Nike VRS Covert Forged Iron Love thread... Wowzie! Comparison Pics added...

easyyy

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1394719486' post='8862213']
Ok, 2 more rounds with the CF irons, the more I hit them the more I.love them. They are longer, at least 1/2 club than my old irons. The feel thru the turf is excellent, and I can hit just about any shot I want to with them.

It was windy yesterday, and I had no problem with either holding them up against the wind or hitting a knockdown under the wind. The one thing I have noticed and really like is after 3 rounds, and about 5 buckets at the range, they still look they have never been hit, even with the sandy fairways and range balls here in Florida, I am impressed by this!

For me, the purchase was worth every penny.
[/quote]

Now why do you have to go and say all of this...must resist...

[quote name='nospleen' timestamp='1394720751' post='8862403']
Ok, 2 more rounds with the CF irons, the more I hit them the more I.love them. They are longer, at least 1/2 club than my old irons. The feel thru the turf is excellent, and I can hit just about any shot I want to with them.

It was windy yesterday, and I had no problem with either holding them up against the wind or hitting a knockdown under the wind. The one thing I have noticed and really like is after 3 rounds, and about 5 buckets at the range, they still look they have never been hit, even with the sandy fairways and range balls here in Florida, I am impressed by this!

[/quote]

Now why do you have to go and say all of this...must resist...
[/quote]

Sorry :)

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho ...

Wondering whether to order just the 8-aw (I love my 13 covert 4-7) or just do the whole set...

[/quote]

I saw that you only went down to PW with your set. Did you get to hit the CF gap wedge before ordering and do you think you'll pick it up to go with your other wedges, or is PW as far as you think you'd go with these irons?

[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1394723780' post='8862755']

[/quote]

I saw that you only went down to PW with your set. Did you get to hit the CF gap wedge before ordering and do you think you'll pick it up to go with your other wedges, or is PW as far as you think you'd go with these irons?
[/quote]

I don't usually use the gap wedge with a set, I have the Nike X3X 52 and SM4 56/60. I haven't had the chance to hit the CF gap wedge.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I saw these in the flesh for the first time today and had a chance to hit them. WOW!! More to follow probably.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1394141885' post='8813843']

The 8irons though.....Hit 2 beauties, 155yards out laser confirmed, it was slightly down hill though but into the wind. I hit my Mizuno's 8 irons came up short right towards the bunker but pin high so distance was good. The NIKEs.......... HIt it high draw over the flag within 20ft past the pin (2shots). I will say I figured the yardage for 145-150max with the down hill but I hit the Nike's a good 5 yards past the hole. so 160 8iron and if realistically maybe 155. I NEVER have hit an 8 iron that far usually my 145 club and 150max if I am swinging out of my shoes and crap pants.

The feel was just as smooth and nice as my mizunos, the flight was higher for sure and it did feel a little "hotter" but all in all a pretty damn nice set.

For comparison sake though.....Mizuno's .25" shorter and 1* less loft. my Mizunos are also flat 2*.

So if you are looking for a "GI/players cavity" club I wouldnt pass it...I would give a couple or rips at it.....not bad my friends not bad....
[/quote]

Just the post I was looking for. I love my JPX-825 Pros but am looking of a second set of irons and something that's just different. I've got to find these where I can play them on grass. Thanks for the post.

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1394722072' post='8862581']
Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho Don't become an iron ho don't become and iron ho don't become an iron ho ...

Wondering whether to order just the 8-aw (I love my 13 covert 4-7) or just do the whole set...
[/quote]

It's to late. I am an iron ho. I am an iron ho. I am an iron ho!
Just ordered 4-P to my specs with KBS Taper C.

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1394924049' post='8878989']

[/quote]

[/quote]
We knew you were hooked bad? Foul hooked!!

[quote name='24hrclown' timestamp='1394908841' post='8877829']
Just the post I was looking for. I love my JPX-825 Pros but am looking of a second set of irons and something that's just different. I've got to find these where I can play them on grass. Thanks for the post.
[/quote]

just sold my JPX-825 Pros and am in the process of ordering a set of Covert Forged to replace them!!

A friend of mine wanted to know what the difference was between the forged version of these clubs and the cast version. I went to Nike's website and I see the shafts are different, and the cast club is 1º stronger. Are there any other differences?

Has anyone hit both?

I've never played Nike clubs so I couldn't give him any information.

Thank you!

My new Covert 2.0 Forged arrived yesterday, ahead of schedule. Gonna try to get to the range (heated, off mats), though it is now about 20* outside. That's pretty cold even with heated stalls.
Theses are beautiful clubs, and are replacing Adams CB2's, so they better be as good as they were at my indoor demo. They are about 1/4-1/2" shorter in length than the CB2's. The club head is a little larger with a slightly thicker top line. They feel lighter with the NS Pro shaft at 98 grams vs the KBS 95 at 102 grams in the Adams. As the season progresses, I'll supplement minteq's, and others', excellent perspectives on these clubs. Pretty excited to give them a workout.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

I hit these today. Very good looking club with a powerful feel. Overall club weight was extremely light but may work to promote a controlled tempo. They were maybe 5 yds longer on average than my X Hot Pro's. Overall a nice offering. In the future, I'd like to see a thinner sole.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1394924049' post='8878989']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me know how those TAPER C's work for you. I hit a set with Nippon Modus in them....it was outside and cold, but the shaft felt awesome! My only grips would be this...

1.) DG Pro felt great and is no up-charge.
2.) Nippon 950 is an upcharge in other Nike's, but if I get a Modus in Covert Forged I have to pay extra...

trying to ball on a budget you know...

The PGA TSS near me is having a Nike Demo day this Sunday. I am going to give in and demo them. Hopefully they will have one with Project X PXi 5.5 to demo. I have also told my fitter at Club Champion to let me know when he gets demo heads in. If they are significantly better, he can pull the VRS Forged heads and insert the CF's into my Project X PXi's.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jayson1219' timestamp='1394411077' post='8835641']
I am gaming MP-64's and I am going to get a set of more GI to try early this year. I played with a buddies 714 AP2's today and while they were certainly more forgiving, it wasn't as much help as I was looking for. It didn't seem worth it. These were not even on my radar until I read this thread and it seems like I have to give them a look. It sounds like these have a "feel" to them as we'll as a ton of length. I am very intrigued.
[/quote]

I went ahead and ordered these stock with the Nippon shaft, 98 grams vs. the 121 grams of the S300's ive played for 20 years. Swung them and it was the lightest feeling club i ever swung in my life and i thought i was screwed. Stepped to the first tee saturday with them in the bag without ever hitting a shot with them. First hole i had 165 to the flag and i pulled out the 7 iron which i hit 155-160 with my MP-64's. It landed pin high and rolled by 10 feet. It never left the flag. It felt amazing. I hit 9 out of 12 greens when i used them for an approach and shot 78.
They dont have the feel of the mizunos but they do have feel, its just different. Overall a fantastic first round and they certainly passed the first test.

Titleist TS4 driver
Titleist TS3 3 wood
Callaway Apex #3 Hybrid
Callaway Apex #4 Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW w/ TT Catalyst 100 6.0
Vokey SM7 58/54/50
[color=#333333]Scotty Cameron Newport 3[/color]

The PGA TSS had a Nike demo day yesterday and I hit 6 shots with a Covert Forged 7 iron with the standard regular shaft.I hit with with no warmup, no glove, and no golf shoes. My impression of the Covert Forged vs. the VRS Forged are that the Covert Forged feels slightly better, the ball flight is lower (but still too high), slightly tighter dispersion, and slightly longer. My club is changing from bent to bermuda greens in mid-June and I think I will have my fitter replace my VRS forged heads with the Covert Forged heads in my Project X PXi 5.5 shafts during this time. I think this will be a really sweet combination.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1394212519' post='8820087']
If I would have hit these before buying my apex pros my decision may have been a lot different. Heck, my Apex pros might be trade bait already.... Lol
[/quote]
Oh no! LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Finally got them! Went in yesterday to Golf Galaxy. And purchased the 2.0 Forged Covert Irons 4-pw. With Nippon 950gh stiff shaft and nike tour velvet black with red accent grips. I guess my question is that when I was hooked up to the mizuno swing speed my average was 84 and suggested was the Nippon 1150gh do you think I would notice any difference between the two? Also ordered the Nike tour 2.0 Driver. Switching the Bag!

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow