Anybody gaming Srixon Z-Forged irons?

Andus

I just bought a combo set of Srixon irons. 9-PW in the Z-Forged and 4-8 in the 785. Never really hear much about the Srixon blade so I was wondering if anybody is using them and their thoughts. I’m currently playing a set of MP20 5-PW MBs and love them, but I can definitely use the extra help.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

There are a few guys on here who play the Z-Forged.

I'm playing a full set of 785s but hit the Z-Forged at a demo day this summer and could have easily gone with a full set of those. I just ended up finding a good deal on the 785s.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

From what I can tell, it's one of the longest heel to toe bladed iron which should help quite a bit with mishits, but with them only in the 9 and PW I'm pretty sure a 20 handicapper could play a bladed wedge.

Pro V1x

I dont think the Z Forged is quite as long heel to toe as the 965, but I demoed the 6i only and thought it was super easy to hit. From the top it doesn't looks like a scary blade at all... If I tripped on a pile of cash, I'd scoop a whole set just for fun. Only difference I see in the 785 6i is a little more offset, to my eye. The sole is more narrow on the Z Forged as well...

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Yeah I think for a picker or shallow player the Z Forged might actually be easier to play than the 785. Both great irons. IMO they went too big in the scoring irons for both sets - at least the Z should be smaller to create a bit more difference. The performance is what matters though and both are great sets.

I have a steeper attack angle so I think that's part of the reason they worked so well for me. Agreed, those are some amazing feeling irons.. The MP20 MB is really hard to beat, I can't think of anything. But at this point I'm accepting that I can definitely use a bit more help.

Pro V1x

... I have 4 sets of irons I played last year. P790, P760, Forged Tours and Z Forged. My favorites are the P790's but they were problematic on several very hard, fast desert courses in Phoenix so I picked up the P760's. tha spun more and held those greens I have always loved the Cobra's but found a deal on the Z Forged so I picked up a set last spring. I really hate when people describe a solid piece of metal with zero perimeter weighting a "forgiving MB" because there is no such thing. But I will admit the Z Forged are a little less penal than other MB's I have played. The Z Forged are my fun set and I only play them occasionally to remind myself what playing a MB is like. Love the feel, turf interaction and over all playability but once I get past the 8 iron I start missing my more forgiving players mid/long irons.

... So that said, IF I were going to play MB's full time, the Z Forged would be my #1 choice. A hair longer heel to toe than ideal for my tastes, but everything else about their look is perfect to my eye. Just beautiful at address with an ideal shape, thin top line and thin sole. They are hard to beat.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Nice, I've really wanted to buy a set of the P760s but I have a hard time dropping $1400 on brand new, so hopefully something in my specs pops up here or ebay. I'm coming from MP20 MBs and I absolutely love them, but I get penalized too hard from 7 iron down when I miss the center (which is every other strike). I only have the Z forged coming in 9 & PW so I have no worries that I'll be able to hit these pretty well, but I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion.

Pro V1x

Have had Z forged in bag for past season. Love them. Play. 5-W, don't find them hard to hit at all. Bag 4 iron occasionally when it's windy, otherwise use 4 hybrid for extra height. Feel is great, shot shaping pretty easy. Find I can flight them down or up when I need to, which I love. With blades I find bad shots are a bit worse but good shots are much better. So sticking with them for forseeable future. Also use RTX 4 wedges, which work well as a set with Z forged.

The 965 are probably the most forgiving of the lot. I would say if you struggle to get height out of your irons they aren't the best though. They're meant for higher swing speeds and people that balloon the ball IMO. The 765 are much easier to elevate for average ball strikers.

I only demoed the Z Forged 6i with the Modus 120x, but I was honestly blown away at how easy it was to hit... Great looking from the top as well, I could see mixing these with some 785s at some point for sure... I consider myself a pretty good ball striker, too, but the Z forged felt easier to me than say the 945s by a mile.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I bought a set of 945 heads off BST to try out. Built the 6i and it was... weird. Low lefts all day. It was horrid. Hit it back to back with a couple of other heads including the 785 and it was hot trash. Don't know if something was up with the lie or what but I hated it. Z Forged and 785 are $$$.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to them considering I LOVED the 745s, just not the top line so much... they just didn't resemble the feel at all. I tried the 785s with some C Taper 130X which actually felt ok, but too much shaft for me realistically, then some PX 6.0 but don't like the low flight in the 4 and 5 irons, so I have some Modus 120s coming for the 785s. Just can't beat the feel with those shafts and heads for me, but the J15s will be hard to beat! Even the Modus 120x in the Z Forged felt like butter...

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I went to my local store to have a look at the current iron options and had no intention of buying anything. Tested 790’s with DG 120’s, we’re ok but was over drawing them and spin was way low, flight seemed quite unpredictable. They had the 785’s on offier though only with modus 105 where I’ve been a 120 player for the last 4 years or so. Was in two minds as was hitting them back to back with my old J40 DPC’s with 120’s. Was getting a few more yards but was undecided. The fitter then mentioned he had a combo set out back, 785 3 to 6 then Z Forged 7 to PW. Thought I’d give them a hit. Immediately the difference was noticeable, spin was up, ball flighted a touch higher and was getting another 7-8 yards out of them. Dispersion went down both left to right and front to back. Walked out with new irons in the bag. I was a touch reticent so swapped back and forth with the J40’s to ensure the result was right and each time the Zs started more on line with noticeable yardage difference. Took them straight to the club and hit a good 200 balls (no woods) and am in love, even the 3 iron is useable for me (785). The best thing for me was the control with the PW, I spent some time in our short game area and pitching the the wedge was so much more controlled than with the DPC’s, a more heavy hit than jumpy as with the J40’s. Am playing night golf on Wednesday so looking forward to giving them a once over on the course. Sorry for the long post, I always appreciate when others go into detail and maybe this will help someone!

That's awesome to hear! I only went for the 9 and PW in the Z-Forged as I am looking for some more forgiveness throughout the set, but if I wasn't coming from a set (5-PW) in blades, I probably would be gaming a similar set to you.

Pro V1x

Honestly, I don’t know if it’s about how I deliver the club at impact but i was getting better numbers with the Z 7 iron than I was with the 790. I know it had a different shaft so not apples for apples but spin was better and just fit me better. The thing for me is that I play off extremely tight fairways and fast greens so I need the launch and spin more than added distance, to get both will be a dream. Here’s to hoping that on course is the same as on Quad.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been gaming a combo set of 585/785/Z-Forged for the past year or so and absolutely love them. I am kicking around the idea of modifying the combo, though. Maybe go U85 in 4-iron, 785 5-iron and Z-Forged 6 to PW.

I absolutely LOVE what Srixon has done with their equipment evolution over the last several years - great quality, sexy aesthetics and just minor updates every 2 years. The irons are just consistent, which is what I love the most about them. I know what kind of yardages I'm going to get from them day in and day out.

• Like 1