2011 Cleveland Mashie

SakmanSakman @ryansakoMarshals Posts: 6,291 mod
Editor Review
Cleveland Golf - Mashie Hybrid

Pros: A hybrid that is as versatile as it looks! The Mashie is the true meaning of point and shoot.

Cons: Some may not like the retro-raw finish. The stock Miyazaki 59g shaft may be too light for some off the rack, however an 83g version is available via custom order.

Bottom Line: Cleveland Golf gets two HUGE thumbs up for being the first OEM that can truly challenge the #1 Hybrids currently on Tour.

Look:

Obviously, the look of the Mashie is one of the first things that attracted me to this club. It's definitely different than a majority of the hybrids out there today and I personally am a fan of Cleveland's 'Retro-Raw' trademarked finish. At address, it frames the ball perfectly and inspires confidence.

The dual-rail design on the sole is not very pronounced yet it compliments the overall headshape thoroughly. Again, before I even had a chance to test this club, I felt like I'd be able to hit this from any type of lie.

OK, yes, there is definitely some offset on the new Cleveland Mashie, but to be honest with you I do not find it distracting at all. Maybe my eyes are drawn moreso to the finish, but I think it set up perfectly.

There is a tour model that will be available for custom order which has a smaller profile and less offset. A bonus for all the gearheads out there.

Performance/playability:

I will start out by saying that the Mashie has been the very first club to knock my existing hybrids out of the bag for the first time in years. Yes, I'd try new ones all the time, but would always come back to what worked the best for me. Enter the Mashie...

This hybrid has quickly turned into my "go to" club due to its versatility. I first started hitting the club from the fairway and realized how easy it was pick from such a tight lie. The ball jumped of the face and quickly got into the air producing a fairly high ball flight.

Next, I moved into a medium length rough and was amazed how effortlessly it was to get the ball out that fast yet still generate a nice high trajectory. The stock Miyazaki 59g shaft is a key factor in this, however it got me thinking about playing this on windy days. The last thing I want is a high ball flight with the wind howling in my face. Fortunately, Cleveland is offering an 83g version of the shaft with a slightly different kick point to lower the trajectory. This option will be custom order only and will be available March 1.

Finally, I took some time around the green with the Mashie and hit quite a few bump and runs. Generally, this is not a shot that I would typically play, but the control I had with such a short distance was unbelievable. I actually lost track of time while testing because I was having so much fun!

Feel:

Take this with a grain of salt as this portion is clearly subjective. The Mashie not only reminds me of a retro club, it also feels like one! Extremely solid with a nice 'thwack' at impact. One can obviously tell when a shot is struck solidly in the middle as the ball just seems to explode off the face. Toe and heel shots can also be distinguished which is key in my opinion.

Overall bottom line:

The Mashie is at the very top of my list for overall best club in 2011. I can assure you that this club will find the bags of many players whether you're a low-mid handicap golfer or you're a weekend warrior. And with a few custom options available, it proves that Cleveland Golf is listening to what we have to say.

Without a doubt 5 out of 5 stars!

More information can be found here:

http://www.cleveland.com

Comments

• fr0styfr0sty Members Posts: 1,523
    Great review, I really want to try this one in a tour edition. Looks to be the perfect hybrid imo and the grey crown looks extremely cool.
    Srixon Z545
    Srixon F45
    Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
    Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
    Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,623 ✭✭
    Great review. Cleveland finally cut the **** with lines like the hibore and went back to their roots. The mashie looks amazing, the new tour driver has a classic looking shape, and the putters might be the best putter for your money.
  • akatoastakatoast Members Posts: 46
    Great review. When are these available and can someone setup a group buy?
  • RiuzziRiuzzi Kwok'd! Marshals Posts: 2,766
    edited Jan 18, 2011 #5
    Nice review, Ryan! I think a 20.5* will make its way into my bag in the near future.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ROBOPTIROBOPTI Members Posts: 2,495
    [size="7"]SURVEY SAYS[/size]

survey-says.jpg

.... 100 POINTS for sakman

You have done verrrrrrry well ... GREAT review ... I was about to give you some grief 1_4_126.gif - but alas - you escaped my wrath image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I am geeked up about trying this club ...Thanks a TON for the 411 !!!!

sakman.png
  • JanKo JanKo - K A Y M E R - Members Posts: 2,223 ✭✭
    Thank you for the good review. I might give the Mashie a shot, 18° with the 83g shaft would be my choice.
    Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
    Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
    Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
    Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
    Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
    Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
    WITB Link
  • SakmanSakman @ryansako Marshals Posts: 6,291 mod
    ROBOPTI wrote:

[size="7"]SURVEY SAYS[/size]

survey-says.jpg

.... 100 POINTS for sakman

You have done verrrrrrry well ... GREAT review ... I was about to give you some grief 1_4_126.gif - but alas - you escaped my wrath image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I am geeked up about trying this club ...Thanks a TON for the 411 !!!!

sakman.png

I wouldn't let you down bro! Ask and you shall receive. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
  • Mr3WiggleMr3Wiggle Members Posts: 324
    Any pics of the tour version floating around?
  • elcgolfelcgolf Posts: 232 ✭✭
    If anyone is interested, there are a few tour mashies on ebay. They look sweet.
  • mjwidellmjwidell Members Posts: 772 ✭✭
    elcgolf wrote:

If anyone is interested, there are a few tour mashies on ebay. They look sweet.

Can't find the listings on Ebay (just want to see the pics)...what words are you looking under?
    Ping G400 LST 9* Synergy Black Proto 65TX
    Titleist 915F 16.5* Whiteboard 80X
    TM P790 UDI 18* HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
    Z745 4-6, Z945 7-PW Modus 125X
    Cleveland 588 TZG 51*/Cobra King 58* Widelow
    Odyssey Works Jailbird S
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,022 ✭✭
    Cleveland have always made some solid rescue clubs dating back to the Halo, looking forward to trying this one!
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members Posts: 2,999
    That is a really great looking hybrid. I love the retro look - at address it looks like a nice solid club from a decade ago but turn it over and the sole is all 2011. Might have to give one of these a hit.
  • The finish brings me back to the good ole days of the titleist pt's...may have to pick one up for the nostalgia alone.
  • crazygolfnutcrazygolfnut CrazyGolfNut Members Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    edited Jan 19, 2011 #15
    Great review!

I have problems with hooking hybrids. What type of ball flight does this one have? Does it want to go left, right or straight for you?

Thanks.

image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    • Driver: ________ Ping G400 Max
    • Woods: _______ Ping G410 3 & 5 woods
    • Hybrids: ______ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
    • Irons: _________ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
    • Wedges: ______ Titleist Vokey SM6 52.08F & 56.08M
    • Putter: ________ Rife Mid Mallet 400
    • Ball: ___________ Snell MTB Red Yellow
    • Bag: ___________ Datrek Lite Rider
    • GPS: ___________ Bushnell NEO Ghost
    • Rangefinder: __ Precision Pro NX7
    • GHIN: _________ HCP floats between 10 and 12

“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”
  • Sean25rpSean25rp Members Posts: 3,007
    Can't stop looking at this club. Really really like it!
  • avgjoeavgjoe Members Posts: 4,999
    maybe I missed it, but when will it be available? $150, right?
  • GolfwolfGolfwolf Members Posts: 2,635
    I am liking the look of this one, I can foresee one of those going in the bag sometime this year, thanks for the review.
    Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
    TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
    Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
    Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
  • akatoastakatoast Members Posts: 46
    When is this coming out?
  • NWS AlpineNWS Alpine Members Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2011 #20
    akatoast wrote:

When is this coming out?

Feb18th. $149 and a limited tour version with a smaller head and less offset with be $179 special order and not listed for sale.
  • marcwmarcw Posts: 95
    edited Jan 28, 2011 #21
    Dang you Sakman, you just cost me at least $150.00 image/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

$160.10 to be exact, just ordered the 18* with graphite shaft image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yahoo:' />
  • Standard63Standard63 "I like you, Brandon" Members Posts: 311 ✭✭
    This stick is going to have the nastiest headcover around! Well worth buying just for that! Thanks for the great review!
    marcw wrote:

Dang you Sakman, you just cost me at least $150.00 image/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

$160.10 to be exact, just ordered the 18* with graphite shaft image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yahoo:' />

You can get it pre-ordered for cheaper. PM me.
  • SakmanSakman @ryansako Marshals Posts: 6,291 mod
    NWS Alpine wrote:

akatoast wrote:

When is this coming out?

Feb18th. $149 and a limited tour version with a smaller head and less offset with be $179 special order and not listed for sale.

Had a chance to test out the tour version at the 2011 Merch Show Demo Day and to tell you the truth, I personally like the standard model better.
    Sakman wrote:

NWS Alpine wrote:

akatoast wrote:

When is this coming out?

Had a chance to test out the tour version at the 2011 Merch Show Demo Day and to tell you the truth, I personally like the standard model better.

I haven't hit any but I will also be going with the forgiveness of the regular version. Getting an M2 and M4.
  • JanKo JanKo - K A Y M E R - Members Posts: 2,223 ✭✭
    Can anyone compare the C.Kua 59 and 83? I´d like to order a Mashie 18°, but can´t decide on a shaft.

I want the flight to be mid height and fear the C.Kua 59 might give me a too high flight (often playing with a lot of wind).
    Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
    Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
    Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
    Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
    Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
    Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
    WITB Link
  • CarloGolferCarloGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 2,497
    This club looks like the perfect transition between my old school launcher 3 wood and irons. I've been looking for a compliment to my launcher for years. I'm hitting this today at my local shop and don't see what can stop me from ordering the 83 gram version.
    My M2 and M4 are on backorder due to the 83g shaft being backordered. I pre-ordered last week of Jan.
  • Bucken77Bucken77 Poor Mans Ho ClubWRX Posts: 2,188 ✭✭
    My M2 is set to be delivered next Thursday. Can't wait
    Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
    Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
    Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
    Titleist SM4 52/58
    Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
    www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77
  • CarloGolferCarloGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 2,497
    Just ordered an 18 with an 83. The 59 miyazaki was really smooth, but I know I like a heavier shaft. Pumped!
  • rob8rob8 Posts: 262
    Went to the golf store today to hit the 910h and the mashie. The mashie won by quite a bit. Longer, more consistent and the shaft is awesome. Came home with 2. M1 and M3. Bye bye 3 wood. Hit the M1 as far as my 3 wood and the new cleveland 3 wood. For me the M1 was more consistent. Hitting it 250-260.