Scottland Golf Questions

Is trying to get on Old Course really worth it?
My fiance and I are honeymooning in the UK (Scotland, Ireland, London) at the end of May and beginning of June of 09. She expressed interest in playing the Old Course, and after looking online, it seems like you are applying for a job or something to get on this course, lol.

I guess my question is, is it really worth it? And is it even possibly to late at this point? They make you choose an additional course to play in order to even get considered for the Old Course, so which of the others would you recommend? New Course, Jubilee, Eden, Strathtyrum, Balgove, or Castle course?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me correctly I think they have walk on slots available. To answer your question Heck yes it would be worth it, that's where it all began. I know if I was financially able I'd camp out for a week or more to be able to golf on that historical track.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

Also remember you are pretty high on the equator. I teed off at 7:00pm and played a full round in June. We finished around 1030pm and were walking back to our B&B when we walked past a pub that is one block south of the first tee... the locals stopped us brought us in and bought us a pint, the only catch... we had to tell them about our great round.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

The old course is well worth it... the new course was uneventful. Also like people have said, you can get off of the waiting list. We were there for a week playing all the courses in the area and everyday we would hurry back to play Old course. We only had reservation for one round.

BULLPEN

Jared,

That usually said by people who have never walked the hallow grounds... it is the birthplace. It is natural and unforgiving, it is golf at its best.

And I has played hundreds of Golf courses all over the world.

BULLPEN

Jared,

That usually said by people who have never walked the hallow grounds... it is the birthplace. It is natural and unforgiving, it is golf at its best.

And I has played hundreds of Golf courses all over the world.

Ive played it. Twice. Its a field with flag sticks. IMO. My point was there are around 50 courses I would put in front of it. And I has also played hundreds of golf courses.

Everyone please ignore this yahoo.

Playing links golf is lost on some people.

Playing The Old Course is worth the hassle. Go with the early que, worked for me and for thousands of others. Who knows?

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

Everyone please ignore this yahoo.

Playing links golf is lost on some people.

Playing The Old Course is worth the hassle. Go with the early que, worked for me and for thousands of others. Who knows?

A yahoo to be ignored is one who does not value others rights to their own opinions. As stated if your there it IS worth it. I however prefer Turnberry to the Old Course views are unreal whereas if you didn't know the old course was well the old course you would be like ummm why am I paying this much to play here? There are things that are worth the price for the label or name if you will and in my opinion it is something you do once to say you have done it if your of the golfing breed, which I would assume we all are to a degree correct?

Another very over priced course that you pay for the name is ahem....pebble. Flame me for that too.

Most definitely worth it.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Well, I got an email reply from my application and they said they no longer have any reservations for 2009, but i can always do the ballot thing when I am there, and maybe get on that way.

Has anybody had any luck using their ballot system?

TBB,

My understanding is that about 50% of available tee times for the Old Course are put in the daily ballot. Since you struck out on the advance reservation system, and this is your honeymoon we are talking about, you can get a tee time by staying at the Old Course Hotel for a large amount of cash.

If your there you should play it. However, at the end of the day its all about the prestige versus the course. I have played probably 50 golf courses that in my opinion I would put in front of it.

Cue flame fest.

I agree with jared. Played it twice and not really sold - there ARE better courses. I get the whole "home of golf" aura thing, I know about the "subtle nuances", I even got to pose on the Swilken Bridge - but as a course - pretty boring. For the experience,(ie. tell all your buddies you've played it) yes. For the money, no.

Carnoustie is a much better bet on the east side, IMHO. If you want to play St.Andrews, the New Course is a much better test.

Cue uber flame fest.

Well, I got an email reply from my application and they said they no longer have any reservations for 2009, but i can always do the ballot thing when I am there, and maybe get on that way.

Has anybody had any luck using their ballot system?

I think there may be agents you can go through as well but obviously that adds more $$ to the equation.

Yes indeed Op please ignore the ignorant and quite silly ramblings of Mr Jared!

Sorry Jared you are obviously an imbecile and did not endeavor to fully enjoy and embrace the whole St Andrews experience.

A field with flags on????????? But yes my friend you are indeed correct!! This was once grazing land for cattle and sheep. But that is not what the Old Course is. No my friends this is holy ground. (Even if the sheep were there first!)

The Old course is the easiest course in the world to play!......................................

And also the toughest in the world to play!! Fact!

Given a gentle zephyr of a wind and a hearty ray of sunshine and a convivial walk on the links is enjoyable! Not tooo tricky if indeed you can strike the ball well. But you better stick it to the pin my friends or you have a full putter swing to contend with once your on the green baize!

But if the weather starts blawin with awwww its might! Then my good pals you have a game on your hands! So many bunkers ready to eat the wayward biff from the tee or fairway! And we build them deep here!!! Just ask Mr. Nakajima

But the experience.....majestic!!....I never tire of it.

From the moment you arrive at the first tee with the Royal and Ancient Clubhouse imposing itself upon your good self , the famous Starters Box (although not the original anymore!) gleaming in the hopeful sunlight.

The golf shops.....Auchterlonies, David Lowe's, What was Jim Farmers Shop (Professional to the R&A)! And all in front of you the most famous Golf Course in the World......the birthplace.....the history.....the ringing of past Open Championships, Walker Cups, Scottish Amateurs, European Tour Competitions both men and ladies alike still bounding off the buildings surrounding the links.

And now it's your turn...you have put your name in the ballot the day before, your tee time has been secured, your adventure about to start!

And then you can feel the hairs rising from the back of your neck, as the p.a. system in the box is switched on.

This is it....your names have been called to the tee. Surnames only People! Even royalty are called forward to the hallowed turf by surname. Then the nod from the Starter and the famous "Play away please, Gentlemen!"

Nerves set in........even seasoned, famous golfers and celebrities have whiffled a drive off this most revered of 1st holes. My advice? Don't hit an iron off this tee! terribly bad form! you just don't do it at the 1st at the Old.

And as you pick up your tee and hand the Largest wood back to your LOCAL caddy, nay your Sherpa for the days expedition,

the nerves die away as you stroll down the historic avenue of gowf! Take a moment to appreciate that you are.......

home!

OP you should be able to get a time. Go practice at the range, visit the British Golf Museum!

The New or Jubilee are the best of the rest (The Castle course is good but very very undulating greens! Great though!)

My advice is go to the Himalaya Putting Green near the smaller clubhouse next to the Jubilee and New course and hone your links putting skills! Smashing fun!! Great at any time (How many 100's of hours I have spent there! So so so good!)

Be nice to the locals and get involved! Drink with them! Tip your caddy well!!! Find out their favorite tipple as you walk round and go grab them a bottle later on (oh and thank the starter afterwards! make sure you get him a bottle too!) The food is cracking in the town too! Remember.........this is your time! Don't waste it......wallow in it!!!!

All the best! and happy gowfing!!

As for you Mr. Jared..........well i forgive you. It must have been a momentary lapse in the old brain dpt to have said such things about the Old Lady!

Remember young man there are no bad golf courses.

Take a tip out of Mr Gary Players book and say "It was the best course of it's kind I have ever played."

And maybe one day your opinion might change. Even a certain Mr Bobby Jones didn't like the Old Course the first time he played it. But we all know what happened there.............

On Mr. Jones final trip to the golfing mecca he was awarded the honor of a freeman of the town. As the townspeople of the auld grey city of St Andrews sang the old song of "Will ye no come back again!" there were teer's in Jone's eyes.

Maybe that day..... you too will be reaching for the Kleenex as you bid the oldest of friends goodbye.

Yes indeed Op please ignore the ignorant and quite silly ramblings of Mr Jared!

Sorry Jared you are obviously an imbecile and did not endeavor to fully enjoy and embrace the whole St Andrews experience.

A field with flags on????????? But yes my friend you are indeed correct!! This was once grazing land for cattle and sheep. But that is not what the Old Course is. No my friends this is holy ground. (Even if the sheep were there first!)

The Old course is the easiest course in the world to play!......................................

And also the toughest in the world to play!! Fact!

Given a gentle zephyr of a wind and a hearty ray of sunshine and a convivial walk on the links is enjoyable! Not tooo tricky if indeed you can strike the ball well. But you better stick it to the pin my friends or you have a full putter swing to contend with once your on the green baize!

But if the weather starts blawin with awwww its might! Then my good pals you have a game on your hands! So many bunkers ready to eat the wayward biff from the tee or fairway! And we build them deep here!!! Just ask Mr. Nakajima

But the experience.....majestic!!....I never tire of it.

From the moment you arrive at the first tee with the Royal and Ancient Clubhouse imposing itself upon your good self , the famous Starters Box (although not the original anymore!) gleaming in the hopeful sunlight.

The golf shops.....Auchterlonies, David Lowe's, What was Jim Farmers Shop (Professional to the R&A)! And all in front of you the most famous Golf Course in the World......the birthplace.....the history.....the ringing of past Open Championships, Walker Cups, Scottish Amateurs, European Tour Competitions both men and ladies alike still bounding off the buildings surrounding the links.

And now it's your turn...you have put your name in the ballot the day before, your tee time has been secured, your adventure about to start!

And then you can feel the hairs rising from the back of your neck, as the p.a. system in the box is switched on.

This is it....your names have been called to the tee. Surnames only People! Even royalty are called forward to the hallowed turf by surname. Then the nod from the Starter and the famous "Play away please, Gentlemen!"

Nerves set in........even seasoned, famous golfers and celebrities have whiffled a drive off this most revered of 1st holes. My advice? Don't hit an iron off this tee! terribly bad form! you just don't do it at the 1st at the Old.

And as you pick up your tee and hand the Largest wood back to your LOCAL caddy, nay your Sherpa for the days expedition,

the nerves die away as you stroll down the historic avenue of gowf! Take a moment to appreciate that you are.......

home!

OP you should be able to get a time. Go practice at the range, visit the British Golf Museum!

The New or Jubilee are the best of the rest (The Castle course is good but very very undulating greens! Great though!)

My advice is go to the Himalaya Putting Green near the smaller clubhouse next to the Jubilee and New course and hone your links putting skills! Smashing fun!! Great at any time (How many 100's of hours I have spent there! So so so good!)

Be nice to the locals and get involved! Drink with them! Tip your caddy well!!! Find out their favorite tipple as you walk round and go grab them a bottle later on (oh and thank the starter afterwards! make sure you get him a bottle too!) The food is cracking in the town too! Remember.........this is your time! Don't waste it......wallow in it!!!!

All the best! and happy gowfing!!

As for you Mr. Jared..........well i forgive you. It must have been a momentary lapse in the old brain dpt to have said such things about the Old Lady!

Remember young man there are no bad golf courses.

Take a tip out of Mr Gary Players book and say "It was the best course of it's kind I have ever played."

And maybe one day your opinion might change. Even a certain Mr Bobby Jones didn't like the Old Course the first time he played it. But we all know what happened there.............

On Mr. Jones final trip to the golfing mecca he was awarded the honor of a freeman of the town. As the townspeople of the auld grey city of St Andrews sang the old song of "Will ye no come back again!" there were teer's in Jone's eyes.

Maybe that day..... you too will be reaching for the Kleenex as you bid the oldest of friends goodbye.

An imbecile? No. I just prefer to get a golf course for my money versus a story.

Wasn't it Sam Snead, who upon seeing TOC from a train thought that TOC was grazing land and hated the course? Didn't Bobby Jones walk off the course at the 11th hole the first time he played it, having nothing good to say about the course?

How many years and rounds later did Jones become the beloved second son of St. Andrews, learning to appreciate TOC, the town and the nuances of play on the course.

From much of what I have read, it takes several rounds, in all kinds of weather and seasons, to fully appreciate TOC. George Peper's book about living in the town and playing the course also states as much. TOC apparently grows on you, unwraps itself like a great mystery.

It seems that TOC is hard to appreciate after just 1,2,3 or so rounds. Too much nuance, and yes, there might be better courses, especially upon first blush. Don't be too hard on someone who doesn't think that TOC is the be all and end all of golf, because they are not alone in their feelings, certainly if they have only played the course a couple of times. Even some of the greats have disliked the course.

And no, I have not played any golf in Europe, so I can't formulate my own opinion of TOC.

As someone who awoke at 3:00 a.m., got in line at the starter's shack (I was 8th in line, BTW) and then had the good fortune of being invited to join a threesome of members at 8:30 a.m. on a gloriously sunny, warm, and windless day three summers ago, I can simply say, "Do it." It was one of the great experiences of my life.

well, forget any name-calling stuff as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I am sure Jared enjoys playing as much as any of us.

The fact that he cares not for the history of teh game is his choice. While many of us were struck by the story the chat above lay upon us (I, for one, almost had tear in my eyes and wanting to book the next flight to Scotland), not everyone shares this love of history and sharing the ground the greats have been on.

Jared seems would be content to play something a little more modern in style or something that has views and such. We all have our own pleasures and things that please one do not please another.

However, it seems to me that I would relish the opportunity to play and have dinner/beer after with scotgolfer1977 as i am sure we would both regale each other with stories the whole night through (by the way, I will be just up the way in Aberdeen Jan-Mar if you like winter golf).

To each his own and Jared, my best wishes in finding your own hallowed ground. I will personally cherish and have tears in my eyes throughout a round at The Old Course.

Oh and whoever said PB was not worth it...wow...I have played there and it was amazing! Perfect conditions, amazing challenges, breathtaking scenery, good windy conditions and a chance to walk where greats have been before. But again, that is because I l;ove history but int eh case of PB, I also enjoyed every single aspect of the course. Ok, so it was even better that I did not have to pay the green fee and only paid for the caddy. Nevertheless, amazing experience.

Merry Christmas to all!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

well, forget any name-calling stuff as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I am sure Jared enjoys playing as much as any of us.

The fact that he cares not for the history of teh game is his choice. While many of us were struck by the story the chat above lay upon us (I, for one, almost had tear in my eyes and wanting to book the next flight to Scotland), not everyone shares this love of history and sharing the ground the greats have been on.

Jared seems would be content to play something a little more modern in style or something that has views and such. We all have our own pleasures and things that please one do not please another.

However, it seems to me that I would relish the opportunity to play and have dinner/beer after with scotgolfer1977 as i am sure we would both regale each other with stories the whole night through (by the way, I will be just up the way in Aberdeen Jan-Mar if you like winter golf).

To each his own and Jared, my best wishes in finding your own hallowed ground. I will personally cherish and have tears in my eyes throughout a round at The Old Course.

Oh and whoever said PB was not worth it...wow...I have played there and it was amazing! Perfect conditions, amazing challenges, breathtaking scenery, good windy conditions and a chance to walk where greats have been before. But again, that is because I l;ove history but int eh case of PB, I also enjoyed every single aspect of the course. Ok, so it was even better that I did not have to pay the green fee and only paid for the caddy. Nevertheless, amazing experience.

Merry Christmas to all!

It is so funny how society works today. I said I did not care for the course. Your conclusion...I do not care about the history of the game. That is like saying someone who does not support Obama has to be a racist. Quite a leap. I am spoiled. I played golf my freshman year at MPC in monterey. I played them all, including Cypress. I also got to play olympic club, san fransisco CC, Pasatiempo the list goes on and on. I also now play Torrey Pines weekly at a rate that would make you throw up. Now as a young professional finally giving dreams of professional golf, I have to pay to play. Especially in this economy everything to me is an opportunity cost. To me the history of golf simply comes down to enjoying playing. If it was all about the prestige of the game and doing what was best for the game people these courses would not cost in the upwards of 300 dollars a flipping round. Don't forget that. So if they are going to make it about money (which they have) so will I. So the only tears I will have will be my credit card screaming in pain at the thought of the prices they take advantage of you for.

You do have a point in these prestigious courses taking advantage of your pocket book.

I paid $190 to play Torrey Pines a couple years back as a Florida resident while a local paid $30. The course was in no better shape than my local muni, but hey.. it was Torrey Pines.. and they know it!

and yet he continues to amuse. Oh well.

I used to live in SF Bay Area and played every course you mentioned above. You say you played Toprrey for rates that would make me puke? Hmmm..I played Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy, Cypress, Olympic, Spanish Bay and Torrey all for free. There are others as well but who really cares what I paid. Those were opportunities for me and I was grateful for them. I have paid for some expensive coruse as well and while they do not become my daily play places, I enjoy once in a while.

Good for you to still enjoy the history of the game and my apologies if it seemed I was making such a leap. My intent was not meant that you do not care (yes, upon reading it, it does seem that is what I meant since it reads that way) but rather more about me playing a placve like that and thinking, my whole time around, about the history (maybe my round would have been better if I concentrated on my own game - lol). I enjoy remember what was done on that hole and from where and by whom. To ME, that was an incredible thing. I loved every second.

I know what you say about the prices and as said above, that certainly reduces the amount i play those coruses, I would still do it once (at least) just to have done it and enjoyed it.

Enjoy Torrey! What an amazing track! I am not a pro by any means and 6900 yards from the whites...wow! Tough but awesome.

I re-iterate.....Marry Christmas to all!!!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur