Media Sabotaging Tiger?

SurfDuffer

It seems like there is a trend that began last year. Every time Tiger has an important tournament, a major or in this case his first tournament of the year, the media comes out with a story that seems to be designed for the sole purpose of derailing him mentally before a tournament. It seems to me to be a coordinated attempt to mess with the guy by the media out of spite or to mess with the Tiger brand. Like him or not nobody would like to have personal details of their life reported or speculated upon in the media especially the day or two before a big tournament. Just seems like an interesting dynamic that has emerged and is worthy of conversation. Is the media purposely trying to damage Tiger now?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1358685905' post='6263939']
This is silly, but I'm sure you already know that. Please share the subject matter of the "story" that came out before Abu Dhabi, Ryder Cup, FedEx Cup, PGA, etc. and the names of the major golf media that participated in each. That should keep you busy until this is locked.
[/quote]
Why silly? I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing the trend. Did you miss the story that hit the media last week just as he was getting ready to tee it up for the first time of the season? Don't you find the timing of the release of that story a little suspect? First thing I thought of when I saw that news story was that the media was trying to mess with his head.

Why would the thread get locked? Its a valid thread. This is a discussion board on golf and so long as everyone acts like adults there should be no problem.

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1358686467' post='6263957']
[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1358685905' post='6263939']
This is silly, but I'm sure you already know that. Please share the subject matter of the "story" that came out before Abu Dhabi, Ryder Cup, FedEx Cup, PGA, etc. and the names of the major golf media that participated in each. That should keep you busy until this is locked.
[/quote]
Why silly? I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing the trend. Did you miss the story that hit the media last week just as he was getting ready to tee it up for the first time of the season? Don't you find the timing of the release of that story a little suspect? First thing I thought of when I saw that news story was that the media was trying to mess with his head.

Why would the thread get locked? Its a valid thread. This is a discussion board on golf and so long as everyone acts like adults there should be no problem.
[/quote]

What was the story? I must have missed it...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Source?

Please make your case the things you say are based in reality, as opposed to just your feelings. Please go back to all of the tournaments you referenced and then point out the "sabotage story" that preceded it. Looking forward to learning about this.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1358685046' post='6263911']
It seems like there is a trend that began last year. Every time Tiger has an important tournament, a major or in this case his first tournament of the year, the media comes out with a story that seems to be designed for the sole purpose of derailing him mentally before a tournament. It seems to me to be a coordinated attempt to mess with the guy by the media out of spite or to mess with the Tiger brand. Like him or not nobody would like to have personal details of their life reported or speculated upon in the media especially the day or two before a big tournament. Just seems like an interesting dynamic that has emerged and is worthy of conversation. Is the media purposely trying to damage Tiger now?
[/quote]

are you talking about the enquirer and tmz? their sole business is to purposely damage people. as far as the golf media is concerned, they could care less.

The only Tiger sabotage going on is what he created for himself when he started "putting it about". Up until then his personal life was just that, personal... ever since it has been out in the open (and continues to be) he can't seem to handle it and his results have suffered. He has no-one to blame but himself.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1358687749' post='6264033']
The only Tiger sabotage going on is what he created for himself when he started "putting it about". Up until then his personal life was just that, personal... ever since it has been out in the open (and continues to be) he can't seem to handle it and his results have suffered. He has no-one to blame but himself.
[/quote]

I realize that he created his own mess. This thread is not about that. This is about the timing of the stories in the media to do maximum damage to his play. One would have had to have their head in the sand to not see the stories that hit last week.

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1358687990' post='6264041']
[/quote]

I realize that he created his own mess. This thread is not about that. This is about the timing of the stories in the media to do maximum damage to his play. One would have had to have their head in the sand to not see the stories that hit last week.
[/quote]

the story you are most likely referring to came from the national enquirer, who could care less about tiger's golf game. they are an equal opportunity destroyer.

[/quote]

[/quote]

My point is that if he hadn't been a naughty boy, they wouldn't have the ammunition to print such stories. Before 2009 no-one knew that much about his personal life, and the stories printed were 99.9% about golf. When he took the conscious decision to become a man-slut, and subsequently tried to buy his ex-wife's affections back, you cannot blame the media for reporting on it, as based on his recent track record, it is rather newsworthy.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

And with regard to the timing... that's the way the media works, regardless of who the target is. Stories sell for more money, websites receive more hits, and papers sell more copies if the target is just about to make a public appearance and can then be asked about it in a press conference. If the story had come out in mid-December, it would have disappeared in a couple of days.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Hey surf still waiting for your stories for each tourney and how they may have impacted him, I believe your point is warrent less, why? Because it lacks any facts and substance. And something that the UK chap above pointed out he brought this on by himself, besides if the most recognizable player in golf can't stand the heat well then get out of the kitchen. Simple as that.

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1358688510' post='6264077']
And with regard to the timing... that's the way the media works, regardless of who the target is. Stories sell for more money, websites receive more hits, and papers sell more copies if the target is just about to make a public appearance and can then be asked about it in a press conference. If the story had come out in mid-December, it would have disappeared in a couple of days.
[/quote]

there was actually a story that came out in mid-december, how do you explain that !?! .....

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tiger-woods-parties-with-scantily-clad-women-after-tournament-20121112

Well googled. I'm sure you can find a Tiger story from every day over the last 4 years if you wanted to... it doesn't mean they are all true though. You do realise that journalists don't store all Tiger stories in a jar, and pick one out on the Wednesday before a tournament, don't you? An internet blog isn't really the same as a front page story in a newspaper, or a piece on a more reputable website.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1358688232' post='6264061']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My point is that if he hadn't been a naughty boy, they wouldn't have the ammunition to print such stories. Before 2009 no-one knew that much about his personal life, and the stories printed were 99.9% about golf. When he took the conscious decision to become a man-slut, and subsequently tried to buy his ex-wife's affections back, you cannot blame the media for reporting on it, as based on his recent track record, it is rather newsworthy.
[/quote]

At least someone here admits there was a story put out last week that may have had a damaging effect on the player. You don't find the timing of the story hitting the media to be a little suspicious?

TMZ is just acting as the yin to the Golf Media's yang of making Tiger a "God" for all those years.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Just like the stories about Armstrong always seemed to come out before his next Tour de France victory. It was all bollocks designed to affect Lances ability to dominate and damage his reputation.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Bottom line is the media in the present day has become a whore that is willing to report anything for their viewers if they think it will make them a profit. Positive stories don't sell newspapers, keep a viewer tuned to a TV station or keep web users logged on to a website. Do news gathering sources like TMZ or the National Enquirer report negative stories about TW the week of a big tournament? Oh course they do but that's what they do.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

[quote name='Jimbud' timestamp='1358691064' post='6264219']
Bottom line is the media in the present day has become a whore that is willing to report anything for their viewers if they think it will make them a profit. Positive stories don't sell newspapers, keep a viewer tuned to a TV station or keep web users logged on to a website. Do news gathering sources like TMZ or the National Enquirer report negative stories about TW the week of a big tournament? Oh course they do but that's what they do.
[/quote]

Agree with Jim. Much of the media (not all) are whores who will do anything to sell another rag or get more viewers or get more website visits.

I'm in the camp who care nothing about Tiger banging cocktail waitress sluts. It's not my business. I just like to watch him play golf. He's not the Tiger of 2000, but I think he's got a lot of great golf ahead.

Poor Tiger. Now the media is against him too.

IBTL!!!!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle