San Francisco Courses

Hey, y'all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for courses in the SF area. I am planning on trying to get on at TPC Harding Park and possibly out at Half Moon Bay. I saw Ocean Course images and video and it just looks like my type of course. I am going to be travelling the SF in late June with my wife (she doesn't play, just takes pictures and enjoys the ride) so I know the pricing is going to go up to peak season rates. Let me know if there is possibly a hidden gem or if these are the top two public courses out there. Harding should play fairly tough since it will be about a month after the PGA but I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks,

-MerryTex

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

How far are you willing to drive?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Other than what you've already mentioned, I'll suggest the course at Wente Vinyards. It's been a while since I was there but I enjoyed it.

If you can swing the drive I would skip the Ocean Course at HMB and go to Pasatiempo. HMB is a resort and the courses are, IMO, all sizzle and no substance. I actually prefer the Old Course at HMB over the Ocean. That said, I had my first and only hole in one at the Ocean Course (#7). Even with that I've not gone back when I'm in the area. Not saying it's bad at all, but to a certain degree just forgettable. If you are not from CA, sure the cliffs and views of the Pacific are stunning but once you've seen one you've seen them all.

Also, and I may get hammered on this, but I don' think Harding is anything special. If you want to save a few $$$ play Presidio - I'm not saying Presidio is better than Harding but for the cost and what you are going to get (assuming you can even get on Harding with PGA coming) the Presidio gives you a better value. Plus it's closer to downtown SF.

There are no hidden gems in the area other than Pasatiempo (in Santa Cruz area). Yea, it's a bit out of the way but well worth the trip. If you can get out on SFGC or Cal Club, well then you're talking about gems but I wouldn't consider them hidden by any means, just not accessible by mere mortals....

If you want sizzle and ocean views with cliffs then play Ocean Course at HMB. If you want solid old school golf courses where you forced to hit different types of shots try either Pasa or Presidio.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, gents. I did give Pasatiempo a look and may try it.

Titleist Pro V1

I get wanting to play Harding. Fun to play where the pros play and the last half dozen holes are really good. Hopefully they will have returned the fairways to more normal width. Play it and have fun :-)

But IMHO Presidio is poor value for out-of-towners, it's bonkers they charge up to $150 for something I'd struggle to pick over a dozen or more options. It has some interesting holes, but it also has a bunch of repetitive up/down hill shots. I'd rather play Sharp, even when it's at its beat up worst.

With a non-playing missus along, I think HMB Ocean is a good choice. They ocean views are there on every hole, bar a couple at the turn. It's no world-beater, but the finishing 3 holes make for a quality close. I'm never one to drag the other half onto a golf course, but if yours is coming and you have two rounds to play, I think your initial intuition is fine.

If you were coming on your own or with your mates to play, then I'd say Corica South, Poppy Ridge, Baylands (if dry), Callippe, Wente, Indian Valley, Metro, Monarch (if in good shape) would be better options to go along with Harding.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Pasatiempo is definitely worth it, but it's a bit of a drive. Worth it from a golf perspective though.

It truly depends on how far you are willing to drive but I don't think Pasa is 1 hour away from most of SF. And honestly, I'll get roasted here, Pasa is not worth the 350 to play it. it has some great holes and a lot of forgettable ones too. the range is a joke. I wouldn't pay 350 to play it again on any day. that is a lot of money and I would drive another hour to the peninsula and play anything on the water there for similar pricing or pay the extra 200 to play pebble. I just don't get the fascination with Pasa but to each their own.

HMB ocean was a lot of fun. I would say all in all, Pasa has a better set of 9 core holes but nothing better than 16-18 at HMB. greens were rock hard when I was there. no driving range so that is a bad deal, unless the pro shop didn't inform us of the range. I really enjoyed HMB but we stayed there and were with good friends so that always helps.

I think the two I would play again that is about the same drive, plus or minus a few 15 minutes are two courses in Napa.

Napa eagle vines and chardonnay courses are worth what I paid a few years back. Play in and out of the vineyards. it is unique. I liked it and so did our group. It is not 'pebble beach world class' but it cost us like 100 each and I'd pay that and play the other and still be 150 ahead of Pasa and others.

In any event, I am glad I played Pasa once, but will never ever pay 350 again to play it. I would play elsewhere. I rate it a 150-175$ course. Fun and history ridden but without the AMc connection.... Well again, to each his own...

Without a driving a good distance, Chuck Corica South should be on the list. Depending on where you'll be staying in the city, but its about a 30 minute drive without traffic. About 10 minutes of that is going through the city of Alameda.

The Ocean Course at HMB is nice, but I still prefer the Old Course. The holes are more memorable, especially 17 and 18, although I almost took out a group of people after thinning my approach over the green. 18 has that Pebble Beach feel to it with great views.

honestly, it all depends on what type of golf you're looking for - classic iconic courses, courses within the vineyards, courses on the ocean, etc.

pasatiempo is a great classic course with history (mackenzie had a house on the course which you will see). its a tough track and gets a lot of play from prestigious events. there is a reason its rated the 16th best public course in the USA. but its def not cheap. you can check their website and they often have discounted rates but the discount isn't great. also, its gonna take you over 1 hour to drive there.

half moon bay is one of my favorites. if you're looking for a course on the ocean, this is it. the ocean course has ocean views from almost every hole whereas the old course is probably a better layout but only 2 (but memorable) holes on the ocean. i personally love the ocean course and its well within the 1 hour time limit.

corica park is probably the course i've been recommending the most recently. close to oakland airport so a quick drive from SF. rees jones designed course so layout is solid. conditions have been good everytime i've played it. and it only costs like $80. really the best bang for your buck in the area.

the city courses IMO are all overrated. Harding will be a shitshow in June because of the PGA championship that would have happened only a month prior. but it might be in actually good condition. all the other courses either are not good or are overpriced or both.

if you want to play in vineyards, i would skip eagle vines or chardonnay (both are meh at best) and head west to Wente. the wine is meh but the course is great, a former Korn Ferry stop. some interesting holes on the course and in June, should be super hot (think low 90s) even when its "cold" in SF.

my last recommendation would be bodega harbor. barely within the 1 hour mark but a cool course right on the water north of the city. once again, not many chances to play oceanside courses so this is a treat. a lot of people love to hate on this course but i love it. plus you can drive down the PCH after the round and get some great oysters at hog island or stop by cowgirl creamery for some amazing cheese.

feel free to reach out to me - i used to live in SF and still visit 3-4 times a year (was there last week for 9 days) and love food/booze/golf so definitely have some good recos.

Thank you very much for the response! I definitely have a few options now.

Titleist Pro V1

Bodega Harbour is one of the worst courses I've played - especially among those that are still open - in California, IMHO. 16 & 17 are neat enough holes around the marsh, but otherwise it's just silly hole after silly hole carved through what should be people's back yards and the side of a hill not meant for golf holes.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I think Half Moon Bay is the best option for the wife to take pictures because it's on the ocean. If she takes the car while you golf there's also a picturesque lighthouse 20 miles south of the course.

I will recommend Presidio if you can get any kind of a discount. The non-local rate is a bit steep for what it is, but the course is not that bad. I've played it with Olympic club members who said it was their go-to away from home.

For everything else you need to drive a ways. I would normally recommend a course like Callippe Preserve, but it's not a course worth driving 70 minutes to get to. (Next to Wente, as it happens.) Wente is a fantastic golf course, but you must take a cart; it may be the most unwalkable course in existence. I know, I've walked it.

There are some other great courses in the south bay, (Cinnabar, Coyote Creek tournament) but that's starting to get out of range as well.

Corica South is much closer, and very good... But having finally played it post-redesign, it did not live up to the hype for me.

Pasatiempo is a long drive to pay 3 bills to play an amazing golf course. And if you do go that far, Monterey will call you...

Gents,

I really would like to thank each of you that took the time to reach out and respond to my call. So far, I am thinking of HMB Ocean or Old, Presidio, and maybe Harding. I only say Harding due to the fact that it is hosting a major. I think if I can't squeeze on there, I'll go out to Presidio. I have a feeling it may be a bit crazy with people trying to get on out at Harding because a lot of people may be lured there with the same idea in mind. Yocha looks enticing as well!

Thanks again,

Anthony

Titleist Pro V1

If you don't mind stumping up the $15 (in the grand scheme of things I reckon that's not a prob :-) reservation fee you can book Harding weeks in advance and secure a time before you get here.

For instance today, I (well anyone) could grab one of three times for Sat March 28th, 08:10 or earlier. Just keep an eye out in May when your dates are within reach and you'll be grand.

F.T.

It was mentioned in post #7. And agreed, it's a serious refurb away from being able to be recommended to out-of-towners. You can talk about pedigree and cheekbones all you want, but playing in the mud and on crabgrass isn't a lot of fun.

F.T.

How tough would it be to get on at Spyglass or Spanish Bay? I'd assume easier than Pebble.

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 months later...

If you play HMB, there are trails around the course if your wife would rather walk around. My wife does that while I play and then we meet up on the patio by the fire pit. I think they have a bagpiper if you stay until 5 or 6pm. HMB is a cool town. There are some good places to each ie Miramar Beach, HMB Brewing company. Play twilight save money cocktail by fire pits,then eat then watch the sunset. Your wife will love it.