Best 3 wood

Kaexo

Years ago when I went to a hybrid for my 2 iron I hit it so much further and straighter that I took the 3 wood out of the bag for another wedge. As I got older and started losing distance, I really wanted something I could hit further off the deck. Knowing the technology in 3Ws had advanced I started shopping for a new one but was dissapointed in the head size and shallow faces of what I saw. Then I ran across the "mini drivers". Larger head, deeper face, higher MOI etc... I tried several and settled on the Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 set to 16 degrees. I absolutely love it! I can now occasionally run one up on a par five or least be close enough to get it up and down more often.

But I'll tell you one thing, If I ever find one of these-

"Best 3 wood is the one that gets the job done and one that you can grab at any time and have a Stenson confidence in it."

I might get rid of my driver too!

I also have the 14 bertha mini 1.5. How do you find it off the deck? I mainly use it as a safer option off the tee.

About the only time I hit it off the tee is if it is a layup hole. I hit it 95% of time off the ground and with a good lie for me it works just like a three wood in this respect. I don't really see why it wouldn't as it has a very low center of gravity and I've got mine adjusted to 16°. Mine is also the 14° model and it is easier to hit off the ground adjusted to 16° as I think would be expected.

I really like Callaway 815 Alpha 14*. I have speeder 665 stiff, tipped 1/2" playing at 42.5" 30 gram weight in front set at 15 degrees. This is a great club for me. 225 carry with 3200-3300 spin. Most three woods I spin out of control and they go no where. Swing speed on trackman around 98mph.

I really like Callaway 815 Alpha 14*. I have speeder 665 stiff, tipped 1/2" playing at 42.5" 30 gram weight in front set at 15 degrees. This is a great club for me. 225 carry with 3200-3300 spin. Most three woods I spin out of control and they go no where. Swing speed on trackman around 98mph.

I still like the Big Bertha Alpha 815, and have a 14* with a Rogue Silver 110MSI 70-S shaft in it. Until the Exotics CBX fairway wood was introduced, the BB Alpha 815 was my absolute favorite 3-wood of all time, although there were a couple of earlier-generation Exotics fairways (CB2 and CB5 Tour) that were very high on my list. All of these 3-woods perform very well, and very similarly for me, but the CBX is just a bit “hotter”, and it is the lowest-spinning of the bunch, which is great if you need to reduce spin with your 3-wood (not all golfers will benefit from reduced spin from a fairway wood). I cannot wait to get the new Exotics CBX119 3-wood in my hands to see if it is any better than the original CBX or the CBX T3.

[Disclaimer: I am a Tour Edge Fitter/Dealer, and my CBX 3-wood is a pre-production prototype that they sent me mid-year in 2017. However, I have hit several of the standard production CBX fairways (Strong 3, standard 15* 3, 4, and 5 woods, plus a 15* T3 model), and all of them perform very well].

• Like 1

I bagged a Sonartec SS-3.5 14 deg. w/ Aldila NV-85x for years until it was stolen. Been playing a TEE CB5 w/ AD Di-8x for a while and I've had a hard time finding anything else that is good enough to make me take it out...I feel like I've hit 'em all and in order for me to make a change, there has to be a SIGNIFICANT difference, and from what I've experienced, there just isn't much difference in any of them today (other than some very minor adjustability tweaks).

That Sonartec was an absolute sledgehammer. Sure wish I had that combo back...

Until the CBX came out, I think that the Exotics CB5 was the best fairway wood that Tour Edge ever made. I still have one with a Fubuki Tour 73-S shaft in it, and I doubt that I will ever get rid of it, even though I have been playing a 13.5* CBX Strong 3-wood for the last 18 months.

• Like 1

well I have a Rogue SZ 3+ in a hzrdus yellow 85 on it's way so I'm hoping that's the one! Excited to get back in a bonded head and it'll be my first 3+. Also have never played a 80g shaft in a 3w so this will probably be more club than I can handle. I did however get it chopped to play at 42" so hoping that helps. Planning on going "one-length" with my 3/5 woods.

If not, I'll swap out the shaft for something smoother with more launch. Kind of just wanted the shaft to put in a miz ST180 but I'll try it out first.

I'd be really interested to know what you think of that setup. I had the Rogue SZ in 15* with the same HZRDUS Yellow 85g 6.5 shaft and for whatever reason, it was way too spinny and launched like an 8-iron (very high) for me. Felt great, don't get me wrong, but just not what I needed to fill that slot in my bag. Of course, it could've been my swing, could've been the higher loft than what I'm accustomed to (I've always played 3+ and have since gone back to a 13.5*), but my suspicion is that the counterbalanced shaft just didn't fit me.

In any case, I hope it is a winning combo for you, but please do report back as I'd love to see if you have a similar experience or whether it was just me. Thanks.

Until the CBX came out, I think that the Exotics CB5 was the best fairway wood that Tour Edge ever made. I still have one with a Fubuki Tour 73-S shaft in it, and I doubt that I will ever get rid of it, even though I have been playing a 13.5* CBX Strong 3-wood for the last 18 months.

I have the same CB5 with Fubuki Tour 73S, and love that thing. Mine is a 4 wood. I’ve never tried the CBX, but the only one that I think I may like better than the CB5 is the E8 Beta, also in 16.5*. I have a Diamana S+ 70 in that one. Man, is that a sweet club.

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 9.5* Diamana S+ 60 LTD
TItleist 917F2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70 LTD
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i Modus 120 -OR- TM V Steel 7W 21* NV 75
Ping i210 4-UW DG 120
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 60* SS
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5