2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1394346408' post='8830443']
[quote name='Eric05' timestamp='1394332860' post='8829451']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1394331666' post='8829333']
Hit these today at a demo day. Inside a dome but wow I did not expect these to be so good. If I didn't already have the ap2s I would be getting these. Couldn't miss the center and they just went straight with an awesome feel. I now understand the love in this thread.
[/quote]

How do they feel in relation to the ap2 I currently have the 710 ap2 but these just felt pretty good off the face straight and 185 from a 7 iron
[/quote]

I feel like there is more feedback than the ap2s, but in a good way. Hard to explain, especially since I haven't been able to hit my ap2s much yet but the coverts just felt like they were bombed.
[/quote]

That is the same way I felt about the CF vs Apex Pros. More feedback with the Apex Pros but the feeling with the CF is just like BOOM everytime I hit them.

Other than nikes being forged, how would these compare to the tm speedlines. I like the look of these little better, but speedlines perform and the price is more reasonable

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394402372' post='8834187']
I saw these in person today. They were really large. They felt great and the ball went forever but not something I would game.
Felt really light and wasn't wowed by them.
[/quote]

I saw these in person today. They were really large. They felt great and the ball went forever but not something I would game.
[/quote]

What do you currently game?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394409511' post='8835401']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

mizuno 53

But these irons were so long and so easy to launch I could get over it

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394409895' post='8835475']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394409511' post='8835401']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

mizuno 53

But these irons were so long and so easy to launch I could get over it
[/quote]

Yeah, being a Mizzy user I could definitely see where you are coming from. I hit these alongside with my Apex Pros and my pros did not stand a chance. The first couple of shots I was not sure about the feel. After about a dozen hits I feel in love with the CF. These irons were not even in my top 10 a month ago.

I am gaming MP-64's and I am going to get a set of more GI to try early this year. I played with a buddies 714 AP2's today and while they were certainly more forgiving, it wasn't as much help as I was looking for. It didn't seem worth it. These were not even on my radar until I read this thread and it seems like I have to give them a look. It sounds like these have a "feel" to them as we'll as a ton of length. I am very intrigued.

Titleist TS4 driver
Titleist TS3 3 wood
Callaway Apex #3 Hybrid
Callaway Apex #4 Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW w/ TT Catalyst 100 6.0
Vokey SM7 58/54/50
[color=#333333]Scotty Cameron Newport 3[/color]

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394410998' post='8835629']
The ball just explodes off the face so effortlessly. I hope they don't have huge distance gaps between them.

Man the more I type the more Im convinced I need to try them again lol
[/quote]

Yep, I describe hitting them as "effortless power". They were so much fun to hit, even when I stepped on the throttle with them I never lost any control. I'm not sure if I should get the set gap wedge or not?? I'm definitely going to get the 3 iron in this set though.

[quote name='Whammy' timestamp='1394411100' post='8835653']
Are you guys hitting them with the Nippon or DG pro? That pro shaft looks interesting, curious of the ball flight between the two
[/quote]

I hit them with the stock Nippon shaft. I'd love to get a set of recoil shafts in these babies though...

[quote name='jayson1219' timestamp='1394411077' post='8835641']
I am gaming MP-64's and I am going to get a set of more GI to try early this year. I played with a buddies 714 AP2's today and while they were certainly more forgiving, it wasn't as much help as I was looking for. It didn't seem worth it. These were not even on my radar until I read this thread and it seems like I have to give them a look. It sounds like these have a "feel" to them as we'll as a ton of length. I am very intrigued.
[/quote]
I sold MP64's to buy the VRS Forged. I haven't looked back.

[quote name='jayson1219' timestamp='1394411077' post='8835641']
[/quote]

IMO, the AP2's are more demanding of an iron then the CF. I have a set of Apex Pro's and I would put them in the same category as the AP2's, both great iron sets. These CF are way more forgiving then either of those sets and much longer as well. The feel is like your nutting a driver or a fwy would with a iron, vey unique feel.

[quote name='nospleen' timestamp='1394412552' post='8835883']
How is the turf interaction? I'd like to have some added forgiveness, but I always prefer the turf interaction of a players iron. If this has both, I'd probably bite...
[/quote]

Unfortunately I have not been able to hit them on real turf as of yet. I bet they will be stellar there as well though.

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394412629' post='8835895']
The APex pros are VERY demanding compared to the 53s and AP2s. These Nikes are almost a step above in the tweener catagory with ez forged, x hot 2 pro, ... those types of irons i think
[/quote]

I agree with that assessment. I just got my Apex Pros and was definitely not looking to change anything this soon. After hitting the CF irons, I honestly felt that I would be doing my game wrong if I did not buy them.

Saw the review on these in the latest Golf Magazine and they were rated the highest GI irons. Lots of serious contenders too including the AP1 and the G25 (which usually wins), but the Covert Forged got the "Highest Rated Irons in Category". Nike is seriously doing some good work. Hopefully the word spreads and people start finally giving them a legitimate shot.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1394414748' post='8836245']
Saw the review on these in the latest Golf Magazine and they were rated the highest GI irons. Lots of serious contenders too including the AP1 and the G25 (which usually wins), but the Covert Forged got the "Highest Rated Irons in Category". Nike is seriously doing some good work. Hopefully the word spreads and people start finally giving them a legitimate shot.
[/quote]

I believe these will be e sleeper iron of the year hands down. I think once more people get out and test new gear they are going to be shocked when they hit these irons. I think these irons could get the full attention of even the greatest Nike haters out there.

Seriously money shot 19000 post.

I really need the snow to melt! You guys are killing me with all the great talks about these irons.

I'm strong and not giving in!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1394416507' post='8836533']
Seriously money shot 19000 post.

I really need the snow to melt! You guys are killing me with all the great talks about these irons.

I'm strong and not giving in!
[/quote]

Lol... You just better start saving your money because when you hit them you will want them. Guaranteed, especially you being a Nike fan and all.

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1394414748' post='8836245']
[/quote]

Is there a link to this review??? Googled and could not come up with it. would love to see it and read the reviews!
Thanks

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394416031' post='8836455']
I believe these will be e sleeper iron of the year hands down. I think once more people get out and test new gear they are going to be shocked when they hit these irons. I think these irons could get the full attention of even the greatest Nike haters out there.
[/quote]

I will agree with you that they will be the sleeper of the year. The original VRS Forged had a loyal following and for Nike to top that and improve on every aspect of of the Covert Forged shows that they are here to make some noise this year.

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1394418757' post='8836843']
Is there a link to this review??? Googled and could not come up with it. would love to see it and read the reviews!
Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not sure if there is a link but I posted a pic. Hopefully the review is visible and clear!

[attachment=2110933:photo(21).JPG]

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1394421313' post='8837177']
[/quote]

I will agree with you that they will be the sleeper of the year. The original VRS Forged had a loyal following and for Nike to top that and improve on every aspect of of the Covert Forged shows that they are here to make some noise this year.

Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not sure if there is a link but I posted a pic. Hopefully the review is visible and clear!

[/quote]

That was a great review! Thanks for posting that for us.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394421733' post='8837241']
[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

That was a great review! Thanks for posting that for us.
[/quote]

No problem!

Just really surprised me as they usually have given Nike "good" remarks, but when they said "Top model tested", I was a little shocked. Again, Ping's G-series or the Ap1's usually were given that status from their previous reviews.

Bravo Nike!

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Wouldn't they stick these in the same category as the ap2 ? I'm pretty set on these. Going to go again on Friday to be sure! Are you guys going with a 3 hybrid and 4-pw? Never hit the 3 iron good with my ap2 710s I'm debating which way to go

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

[quote name='Eric05' timestamp='1394424475' post='8837575']
Wouldn't they stick these in the same category as the ap2 ? I'm pretty set on these. Going to go again on Friday to be sure! Are you guys going with a 3 hybrid and 4-pw? Never hit the 3 iron good with my ap2 710s I'm debating which way to go
[/quote]

That's what I thought as well, but they stuck them with the AP1's. The AP2's received the highest mark in the "Players Clubs" and the new Pro Combos received good marks as well.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Eric05' timestamp='1394424475' post='8837575']
[/quote]

I play VRS Forged and demoed the Covert Forged. Forgiveness and looks wise, the AP1s are more comparable. Before switching to the VRS Forged, I played a combo set of AP1/AP2 712s. Misses with the Titleists can't compare to the Nikes.

I demoed the Covert Forged with DG Pro S300s, there wasn't enough improvements to justify the +$1000 price tag. If I was in the market for new sticks, these would be my top choice.

WITB Link

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

THANKS!! That was a good review and I also am shocked by it. Agree with all stated. Normally not so kind to Nike but adore Ping.
Thanks for posting it!!