***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Does anyone know the standard tip trim specs for a Taylormade SIM driver?

boyce89976 ·  
boyce89976boyce89976 Members  98WRX Points: 67Posts: 98 Fairways

Just picked up a GD Tour AD DI for my SIM and I need to know their standard trim.

Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• MH2MH2 Grande Prairie ABMembers  542WRX Points: 96Handicap: 7Posts: 542 Golden Tee

They tip 1” standard

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • boyce89976boyce89976 Members  98WRX Points: 67Posts: 98 Fairways

Thanks! So that's on the driver? Just want to clarify because GD's website suggests 0" for a standard bore driver, 1" for a 3 wood.

Posted:
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members  3446WRX Points: 232Posts: 3,446 Titanium Tees

I'd be asking GD or TM.

Posted:
  • drumdude96drumdude96 Members  1003WRX Points: 158Posts: 1,003 Platinum Tees

I'd go with Graphite Design recommended trimming since they designed and manufactured the shaft and know much more about it than the people at TM who insist on ruining countless shafts by over tipping. That would be zero tip trimming required.

Posted:
    Bag 1                                                                                              Bag 2
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 9° Diamana W Series 60 S                    Ping G400 Max 10.5 UST Attas 4U 6TS
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° 3W Diamana D+ 70 S                     Ping G25 3W PWR S
    Callaway Big Bertha OS 19° Hybrid KBS Steel Hybrid S                         Ping G25 5W Steelfiber ss85 S
    Titleist 915H 24° and 27° KBS Steel Hybrid X                                       Ping G25 23°, 27°. and 31° Hybrids KBS Tour V 110
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 6-GW KBS Tour V 125 ss 2x                             Ping G25 irons 7-UW KBS Tour V 120
    Callaway MD3 54° W Grind bent to 55° DG S400                                  Ping Glide 54° SS KBS 610 125 S+
    Callaway MD3 60° S Grind bent to 59° DG S400                                   Ping Glide 58° TS KBS 610 125 S+
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7s                                                                 Ping Sigma Tyne H
  • MH2MH2 Grande Prairie ABMembers  542WRX Points: 96Handicap: 7Posts: 542 Golden Tee

Sorry I thought you were asking what TM tips their driver shafts. When I order I usually order them 1” soft from TM.

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

Follow the shaft manufacturer's recommendations. They know best, not TM's. In fact, forget what TM does. Their policy makes no sense and is not based on any commonly accepted club building practices for trimming shafts. More likely a marketing thing to help lower spin without any concern for how it changes the feel of the shaft.

Well, unless of course you choose that shaft based on demo'ing one that was also tipped 1". How you came to choose that shaft is really more important than either of the recommendations.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys! I was actually fit for that shaft in the first Callaway Epic. So, I guess the question I should have asked is what is Callaway's standard tipping practice for an Epic driver?

Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

Posted:
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members  3446WRX Points: 232Posts: 3,446 Titanium Tees

Try measuring the graphics to tip distance?

Posted:
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members  7399WRX Points: 206Handicap: 3.8Posts: 7,399 Titanium Tees

If the shaft manufacturer recommends 0" for standard bore, and you're going into an adapter, you should tip 1/2" for most all comapanies adapters. Your shaft won't go as deep into an adapter as a standard bore hosel with no adapter. Those are so few and far between anymore though, seems the shaft manufcaturers are pretty laze and could easily provide the standard bore vs. adapter suggestion.

Ultimately it is up to you. If you are concerned about feeling harsh, you could try 0" trim in an adapter and leave the shaft 1/2" longer, try it. Then if you like it, butt trim the 1/2". If you want it stouter, pull, tip trim, reinsert.

Posted:
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ p9003TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon Z745 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Advertisement
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  25593WRX Points: 1,961Posts: 25,593 Titanium Tees

Sorry but I have to disagree with the first part. A driver with an adapter is no different than any other standard bore head. The bore depths of the adapters are perfectly normal for standard bore designs.

The only two companies that tip are TM and Titleist.

Titleist only tips 1/2" for some shafts now (and the list of which ones seems to keep getting smaller and smaller for every release). They started the practice only to help their previous customers transition from the older bore through design to the std bore designs of the adjustable models. So they were intentionally trying to get the shafts to play stiffer than designed so they would be closer to how they played in the previous models.

TM's practice of tipping 1" is just crazy and not worth paying any attention to.

No other OEM tips for their adjustable drivers.

Posted:
  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members  572WRX Points: 229Handicap: 6.4Posts: 572 Golden Tee

hard to say really. TM has always been know to tip drivers 1".... Even on TrottieGolf's Instagram page from 7/29, later in the video he says " drivers tipped the standard 1", 3 wood 1.5" and 5 wood 2" "

Posted:

TM SIM Max 9* ..Ventus Black 60x
    TM SIM 3w 16* ..Ventus Blue 70x / Accra Tour Z RPG 372
    Cobra Forged Tec U 2i .. SteelFiber 110x
    New Level 623 4 - P ..KBS C-Taper 120
    Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50,56,60 ..KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SWAG Savage Tour Proto

Not quite 'always.' There is clear evidence based on tip to graphics measurements from members that made custom orders that it started with the SDLR release.

Posted:
  • trileriantrilerian Members  655WRX Points: 161Handicap: 13.1Posts: 655 Golden Tee

This is interesting to learn. I was thinking of trying the hzrdus smoke black in 60g in my driver instead of the 70g shaft I have in it now, and if I liked it I was going to put my current shaft in my 5w. But now I have no idea if I should trim the tip before putting in my 5w, and should I avoid the shafts that are sold with the TM adapter for the driver?

Also, if you order a driver from TM and say no tipping, do they still tip it 1" because that is their standard?

Posted:

Driver: TM M6

Fairway(s): TM 2017 M2 5W

Hybrid(s): TM Sim Max 4H

Irons: Callaway Apex 19 4-AW

Wedge(s): Vokey 54s, 60l

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

• D-TRAIND-TRAIN IowaMembers  94WRX Points: 102Posts: 94 Fairways

If you order from the customize page @ TM website you can select -0.5” or -1.0” tipping. -1” is no tipping.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees

Hence the reason why resale on TM tipped shafts is terrible.

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.