Callaway Tour I(s) versus Taylor Made Penta

Hnixon12

Thoughts from those who have played both?
I have both these balls in my bag, besides chipping and wedging around with both, not sure which one I like...
Just want some feedback from those who have played both balls, and which one you like better. I know both balls are new, so there aren't too many who have played both extensively...any help would be appreciated.
Driver spin, wedge spin, etc.

thanks guys

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried the Penta ball yet. I'll pick up a sleeve and try it out either today or tomorrow. I love the Callaway Tour i(s). The spin, durability and feel is exactly what I was looking for. It has lots of spin with the short irons and wedges. I have more control with this ball then with the Pro V1 or the tour i. I have a topic where I talk about and have pictures of the durability and spin. Here [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/334282-callaway-tour-is-and-iz-durability-with-pictures/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/334282-callaway-tour-is-and-iz-durability-with-pictures/[/url] .

I(s)= Cover Shreded a lot, low spin off driver, soft feel on green. more backspin on green.

Penta= High ball flight, COVER VERY DURABLE even with boxed grooves. soft feel with irons, wedges, and on putter. Not a lot of spin on green.

Overall I was very pleased with the Penta. For me, higher ball flight is great. The cover was also very DURABLE! I ended up playing the rest of the round with 1 penta ball after shredding 2 Callaway Balls. For you guys who are paying $40+ for dozens of golf balls, you will not be happy with how the ball shreds.

[quote name='Slapjax7s ' date='27 January 2010 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1264602649' post='2207155']
I(s)= Cover Shreded a lot, low spin off driver, soft feel on green. more backspin on green.

Penta= High ball flight, COVER VERY DURABLE even with boxed grooves. soft feel with irons, wedges, and on putter. Not a lot of spin on green.

Overall I was very pleased with the Penta. For me, higher ball flight is great. The cover was also very DURABLE! I ended up playing the rest of the round with 1 penta ball after shredding 2 Callaway Balls. For you guys who are paying $40+ for dozens of golf balls, you will not be happy with how the ball shreds.
[/quote]

I play the Callaway X-Forged Wedges with the MD grooves and I found the Tour i(s) to be very durable but the Tour i(z) was not that durable.

I plan to try the new Callaway golf ball(s) in the coming weeks. I played the Tour ix as my primary ball last year and loved it. I've been playing the Penta for the last few weeks. I thought the cover was durable. It seems to be fairly long off the tee, though sometimes it would balloon a little for me and drop a little short. It spins way too much for me on the greens. For this reason I will not be playing the Penta. I played 9 holes yesterday and had the Penta spin back as much as 22' on the green. I had several shot that landed just past the pin or very near the hole, but I was left with a 6' to 18' putt because of the spin back. The same shot last year with the Tour ix would sit within a foot or two of where it landed.

I might get a sleeve of the Tour i(s) just to see what it's like, but I'll be hoping that the Tour i(z) will be very similar to the Tour ix. If it is, it'll be the golf ball in my bag for the year. The only exception is that I toyed with the Bridgestone 330 a little a couple of months ago and that has a chance of making it in the bag. We'll see in the coming month or so once the weather is warmer more consistently. I played yesterday and it was 70 degrees. This weekend it'll be upper 40's.

Hey Eatsleepbreathegolf,

I have tested out both the tour i(s) as well as the Taylormade Penta and below are my comparisons:

Driver Spin - I found the TaylorMade Penta to spin LESS off the driver compared to the Tour i(s). Also, the Penta was 5 yards longer off the driver but no big deal. Trajectory - I found both balls to pretty similar in trajectory off both the driver and the irons.

Iron spin - The tour i(s) blew the Penta out in the iron spin category. I was backing balls up big time with the tour i(s). With the Penta it had decent spin... similar to what you expect from the TP Red LDP.

In the end, the Tour i(s) was a better all around golf ball. I found no durability issues with either golf ball!!!

These are just my findings... I'm a true fan of the Tour IX and it is my ball of choice a majority of the time i'm playing.

I previously played the Callaway Tour model balls and had good success. I recently went in to my shop to start shopping new clubs. While going through the tests and motions associated with this exercise, I was asked to hit the Callaway i ball since I had played the Tour X56 and others in the past. The results with the drivers I hit were terrible; loads of spin. With the same drivers and different balls (several Bridgestone), my spin numbers came down dramatically. This is just one guy's opinion, but if you want less spin with a driver, this is NOT the ball. I'm sure that it gives it back around the green, but if you are a mid-handicapper I don't think this is the ball for you. If you are someone who can deal with a high spin ball in all aspects of the game, I'm sure it's great...Callaway balls have been good for years.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Hnixon12' date='26 January 2010 - 04:00 AM' timestamp='1264507212' post='2204814']
I have both these balls in my bag, besides chipping and wedging around with both, not sure which one I like...
Just want some feedback from those who have played both balls, and which one you like better. I know both balls are new, so there aren't too many who have played both extensively...any help would be appreciated.
Driver spin, wedge spin, etc.

thanks guys
[/quote]

Wait - you have both in your bag and you're asking us to tell you? How did they play for YOU? How did they feel? Can YOU give us a review? Which one did you like? Which one spun more? Felt softer? Longer? Clickier?

OK, I haven't played the Tour i(s). But I have now played the Penta and the Tour i(z).

I played the Tour ix 95% of 2009. That was the best ball I played. I had no durability issues. It did discolor a little, but who cares. It didn't over spin on approach shots, which is a huge deal for me. It was long off the tee.

I liked the Penta OK. It spun a little too much on the driver, but not so much I might dump it just for that. However, it did spin too much coming into greens for me. That will keep it our of the bag unless our greens get rock hard in the summer.

I was extremely disappointed in the Tour i(z). I figured it to be the golf ball in my bag for 2010. No way. Callaway has softened the cover. It now spins too much, but what's worse is that I destroy the cover anytime I hit a wedge shot with a 56 or 62. First time I hit my 62 with it, the Tour i(z) looked like it was wearing a wig. I showed it to my playing partners. I don't mean it had gills. I mean pieces of the cover looked like hair growing off the ball. If I'm a pro and get them for free. I could play it. Having to play 5 or 6 a round. No way. Too much $$. Bye bye Callaway golf balls. That was not the plan.

I'm now looking at playing the Bridgestone B-330. We'll see ow the 2010 model of it plays. Hopefully, they didn't make any changes. It was my 2nd favorite golf ball in 2009.

Oh well.

[quote name='TMAG-FireMedic' date='31 January 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1264960839' post='2216808']
Played both.....Penta seems longer ever so slightly; i(s) much softer chipping.... BUT both seem to shear quite easily.... the prov1x flies very similar, isn't as soft but is durable and spins o' plenty!!!
[/quote]

OK.....played another 18 with Penta......friends both played TP Red....these guys are much longer than I, but I managed to keep my driver within eye shot and hit my irons the proper distance......very similar to ProV1X but slightly softer.....will be my gamer for 2K10 :partytime2:

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='31 January 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1264994459' post='2218046']
I picked up a dozen of the I(s) today, and I've got 3 dozen Pentas at the house already.

I'm going to play Mon-Wed and I'll post up a comparison, although it's wetter than hell around here, so I'll have to take that into consideration.
[/quote]

Hey Boss, so how was it out there? How did the balls play?

[quote name='EatSleepBreatheGolf' date='31 January 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1265001197' post='2218282']
OK, I haven't played the Tour i(s). But I have now played the Penta and the Tour i(z).

I played the Tour ix 95% of 2009. That was the best ball I played. I had no durability issues. It did discolor a little, but who cares. It didn't over spin on approach shots, which is a huge deal for me. It was long off the tee.

I liked the Penta OK. It spun a little too much on the driver, but not so much I might dump it just for that. However, it did spin too much coming into greens for me. That will keep it our of the bag unless our greens get rock hard in the summer.

I was extremely disappointed in the Tour i(z). I figured it to be the golf ball in my bag for 2010. No way. Callaway has softened the cover. It now spins too much, but what's worse is that I destroy the cover anytime I hit a wedge shot with a 56 or 62. First time I hit my 62 with it, the Tour i(z) looked like it was wearing a wig. I showed it to my playing partners. I don't mean it had gills. I mean pieces of the cover looked like hair growing off the ball. If I'm a pro and get them for free. I could play it. Having to play 5 or 6 a round. No way. Too much $. Bye bye Callaway golf balls. That was not the plan.

I'm now looking at playing the Bridgestone B-330. We'll see ow the 2010 model of it plays. Hopefully, they didn't make any changes. It was my 2nd favorite golf ball in 2009.

Oh well.
[/quote]

Oh yeah now I remember why I stopped with the iX..... and now you say that the iZ scuffs, eh? Callaway had that problem in the past with their balls. Something going on over there with their soft balls. I remember hair on their balls in the past.
Thanks for a good review.

[quote name='EatSleepBreatheGolf' date='31 January 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1265001197' post='2218282']

I was extremely disappointed in the Tour i(z). I figured it to be the golf ball in my bag for 2010. No way. Callaway has softened the cover. It now spins too much, but what's worse is that I destroy the cover anytime I hit a wedge shot with a 56 or 62. First time I hit my 62 with it, the Tour i(z) looked like it was wearing a wig. I showed it to my playing partners. I don't mean it had gills. I mean pieces of the cover looked like hair growing off the ball. If I'm a pro and get them for free. I could play it. Having to play 5 or 6 a round. No way. Too much $. Bye bye Callaway golf balls. That was not the plan.

Oh well.
[/quote]

Oh yeah now I remember why I stopped with the iX..... and now you say that the iZ scuffs, eh? Callaway had that problem in the past with their balls. Something going on over there with their soft balls. I remember hair on their balls in the past.
Thanks for a good review.

Hey everyone... I just completed a 3 day trip playing golf in Destin, Florida. I played the TP Penta and TP Red LDP in my first round, Tour I(z), and Tour ix. I haven't found anything to suggest why I would want to play any of these new model golf balls vs. their previous models.

The TP Red LDP was several yards longer off the driver as well as the irons compared to the TP Penta. And I found the spin to be almost identical off the driver as well as with every iron in my bag... So why pay more money for the Penta? This ball doesn't perform any better than TP Red LDP.... sorry guys that is just my findings.

The same can be said when I did a head to head comparison of the Tour ix vs. the Tour i(z). The Tour ix was a half club longer off the driver and irons.... Although both models seem durable I didn't have issues with the cover shredding beyond what i normally see with any tour model golf ball.

So those are my findings... I believe the Tour IX and TP RED LDP are superior balls to their respective replacements....

Anyone agree or disagree with me based on your trials?

Just curious, but if you are not hitting into a launch monitor, how can you say the spin is the same off of the driver? If you have hit them into a monitor, I get it, but there are a lot of people in this thread saying one spins more, less, or the same off the driver as the other, and I'm curious how you come to that conclusion.

I just bought a dozen of both, but there's 3 feet of snow on the ground which will hinder my comparison.

However, I was able to hit chips and putts in my house on the short carpet, which has somewhat similar characteristics to a green.

Off the putter they both feel fantastic, but have a bit of a different sound. Both butter soft like a balata, but the penta has a higher pitched sound when struck. The i(s) has a very dull, low pitched sound and the penta is just a touch clickier. Interesting since the i(x) felt like a molitor off the putter. Callaway has definitely made a better sounding/feeling golf ball on the greens.

On chips the sound and feel are much the same for both balls. They also have very comparable spin on short chips, although I am only able to chip it about 30-40 feet.

In two months when the snow's gone I'll post a full review!

I played 9 holes, and hit 2 balls off each tee and played them the other day. I(s) and the Penta

Wet conditions, but the greens were UNREAL hard and fast. I have no idea how the hell they did that, but they were some of the quickest I've ever played on.

Driver: Both were nice. Nice sound from a R9 460, med/high ball flight. Distance wise, they were both within 5-10 yards of each other on similar struck shots. The Penta seems to be more prone to sending it in one direction based on spin alone than the i(s). But for what it's worth, both balls were similar. The Callaway ball seemed to go slightly higher for me, but again, it wasn't windy so I didn't feel that I lost anything. I was getting pure carry as the fairways were very, very wet, and plugged. I liked the lower flight from the Penta and the feedback.

Irons: The I(s) was really nice, felt really soft. Nice high flight that landed very soft. Felt like I didn't lose anything over my normal balls. Was a real winner, here. The Penta I've used, and compared it, and it was the same, although led to a slightly lower ball flight, and wasn't quite as soft, but still, very soft. The Callaway won here, I think, but depends on the ball flight you might want.

Wedges: Both flat out work here. I couldn't tell much difference here between the two. I had trouble getting them to sit down with delicate pitches on these greens, but from >50 yards, I could stop them on a dime, and pulled the Penta back off the green on one hole, and jarred the Callaway ball off the side of the green with a little cut. The Penta feels firmer, and I liked that slightly. The Callaway just felt like it stuck like glue to your club face.

Putting: I like the Callaway ball only slightly more than the Penta, which was still a dream to putt with.

Over all, I think they are comparable. I think the Callaway has a little more iron spin, but the Penta has a little more feel to it for the shor game stuff.. Driver wise, I like the firmer feeling ball in the Penta, but like the soft cover it has. The Callaway was like butter throughout the bag.

Durability wasn't an issue with any of them. I had 1 scuff on both balls, and could rub it out pretty well with my towel. Each ball was struck with a 60* out of a greenside bunker and wasn't messed up bad at all.

If you want a softer feel, go for the i(s), and if you like the same short game stuff, but want a firmer feel off your irons, grab the Penta.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got better spin numbers with the i(s) off the driver than the Penta (and similar to the V1x) but easier to work the ball in every way. The putter sound/feel was very good for the i(s) over the i(z) and Penta FYI. The i(z) is supposed to be a longer ball, but it wasn't for me off of the driver or irons. As far as wedge play goes, the i(s) is just like the '09 V1x for me. Hit the exact same shots, distances and spin.

As FATC1TY said
[b]"The Callaway was like butter throughout the bag." [/b][i][/i]

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

After some more play time, I really like the Callaway i(s) with my irons, and putting with it, but beyond that, I like the Penta more. The Penta just feels like it explodes off the face of the driver-fairway-hybrid's... It's sorta clicky with the irons, but it's less clicky than the V1x, and no worse than the i(x). I like and play both those balls. The Penta is seriously glue on the greens, and I joined a new club that has some sickly fast greens, and really noticed the lack of spin I've been getting lately for some reason. ;)

The Callaway ball is a darn good ball though, I just like the added spin with the Penta for drives... works out better for me I think. Only wish the balls were around the same price as the Callaway balls, which are around the top end of what I like to keep spending for balls. The two dozen Pentas will last me a while!

I have played the Penta TP and both the i(s) and i(z) balls. Throw away the i(z).........durability was horrible and the feel as well. So clicky like a Pinnacle. It was longer but the feel was just too bad. The Penta seems a bit short off the driver but very durable and has great feel. I think the i(s) is a winner. Plenty of length, good spin, good feel, great durability.

I would like to get on a launch monitor though and see the numbers.

I may stick with the good ole' Pro V1X though.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

I was smashing the Penta today.. shot 3 over, and was super impressed with it. Pure carry on most holes, since they were plugging mostly, or popping backwards.

I used the callaway i(s) on a few holes side by side, since I was playing alone, and while it's just as long, I just couldn't get used to the feel, especially with the wedges on the soggy ground.

I did smack a hard 56* on the Penta from hard ground and backed up pretty hard.. Putted it out, and noticed I cut the ball decent enough to pull the white off of it, and needed to fix the ball with a tee to smooth it out as best I could.

• 2 weeks later...