Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

These Irons look great. Couldn't resist and bought a set after getting a great deal.

Got them to the range and they were a total dud in my book. I don't hit a high ball at all and these were flying MILES high. Like PGA tour player high minus the distance. I think the stock shafts might be too light for me. I was heartbroken. I tried these out on a LM and the difference was the shaft, which I didn't find out til later (shame on me for not asking).

I don't feel like plopping down $200 to get them reshafted, gripped and a 1degree flat lie adjustment.

Anybody in the market for a set with 1 range session and 1 round on them? PM me.

I am really interested in these now, but would have to spend the money to have graphite put in them....hmmm...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Had'nt read this thread and I'm NO Nike fan! Untill ....

I Went for a fitting on the 14th with the intention to either reshaft my current MP 53's currently in DG S300 or purchase the 2014 TM tour Perfered CB with the proper shaft. Must of tried 15 to 20 different shaft / head combination, to mention a few MP54, JPX EZ forged & 825pro , Apex & Apex pro, Miura PP & 501, Cobra BIO , AP1 and Nike V_RS Covert 2.0 Forged.

Started out with the 53's to achieve a base (165 6i) and got better results with some combinations but I was blown away with the Nike in every way and here is the kicker I didnt know I was hitting the Nike at first because the fitter was just handing me clubs and switching out shafts depending on the numbers. The Nike 7i in a KBS V stiff resulted tighter dispersion and flew out to180. Feeling was great , I really felt that I was commpressing the ball and off center hit fell a bit shorter but nothing crazy. The Head looks clean shiny and appealing. There is something about the look at address.... to me it just made me feel like I could just pure it with out trying. Orderd 4-PW possibly may add the AW when I go back for the final lie adjustments. I am nervous about distance at both ends do I go 3Hy or 5 wood and the wedges will have to wait till I go outside. FYI I do not have a official Handicap but I shoot between 84-89. Let me end this ramble by saying this... give this club a try... I did and now I spent my Tax money allowence. GL.

[quote name='Nolesbl' timestamp='1395974528' post='8966171']
I am currently debating between this and the 714 ap2 as i have been eyeing titleist for the past two years. I just sold my ping s59's and now have no clubs so i need to make a decision fast. Anyone else in this boat? (Titleist vs. Nike Covert forged)
[/quote]

It was down to the AP2s and the Covert Forged for me. For me, these really are in different categories (player's vs GI). I ended up going with the Nike CF because of forgivness. I ultimately decided that GI was the way to for this seasons since work is going to limit my practice time this year.

Just keep in mind that the CF lofts are stronger and that they don't have as much bounce as the AP2s, so they might not work as well for steeper swings.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a set of these. I hit them extensively the other day with every shaft in the Nike fitting cart; DG Pro, KBS Tour, DG, and the Nippon. The DG Pro and the KBS gave me the best results with a slight edge in distance to the KBS Tour but little better dispersion with the DG Pro. I got a quote on both and the KBS are ~$10 more a club than the DG Pros, leaning towards the DGs. For those that have ordered, what shafts did you go with?

BTW, these were 10 yards longer than my current irons (first gen AP1s), better looking, better feeling, and nearly as forgiving. They're also about 5 yards longer than the JPX 825 Pros, which was the other iron I was strongly considering, almost as good looking, and noticeably more forgiving.

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

I went with DG XP X100 as I really liked those in another set of Nike iron heads... The CF's are the best iron I have hit in a while.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

To the owners of these clubs. What swing weights are you seeing in your sets. From what I recall they come stock at D0 with the nippons. That is a little light for my taste. My current set are all D4 and I feel comfortable at that.

Going with a heavier shaft increases swingweight correct? Not by much but a point or two I would assume

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

I got the stock Nippon stiff shaft which is 98g vs. the 121g of the S300 i was swinging in my MP-64'S. I feel like i can hit twice as good shots with half the effort. Yes it is light but once i got used to it, it feels like effortless power. And i swear i'm not as sore after a few rounds in a row. I love them.

Titleist TS4 driver
Titleist TS3 3 wood
Callaway Apex #3 Hybrid
Callaway Apex #4 Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW w/ TT Catalyst 100 6.0
Vokey SM7 58/54/50
[color=#333333]Scotty Cameron Newport 3[/color]

[quote name='Nolesbl' timestamp='1396064875' post='8973037']
[quote name='Nolesbl' timestamp='1396013104' post='8967727']
For anyone who has played with these CFs, have they lowered your scorecard any?
[/quote]

Any improvement in scores?
[/quote]

Not enough time to tell. A few scores is great but a noticeable difference over time will move the handicap. Spring is slow to come. Soon we will see.

I played a round with the 714 AP2s before I started looking at GI irons. They didnt offer enough help over the MP-64. They are certainly sweet, but if you are looking for more help off the clubface and more forgiveness the AP2 is not close IMO. As far as scoring i agree with easyyy, it will take a few months to know for sure but i am a solid 4 hdcp and i have shot high 70's all 5 rounds i have played with them and drove the ball like a monkey until i got the Covert 2.0 Tour driver on last Sat, and shot 76. :)

Titleist TS4 driver
Titleist TS3 3 wood
Callaway Apex #3 Hybrid
Callaway Apex #4 Hybrid
Vokey SM7 58/54/50

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1396033668' post='8970173']
XP is a very underrated shaft. I haven't seen it in a lot of carts but My friend had last years covert with xp in x stiff soft stepped once. Feels so solid
[/quote]

Obviously I agree. A little help with launch and spin, and a little lighter weight than std. Dyn. Gold X100. Perfect match for me the last couple of years.

[quote name='rodney24' timestamp='1396043480' post='8971105']
To the owners of these clubs. What swing weights are you seeing in your sets. From what I recall they come stock at D0 with the nippons. That is a little light for my taste. My current set are all D4 and I feel comfortable at that.

Going with a heavier shaft increases swingweight correct? Not by much but a point or two I would assume
[/quote]

I just grabbed a few to SW them... mine came factory installed with Dynamic Gold XP X100, all std. Nike length. SW's are now all D1.5-D2 range, however I did change out from the stock 2G Wraps to a Lamkin Tour Black Cord, which I assume is heavier than the 2G Wraps. Typically a heavier shaft will make SW higher, but it is dependent on the balance point of the shaft you're using too (KBS Tours for example).

No surprise these are well received, the previous Covert forged were awesome irons and these look to have been refined a bit.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Well i went to my PGA pro today to hit all three clubs again and see what the numbers said. Going into this my heart was set on the 714 Ap2's as i have been eyeing them for almost two years. My second choice would be the nike covert forged and third the AP1's as they are a little bigger than what im used to.

I first hit the Nike covert forged then the AP1s and then the AP2's.

Nike CF-- i hit about the same as i have before which was pretty good. They have a really good feel and the ball speed off the face was the fastest of the three clubs hit. (7I).

AP1--For some reason i just do not hit this club well. The best balls i hit with the AP1s weren't as good as some of the not so good swings i had with the Nike CF. At this point i have taken this club out of the running.

I then had him get me the 714 ap2.with the DG S300 shaft. I hit this club better than i did the AP1. When i hit it flush the feeling is awesome and the numbers were very competitive with the Nike CF. On my mistakes or my not as good swings i was penalized more with this club. I love the look and feel of this club immensely but the dispersion of my bad swings Will cost me more on my scorecard. My misses with the Nike CF had tighter dispersion and was less costly in terms of yardage reductions.

For this season as much as i wanted to be using Titleist AP2's i think i am going to put my ego aside and go with the Nike CF forged as they preformed better on my bad swings and about equal to the AP2s on my good ones. (This is new for me as in the past i have always managed to my best swings and not my worst as i am an optimist.) I hope to set personal bests in my game this year and have had to admit to myself i am not a good enough golfer to use the AP2's which is kind of a bittersweet/ humbling thing to admit. I should be able to get the new clubs later this week and i will let you know how i hit them on the driving range and the course. Before swinging this set of Irons i had never even considered Nike irons although the oven visit that our members here did intrigue me and pique my interest. Im a little nervous switching but am going to give Nike a try. I also was impressed with the nike staff coming on here to answer questions from us. Thanks for reading.

Excellent decision Noles, and it has nothing to do with how good you are. The CF is every bit the club the AP2 is. Congrats.

Titleist TS4 driver
Titleist TS3 3 wood
Callaway Apex #3 Hybrid
Callaway Apex #4 Hybrid
Vokey SM7 58/54/50

I've had my Covert Forged at the driving range (mats only) a number of times and am leaving Wednesday for my annual trip to SC for four days of golf. What I've learned at the DR is the 4-iron in this set with the NS 950gh shaft is so good, it will be replacing my G25 23* hybrid for the trip. Mistakes with the hybrid go left, sometimes big. Mistakes with the 4-iron go slightly right. The 4-iron is not quite as long as the 23, but it has a beautiful trajectory and I've been more consistent with it. I haven't carried a 4-iron for two years. The rest of the clubs are very good also. They have a high trajectory, but hitting into 15+ mph wind at the range they were affected by the wind, but did not balloon. When the games actually begin, the true measure will be how they are vs my old set, Adams CB2's, which are a fantastic set of clubs.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

[quote name='homergolf' timestamp='1396234473' post='8984135']
I've had my Covert Forged at the driving range (mats only) a number of times and am leaving Wednesday for my annual trip to SC for four days of golf. What I've learned at the DR is the 4-iron in this set with the NS 950gh shaft is so good, it will be replacing my G25 23* hybrid for the trip. Mistakes with the hybrid go left, sometimes big. Mistakes with the 4-iron go slightly right. The 4-iron is not quite as long as the 23, but it has a beautiful trajectory and I've been more consistent with it. I haven't carried a 4-iron for two years. The rest of the clubs are very good also. They have a high trajectory, but hitting into 15+ mph wind at the range they were affected by the wind, but did not balloon. When the games actually begin, the true measure will be how they are vs my old set, Adams CB2's, which are a fantastic set of clubs.
[/quote]

Let us know how your trip goes. Have fun.

[quote name='Nolesbl' timestamp='1396401061' post='8999223']
I went to pick up my clubs and after i gave him the money, i double checked the clubs and they were last years model, not this years. Disappointed to say the least.
[/quote]

That sucks! How much did you have to pay for them? Might tell if there was an ordering issue (paid less, dealer ordered last years model) or a shipping issue (paid normal, they shipped out the wrong clubs).

and they look amazing in the bag as well....lol.... :smilie_nike:

photo202_zps76bdd771.jpg

Your bag setup looks great man!

I hate you.

i agree. i want a very similar bag as well! totes jelly.

Wilson ProStaff Oversized Driver 10.5*
Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3W and 5W
Dunlop Driving Iron
Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3-PW
WITB Link
Golfsmith Professional Grind 56*
Northwestern Tom Weiskopf 314 blade

[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1396442155' post='9001733']
[quote name='Nolesbl' timestamp='1396401061' post='8999223']
I went to pick up my clubs and after i gave him the money, i double checked the clubs and they were last years model, not this years. Disappointed to say the least.
[/quote]

That sucks! How much did you have to pay for them? Might tell if there was an ordering issue (paid less, dealer ordered last years model) or a shipping issue (paid normal, they shipped out the wrong clubs).
[/quote]

He gave me my money back right away. He was told they were new as in brand, new not used. Not new as in 2014's irons. It was an honest mistake.