Moving to East Bay Area

chichi72

Hey guys,

Seen a few threads like this, but wanted some fresh input. Moving to Berkeley in a month or so, and a good golf course is very important to me. I would ideally like to join a club but I'm open to public options if they have deals that make financial sense (I play a lot). My job will be in Point Richmond so right now the best options seem to be

1) Berkeley CC

2) Richmond CC

I am 25, and cannot afford a huge initiation fee or a wait list. Priority is an excellent golf course, but I love practicing so that would be nice too. It is my understanding that not a lot of the courses in the area have good practice facilities, but I would be willing to practice somewhere else. I will be working east coast hours so would have time to get nine holes in most afternoons, so I would love to take advantage of that without too much driving.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know much about the private clubs (not realistic on my budget) as far as practice centers go, this could be a decent deal:

https://coricapark.com/premiere-practice-membership/

$100 a month for unlimited range balls and use of a Par-3 course, all recently remodeled. It is accross town from Berkeley though and traffic could make it unreasonable. Just something to put on the radar.

Also Tilden Park should be played once or twice because it’s a fun little course with interesting holes and good elevation changes. (But it’s not going to compete with any of the private clubs around)

Sorry I can’t speak to the question, but someone ought to chime in.

I thought I’d add, I don’t know what your range is, but a little ways out is The Bridges in San Ramon. It’s a beast of a course but always in great shape. They’re semi-private and have this membership info on their website: http://www.thebridgesgolf.com/-membership-overview . Alas, I do not know what their monthlies are, just the low initiation they advertise.

Practice center there is ok, but not as good as Corica Park. I could get there from Concord where I worked in about 30 minutes at 5:00 P.M; I imagine you could get there even faster if you went earlier.

Not sure if that is anywhere near what you want location-wise, and you should play it if you are thinking about it because it gets very mixed opinions (read: it’s hard), but I like playing there.

-James

I thought I'd add, I don't know what your range is, but a little ways out is The Bridges in San Ramon. It's a beast of a course but always in great shape. They're semi-private and have this membership info on their website: http://www.thebridge...ership-overview . Alas, I do not know what their monthlies are, just the low initiation they advertise.

Practice center there is ok, but not as good as Corica Park. I could get there from Concord where I worked in about 30 minutes at 5:00 P.M; I imagine you could get there even faster if you went earlier.

Not sure if that is anywhere near what you want location-wise, and you should play it if you are thinking about it because it gets very mixed opinions (read: it's hard), but I like playing there.

-James

The range at Bridges is good in terms of targets. It is a mat only range. As far as I know there is only one measly pitching/chipping area there and its down by the course and it isn't lighted.

Welcome to the East Bay.

I was actually talking to someone about Mira Vista/BCC on the weekend and apparently they have $500/month no initiation on at the moment, so as a sub 40yr old it could be even cheaper.

That said you can guess how that's going over with existing members and also points to the current health/lack of financial health of the place.

If you want to bang lots of balls and work on your short game, Metro or Chuck Corica are the way to go. Drive down from Richmond is a PITA though.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Richmond CC is running facebook ads with some special offer (just saw one yesterday), so google Richmond Country Club and you'll start seeing them shortly. Know nothing about the course and haven't found any info on it here either, but would be curious to find out. Anyone have any info on Richmond CC? Obviously Richmond isn't considered the nicest/safest area, that is noted.

I played Berkeley CC last July. It's actually in El Cerrito, if that makes any difference. I'm not sure if they were water rationing in that city, last year. But there were some under watered areas. A water shortage shouldn't be a problem in Northern California this year, though. We've been getting hammered the last few weeks. The greens were decent. They have a small range. It's built on a hillside, so not many level lies. Great views of the Bay.

If I were to choose a home course in the East Bay, my primary consideration would be proximity to work and home. Traffic is brutal in the Bay Area.

If you're living in Berkeley look at joining the Player's Club at Tilden (located in Berkeley hills). For 29.99/mo you get a large bucket of balls per day and reduced greens fees. You can also use the PC membership at Monarch Bay for reduced fees (but not free balls - you only get them at your home course).

Welcome to the EB

Corica South in Alameda is a good option.

For a private club, check out Claremont CC (Alister McKensie design)

Plenty of great tracks to try besides:

Pebble, Spyglass, Olympic Club, Pasatiempo, Meadow Club, SF Club

Public: TPC Harding,TPC Stonebrae, Baylands, Bridges, Callippe Preserve, Half Moon Bay, Poppy Ridge, Poppy Hills

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

You certainly need to think about traffic in where you are going. If you haven't already it may be helpful to pop on Google maps and do some trip planning for typical times you might be driving to the course from work. It will give you a time range based on "typical traffic" for any given time of day.

Being you are working East Coast hours I assume you are getting off at 2-3pm. If you are working in Point Richmond traffic shouldn't effect you as much if you are going to Richmond Country Club or Berkeley Country Club. Probably about 10-25 minutes depending on the day.

The Tilden Park Players Club is a really good deal. The course is hilly and rounds can take a really long time our there. Their range sucks (very elevated off mats).

You said you are going to be living in Berkeley?

^That's it. I really wouldn't recommend Tilden to anyone that wants to play a lot.

There are some neat holes and strong par 3s there, but what a slog it can become really quick with groups searching for balls and then the shooting gallery on the back.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Welcome to the EB

Public: TPC Harding,TPC Stonebrae, Baylands, Bridges, Callippe Preserve, Half Moon Bay, Poppy Ridge, Poppy Hills

TPC Stonebrae is private not public

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the EB

How exclusive is Claremont and Orinda? Both have been suggested to me but seem a little more exclusive.

• 3 weeks later...

Orinda and Claremont are both about the same cost (I am a member at Orinda).

If you are living in Berkeley and working in Point Richmond, you have named the two best options for you. Both Richmond CC and Berkeley CC should be available at a reasonable cost with no wait to join.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I've played Berkeley CC a few times and wasn't impressed. The course is okay. Not much of a practice range either. You really have to watch your backswing or you could hit the person behind you they're that close together. The course isn't anything country club fancy. I've played much better munis. Richmond CC keeps sending me invites for 2 memberships for the price of one.

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in El Cerrito for 10 years. Berkeley CC/Mira Vista is a decent private course. Richmond CC is decent as well, I've played there about 5-10 times (courtesy of my friend and my local golf association). Good condition but bermuda fairways, which is odd in California. Those are the only realistic CCs for you in Point Richmond because otherwise its over 45-60 mins to some other private course.

Local public link options are plentiful, there's Hiddenbrooke in Vallejo, Metro in Oakland, Harding Park and Presidio in SF, but those are going to be a day long excursion, not something close and certainly not a CC experience.

As for Tilden Park, its interesting but shortish.

If you're going to play multiple times a week, I'd say either of the two CCs nearby are worth $500/mo but that's just me.

As for Claremont, my former partners are members and I played there plenty over the years, its very hard to get in because they have strict membership procedures and not much attrition. (Also no shorts on golf course, EVER!)

Good luck and welcome to East Bay!

• 4 weeks later...

> @DJGainer said:

> If you're living in Berkeley look at joining the Player's Club at Tilden (located in Berkeley hills). For 29.99/mo you get a large bucket of balls per day and reduced greens fees. You can also use the PC membership at Monarch Bay for reduced fees (but not free balls - you only get them at your home course).

Thats a really good deal, I wish that more courses and ranges would have these types of Clubs or Memberships that are really no brainers. Have a relative who lives out of state and his home course has a range deal like $30 a month unlimited balls, plus discount on greens fees and soft goods in the pro shop. Golf needs more no brainers. To where you look at the math on number of times you play or practice and its a no-brainer to join. Its like if your gonna go play Spanish or Spy, the Dukes membership is a no-brainer because one round discounty essentially covers nearly the cost of the membership. Play 2 rounds or play 1 round there and 1 round at Del Monte and it has paid for itself. Being in the Tri Valley, Tilden is a little bit far to go practice, but cant for the life of me understand why more courses dont offer these types of deals.

@chichi72 Have you looked into the Corica Premier Practice Membership? https://coricapark.com/premiere-practice-membership/

This looks like a great deal and gets you free access to the par 3 course and discounted rates for the 18 hole courses as well.

Additionally, I just came across the Contra Costa Country Club in Pleasant Hill: https://www.contracostacc.org/membership/categories

This club got a nice renovation recently after Troon management took over. Looks like they pumped a lot of money into it and the course looks like it's in great shape.

Contra Costa is a really nice course and a great one to walk. They are starting to follow a few neighboring clubs by sanding fairways as a regular program, to help with firmness. Good practice area. Only negative is that the club gets a lot of play, so you'll have to be a bit flexible with your schedule, or work to get into a regular game.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 1 month later...

I was a member at BCC(Mira Vista) for 2 yrs-and quit this Jan for a few reasons. I simply can't justify the cost given 1-2 full rounds per month, lots of 4,6,9 hole outings.

I joined RCC as practice member ($1200/annually). Food and service is a big leg up at RCC, practice facility is great, course is short but thoughtfully designed with prevailing wind in mind and tough downhill putts. Plenty of RCC members are looking for a 'Plus 1' to drop their cost by half. You're looking at $4-500/month w food minimum, no initiation fee!

No brainer if you are working in Pt Richmond.

Tpc stonebrae is excellent.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't played either but I saw Berkeley CC is on Golfnow and the reviews were very bad. I dont think I would be joining there at this point.

Havent played Richmond but did go hiking out at Point Pinole and looked like a pretty cool spot. Need to get my brother to join so I can play when up there.