2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1394445811' post='8838165']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1394421313' post='8837177']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394416031' post='8836455']
I believe these will be e sleeper iron of the year hands down. I think once more people get out and test new gear they are going to be shocked when they hit these irons. I think these irons could get the full attention of even the greatest Nike haters out there.
[/quote]

I will agree with you that they will be the sleeper of the year. The original VRS Forged had a loyal following and for Nike to top that and improve on every aspect of of the Covert Forged shows that they are here to make some noise this year.

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1394418757' post='8836843']
Is there a link to this review??? Googled and could not come up with it. would love to see it and read the reviews!
Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not sure if there is a link but I posted a pic. Hopefully the review is visible and clear!

[attachment=2110933:photo(21).JPG]
[/quote]

THANKS!! That was a good review and I also am shocked by it. Agree with all stated. Normally not so kind to Nike but adore Ping.
Thanks for posting it!!
[/quote]

I am going for a fitting tomorrow. I hope they have these to try. If not may want to find a place that does just to try them!
I am looking to find a set with less offset especially in the 7-PW. Been thinking to combo some sets to accomplish this but after the post /article from Golf Mag on the review of them more interest in the NIKE Covert Forged. Liked what was stated about the scoring irons.
Anyone have more to add about the progression of the set or the scoring/short irons?
Thanks

[quote name='texasdave' timestamp='1394331661' post='8829331']
[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1394330679' post='8829257']
I have them wih the KBS tours, perfect flight and feel.
[/quote]

I have the exact same set up and feel the same way about them.
[/quote]

Am strongly considering these, can you let me know if there was a upcharge for the KBS shafts? Thanks

[quote name='Micrys2' timestamp='1394453364' post='8838465']
[/quote]

Were the KBS Tours an up charge?
[/quote]

Yes, I believe like $15 per club.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I am down in Florida now on vacation, got my first round in with them. This is my first time hitting off grass. They are every but as good as hitting them off mats.

The turf interaction is great, nice smooth feel at impact, gets thru the turf nicely. I do have to relearn my distances, in the beginning of the round I was long, about a club. They cut thru the wind really nice, straight to a slight draw on the ball flight.

I love these irons, the look, feel and flight is perfect for me. I have 3 more rounds to go, I will update this post tomorrow about the results.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

I went in yesterday to hit balls during/after more NW rain and cannot say enough great things about these irons. I'm currently playing a set of custom 2014 Nike Split cavities and am in the process of now pricing out a 3 iron through Nike custom. In the weather - Trackman set to current outdoor conditions - I was consistently seeing a carry distance of 218 and above with simulated roll out to 236/240. Typically irons like this feel "clicky" - these feel every bit as soft and pure as my splits. I would not be surprised if I didn't stop at the three iron and eventually replaced my four iron. Amazing irons.

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1394457910' post='8838791']
I am down in Florida now on vacation, got my first round in with them. This is my first time hitting off grass. They are every but as good as hitting them off mats.

The turf interaction is great, nice smooth feel at impact, gets thru the turf nicely. I do have to relearn my distances, in the beginning of the round I was long, about a club. They cut thru the wind really nice, straight to a slight draw on the ball flight.

I love these irons, the look, feel and flight is perfect for me. I have 3 more rounds to go, I will update this post tomorrow about the results.
[/quote]

Great news about turf interaction with these irons. Keep us posted on your other rounds.

[quote name='Micrys2' timestamp='1394453364' post='8838465']
[/quote]

Were the KBS Tours an up charge?
[/quote]

I ordered through Discount Dans and I believe the upcharge for KBS Tours was $8/club.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

Long time lurker...this thread has driven me to actually "officially" joining the community.

I've hit these several times, so much so the the store staff knows what I am going to have them tape up the second I walk in. They are a dream to hit. I am so close to pulling the trigger; the one thing holding me back is the lack of information on bounce angle. I would have these bent weak throughout the set to get "standard" lofts; it would be nice to know the affects on bounce angle of bending the irons. Does anyone know where to find the bounce angles? Nike's site doesn't list it, I do have query into Nike about that information, but haven't heard back.

[quote name='poipoi' timestamp='1394474065' post='8840669']
Long time lurker...this thread has driven me to actually "officially" joining the community.

I've hit these several times, so much so the the store staff knows what I am going to have them tape up the second I walk in. They are a dream to hit. I am so close to pulling the trigger; the one thing holding me back is the lack of information on bounce angle. I would have these bent weak throughout the set to get "standard" lofts; it would be nice to know the affects on bounce angle of bending the irons. Does anyone know where to find the bounce angles? Nike's site doesn't list it, I do have query into Nike about that information, but haven't heard back.
[/quote]

Just got a reply on bounce angles:

3i - 3
4i - 3
5i - 3
6i - 3
7i - 3
8i - 4
9i - 4
pw - 6
sw - 6.5
aw - 6.5

[/quote]

Welcome!

I do not know the bounce, but I can tell you from a trip I made to the Oven that Nike engineers do not recommend increasing or decreasing loft by more than 1 degree due to the effect on bounce.

That said, why even adjust the loft? I can assure you that you will have no problem elevating these at standard loft.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1394475227' post='8840783']

[/quote]

Welcome!

I do not know the bounce, but I can tell you from a trip I made to the Oven that Nike engineers do not recommend increasing or decreasing loft by more than 1 degree due to the effect on bounce.

That said, why even adjust the loft? I can assure you that you will have no problem elevating these at standard loft.
[/quote]

The only thing I would adjust would be the AW-SW lofts. Not sure why they chose to go 6 degrees from PW to AW then 5 degrees from AW to SW. Makes sense to keep the previous 5 degree gapping and go 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 then a 60 lob wedge of your choice (a new Nike wedge would go nicely ;) )

[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394478225' post='8841135']

[/quote]

Welcome!

[/quote]

The only thing I would adjust would be the AW-SW lofts. Not sure why they chose to go 6 degrees from PW to AW then 5 degrees from AW to SW. Makes sense to keep the previous 5 degree gapping and go 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 then a 60 lob wedge of your choice (a new Nike wedge would go nicely ;) )
[/quote]

I completely agree.

That said, I am not a fan of the gap wedge in this set. The wedges are a bit on the clunky side, so I would recommend a more traditional type wedge of your choice. I just feel like a traditional wedge is more versatile.

[/quote]

Welcome!

[/quote]

Thanks for the 1 degree info. It is intereseting to know, espeically with earlier post where college players are bending the 3i 1 deg weak and the 4i 2 deg weak.

For me, weakening the lofts isn't about getting it in the air, it is about distance gapping. I am used to carrying a gap of 9-10yrds between irons with the PW at 130y. Based on Trackman, I was seeing gaps of ~15yrds between some irons. Maybe I should just get over it and learn how to throttle up and down to fly the wanted distances.

Haven't yet hit them outdoors, but I couldn't hold back. My set with the Nippons will be here by next Tuesday. I'm pointing the finger at all of you guys out there.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394467966' post='8839953']
Goodness, I just got a new set of G25's but we haven't been getting along as of late (actually I don't think we've gotten along once yet since I got them). This is really tempting me to go try these out!
[/quote]

Same boat here. G25s built to my specs except I went with CFS Stiff. No bueno. After 3 rounds and some range time they are going back for store credit. Looks like I may have to try the Nikes

[/quote]

Welcome!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Welcome!

[/quote]

Who is Nike's top engineer responsible for irons now? The name Tom comes to mind?

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1394495172' post='8843117']
[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394467966' post='8839953']
Goodness, I just got a new set of G25's but we haven't been getting along as of late (actually I don't think we've gotten along once yet since I got them). This is really tempting me to go try these out!
[/quote]

Same boat here. G25s built to my specs except I went with CFS Stiff. No bueno. After 3 rounds and some range time they are going back for store credit. Looks like I may have to try the Nikes
[/quote]

Ditto!!

[quote name='Qegurezi' timestamp='1394535713' post='8846029']
What category did these win on golf.com, game improvement?
[/quote]

Yea, these were in the Game Improvement area. There were three sections, Players Irons, Game Improvement, and Super or Ultra Game Improvement, something like that.

Other irons they had lumped in with these were the G25s, AP1s, Apex, Cobra Bio-something and some TEE offering, can't remember the rest.

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1394536380' post='8846059']

[/quote]

Welcome!

[/quote]

Who is Nike's top engineer responsible for irons now? The name Tom comes to mind?
[/quote]

No, it was not Mr. Stites but worthwhile info none the less!

[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394539515' post='8846209']
[/quote]

Yea, these were in the Game Improvement area. There were three sections, Players Irons, Game Improvement, and Super or Ultra Game Improvement, something like that.

Other irons they had lumped in with these were the G25s, AP1s, Apex, Cobra Bio-something and some TEE offering, can't remember the rest.
[/quote]

Thanks. These are tempting.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='Qegurezi' timestamp='1394566558' post='8849331']
[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394539515' post='8846209']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. These are tempting.
[/quote]

To test better than G25's and AP1's based on their group of testers is definitely saying something. Tempting indeed...

Ok, 2 more rounds with the CF irons, the more I hit them the more I.love them. They are longer, at least 1/2 club than my old irons. The feel thru the turf is excellent, and I can hit just about any shot I want to with them.

It was windy yesterday, and I had no problem with either holding them up against the wind or hitting a knockdown under the wind. The one thing I have noticed and really like is after 3 rounds, and about 5 buckets at the range, they still look they have never been hit, even with the sandy fairways and range balls here in Florida, I am impressed by this!

For me, the purchase was worth every penny.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X