Bradley Hughes, Impact, the truth about your swing.

mpluis

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jobu' timestamp='1384353543' post='8142380']
He really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and he spends at least 2 minutes every video trashing players with better professional records.
[/quote]

Serious question: If you disagree with what everyone says on every thread, then why come here? I'm not saying that your criticism is necessarily wrong, but if this is how you feel, I just see no reason why you would have any interest in posting or reading the posts on here. After all, aren't you convinced that these threads are all full of bad advice?

Took 2 video lessons from Mr. Hughes. He is a protoge of John "Lag" Erickson who has a website called Advanced Ball Striking. He (Erickson) seems to have created a legend of himself as a ballstriker on the likes of Ben Hogan. Mr. Hughes is nice enough and I'm sure has a world of knowledge, but all he was able to do for me was send me these videos of prepackaged drills that they run everyone thru regardless of their swing issues. For example, everyone starts with drill #1, then drill #2, etc. My goal was to flatten my downswing plane which is why I went to him, but what I got was not what I had hoped.

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1384363688' post='8143318']
Took 2 video lessons from Mr. Hughes. He is a protoge of John "Lag" Erickson who has a website called Advanced Ball Striking. He (Erickson) seems to have created a legend of himself as a ballstriker on the likes of Ben Hogan. Mr. Hughes is nice enough and I'm sure has a world of knowledge, but all he was able to do for me was send me these videos of prepackaged drills that they run everyone thru regardless of their swing issues. For example, everyone starts with drill #1, then drill #2, etc. My goal was to flatten my downswing plane which is why I went to him, but what I got was not what I had hoped.
[/quote]

That sounds very disappointing, I have been taking 'Swingpal' lessons from Dan Carragher (iteachgolf on here) and couldn't recomend him/them highly enough.

Neil

Mizuno Mp630
Xhot 3 deep 14.5
SLDR 17 deg hybrid
Ping g15 20 deg hybrid
Callaway XR pro 5 - pw
callaway X forged 48
Callway X tour 52 & 58
Nike Method Mod 90

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1384363688' post='8143318']
[/quote]

This video is a great lesson on how to flatten your swing plane, also Dufner video shows how to "drive" the down swing from the middle of your body "hips" in tandem with your arms. If you have a video camera you could teach yourself, that's what i do.

He really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and he spends at least 2 minutes every video trashing players with better professional records.
[/quote]

It looks like you've figured it all out tough guy. Why don't you show us your swing so we can all get educated/entertained.

[/quote][size=4]
Well, I’ll wade in since I’m pretty sure Bradley Hughes is at the Australia Masters which he’s actually won twice.[/size][size=4]
Let’s see. Bradley Hughes has played as a Professional in Australia, Japan Tour, USPGA Tour, European Tour, Asian Tour, and probably some more I don’t know. [/size][size=4]
Here from Bradley’s site: bradleyhughesgolf.com is a list of the highlights of his career. [/size][size=4]
Amateur Achievements:[/size][size=4]
1982 Youngest person to play in a Major Australian PGA event (Victorian Open)[/size][size=4]
1984 Doug Sanders International Australasian Champion[/size][size=4]
1984 Doug Sanders International World Championship 3rd Place (Aberdeen,Scotland)[/size][size=4]
1987 Victorian Junior Champion[/size][size=4]
1987 Victorian Amateur Champion[/size][size=4]
1987 Leading Amateur Australian Open[/size][size=4]
1988 Leading Amateur Australian Masters[/size][size=4]
1988 Victorian Amateur Champion[/size][size=4]
1988 New Zealand Amateur Strokeplay[/size][size=4]
1988 New Zealand Amateur Champion[/size][size=4]
Amateur Teams:[/size][size=4]
1983-84-85-86-87 Victorian Junior Team[/size][size=4]
1986-87-88 Victorian Amateur Team[/size][size=4]
1987 Australian representative Asia Pacific Championship (Hua Hin, Thailand)[/size][size=4]
1987 Australian representative Claire Higson Trophy ( Tasmania, Aust) [/size][size=4]
1988 Australian representative Sloan Morpeth Trophy (Auckland, New Zealand)[/size][size=4]
1988 Australian representative Eisenhower Cup World Amateur (Stockholm, Sweden)[/size][size=4]
[i]Major Professional Victories[/i]:[/size][size=4]
1988 Western Australian Open[/size][size=4]
1991 South Australian PGA Championship[/size][size=4]
1993 Australian Masters[/size][size=4]
1996 Tournament Players Championship of Australia[/size][size=4]
1998 Australian Masters[/size][size=4]
2004 Nationwide Tour Wichita Open[/size][size=4]
plus 25 other various pro-am events and professional tournaments of a state or local level[/size][size=4]
[i]Runner Up Finishes as a professional[/i]:[/size][size=4]
1989 New South Wales Open (Australia)[/size][size=4]
1991 Tasmanian Open (Australia)[/size][size=4]
1991 Windsor Classic (Canada)[/size][size=4]
1992 Palm Meadows Cup (Australia)[/size][size=4]
1992 Daiwa KBC Championship (Japan)[/size][size=4]
1993 Victorian Open (Australia)[/size][size=4]
1994 TPC of Australia [/size][size=4]
1996 Australian Masters[/size][size=4]
1998 CVS Charity Classic (US PGA Tour)[/size][size=4]
1999 Kemper Open (US PGA Tour)[/size][size=4]
2004 New Zealand PGA (Nationwide Tour)[/size][size=4]
2006 Legend Financial Classic (Nationwide Tour)[/size][size=4]
Top 10 finishes as a professional 3rd-10th place:[/size][size=4]
40 times finished 3rd through 10th in official PGA Tour events in Australia, Europe, Japan and The United States[/size][size=4]
Team Events:[/size][size=4]
1994 International Team Member Presidents Cup[/size][size=4]
1996 Australian Team World Cup of Golf with Stuart Appleby[/size][size=4]
1997 Australian Team World Cup of Golf with Wayne Riley[/size][size=4]
Tour Membership:[/size][size=4]
Australian PGA Tour 1988 - present[/size][size=4]
European PGA Tour 1990, 1994 -1997[/size][size=4]
Japan PGA Tour 1992-1994[/size][size=4]
USPGA Tour 1997 - 2002, 2005[/size][size=4]
Nationwide Tour 1995 - 1996, 2003 - 2004, 2006 - 2008[/size][size=4]
PGA Of Australia Member since 1988[/size][size=4]
PGA of America Member since 1998[/size]
[size=4]
Also, this: Playing in Major Championships is the ultimate stage for the aspiring or seasoned professional golfer.[/size][size=4]
I have been fortunate to compete in 10 Major Championships[/size][size=4]
The Masters 1998[/size][size=4]
United States Open 1994- 1995- 1997- 1999[/size][size=4]
British Open 1994- 1996- 1999- 2006[/size][size=4]
United States PGA 1999[/size][size=4]
[/size][size=4]
From his site on fun facts:[/size][size=4]
My fun fact from my Major experience-- I birdied my very first hole in a US Open at Oakmont (1994)[/size][size=4]
I birdied my very first hole in a British Open at Turnberry (1994) and I birdied my very first hole in The Masters at Augusta National (1998).[/size]
[size=4]
In light of these facts I would pretty much bet, however much you are comfortable losing, that Bradley Hughes knows a lot more about the golf swing and a golf swing that repeats under the toughest of pressure the professional golfing tournament world can throw at him than most people. [/size][size=4]
I think he’s had coaching from the whole galaxy of teaching/coaching stars of the last 25 years. I think he may know something about the golf swing. [/size][size=4]
Then again maybe not. But there’s an old saying that the “proof is in the pudding” and Hughes’ pudding came out pretty good. He didn’t just fall off a turnip truck at a golf course and decide “oh, I’m a pro, I know about the golf swing”. [/size][size=4]
I think he’s earned enough respect for, at least me, to hear him out. He may not be a polished, slick, salesman but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know anything about the golf swing. I’d be pretty proud of a resume like that. [/size][size=4]
If you don’t like the “method” or the “messenger” that’s something else. You may not even be able to understand what he’s talking about. You may totally get it. Either way, I don’t care. I just think he deserves some respect. [/size]

[quote name='MacMan' timestamp='1384398724' post='8146380']
[/quote]
[size=4]Well, I’ll wade in since I’m pretty sure Bradley Hughes is at the Australia Masters which he’s actually won twice.[/size]
[size=4]Let’s see. Bradley Hughes has played as a Professional in Australia, Japan Tour, USPGA Tour, European Tour, Asian Tour, and probably some more I don’t know. [/size]
[size=4]Here from Bradley’s site: bradleyhughesgolf.com is a list of the highlights of his career. [/size]
[size=4]Amateur Achievements:[/size]
[size=4]1982 Youngest person to play in a Major Australian PGA event (Victorian Open)[/size]
[size=4]1984 Doug Sanders International Australasian Champion[/size]
[size=4]1984 Doug Sanders International World Championship 3rd Place (Aberdeen,Scotland)[/size]
[size=4]1987 Victorian Junior Champion[/size]
[size=4]1987 Victorian Amateur Champion[/size]
[size=4]1987 Leading Amateur Australian Open[/size]
[size=4]1988 Leading Amateur Australian Masters[/size]
[size=4]1988 Victorian Amateur Champion[/size]
[size=4]1988 New Zealand Amateur Strokeplay[/size]
[size=4]1988 New Zealand Amateur Champion[/size]
[size=4]Amateur Teams:[/size]
[size=4]1983-84-85-86-87 Victorian Junior Team[/size]
[size=4]1986-87-88 Victorian Amateur Team[/size]
[size=4]1987 Australian representative Asia Pacific Championship (Hua Hin, Thailand)[/size]
[size=4]1987 Australian representative Claire Higson Trophy ( Tasmania, Aust) [/size]
[size=4]1988 Australian representative Sloan Morpeth Trophy (Auckland, New Zealand)[/size]
[size=4]1988 Australian representative Eisenhower Cup World Amateur (Stockholm, Sweden)[/size]
[size=4][i]Major Professional Victories[/i]:[/size]
[size=4]1988 Western Australian Open[/size]
[size=4]1991 South Australian PGA Championship[/size]
[size=4]1993 Australian Masters[/size]
[size=4]1996 Tournament Players Championship of Australia[/size]
[size=4]1998 Australian Masters[/size]
[size=4]2004 Nationwide Tour Wichita Open[/size]
[size=4]plus 25 other various pro-am events and professional tournaments of a state or local level[/size]
[size=4][i]Runner Up Finishes as a professional[/i]:[/size]
[size=4]1989 New South Wales Open (Australia)[/size]
[size=4]1991 Tasmanian Open (Australia)[/size]
[size=4]1991 Windsor Classic (Canada)[/size]
[size=4]1992 Palm Meadows Cup (Australia)[/size]
[size=4]1992 Daiwa KBC Championship (Japan)[/size]
[size=4]1993 Victorian Open (Australia)[/size]
[size=4]1994 TPC of Australia [/size]
[size=4]1996 Australian Masters[/size]
[size=4]1998 CVS Charity Classic (US PGA Tour)[/size]
[size=4]1999 Kemper Open (US PGA Tour)[/size]
[size=4]2004 New Zealand PGA (Nationwide Tour)[/size]
[size=4]2006 Legend Financial Classic (Nationwide Tour)[/size]
[size=4]Top 10 finishes as a professional 3rd-10th place:[/size]
[size=4]40 times finished 3rd through 10th in official PGA Tour events in Australia, Europe, Japan and The United States[/size]
[size=4]Team Events:[/size]
[size=4]1994 International Team Member Presidents Cup[/size]
[size=4]1996 Australian Team World Cup of Golf with Stuart Appleby[/size]
[size=4]1997 Australian Team World Cup of Golf with Wayne Riley[/size]
[size=4]Tour Membership:[/size]
[size=4]Australian PGA Tour 1988 - present[/size]
[size=4]European PGA Tour 1990, 1994 -1997[/size]
[size=4]Japan PGA Tour 1992-1994[/size]
[size=4]USPGA Tour 1997 - 2002, 2005[/size]
[size=4]Nationwide Tour 1995 - 1996, 2003 - 2004, 2006 - 2008[/size]
[size=4]PGA Of Australia Member since 1988[/size]
[size=4]PGA of America Member since 1998[/size]

[size=4]Also, this: Playing in Major Championships is the ultimate stage for the aspiring or seasoned professional golfer.[/size]
[size=4]I have been fortunate to compete in 10 Major Championships[/size]
[size=4]The Masters 1998[/size]
[size=4]United States Open 1994- 1995- 1997- 1999[/size]
[size=4]British Open 1994- 1996- 1999- 2006[/size]
[size=4]United States PGA 1999[/size]

[size=4]From his site on fun facts:[/size]
[size=4]My fun fact from my Major experience-- I birdied my very first hole in a US Open at Oakmont (1994)[/size]
[size=4]I birdied my very first hole in a British Open at Turnberry (1994) and I birdied my very first hole in The Masters at Augusta National (1998).[/size]

[size=4]In light of these facts I would pretty much bet, however much you are comfortable losing, that Bradley Hughes knows a lot more about the golf swing and a golf swing that repeats under the toughest of pressure the professional golfing tournament world can throw at him than most people. [/size]
[size=4]I think he’s had coaching from the whole galaxy of teaching/coaching stars of the last 25 years. I think he may know something about the golf swing. [/size]
[size=4]Then again maybe not. But there’s an old saying that the “proof is in the pudding” and Hughes’ pudding came out pretty good. He didn’t just fall off a turnip truck at a golf course and decide “oh, I’m a pro, I know about the golf swing”. [/size]
[size=4]I think he’s earned enough respect for, at least me, to hear him out. He may not be a polished, slick, salesman but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know anything about the golf swing. I’d be pretty proud of a resume like that. [/size]
[size=4]If you don’t like the “method” or the “messenger” that’s something else. You may not even be able to understand what he’s talking about. You may totally get it. Either way, I don’t care. I just think he deserves some respect. [/size]
[/quote]

amen brother

I've watched the videos and come to the conclusion that Bradley knows what he's talking about. I'll give a nod to those that think there is a lot of unneccesary minutia in his videos....but that's ok too. Perfecting his communicative abilities will come with more experience.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1384441951' post='8147912']
He is... apparently Allenby told him he's been hitting it farther than ever before since working with Bradley
[/quote]

When did they start working together? I followed Allenby for a few holes earlier this year and he hit some extremely poor shots for a pro...the snappiest snap hook I have ever seen a pro hit...and seemed insanely frustrated. Dude can play though will be interesting to see how he does.

[quote name='bmellisen' timestamp='1384458573' post='8149092']
He is... apparently Allenby told him he's been hitting it farther than ever before since working with Bradley
[/quote]

When did they start working together? I followed Allenby for a few holes earlier this year and he hit some extremely poor shots for a pro...the snappiest snap hook I have ever seen a pro hit...and seemed insanely frustrated. Dude can play though will be interesting to see how he does.
[/quote]

Very recently.

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1384446849' post='8148260']
I've watched the videos and come to the conclusion that Bradley knows what he's talking about. I'll give a nod to those that think there is a lot of unneccesary minutia in his videos....but that's ok too. Perfecting his communicative abilities will come with more experience.
[/quote]

Me too. I've been working on flattening my downswing lately and have watched a lot of his stuff. I've really enjoyed what he has to say.

[/quote]

[/quote]

3 months ago.

As a word of caution to anyone wading into these waters: PLEASE understand that you NEED to pair that laying down of the shaft with some sort of "tumble" into impact. You can't just rotate out of Dodge with the club flattening below plane and expect solid results. Mr. Hughes says something in the first video (without explaining it in depth) that's key. That feeling of a "hook" entry and a "slice" exit, or opposing forces...when the club is shallowing that much you need to know how to unload all of that stored energy into the ball. If not, you're way underneath and have almost no chance to do anything other than fight a HUGE two way miss.

The golf swing, no matter what sort of aesthetic preferences you have, has to have a balance of shallowing and steepening elements.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[/quote]

[/quote]

From what I've heard and knowing what he's working on, those snaphooks will be a thing of the past if they aren't already.

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1384531961' post='8153368']
As a word of caution to anyone wading into these waters: PLEASE understand that you NEED to pair that laying down of the shaft with some sort of "tumble" into impact. You can't just rotate out of Dodge with the club flattening below plane and expect solid results. Mr. Hughes says something in the first video (without explaining it in depth) that's key. That feeling of a "hook" entry and a "slice" exit, or opposing forces...when the club is shallowing that much you need to know how to unload all of that stored energy into the ball. If not, you're way underneath and have almost no chance to do anything other than fight a HUGE two way miss.

The golf swing, no matter what sort of aesthetic preferences you have, has to have a balance of shallowing and steepening elements.
[/quote]

Great post. Especially last paragraph.

Lots of Callaway Stuff

Saw him working with Vijay Singh on the range after yesterday's round at the Aussie Masters.

Hughes shot 75/73 for a MC btw

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1384442641' post='8147982']
Has anyone been able to complete lag erickson's course and modules?
I would like to see a model swing besides erickson 's.
Bradley has great message but need to cut down the unnecessary redundant talk in his video's.
[/quote]

Grady Dickens has a pretty sweet move on the Dirt. But I think he's still on mod 4 or 5.