2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='runpuddrun' timestamp='1399666254' post='9264957']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1399665729' post='9264891']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1399661550' post='9264583']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1399660200' post='9264467']
[quote name='topr' timestamp='1399659741' post='9264423']
Total speculation on my part but I think Nike under estimated the demand for this club. I've never given Nike equipment a [s]second[/s] look at all until now. These are nice sticks especially for the guys teetering between a players CB and a GI...and way nicer looking than its predecessor. I think these have the potential of being one of their most successful offerings ever...if .
[/quote]

Agree 100%. If they budgeted production based on VRS Forged sales, then that might explain why they are in short supply. Theses look even better than VRS Forged, and the band has built a lot of momentum since then
[/quote]

When both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine said these were one of the best, if the not best, game improvement iron of the new models, probably people that normally would not look at Nike did and bought. I would hope in a month or two they would have a new supply of heads in and they would have regular shafts along with custom orders. I am still kicking myself for not getting a demo set at an EW for $800 in April. It was 5 - GW which is exactly what I want. I would then have the Project X PXi 5.5 shafts transfered from the VRS Forged to the CF's. The only thing that was holding me back was the wide soles on the wedges. I chunk my chip shots with wedges like that and one of the things I love about the VRS Forged is the feel and quality of shots around the green.
[/quote]

Local shop has a demo for I think $699, 5-PW I think, i forget, w/ DG Pro R300.

Haven't tried that shaft other than hitting it in a simulator. Anyone with specs and reviews on it?

True Temper site has the weight listed as 113.5-109? Which one is it?
[/quote]fantastic shaft. I was very surprised by it. I was set to get PXi but i absolutely loved the DG Pro. The Pro stands for progressive, meaning flighted.Very smooth shaft unlike the OG DG shaft.
[/quote]

I have a PXi 5.5 right now in my irons, great shaft. Good to hear about the DG Pro, I wouldn't expect a bad shaft at all from True Temper.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1399679135' post='9265991']
Has anything like this ever happened before?
[/quote]

When Callaway released the Diablo Forged there was signicant delays in availability because demand far exceeded the initial supply.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1399677553' post='9265863']
I sent a note to Nike yesterday asking about this. Here's their reply, verbatim.

"The quantity and demand for custom orders for Covert Forged irons have simply depleted us and we are doing everything possible to fulfill our consumers."
[/quote]

Yes, talked to my Nike rep today, sold out of the forged 2.0 heads. They did not expect the high-demand on these irons.

Late June, early July they will be available.

Got a set of the old VR-S forged coming in....pretty much as a result of this thread and what I have heard from some low handicaps. I tend to dig/drive so I don't mind the extra bounce. Looking forward to these irons for some extra forgiveness.

As far as the customer service issues....sounds like an easy fix and something that went unexpected from the first release of these irons.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1399578260' post='9258697']
I simply can't imagine that Nike is permanently sold out of this iron. I could see them being backordered, but sold out would be shocking.

Unless they are having production issues at Endo.

There won't be any new Nike iron introductions until fall, so it can't be discontinued.
[/quote]

Scott, when you say fall intro, do you mean released in fall or announced in fall for spring (jan/feb) release?

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1399768983' post='9270649']
I simply can't imagine that Nike is permanently sold out of this iron. I could see them being backordered, but sold out would be shocking.

There won't be any new Nike iron introductions until fall, so it can't be discontinued.
[/quote]

Scott, when you say fall intro, do you mean released in fall or announced in fall for spring (jan/feb) release?
[/quote]
I was told Fall release for the new blades.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1399770934' post='9270823'][quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1399768983' post='9270649']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I was told Fall release for the new blades. [/quote]

Just blades? Any other iron options? Im hopeful for a left handed set in the covert forged based on that nike chat a couple months back, but these issues at nike are making that look like a pipe dream.

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1399771895' post='9270895']
[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1399770934' post='9270823'][quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1399768983' post='9270649']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just blades? Any other iron options? Im hopeful for a left handed set in the covert forged based on that nike chat a couple months back, but these issues at nike are making that look like a pipe dream.
[/quote]
Blades were confirmed by my rep and the custom club dept. I was told the Covert Forged irons would not be coming back into stock at all. Lesmond was apparently told different by his rep according to his previous post (who knows which is correct at this point. Not trying to start an arguement with Lesmond in any way here.)

It was hinted at by the guy in custom that the blades would not be alone in the fall.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1399773834' post='9271079']
[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1399771895' post='9270895']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Blades were confirmed by my rep and the custom club dept. I was told the Covert Forged irons would not be coming back into stock at all. Lesmond was apparently told different by his rep according to his previous post (who knows which is correct at this point. Not trying to start an arguement with Lesmond in any way here.)

It was hinted at by the guy in custom that the blades would not be alone in the fall.
[/quote]

No argument for sure, he just told me that they could possibly have it available by July, not confirmed of course, so the answer is up in the air on the availability.I have

Good to know you and other members confirmed new blades in the Fall. Would be nice if they came in "tour finish" satin.

I guess there are a lot of people as happy as I am with mine? Best irons Ive ever used.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

If demand is that high then there's no way they are going to stop making them, unless they already improved them and want to release a new version.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

The next iron release will be in the fall, not a Jan/Feb. Same time frame the 2014 PC's were released.

The 2015 line is expected to be the largest product release ever for Nike, as their increased market share finally justifies additional prod lines and some lefty love...

I can also say that Nike at the HIGHEST level is aware of the CF shortage, and working diligently to fix the problem. I fully expect heads to be air shipped upon production

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1399851758' post='9275627']
The next iron release will be in the fall, not a Jan/Feb. Same time frame the 2014 PC's were released.

The 2015 line is expected to be the largest product release ever for Nike, as their increased market share finally justifies additional prod lines and some lefty love...

I can also say that Nike at the HIGHEST level is aware of the CF shortage, and working diligently to fix the problem. I fully expect heads to be air shipped upon production
[/quote]what highest level?

Changing...

[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1399807913' post='9272427']
I guess there are a lot of people as happy as I am with mine? Best irons Ive ever used.
[/quote]

I bought my set two weeks ago (nothing custom) and played them for the first time this past weekend. Love them! Plan on keeping them in the bag for several years.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway Rogue 17°, 21°
Mizuno Pro 225 (4-GW)
Bettinardi H2 54°, 58° Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='SD-Golfn' timestamp='1399919884' post='9280499']
[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1399807913' post='9272427']
[/quote]

I bought my set two weeks ago (nothing custom) and played them for the first time this past weekend. Love them! Plan on keeping them in the bag for several years.
[/quote]

I actually went back to my VRS forged from my 2014 pro combos. I forgot just how good these irons are..Distance control is AMAZING. Can hit it all over the face and flies within 3 or 4 yards of normal yardage. Crazy.

Thanks to this thread I scored a set of these on ebay last night, brand new 4-AW with DG Pro S300s. I've been delaying my purchase but knew I wanted the DG Pros, so knowing they aren't doing custom orders for an undetermined amount of time got my azz in gear. When I saw that the seller lives 2 suburbs over from me I knew it was meant to be :) I'm picking them up tonight and have league tomorrow night, so I'll report back with an on course review soon!

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

[quote name='Brick Tamland' timestamp='1400002017' post='9287215']
Thanks to this thread I scored a set of these on ebay last night, brand new 4-AW with DG Pro S300s. I've been delaying my purchase but knew I wanted the DG Pros, so knowing they aren't doing custom orders for an undetermined amount of time got my azz in gear. When I saw that the seller lives 2 suburbs over from me I knew it was meant to be :) I'm picking them up tonight and have league tomorrow night, so I'll report back with an on course review soon!
[/quote]that's awesome. They're fantastic irons and They'll be in my bag for a long time coming.

Changing...

Iv been struggling with mine, I had a set of VRS forged, standard NS Pro 950s, bought a set of CF same shaft and have been struggling, tried a CF 6-iron for a round yesterday with a DG R300, its like a different club for me, I really like the extra weight, just bought a set of R300s from my Pro shop had them fitted today, first round tomorrow, maybe Thurs....cant wait now, was on the verge of selling them and getting a set of EZ forged!!

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1400016484' post='9288903']
Iv been struggling with mine, I had a set of VRS forged, standard NS Pro 950s, bought a set of CF same shaft and have been struggling, tried a CF 6-iron for a round yesterday with a DG R300, its like a different club for me, I really like the extra weight, just bought a set of R300s from my Pro shop had them fitted today, first round tomorrow, maybe Thurs....cant wait now, was on the verge of selling them and getting a set of EZ forged!!
[/quote]

I find it very odd that you would struggle with the CF in the same setup as your VRS.

Have you checked to see if the lie angles are the same? Length? Swingweight?

yep had all that checked, exactly the same, standard loft, lie and length, in between selling my VRS forged and buying my CF I was using a set of Razr X tours with R300s in and was nailing those, should of ordered the CF in R300s but I thought as I was hitting the VRS great the CF would be fine, obviously the R300s suit me better, iv also tried the EZ forged with the NS Pro,...awful....yet with a R300 in...great....strange but true lol....just the CF look great, sound great and go miles!!...ok its cost me set of shafts, but not a lot as they bought the NS Pros of me....so now i'm a happy chap.... :smilie_nike: they even saved the grips.....

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Evnflow ER2

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1400025334' post='9289773']
yep had all that checked, exactly the same, standard loft, lie and length, in between selling my VRS forged and buying my CF I was using a set of Razr X tours with R300s in and was nailing those, should of ordered the CF in R300s but I thought as I was hitting the VRS great the CF would be fine, obviously the R300s suit me better, iv also tried the EZ forged with the NS Pro,...awful....yet with a R300 in...great....strange but true lol....just the CF look great, sound great and go miles!!...ok its cost me set of shafts, but not a lot as they bought the NS Pros of me....so now i'm a happy chap.... :smilie_nike: they even saved the grips.....
[/quote]

What exactly was off with the cf set up? Were you ballooning balls? Pushing or pulling? Too stiff of a shaft? I always heard that the feel on the nippons were incredible so curious to get your thoughts.

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='naths' timestamp='1400025334' post='9289773']
[/quote]

The VRS Forged and CF's actually have slightly different shafts. The VRS Forged has the high trajectory version of the shaft used in the CF's. When I went to Club Champion for a fitting, the fitter wanted to lower the trajectory and spin from the standard shaft in the VRS Forged. He also wanted a slightly heavier shaft. When I hit the Project X PXi 5.5, they gave me the lower trajectory and spin plus they felt so smooth. The KBS C-tapers did the same but just did not feel right.

Also when I looked at the whole set, I saw the short irons have a wider sole in the CF's. For me, that would change the feel as I have hit behind the ball with wide sole irons. That has me thinking of staying with the VRS Forged.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

TM_Hoyer.....I didn't know that about the shafts, interesting, I was hitting the CFs quite high but not as high as the VRS, but i'd lost almost a club in distance!, the flight of the R300s for me is great and i'm back to my normal 160-165 for a 7-iron, checked that on trackman today, my CF 7-iron R300 avg 161, CF 7-iron NS Pro reg...avg 152...so a club longer.....feel great, obviously i'v grown to prefer the extra 15 odd gms in weight....

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Evnflow ER2

Well it was a mixed bag with the new irons last night at league, as expected as I've only gotten through one bucket of balls on the range before putting them in play. First impressions are that I love the look and feel, but that they require a different (read: better) swing than the original AP1s with DGHL shafts I've been gaming the last 4 years. I got better results making a more aggressive swing that focused on hitting down through the ball, which shouldn't be at all surprising. It's going to take some time and range work to get comfortable and relearn distances, but in the long run I think it will be worth it for my game.

I have even greater respect for my AP1s as it took this change for me to realize just how much they were helping me on the course, and how absurdly easy it is to launch those clubs. That said, the feel of the CF when hit well is addicting and the turf interaction is much better.

On another note I played with one of the better players in my group and he's gaming a 13* G25 driver with DI-7S shaft cut down to around 43.5 inches that he was just murdering 300+ yards regularly. Boy was that eye opening!

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo