairly straight, keep it. If she constantly push-fades her shots, save the senior shaft till she gets to 60", and go look for the ladies flex.