Nebraska Golf Trip

Campbells_Soup

Looking for any info on Nebraska Golf. A buddy and I are flying into Denver to for a 5 day golf trip. Hoping to play The Prairie Club. I know it's semi-private, but is it hard to get on if you don't stay there? Was hoping to play both courses in one day if possible. I see they offer unlimited golf, is that limited to one course or can you play on both? Are there any other courses on the way or not too fat out of the way that are worth playing? Is Sand Hills an option? I know it's private, but is there anyway to get on? If anyone has any recommendations, suggestion or advice, it's all appreciated. We are going to be out there August 6-10, 2014. IN case that matters. Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most courses are unlimited golf in that area.
I think only one course is open each day, but the par three is open all the time.
I'd play Wildhorse and Bayside on your way to and from Denver airport.

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

A couple of friends and I went out to the Prairie Club last year the first week of August. We golfed 54 holes the first day and [i]only[/i] got 36 in the second because it rained in the morning. The way its set up though is that each day guests are only allowed to play one of the courses, while members are allowed to play the other course. It then switches the next day so that guests are allowed to play the other course. With our trip we played the Pines all day the first day and the Dunes on the second day.

A few courses to look at on your way from Denver to the middle of Nebraska would include Bayside and Wild Horse, if you aren't able to get on at Dismal River or Sand Hills. Ballyneal in Holyoke, Colorado you would want to play if you can get on.

Here's a link to a few courses that may interest you: [url="http://linksofnebraska.com/"]Links of Nebraska[/url].

Ballyneal is walking only, and IMHO, the most over rated course around and out of your way. At the Prairie Club, the Dunes is public and the Pines is more private. The stay and play package makes a lot of sense as you basically stay for free. Play Wild Horse on the way out and Bayside on the way back. Wild Horse has fantastic greens and is similar to Prairie Club Dunes, just smaller. Prairie Club Dunes is just massive, I'd call them and see what they can do for you.

Interesting. How is Ballyneal overrated? Some of the most fun I've ever had on a golf course and one of the only true fast & firm, fescue grass courses in the country. If a person has never had the luxury of playing Bandon or in Scotland, it's a valuable experience.

OP, the driving adds up and TPC is a hike. If you are going there, I'd strongly recommend basing your entire trip around it. It's not the type of place you want to drive up to for a day or two and then head out just so you can squeeze in Wild Horse or Bayside (Sand Hills, different story). It's a great place to relax for a few days and get in as much unlimited golf as you can.

Just my thoughts, but I wouldn't take the extra time to drive all the way into Bayside. I know it's pretty well liked here so my preference is in the minority,...but if I had my druthers I would rather play Four Winds in Kimball which is right on I80. Obviously it doesn't have the views of Bayside bit I think it is much less gimmicky. Pretty solid test from the tips. And pretty cheap also. You could then also pick up Hillside in Sidney, also right off I80. Pretty basic old school on one side and through the rough country on the other.

Wildhorse is pretty much a must play.

Another option would be to go east from Fort Morgan and play Heritage Hills (at one time a highly rated course in one of the magazines) in McCook and Cross Creek in Cambridge. Then head north to North Platte to make your way to Prairie Club.

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1395677920' post='8938943']
Interesting. How is Ballyneal overrated? Some of the most fun I've ever had on a golf course and one of the only true fast & firm, fescue grass courses in the country. If a person has never had the luxury of playing Bandon or in Scotland, it's a valuable experience.

OP, the driving adds up and TPC is a hike. If you are going there, I'd strongly recommend basing your entire trip around it. It's not the type of place you want to drive up to for a day or two and then head out just so you can squeeze in Wild Horse or Bayside (Sand Hills, different story). It's a great place to relax for a few days and get in as much unlimited golf as you can.
[/quote]

I can see this point of view also. If you want to make the Prairie Club the main focus of the trip, stay there the majority of the time. But I do think time should be made for Wildhorse. It's worth a day and a few miles out of the way.

From what I've heard Ballyneal would also be worth a detour, if for nothing else to see and experience the greens. I think we're going to try to make it there this year.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1395678749' post='8939093']
Hillside in Sidney will be under construction most of the year. They plan on having half the course open, re do the other half, then swapping. It should be great in a couple of years, but not this year.
[/quote]

Didn't know that. The south side of the course I think is relatively new already, what are they doing?

Wildhorse is one of my favorite courses I've ever played. I'd actually venture to say I enjoyed it more than my round at Kiawah. It is a must-play if in the area.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

What was described about Prairie Club is spot on. Typically, guests can play 1 course one day and the other course the other day. The Dunes and Pines are VERY different courses. Dunes is fairly wide open, but position plays a huge factor on your 2nd shot...it also has some elevation changes. Pines is flat and much more narrow as it is lined with Pine trees. I enjoyed the Dunes the most, but my playing partners all liked The Pines.

I've played Dismal River (the original Nicklaus course) on a guest invite which is very comparable to The Dunes at Prairie Club. Dismal River and Sand Hills are both private, but I've heard that if you contact the Sand Hills (letter or email), they will sometimes grant you an exemption to play there without a member.

Wildhorse in Gothenburg is definitely worth a stop. It won't be as grandoise as Prairie Club, but it's a charming track that lays it out right in front of you...prairie links at it's best.

There is Awarii Dunes just south of Kearney which has been dubbed an Irish links type course...to be honest, I really didn't enjoy it.

Bayside in Ogallala is a fun track and I think it's worth a stop. Should be a fairly quick stop since not too far off I-80.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1395678666' post='8939079']
[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1395677920' post='8938943']

[/quote]

I can see this point of view also. If you want to make the Prairie Club the main focus of the trip, stay there the majority of the time. But I do think time should be made for Wildhorse. It's worth a day and a few miles out of the way.

From what I've heard Ballyneal would also be worth a detour, if for nothing else to see and experience the greens. I think we're going to try to make it there this year.
[/quote]

for sure. our first trip out there we had every intention of hitting Wild Horse on the way back from TPC but the weather killed our last golf day. i'm very aware of its reputation, but after 2 days at Bally and 4 at TPC, we didn't feel we had left too much behind.

heading back to the area for a second time this year (4 days at Dismal) and looks like we may have to skip it again, unfortunately.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1395679694' post='8939241']
What was described about Prairie Club is spot on. Typically, guests can play 1 course one day and the other course the other day. The Dunes and Pines are VERY different courses. Dunes is fairly wide open, but position plays a huge factor on your 2nd shot...it also has some elevation changes. Pines is flat and much more narrow as it is lined with Pine trees. I enjoyed the Dunes the most, but my playing partners all liked The Pines.

I've played Dismal River (the original Nicklaus course) on a guest invite which is very comparable to The Dunes at Prairie Club. Dismal River and Sand Hills are both private, but I've heard that if you contact the Sand Hills (letter or email), they will sometimes grant you an exemption to play there without a member.

Wildhorse in Gothenburg is definitely worth a stop. It won't be as grandoise as Prairie Club, but it's a charming track that lays it out right in front of you...prairie links at it's best.

There is Awarii Dunes just south of Kearney which has been dubbed an Irish links type course...to be honest, I really didn't enjoy it.

Bayside in Ogallala is a fun track and I think it's worth a stop. Should be a fairly quick stop since not too far off I-80.
[/quote]

I'm like your friends Skaffa, I liked the Pines better too. Just more my style course. But the Dunes is more memorable.

Bayside isn't too far off I80 as the crow flies, but it seemed like it took us forever to get back in there after we turned of HW26.

[/quote] We found Awari's greens to be too tricked up and unputtable. Very dissappointed in it.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1395680740' post='8939443']

[/quote]

I'm like your friends Skaffa, I liked the Pines better too. Just more my style course. But the Dunes is more memorable.

Bayside isn't too far off I80 as the crow flies, but it seemed like it took us forever to get back in there after we turned of HW26.
[/quote]

haha, our group was split on Dunes vs Pines too. personally, i thought the Dunes required more memorable shots, while the Pines had a more memorable look. if only the Pines brought the canyon into play more often—i hear Hanse's eventual Old School course will utilize it much more.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1395679195' post='8939165']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1395678749' post='8939093']
Hillside in Sidney will be under construction most of the year. They plan on having half the course open, re do the other half, then swapping. It should be great in a couple of years, but not this year.
[/quote]

Didn't know that. The south side of the course I think is relatively new already, what are they doing?
[/quote]

New water system for starters, supposed to water much more area, less brown grass and bare spots. Also changing some of the holes, tees and greens around. Hired a designer that helped with Sand Hollow. Not sure how much they will actually do but rumored to be over $2 million project. Trying to make it more modern and higher rated, got to spend some of Cabelas tax dollars for a course suitable for the Cabelas execs.

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1395681091' post='8939519']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1395680740' post='8939443']

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha, our group was split on Dunes vs Pines too. personally, i thought the Dunes required more memorable shots, while the Pines had a more memorable look. if only the Pines brought the canyon into play more often—i hear Hanse's eventual Old School course will utilize it much more.
[/quote]

We felt that if you played the Pines, you would get a taste of what the Dunes is as half the holes aren't in the trees. They want to build another 18, utilizing the canyon on several holes. Should be fantastic!

I enjoyed my round at Awarii. It is a cool course. I love the layout, it is links-style. However, the fairways don't play that way, they aren't as firm/fast as I'd prefer. I actually enjoyed the greens. Some are pretty undulating, but I didn't find them unplayable.

Taylormade TP5

Wow, some great info guys. I really do appreciate it. I didn't realize members played one course and guest the other at TPC. My buddy and I do a yearly trip. Last year it was golf in Texas,Oklahoma,Kansas and Arkansas. 2 years ago it was all seven New England states. So we are used to a lot of driving. This year hoping to play in Colorado and Nebraska. Although we may mix in South Dakota and Wyoming. Again, I really do appreciate any recommendations for courses in any of these states.

this thread is giving me great memories of my CO/NE road trip from 2012 and getting me stoked for my return in June. let's keep it going!

Time4tim, would love to hear more about your plans. Where would you go in SD/WY that would be convenient in a 5-day trip or up to the standards of the CO/NE courses? Based on your past trips, I'm getting the impression that you and your buddy aren't looking for any relaxing stretches. Looks like more of a non-stop thrill ride to hit as many great courses as possible.

If you enjoy[b] links [/b]courses you will have an awesome time.. We went last year Sunday - Friday. Plan ahead is key. To try and help a fellow WRX here is how I planned our trip last year.

We stayed in Valentine the fist two nights and then Mullen two more nights then Gothenburg. Valentine is about 20 minute drive to Prairie Club. Sand Hills is about 25 minutes from Mullen and Dismal River is 45 minutes from Mullen. Wild Horse is in Gothenburg so 20 min drive. Awarii Dunes is about an hour from Gothenburg off I-80 so we added it last minute.

All the clubs have excellent food and there is plenty of places to eat.
Cedar Canyon Steakhouse and Bunkhouse are both good places to eat in Valentine.
Reds Café is a good place to eat in Mullen, I recall having one of the best steaks I have had 15 minutes east of Mullen in Seneca at Cattleman's. Just off Hwy 2 If you can get there Ihighly recommend
Lisa Kitchen was excellent. Green Apple Café was also good in Gothenburg.

Accommodations are easy in Valentine and Gothenburg but Mullen is a tough location. Most stay 25 miles from Mullen in Theford (I think that is the town)

I think we stayed in the Sandhills Motel.? They were little separate little units with two queen beds in each. Nothing fancy that is for sure but it worked for two nights. Remember you are out in NOWHERE....also do not worry about the sound of banjo's :swoon: JK

[i](You pass Mullen on the way to Valentine. Stat's wise Mullen population is 500, Valentine 2700 and Gottenburg is 3500)[/i]

[b]Play Order:[/b]
Prairie Club (Valentine Ne) 2 Days
Sand Hills (Mullen Ne) 1 Day
Dismal River (Mullen Ne) 1 Day
Wild Horse Golf Club (Gothenburg Ne) 1 Day...sort of 2 since we added Awarii Dunes
Awarii Dunes (Axtell Ne) [i](We added this based on reviews as it was only about 1 hour from Wild Horse but if you don't you are right on I-80 for the drive back to Denver )[/i]

[b]Prairie Club [/b](Dunes/Pines): We did not stay at the resort. We stayed in Valentine which is about 20 mins away so easy drive. I know someone posted they had to play one course each day but when we went last year we got to mix it up. Was not full as I thought on Sunday and pretty empty on Monday. (They did have maintenance out on Monday but did not effect our play) I will tell you one of the best times I had with friends on course was the HORSE course (par 3)... we grab some brauts and buckets of beers and played the course until the sun went down both nights. First night I lost my AZZ on the bets...LOL You really only need a few clubs but the second night we all tired with one club and a putter. Really was a blast. Is it worth the fee.... well since it is a all day yes it is. Honestly I liked the both courses but I like the Pines better. Just the type of courses I like. The dunes is excellent also but it may have been down played in my mind after playing Sand Hills a day later.

[b]Sand Hills:[/b] You can get on...or at least we did. In simple you have to be respectful of the course and that it is private. You can email them, I think from the website actually. I recall you need to be sponsored by a member. We chose to write a letter/email letting them know about are group (3) Basically being as respectful as we could hoping to get a chance to play it. We got an email back a few weeks later saying we had been sponsored...!!! We thought / hoped the sponsor would be there so we could thank them but we played as a 3 some. It is an amazing course but know that if the wind is blowing you had better play the right tees as it gets hard..really HARD.! As nice as the course is the people at the club are better. Nicest people I have ever meet at a course. By the way Sand Hills was not expensive....actually is a STEAL IMHO !!! We tipped everyone we saw..LOL they were soooo nice and treated so well. As if we were members and they did not have too. [i]** Rumor is they keep you name and they give you a one time deal... if you ask again I have heard the answer is sorry. Not sure if that is true or not?[/i]

[b]Dismal River:[/b] Private......and got a bit lucky. I had heard a rumor so I asked a friend, PGA head pro were we play out of (Murphy Creek - Public course) to make a "call" based on the rumor. Finally got him to connect with the head pro at Dismal and since we were playing on a Wednesday he asked a "fellow" head pro if we could "sneak" on during the middle of the week. Turns out they would like you to be a member of another PRIVATE course. We may have just lucked out but we got on. I will note up front It was expensive $200+/- but we got use of the range and they let us play twice for the fee. I swear we never saw another golfer...heck person all day. It was surreal... as if we owned the place. Was really cool. Excellent course. So at the price playing two rounds it was worth it in the end. [i]**I will note we debated it based on price but we HAD to follow through since we got on...in the end it was worth it.[/i]

[b]WIld Horse Golf Club:[/b] Around $60ish with cart I think. I really liked this course as it had more wild fescue grass around the course, also a LOT taller then the other courses. Do not miss the fairway, you will find 5 balls but not your own it seemed. When we played it was super green on the fairways / greens and the fescue was high and brown. Looked very cool visually. Layout is nice and conditions were great. Worth $60 with a cart for sure.

[b]Awarii Dunes[/b]: I liked the course but it was at the end of the trip and since all the courses were links style ( I do think the Pines is a bit linkish...just me) they all started to blend together. Great layout and the conditions were really good. Worth playing again for the price.

You have time so maybe you can try and work in some of the private ones we played. Never hurts to ask!!

[i]PS: Once you get to Valentine or Mullen, each location or course is no more then 20-40 minutes away. Mullen to Gothenburg is 1:50 away so not bad. Drive back from Gothenburg to Denver ....4 hours. So honestly the 5.5 hour drive to Valentine is the longest part.[/i]

Chile Dip Master-Thanks for the reviews and all the info. If I may ask, how much was it to play Sandhills? I don't won't to waste anyone's time in e-mailing the club and getting a sponsor then to only decline the invitation due to price. I could squeeze it, but my buddy is single and lives on his own in Virgina. I don't want to make him too uncomfortable with the green fees.

As it goes right now, we are looking at flying into Denver(me from Burbank, buddy from D.C.). I am definitely flying in on Friday afternoon and he might have to come in on the first flight on Saturday. Planning to head straight out towards Nebraska and Wildhorse. for a late morning/early afternoon round. From there heading to Prairie Club to do one of their stay and play packages. Playing all day Sunday and most of the day Monday. Monday evening start heading towards Denver, unless we can get on Sandhills on Tuesday. We plan on one round in the Denver area (maybe Fossil Trace) before heading home. If it was up to me, I would be staying out there for a week to play as many as possible. However, my friend only gets 2 weeks a year off, so he has to budget his time. I have 5 weeks to waste, so that means I get to make it up to my wife by taking her to see her parents in Idaho(more golf).

The times I have played Sand Hills GC, it was $125 PER DAY.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1395855630' post='8955835']
We paid $125 for the day plus tips of course. We did play 27 that day too, limited by the time we got there. If you can get on it and the price is not to bad I would try it since you will be in the area.

Edit, Hope Wild Horse is in good shape like it was when I went. It was fun for the price.
[/quote][quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1395855630' post='8955835']
We paid $125 for the day plus tips of course. We did play 27 that day too, limited by the time we got there. If you can get on it and the price is not to bad I would try it since you will be in the area.

Edit, Hope Wild Horse is in good shape like it was when I went. It was fun for the price.
[/quote]

Wildhorse is always in great shape. The man in charge, Josh, learned the craft at Sandhills, he has a great blog on their website.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be in Omaha in late May for a graduation. I'm planning on driving out to Gothenburg middle of that week for 36 holes at Wildhorse, and then 18 the following day at Awari or one of the courses in the Lincoln area on my way back to Omaha. Reading this is getting me pumped about the trip. Lot's of great information here. Thanks guy's!

I do three trips a year from Denver to Nebraska. One of my favorite areas to play golf! WIldhorse is your bang for your buck winner. Fabulous course and AMAZING greens. Must play on the trip. I recommend staying at the hotel right off the interstate, it is very nice and has good rates. This is a must for your trip for value and quality.

Prairie Dunes is awesome as well and I would recommend maxing out your stay and play package. Courses are great and have very cool layouts. It is literally in the middle of nowhere and you are stuck paying their food and bar bills and that will rack up on you. Regardless, it is a great experience and totally worth it. Play the horse course at the end of the day!

Awarii Dunes is very well run by a pro originally from Iowa that is a great guy. The layout is pretty fun but the greens are miserably terrible. According to him, the greens are kept long because they risk losing them with the wind on the undulations. I think it ruins the experience for me (been there two separate occasions and I can't get seem to get over it). I would say avoid it unless its too convenient for you.

Sandhills is an experience unlike any other and is out of control good. Very, very good golf course. It is very hard and will eat your lunch with the wind blowing. I play around scratch and couldn't crack 80 from the tips. We played with some members that we knew and even with them I found the staff to be a little stuffy. If you can make it work, do it. Are you really gunna turn down the chance to play a top 10?

Good luck with your search! Where are you playing in Denver?

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5