The Bridgestone J15 CB's have to be one of the best? Don't they?

pjc

Bought a set on ebay, should be arriving today... Always a set I have wanted to try o it will be interesting to see how they compare to my 745s and S55s...

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Got my J15 CBs today.... soles are thicker than I expected but they are nice looking. Nothing extravagant, but classic for sure. They remind me a lot of my 745s, with just a tad more offset showing. I got them with X100s which I typically do not play but I was able to hit a few shots in my garage and I have to say, they feel great, even with a shaft like the X100... almost explosive. I had planned on sticking with the 745s for a couple months at the least but I am already breaking that streak by putting the J15s in the bag for tomorrow... I have to see how they are outside as they feel impressive already off carpet indoors. Long irons are a little DPCesque.... will report back after I hit some outside...

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Got the J15s on the course today, I am obviously late to the party.... I don't know what it was, head, shaft, the combo, but on a windy day these irons were incredibly accurate. I was not sure about the X100s in these but they are more than playable for me and I think contributed to the accuracy. Ball flight was noticeably lower on occasion but nothing I was too concerned about. As long as I got myself lined up correctly, it was like throwing darts... I was really impressed. I nutted quite a few shots and feel was fantastic.... just soft feel with a powerful flight. I'm not ready to say they have won over the 745s, but they will for sure be getting more time in the bag.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Got the J15s on the course today, I am obviously late to the party.... I don't know what it was, head, shaft, the combo, but on a windy day these irons were incredibly accurate. I was not sure about the X100s in these but they are more than playable for me and I think contributed to the accuracy. Ball flight was noticeably lower on occasion but nothing I was too concerned about. As long as I got myself lined up correctly, it was like throwing darts... I was really impressed. I nutted quite a few shots and feel was fantastic.... just soft feel with a powerful flight. I'm not ready to say they have won over the 745s, but they will for sure be getting more time in the bag.

Nix and I play all the same clubs. ?

I agree on the J15 CB and I really feel like the Bridgestone sole is a big plus in how well they perform. I have them in the DG Pro shaft and I swear they are irons you find yourself wanting to play. Very precise.

And I’ll tell ya, the 2017 version of Tour B X-CBP — yes, the most forgiving of the heads in the Tour B lineup — looks pretty good too, not only as a long iron replacement all the time but a more forgiving set when you are not feeling it. I was looking at them side by side tonight with the J15 CB and they flow well together. Same sole design done a little wider. The Mizuno Hot Metals would be their competitor type iron but to me this version (satin, not blue badging of 2018) Bridgestone has looks better from address to me.

It’s a major brand in Japan. Not surprised at all at the quality of the clubs.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Looking for some input here...

I have had these J15s out for 3 rounds now... before that played 745s with PX flighted 5.5 shafts. By my standards, those were long irons... I got these J15s shafted with X100s. I planned on just giving them a reshaft, but I actually like the way they feel and perform. My only problem... they are too long!!!! They have been getting me 5-10 yards more than my 745s, which sometimes is nice, but I am finding myself in between clubs all the time now. Have any of you noticed this about the J15 CBs? Maybe I need to have the lofts checked? I am having to redo my wedge set up to make the bottom of the bag more cohesive... not a huge deal but if anything I expected these irons to play shorter with stiffer shafts.... If they are typically long, I will adjust, anyone else experience this with this?

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 5 months later...

Just picked up my 4th set of these.

I Keep moving on to the newest irons and coming right back.

Mine were purchased heads only and I

Installed the $-Taper 125 Blacks.

1st round with them on Wednesday and I shot +3.

When will I learn to keep them.

Great looking, sooo soft and beautiful.

I WILL NOT sell these!

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

> @roxald said:

> Just picked up my 4th set of these.

> I Keep moving on to the newest irons and coming right back.

> Mine were purchased heads only and I

> Installed the $-Taper 125 Blacks.

> 1st round with them on Wednesday and I shot +3.

> When will I learn to keep them.

> Great looking, sooo soft and beautiful.

> I WILL NOT sell these!

> Rox

>

>

Got my second set a few weeks ago. I sold off all my other irons and only have two sets of the J15 CB now. I love them that much. AMAZING irons.

• Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

??

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and

Backups:

I’ve had the Cobra FTBs and Ping i200s in the bag this year....great irons! Loved them both....but both were tossed aside by a set of forged irons with no spring face, no slots and no multi-metal polymer filled cavity irons that were released in 2014/15?

That’s sayin’ something.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Backups:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Nix and I play all the same clubs. ?

I agree on the J15 CB and I really feel like the Bridgestone sole is a big plus in how well they perform. I have them in the DG Pro shaft and I swear they are irons you find yourself wanting to play. Very precise.

And I’ll tell ya, the 2017 version of Tour B X-CBP — yes, the most forgiving of the heads in the Tour B lineup — looks pretty good too, not only as a long iron replacement all the time but a more forgiving set when you are not feeling it. I was looking at them side by side tonight with the J15 CB and they flow well together. Same sole design done a little wider. The Mizuno Hot Metals would be their competitor type iron but to me this version (satin, not blue badging of 2018) Bridgestone has looks better from address to me.

It’s a major brand in Japan. Not surprised at all at the quality of the clubs.

Hmm idk about comparing HM to the j15cb. The cb is definitely more of a players iron with slight forgiveness. Those hot metals are beefy lol meant for GI category players. Cb looks great to me, I couldn’t even look at a hot metal. 

I have used my J15cb since their release and now, im looking for an upgrade. Here are the contenders, let me know what you think:

-pxg 0311t gen3 

-pxg 0311p gen3

-the next ping i210

-taylormade p770

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

7 hours ago, C_rad said:

I have used my J15cb since their release and now, im looking for an upgrade. Here are the contenders, let me know what you think:

-pxg 0311t gen3 

-pxg 0311p gen3

-the next ping i210

-taylormade p770

All good choices but I think will be very different from the J15.  I played the 0311T and the P770 out of those (and the i210, not its successor) and neither one of those was similar to the J15cb.  I was extremely disappointed in the P770 outside, lacked feel, distances were wonky... could have been down to the KBS Tour..   But I'd say the 0311P may be the closest out of those choices.  I found the sole on the Gen 3 0311T to be a bit unfriendly through the ground at times and there's nothing more I dislike than a grabby iron!  I wouldn't leave out the Srixon ZX line, mainly the ZX7 or even the 785 if you can find a new or clean set.  Maybe even T100 or 200 as well if you like the J15cb.  I think the pre worn leading edge and sole design of those irons nailed it but has not be duplicated.

Edited by Nixhex524
  • Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

All good choices but I think will be very different from the J15.  I played the 0311T and the P770 out of those (and the i210, not its successor) and neither one of those was similar to the J15cb.  I was extremely disappointed in the P770 outside, lacked feel, distances were wonky... could have been down to the KBS Tour..   But I'd say the 0311P may be the closest out of those choices.  I found the sole on the Gen 3 0311T to be a bit unfriendly through the ground at times and there's nothing more I dislike than a grabby iron!  I wouldn't leave out the Srixon ZX line, mainly the ZX7 or even the 785 if you can find a new or clean set.  Maybe even T100 or 200 as well if you like the J15cb.  I think the pre worn leading edge and sole design of those irons nailed it but has not be duplicated.

Thank you for the suggestions! Will check these out. You didnt comment on the ping i series… how are they versus the j15? 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

20 minutes ago, C_rad said:

Thank you for the suggestions! Will check these out. You didnt comment on the ping i series… how are they versus the j15? 

I tried the i210 a couple times, may have left them out subconsciously or consciously..  LOL  I did not love them.  They seem to have too much bounce for my liking and I actually got the occasional flier which I didn't love.  I tried them for the forgiveness/player factor most users speak of, I just didn't see it and I tried more than once with these.  That said, I do have a set of iBlades coming this week and I expect to like them much more than the i210.  I seem to do better with thinner soles or anything with a ground leading edge/V sole.  I much preferred the S55 to the i210 as well.  

I JUST put the 718 AP2 in the bag this past week and after one round, I am REALLY impressed with them, they may end up being the ones, they are just harder to find in good shape anymore.  That said though, I don't think there is a better value out there right now than the Srixons.  It just seems they keep putting out quality, reliable irons.  I say that but I also think the New Level are worth a look for the money, they look very similar to the J15 cb as well.... LOL  should have added that earlier....

• Thanks 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

I tried the i210 a couple times, may have left them out subconsciously or consciously..  LOL  I did not love them.  They seem to have too much bounce for my liking and I actually got the occasional flier which I didn't love.  I tried them for the forgiveness/player factor most users speak of, I just didn't see it and I tried more than once with these.  That said, I do have a set of iBlades coming this week and I expect to like them much more than the i210.  I seem to do better with thinner soles or anything with a ground leading edge/V sole.  I much preferred the S55 to the i210 as well.  

I JUST put the 718 AP2 in the bag this past week and after one round, I am REALLY impressed with them, they may end up being the ones, they are just harder to find in good shape anymore.  That said though, I don't think there is a better value out there right now than the Srixons.  It just seems they keep putting out quality, reliable irons.  I say that but I also think the New Level are worth a look for the money, they look very similar to the J15 cb as well.... LOL  should have added that earlier....

In the DTC section, the haywood cb has my interest for the moment. I will take a look at srixon. Thanks

• Like 1

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

3 hours ago, C_rad said:

In the DTC section, the haywood cb has my interest for the moment. I will take a look at srixon. Thanks

So far the Haywood CB's are legit. 

• Thanks 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

20 hours ago, C_rad said:

-pxg 0311t gen3 

-pxg 0311p gen3

-the next ping i210

-taylormade p770

Don’t ignore the ZX7s.

ZX7s are very close in address profile and sole relief as the J15s. J15s have a rounded sole with leading edge relief vs ZX7 V-sole. Both sole designs are great. J15s are softer. ZX7s are soft but more solid with more forgiveness. Can’t go wrong with either. 

I now also have a set of 0311T/Ps and they’re a great option as well. Different sole design that I will not be sure of until I can get on fairways though.

Great feel and kinda between the J15s and ZX7s.

0311T is a closer profile to the J15s and ZX7s. 0311P are a bit bigger profile.

Honestly can’t believe I am playing a foam filled iron and like it:-)

Rox

Edited by roxald
  • Like 1

2023 in the Bag!

Backups:

8 hours ago, C_rad said:

Those Haywoods are beautiful.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 1 year later...

If you play the Bridgestone J15 forged cb irons from 2014-15 you are a member of a special group.  I could go on about how they look, how they feel, the sound all that is subjective.  I've gone back to these after playing the p790s and Miura TC 201s.  I should have never left.  Only a few play these irons and I think because of that there may be a special bond.  If I see these in someone's bag I'd want to introduce myself because well, these clubs are timeless.  Maybe like a favorite scotch, bourbon, or cigar these clubs to me is an identity. They are that good.  I have two sets that will stay with me. 

• Like 4