Any info on the Callaway Mavrik Irons???

dupaloop3611

Both my local pro and the Callaway liaison at GG says Mavrik irons will get a late January release. I would expect the release to come at the big Jan. 21 Demo Day at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando.
Designed to replace the Rogues, from the Mavrik pix (thanks @dupaloop3611!) it looks like there's a Mavrik Pro, a Mavrik Max (replace X?) and a regular (?) Mavrik.
I would expect Callaway to bring some Mavrik demo irons to the St. Louis Golf Expo set for Feb. 7-9 in St. Charles.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My eye it looks like Pro, Max, and Max W, maybe. Would make sense given the naming schemes of previous irons...just don't understand why you need a Max and a Max W. I know one is Women's but most OEMs don't change the loft at all and just have a different colour. Seems weird to make a super specific ladies model with a different name.

These also appear to be following the Big Bertha line of cast, hollow-body, urethane microsphere infused designs. It makes you wonder why they even bother with the BB anymore, honestly, or conversely, why they would bother with a Max when the BB is going to fall in that line anyways.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

@WristySwing , it looks like Mavrik will absorb the old X20-XR-Rogue niche. On the Callaway home page, Epic 19 and Apex 19 offerings are listed in the main pop-up, with Rogues, Big Bertha and Apex MB and XForged offerings one layer down.
I phoned Callaway today. The rep said that Big Bertha is still in production, but the Rogue and Rogue X are not - they're in clearout. Sorry, I forgot to ask about the Apex MB or the X.Forged.
{Actual new iron model names: Mavrik Pro, Mavrik, Mavrik Max}
So, in irons we end up with Epic at top, Apex in competitive middle and BB in the recreational middle, and Mavrik at sub-$1000 (hopefully) a set.
On women's irons: The base Rogue irons featured a separate ladies women's model with its own set of heads and shaft offerings. The women's loft grid appear with the men's in the Rogue online site. Loft comparisons:
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/179/T87RU2CQEYXA.png[/img]Callaway was a leader circa 2007 in re-designing clubs specifically for women. The highly popular Gem boxed set was one result.

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

I can’t give you a lot of specs but I hit them today with the project X catalyst 65 graphite shaft I hit the Regular and the Max, did not care for Max. I do not hit clubs well in a bay off of a mat, I have to be on real grass, but after I hit these I ordered the 4-A, plus there’s an additional gap wedge. I loved the feel of the graphite shafts. @ $125 A club in graphite it’s not as bad as it could‘ve been, I’ve got the older CF 16 Apex these really felt really good, I’m 65 and I was getting like 175 out of the seven iron, 185 with a real solid strike.

Did you get to try the Pro?

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

I thought the Rogue Pros were excellent irons. The lofts were fine based on flight. I would not want a 41 degree pitching wedge. That’a a 9 iron at least and with a 14 club limit, what it would mean is adding another wedge and dropping the 18 degree 4 iron. It’s all the same goal — clubs to go a certain distance, so it is just changing the number on the sole and you’ll still need something at the 45-46 degree spot.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I did not try the pro version, yeah I’m not crazy over there strong loft but I’m hoping that with the graphite shaft in there getting older it might help me keep my distance is good, I’m about 140-145 with my CF16’s. But I do have to shake my head why in the world they made two gap ledges probably to make up for that strong loft what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

I hit the regular Mavrik in a fitting last week. A few thoughts.

1) Neutral on the looks overall, but the look at setup is very inviting. It almost feels like the face cradles the ball, which gives a clean look at a good strike. The feel was also great - very soft with excellent feedback. More on that later.

2) I'm a reasonably fast swinger - have been hitting my old TaylorMade RBZ 7i about 160-165 total with a slight fade. Usual miss is an over-fade to the right. My first three swings with the Mavrik 7i (XP95 shaft) were pretty gentle 82 MPH cuts, but my ball speeds were consistently 115+ (vs. 100 average) with 1000 lower RPMs spin rate, and SIGNIFICANTLY more height despite the stronger lofts. My launch angles were actually higher despite the club itself being a couple of degrees down. Most importantly (perhaps?) - I averaged 178 years with this Mavrik 7i, and the one I hit thin and down on the heel (felt it instantly) ended up carrying 173 and rolling out to almost 190. The other two landed and stopped within a yard of each other right around 175, and rolled to 185. The three shots were all within the circle in a pin seeker contest, despite dramatically different contact.

3) Next I hit the Mavrik 7I with an upcharge Modus 105 Stiff shaft. While my dispersion wasn't quite as strong left to right, my lauches, spins, and distances were VERY consistent with the heavier shaft. Spin slightly up, but still 800 RPMs below my RBZ, which helped the over-fade. But the story for me with Mavrik with the heavier shaft was distance and height. On an 83 MPH swing, I saw 122 MPH ball speed, with a 185 carry and a 195 total distance. My averages were 175 carry / 182 total on 5 shots, but they still launched a degree higher than my RBZs despite the stronger starting lofts.

In summary, the Mavrik 7i when properly fitted to me, was far more forgiving, and consistently 15-20 yards longer than my old irons. The nay-sayers on these clubs will tell me I'm just playing a 5i with a "7" stamped on it, given the longer lengths and stronger lofts. Here's why that isn't true..

1) The Mavrik 7i still controls like a 7i, stops like a 7i, and gains height like a 7i - it just goes 20 yards farther. If I can consistently hit greens from 185 instead of 165, that is a huge win.

2) The Mavrik 5i will be the lowest iron in my bag going forward, and I was hitting it all of 230yds in the Trackman. That will also cause me to (finally) pull my hybrids - and probably even my 3W out for good. I HATE hitting all of those clubs, so that another huge win. I might carry my old 17 degree GAPR for those really long par 5s when I don't get all of my driver. But when driver + 5i is getting 500+ yards, it it will really simplify my game.

Hoping to pick these up on Friday!

• Like 2

Won't be there this year. Let me know what you think of Mavrik Pro. I'm sure Dave will have some demos.

I did see some clubs when he visited my club last November but I forgot what they looked llke.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I picked up my mavrik regulars yesterday 4-A, Gap, plus +2 jaws wedges 56 and 60, yes for some reason there’s a second Gap, but I have not had a chance to hit them due to being busy, but they look good with those graphite shafts. Great review above, my friends want to keep their 15 year old blades, and knock technology go right ahead I say.

Well 3 days with mavrik regular irons with catalyst graphite shafts, distance, happy, feel, good..... what I’m finding not to my liking/eyes, thick top line, off set, and I think the shafts just area working out so I turned them in after hitting the pro version in the bay, off mat, which I don’t care for, with 120 stiff elevate shafts which are up charge, don’t get it, the 105 no charge, 120 was nice hitting..... 7 iron 160+ I’m not complaining, then hit new non pro version Of apex, $50 more a club than mavrik, same shaft, did not like, so getting the pro mavriks, setup so much better to my eye.

Also pulled trigger on new Mizuno ST200 driver, very forgiving, great distance looks feel, the shaft it comes with which is not a made for, it same shaft if you bought from Mitsubishi , I want It in my M5 as well. Driver sells for $400, so looking for same shaft for M5, my back up, $315 on eBay but one guy had 3 for 119 each so scooped up.

Got to try out Mavrik irons at Galaxy (testers arrived last week).

Interesting point: The MavMAX irons have more loft than the base Mavriks.

Mavrik Stock Steel: Elevate 95 stock shafts come in a 96 gr. Reg and 98 gr. Stiff.MavMAX Stock Steel: KBS Max 80 at 86 gr. Reg. and 90 gr. Stiff.Stock graphite for both models is PX Catalyst 55/65/75.I did hit the 7i for the Mavrik Pro with Elevate 105 shaft. Got fairly low 120-yard carry (consistent) with 13-yard rollout - not what you want from a short iron.

If I switch irons I'll go to graphite shafts. The PX Catalyst 55 gram (Light) was just too light in both Marvik and MAX - talk about overswing.

Mavrik gave best results with 65 gr. - although a bit feathery / while MavMAX gave best results with 75 gr. GG pro said I would need to do more launch monitor comparison to see which would be best. Some slightly heavier graphites ... Recoil... should get into mix also.

At the Golf Expo this weekend, the Callaway rep said you just have to test things out to see if the Mavrik or the MavMAX head would work best, and also test out different shafts. He said a combination of clubhead speed and angle of attack would be key factors.

Ψ  Backups:

I got Stiff, 120 vss tour shafts , this is what is actually on their website for true temper

The X-Flex weighs 122 grams, stiff weighs 117 grams, and regular flex is 112 grams. 

With the pro version if I set up open with the 7-iron, and then slightly open the club face for a cut shot that was right down the middle 150 and if I got it just right I was getting between 160 and 170 even a bad shot it was rolling out to 160 myself just my opinion I do not consider a 7-iron a short iron to me short irons are nine and down, I could be wrong but I believe most considers 6 7 and eight amid iron, that’s why I’ve never Consider my seven iron Pinseeker

I have the Max irons with recoil zt9. That shaft brings the ball flight down somewhat. That works well with the Max head because it launches so high. With this shaft I was hitting near standard Mavrik distances, but with much greater forgiveness and accuracy. No mistake about it, the Max head is far more forgiving than the standard head with great feel. As one previous poster stated, there does not appear to be a place for a higher priced Big Bertha iron.