How to tell if you are a pushy, crazy or overbearing golf parent

> @CJPenny said:

> Wow, I used to work junior golf tournaments as a summer job, and the parents of the better players would almost all be in the 50+ range. Won't comment on parenting since I'm not a parent, but I'd be shocked if a large portion of today's new pros and high profile college golfers didn't have at least one parent in the one of the highest categories.

Interesting view here, one that I am actually living. Kids ranging in age from 25 to 1 year (in 11 days). I will tell you now that I am 48 years old that my patience level with my kids is so much higher now than with my oldest. Also, I have more time to "invest" in my kids now. When my oldest was growing up I was forced to work as much as possible to pay the bills (or it seemed like it to my young self at the time). Now, I have more financial security I can afford to work from home, take the time, join the country club, etc. all things that put the younger ones in a much better position to succeed at a sport like golf.

Also, less of my identity is tied up in how well they do at a sport than when I was younger. My oldest son was a soccer player and I loved when he succeeded because it made him feel good, I told myself. But in reality, he being one of the best on the team meant I had done something right. Now, I just want my daughters to be happy. My hope is they will be happy winning and if someone is better, they will want to improve, but I can't make that decision for them.

I will and am willing to invest the time and money in an equal amount as they are to achieving success in whatever they choose. I will not, however, invest the time or money into something I have to force them into.

> @DZClark said:

> > @CJPenny said:

> > Wow, I used to work junior golf tournaments as a summer job, and the parents of the better players would almost all be in the 50+ range. Won't comment on parenting since I'm not a parent, but I'd be shocked if a large portion of today's new pros and high profile college golfers didn't have at least one parent in the one of the highest categories.

>

> Interesting view here, one that I am actually living. Kids ranging in age from 25 to 1 year (in 11 days). I will tell you now that I am 48 years old that my patience level with my kids is so much higher now than with my oldest. Also, I have more time to "invest" in my kids now. When my oldest was growing up I was forced to work as much as possible to pay the bills (or it seemed like it to my young self at the time). Now, I have more financial security I can afford to work from home, take the time, join the country club, etc. all things that put the younger ones in a much better position to succeed at a sport like golf.

> Also, less of my identity is tied up in how well they do at a sport than when I was younger. My oldest son was a soccer player and I loved when he succeeded because it made him feel good, I told myself. But in reality, he being one of the best on the team meant I had done something right. Now, I just want my daughters to be happy. My hope is they will be happy winning and if someone is better, they will want to improve, but I can't make that decision for them.

> I will and am willing to invest the time and money in an equal amount as they are to achieving success in whatever they choose. I will not, however, invest the time or money into something I have to force them into.

>

Pefectly said. I tell my oldest sometimes him being 20 sorry you had to the first. He is like you're just to soft now. I can tell you I love all three of my kids equally, but my oldest and I have a special bond the others dont.

> @DZClark said:

> > @CJPenny said:

> > Wow, I used to work junior golf tournaments as a summer job, and the parents of the better players would almost all be in the 50+ range. Won't comment on parenting since I'm not a parent, but I'd be shocked if a large portion of today's new pros and high profile college golfers didn't have at least one parent in the one of the highest categories.

>

> Interesting view here, one that I am actually living. Kids ranging in age from 25 to 1 year (in 11 days). I will tell you now that I am 48 years old that my patience level with my kids is so much higher now than with my oldest. Also, I have more time to "invest" in my kids now. When my oldest was growing up I was forced to work as much as possible to pay the bills (or it seemed like it to my young self at the time). Now, I have more financial security I can afford to work from home, take the time, join the country club, etc. all things that put the younger ones in a much better position to succeed at a sport like golf.

> Also, less of my identity is tied up in how well they do at a sport than when I was younger. My oldest son was a soccer player and I loved when he succeeded because it made him feel good, I told myself. But in reality, he being one of the best on the team meant I had done something right. Now, I just want my daughters to be happy. My hope is they will be happy winning and if someone is better, they will want to improve, but I can't make that decision for them.

> I will and am willing to invest the time and money in an equal amount as they are to achieving success in whatever they choose. I will not, however, invest the time or money into something I have to force them into.

>

That's some serious self awareness there. Bravo.

> @Tugu said:

> > @DZClark said:

> > > @CJPenny said:

> > > Wow, I used to work junior golf tournaments as a summer job, and the parents of the better players would almost all be in the 50+ range. Won't comment on parenting since I'm not a parent, but I'd be shocked if a large portion of today's new pros and high profile college golfers didn't have at least one parent in the one of the highest categories.

> >

> > Interesting view here, one that I am actually living. Kids ranging in age from 25 to 1 year (in 11 days). I will tell you now that I am 48 years old that my patience level with my kids is so much higher now than with my oldest. Also, I have more time to "invest" in my kids now. When my oldest was growing up I was forced to work as much as possible to pay the bills (or it seemed like it to my young self at the time). Now, I have more financial security I can afford to work from home, take the time, join the country club, etc. all things that put the younger ones in a much better position to succeed at a sport like golf.

> > Also, less of my identity is tied up in how well they do at a sport than when I was younger. My oldest son was a soccer player and I loved when he succeeded because it made him feel good, I told myself. But in reality, he being one of the best on the team meant I had done something right. Now, I just want my daughters to be happy. My hope is they will be happy winning and if someone is better, they will want to improve, but I can't make that decision for them.

> > I will and am willing to invest the time and money in an equal amount as they are to achieving success in whatever they choose. I will not, however, invest the time or money into something I have to force them into.

> >

> That's some serious self awareness there. Bravo.

>

One of the only good things about getting older is you do learn a few things. That and not hitting it as far offline......because you lose distance!

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> > @DZClark said:

> > > @CJPenny said:

> > > Wow, I used to work junior golf tournaments as a summer job, and the parents of the better players would almost all be in the 50+ range. Won't comment on parenting since I'm not a parent, but I'd be shocked if a large portion of today's new pros and high profile college golfers didn't have at least one parent in the one of the highest categories.

> >

> > Interesting view here, one that I am actually living. Kids ranging in age from 25 to 1 year (in 11 days). I will tell you now that I am 48 years old that my patience level with my kids is so much higher now than with my oldest. Also, I have more time to "invest" in my kids now. When my oldest was growing up I was forced to work as much as possible to pay the bills (or it seemed like it to my young self at the time). Now, I have more financial security I can afford to work from home, take the time, join the country club, etc. all things that put the younger ones in a much better position to succeed at a sport like golf.

> > Also, less of my identity is tied up in how well they do at a sport than when I was younger. My oldest son was a soccer player and I loved when he succeeded because it made him feel good, I told myself. But in reality, he being one of the best on the team meant I had done something right. Now, I just want my daughters to be happy. My hope is they will be happy winning and if someone is better, they will want to improve, but I can't make that decision for them.

> > I will and am willing to invest the time and money in an equal amount as they are to achieving success in whatever they choose. I will not, however, invest the time or money into something I have to force them into.

> >

>

> Pefectly said. I tell my oldest sometimes him being 20 sorry you had to the first. He is like you're just to soft now. I can tell you I love all three of my kids equally, but my oldest and I have a special bond the others dont.

My oldest is a boy, the two youngest are girls. Son and I have a bond, but the girls are just different. I have learned to look at the world differently now, and they are both under 5.

My son said the other dad "Dad, why didn't you force me to play golf when I was younger." I could have almost slapped him upside the head. I reminded him I tied to get him to go to the course with me every single day and he never wanted to. Always wanted to do something more "cool" than the old man sport. It was funny because now he sees how great this sport is and is always encouraging his sister to spend more time on the course.

• Like 1