2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pro players use of Social Media, and golf online in general.

Hankshank

> @Aaronwilson_95 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @ray9898 said:

> > > A player would be an idiot to try to open up and be 'real' these days on social media. People now share information differently because people consume it differently. Too many people looking to be offended and too many trolls waiting to dissect every word out there. Who wants to take the chance of speaking one wrong word that someone can misconstrue into some great outrage that goes directly to your sponsors? Who wants to listen to people pick apart everything you do and insult you and sometimes your family? Who wants to miss the next PC hot topic and have the trolls make it go viral?

> > >

> > > It is probably easier to post a video of you swimming with a dolphin or eating a big azz steak.

> >

> >

> >

> > It's not easier "just to post a video." It speak volumes of the "look at me" movement. Hey, I like to watch these guys hit golf shots and do things on a golf course that we fans really appreciate. You would think this would be enough attention for these guys.

> >

> >

> > As for watching Rory swimming with a dolphin, Jordan being spooked out by the Halloween decorations at True Value Hardware, Harris English being chased around by a goat at the petting zoo or Ricky acting like he's falling into Niagara Falls (the Canadian side) - I can take it or leave it.

>

>

>

> This is interesting granted I agree with youth some extent BUT Michael Phelps talked about this a little bit through his time and what I’ve picked up. He always thought he was a machine and never really anything more than that too a lot of people which caused some mental illness for him. Under that logic I can see why pga players will post about stuff other than golf because they don’t likely love only talking about golf and want too feel like real people. A lot of them have given everything they have to get to that point in life and given up lots of other things in their life to chase their dreams. I could imagine it feels a bit empty once you’re there and realize you don’t have a ton of people to celebrate it with.

Dont know much abot swimming, but golf used to be heavily interesting to online top pros in the 00’s. And if you look at all the guys like Arnie, Jack, Faldo, Langer, they did not exactly get fed up with golf growing older, rather the opposite. The own game, what happens in the golf world. I am pretty sure there in no fatigue about golf in most players. I think the trolls scare them away. And possibly, some get stressed about letting people know what goes on in their golf brains. But when they talk about their golf, they get interesting. Remember that little guy (probably a teenager now) that asked eg Rory a lot of straightforward golf questions to the guys, splendid.

> @lowheel said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > Twitter is the sewer of the internet.

> > >

> > >

> > > Instagram is the pond scum of the internet.

> >

> > What does that make reddit and the other 4chan type places?

>

> they get more news stories right than MSM which is pretty telling

There are no more news stories. There are only various POV narratives on the events we used to call news. Journalism is no longer practiced in today's world, it has become obsolete. There is not even a pretense of objectivity, no separation between news & opinion. That's why most people get what passes for "news" from social media rather than MSM. Given the state of journalism, one is as valid as the other. Might as well read the narrative you like rather than pretend you are getting objectivity from the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Fox, etc

> @jonsnow said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > > Twitter is the sewer of the internet.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Instagram is the pond scum of the internet.

> > >

> > > What does that make reddit and the other 4chan type places?

> >

> > they get more news stories right than MSM which is pretty telling

>

> There are no more news stories. There are only various POV narratives on the events we used to call news. Journalism is no longer practiced in today's world, it has become obsolete. There is not even a pretense of objectivity, no separation between news & opinion. That's why most people get what passes for "news" from social media rather than MSM. Given the state of journalism, one is as valid as the other. Might as well read the narrative you like rather than pretend you are getting objectivity from the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Fox, etc

its been like this for 40-50 years its just that now the masks are off... its beautiful watching people throw away all their ethics and publishing standards and expose themselves for all to see.

> @lowheel said:

> > @jonsnow said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > > > Twitter is the sewer of the internet.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Instagram is the pond scum of the internet.

> > > >

> > > > What does that make reddit and the other 4chan type places?

> > >

> > > they get more news stories right than MSM which is pretty telling

> >

> > There are no more news stories. There are only various POV narratives on the events we used to call news. Journalism is no longer practiced in today's world, it has become obsolete. There is not even a pretense of objectivity, no separation between news & opinion. That's why most people get what passes for "news" from social media rather than MSM. Given the state of journalism, one is as valid as the other. Might as well read the narrative you like rather than pretend you are getting objectivity from the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Fox, etc

>

> its been like this for 40-50 years its just that now the masks are off... its beautiful watching people throw away all their ethics and publishing standards and expose themselves for all to see.

You say that as if modern outlets ever had publishing standards to start with, lol.

> @lowheel said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > Rory’s social media is one of the worst examples. Totally corporate and bland and meh.

>

> and if he spoke his mind on various subjects hed get crucified.He cant win so he wont play. Social media is a land of wolves now, you have to have stones to be yourself because one small vocal segment of society wants diversity in everything except thought...

>

> 9lle7svhhepl.png

>

How dare you share your opinion, xir!

> @Krt22 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > @jonsnow said:

> > > > > > > Twitter is the sewer of the internet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Instagram is the pond scum of the internet.

> > > > >

> > > > > What does that make reddit and the other 4chan type places?

> > > >

> > > > they get more news stories right than MSM which is pretty telling

> > >

> > > There are no more news stories. There are only various POV narratives on the events we used to call news. Journalism is no longer practiced in today's world, it has become obsolete. There is not even a pretense of objectivity, no separation between news & opinion. That's why most people get what passes for "news" from social media rather than MSM. Given the state of journalism, one is as valid as the other. Might as well read the narrative you like rather than pretend you are getting objectivity from the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Fox, etc

> >

> > its been like this for 40-50 years its just that now the masks are off... its beautiful watching people throw away all their ethics and publishing standards and expose themselves for all to see.

>

> You say that as if modern outlets ever had publishing standards to start with, lol.

that was my point. standards and norms lol. "Fact checkers" is the funniest thing in recent years...

If I was a Pro golfer I would not have anything to do with social media under my official name but rather I'd create an alias and drop all sorts of bombs online, like a true class clown. I'd give the most absurd interviews and let the disdain for my celebrity status shine brightly. No "growing my brand" (makes me queasy just typing the phrase) or "connecting with my fans" - yuck, just plain yuck! I'd sign autographs and do charity events and that would be it, face-to-face stuff only. I have never sent a tweet in my life and no agent promising millions more if I participated would ever convince me to do so.

As spoken already, there's nothing real to be gained from following sports celebrities on social media. In my opinion there's nothing at all to be gained from social media on a whole. I only use Instagram (with fake profile haha) to laugh at cat pictures and a couple golf related things...automotive p o r n is great too. There's about 9,784,988 selfies of chicks and dudes posing during a gym workout and I've yet to be (insert the most over-used buzz word ever) EMPOWERED by any of them. Aaargh just go away people!

Worship the art, not the artist - worship the play, not the player. I love watching these professional guys and gals play every weekend but that's as far as it goes for me.