2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2011 R11 vs Burner SuperFast 2.0 - LM Results Attached

one9reasons

Help Me Decide Which One to Order!
I was in the area and made a stop over at my local Roger Dunns to check out the latest and greatest wares since they moved into their new location. The Superstore in Santa Ana, CA is even larger than I remembered. It's huge and the layout is very nice. After checking out the store, I cruised over to the hitting bays and noticed a line of some people waiting to try out the new TM drivers - Burner SF 2.0 and the R11. I figured since I was there, why not?

I waited about 20-mins for a bay to open up. The salesman reset the newly installed Flightscope LM and handed me a Burner SF TP 2.0 (9.5*) shafted with a Matrix HD6 in S-flex. I asked for an X-flex but, they weren't available for demo. Oh wells. My first impression for both driver were, "the white driver head is really not that bad looking," and "there really is a contrast between the back face and white crown," and "it sets up nicely to the eyes at address."

Meanwhile, in the back of my head I was worried about making an arse out of myself because I didn't have time to warm up at all. Not only that, I didn't have my glove and all the loaners were out. With the crown and sole all taped up, I said, "WTH, why not? It's only a demo unit and it's all taped up!"

Well, here are the screenshots (pictures 1-5) of the LM display for the Burner SF 2.0. I am by no means a "Pro" let alone a single digit handicap player. So, please keep the responses positive and encouraging! I've only been playing for a little less than 2-years. :yahoo:

And, finally here are the screenshots (pictures 6-10) of the LM display for the R11 (9*) shafted with the Fujikura BLUR in S-flex. By this time, I managed to find a glove. They didn't have any other R11 out for demo purpose and this shaft felt whippy. Surprisingly, I think this shaft will surprise a lot of people out there.

Well, it's decision time and I feel one of these will end up being a my new gamer for 2011. The salesman limited the time for people demo'ing this club because there were quite a bit of folks waiting for their turn. Again, thanks for looking and please be gentle!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ExProGoingBack - The Burner SF was lower spinning hands down. I think it might be designed to be for all I know. I can tell you that the HD6 felt true to flex and that it's profile makes it feel a little more stout. I say this because I normally game MRC shafts which tend to play a little softer to flex as well as it's profile. You should give her a whirl!

@emo - No doubt! I thought it was because I finally found a glove but the BLUR shaft allows one to really get through the ball with some SS behind it. Timing becomes critical with the BLUR. Unfortunately, the salesman wouldn't allow people to mess with shaft or weight settings. I don't even remember what settings were in the driver but the salesman did say it was factory default - whatever that may have been!

1st shot of the morning. I nor the salesman had any answers. LOL. But, the others seem to conclude that the Burner SF 2.0 is definitely a low spinning head and even more so with the HD6 - at least for me.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1296096143' post='2928044']
Those spin numbers look weird.... 1100 rpm?
[/quote]

[quote name='one9reasons' timestamp='1296091365' post='2927843']
@cadman88 - thanks for chiming in. I am not keen on the true importance of ball speed but, it seems to be an important variable!
[/quote]

Ball speed is one of the most important variables. It represents how much energy you were able to transfer into the ball given your impact conditions.
This factor has the largest impact on how far you hit the ball.

Ball speed, coupled with launch angle and spin rate/direction are the only factors that directly influence how far the ball travels (negating environmental factors).

@02bluesuperroo - thanks for chiming in and i agree with you in the importance of ball speed. i also understand the importance of all of the other variables such as launch angle, back spin, etc. i was just really impressed that i was able to finally find an OTR driver that met or exceeded my expectations. in this case, i can say that i was pleasantly surprised.

@kekoa - ur my inspiration! after seeing how serious you are as a player, your taste in equipment and overall dedication to the game, i can say that i'm happy that i am not the only one that is crazy!

@agolfman - so true. i verified that there is no difference in the R11 head between the TP and non TP version. i can definitely use the extra $100.00 in savings especially since, i probably wouldn't use any of the "optional" shaft offerings.

Encouraging. I'm liking the R11, but am also leaning towards the SF2.0 as a backup. Though the Adams F11 has me interested as well. In any case I wanted to order a Miyazaki C.Kua 39 with both of them.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

thanks for sharing the demo shots...very cool stuff. looks like the spin reduction on superfast is very real, but that the r11/blur combo might have been a better fit for you. i tend to have spin issues off the tee, so i'm leaning toward the superfast version, but your increased carry/ball speed numbers with r11 are also intriguing...maybe i'll have to try them both for a whiteout showdown!

Ball Speed is everything! Its how fast the ball is actually going which if you think about it is the most important thing for distance. An example:

Player 1 has a 105 mph swing speed and 155 mph ball speed for a smash factor of 1.475

Player 2 has a 112 mph swing speed and 155 mph ball speed for a smash factor of 1.38

If everything else is equal, player 1 hit the ball as far as player 2 with a slower swing. Player 1 hit the ball more solid. The only reason to measure swing speed is so you can determine how solid the hit was via smash factor. The ball could care less how fast you swung, it only matters how fast it goes.

How many balls did you hit? You mentioned that you didn't really warm up so if you only hit 10 balls I'm not surprised that the 2nd driver came out a little better. If you're serious about finding out which one is better for you, go back warm and then hit 15 or so balls with each driver and then remove your best and worst to come out with a realistic average (eg, take out your best two shots and your worst two shots).

When I fit people for clubs, 90% of the time the first club someone hits is completely dismissed, I almost have to talk them into trying it again after they're loose. You may be surprised...

And yes, those spin numbers look really strange. Anything under 2000 rpms with your swing speed will fall out of the sky. Hell, even if you swung 130 mph that's not enough spin. I would make sure it's calibrated correctly if you go back.

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The salesman that morning had a decent amount of people waiting around to try out the new drivers and when a spot opened up, I jumped right in and he asked that we limit the amount of time spent in the bay. This included number of swings and no messing around with shaft and weight settings. I said "ok" and proceeded to take some swipes at the ball. From my understanding, the SF 2.0 is a low spinning head to begin with and coupled with the HD6 (which I really didn't care for) would net real low spin numbers.

One thing I did notice was that there were a few swings where I managed to get the spin numbers into the low 2000 range which I attributed to getting a little warmed up! Thanks again for chiming in!

[quote name='jmittens24' timestamp='1296149616' post='2929459']
How many balls did you hit? You mentioned that you didn't really warm up so if you only hit 10 balls I'm not surprised that the 2nd driver came out a little better. If you're serious about finding out which one is better for you, go back warm and then hit 15 or so balls with each driver and then remove your best and worst to come out with a realistic average (eg, take out your best two shots and your worst two shots).

When I fit people for clubs, 90% of the time the first club someone hits is completely dismissed, I almost have to talk them into trying it again after they're loose. You may be surprised...

And yes, those spin numbers look really strange. Anything under 2000 rpms with your swing speed will fall out of the sky. Hell, even if you swung 130 mph that's not enough spin. I would make sure it's calibrated correctly if you go back.
[/quote]

After testing both myself a matter of hours a go I would go for the R11, I think from your stats you should too!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I am really leaning towards the R11. My club builder told me that we can work on raising the back spin through different shafts but, I felt the R11 was easier to swing. However, I am not a huge fan of the BLUR shaft. It's nice but, I think it was just too light and "whippy." You really have to be mindful of your timing and I am not that kind of player.

It probably would be a lot easier if I just got both :partytime2:.

I can use the lower spinning one at some of the real windy tracks I play and the R11 can be a regular gamer! Man, I hope the wife doesn't catch wind of this post!

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1296155756' post='2929768']
After testing both myself a matter of hours a go I would go for the R11, I think from your stats you should too!
[/quote]

I have to say the feel of the R11 was pretty good, the superfast 2.0 for me felt a touch harsh.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I thought the same. I honestly think it was because of the HD6 that was in it - the salesman didn't have any other ones out on display. FWIW, I think it's a great head, sets up nicely like the R11 but, you just need to find a shaft for her. If anyone has the patience to find a shaft, it might be easier to tune one variable as opposed to a shaft and all of the weight combinations of the R11. I guess it all depends on how much patience each person has.

[quote name='craz-e' timestamp='1296157037' post='2929844']
I have to say the feel of the R11 was pretty good, the superfast 2.0 for me felt a touch harsh.
[/quote]