2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltbie's cart driver gets DUI for running over foot of cop, very strange

cxx

I'm all for more security at tour events, but do a little better job of screening.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24588967/us-open-man-gets-dwi-for-driving-golf-cart-under-influence

The cop chased down the cart and assaulted the driver after having his foot run over. Must not have been hurt too bad. How did the cop figure that he was drunk?

If it is illegal to drink and drive a golf cart, half the golfing population will quit the game.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there and the NC Highway Patrol had a pretty large presence, along with other security and police. As large as this event is it falls under Homeland Security and that is why there is a large presence. Sounds like this escalated into something bigger than it should have. I also saw the NC Highway Patrol riding around in plenty of golf carts as well.

Wow!! This story is just crazy. Based on the quote below, it sounds like a wee bit of a power trip to me. Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know the other side of the story, but this just sounds stupid. Doubt any of the charges would hold up in court. Resisting? On a golf cart with Roger Maltbie in it? Really?!?!?!? Thanks for posting, OP!

[indent=1]"Thomas Lineberry, 59, of Wilmington, was charged with assault on a law enforcement officer, hit and run, driving while impaired and resisting, obstructing and delaying a law enforcement officer, according to Pam Walker, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina Department of Public Safety."[/indent]

Edited for spelling.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

If only we could somehow get those guys to stand on each tee box and tackle the idiots yelling, "Mashed Potato" or "You 'da man," all the time.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1402927872' post='9506005']
Driving a golf cart drunk on private land--a golf course is not against the law. Taking the [size=4]golf cart[/size][size=4] off the course and driving yes--total [/size][size=4]Barney Fife arrest[/size][size=4]. [/size]
[/quote]

Not that I disagree with you but It seems it was not alcohol but drugs that lead to the charge. So that may trump the private land thing. But I am no lawyer.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm surprised the guy was drunk (although I did read he has worked with Maltbie for years who looks like he's a drinker) while working the US Open/for NBC. That was a dumb mistake and will likely get him fired as well.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

This will likely go away quietly with some attorneys.

It was so crowded, and the staties were walking around like baby chickens all over the hole with no rhyme or reason to their direction, I'm not surprised.

I'm also not surprised the guy didn't "stop". The noise was such that who knew if it was a fan yelling or one specific cop.

Some statie with daddy issues me-thinks is what happened here.

He's not going to skip off to Mexico in a golf cart, use your radio to radio up ahead to have another officer check the guy out. Fool officer decides to choke a guy out.

Driving a golf cart drunk on private land--a golf course is not against the law. Taking the [size=4]golf cart[/size][size=4] off the course and driving yes--total [/size][size=4]Barney Fife arrest[/size][size=4]. [/size]
[/quote]

The whole event is kind of a joke. Guy gets arrested for probably nothing. The grass looked dead on TV. The PGA/USGA should stand up for the cart drive and tell them that Pinehurst will never see a major again. I doubt golf fans would mind. They like seeing green golf courses instead of shabby fairways and greens. I can see dead grass at any local muni. This tourney was fairly bush league and this cop going mental is just more proof.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1402929099' post='9506113']
[/quote]

The whole event is kind of a joke. Guy gets arrested for probably nothing. The grass looked dead on TV. The PGA/USGA should stand up for the cart drive and tell them that Pinehurst will never see a major again. I doubt golf fans would mind. They like seeing green golf courses instead of shabby fairways and greens. I can see dead grass at any local muni. This tourney was fairly bush league and this cop going mental is just more proof.
[/quote]

The grass was dead because they didn't water it. That is probably the USGA, not Pinehurst Resort. The other courses on their property were green looking. Also, there was a three week drought going on and they let it dry up even more by not turning the sprinklers on.

The tournament was not Bush League. Have you ever seen what Augusta looks like in the Summer? It ain't green like in April. It is green because of the Rye grass which burns off in the South when it gets warm.

[quote name='herdman' timestamp='1402930392' post='9506295']
[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1402929099' post='9506113']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The grass was dead because they didn't water it. That is probably the USGA, not Pinehurst Resort. The other courses on their property were green looking. Also, there was a three week drought going on and they let it dry up even more by not turning the sprinklers on.

The tournament was not Bush League. Have you ever seen what Augusta looks like in the Summer? It ain't green like in April. It is green because of the Rye grass which burns off in the South when it gets warm.
[/quote]

herdman, FLW is a troll. He's never made a positive post in these forums, ever. Disregard everything he says, but don't block him, because the posts are always entertaining.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Crazy story, but the crosswalks were the only thing the USGA didn't get right. A few members of the staff were really power crazed.

The marshals were forced to make people wait in a tight crowd and then move over for service "gators." In one case, I and several others were forced to crush into a person on a disability scooter because an "ambulance" carrying a drunk girl decided to force its way through the crowd. There was no where to go unless we were to trample each other.

I felt like we were all about to have our passes yanked when the "ambulance" couldn't get past us because we were pinned against the disabled person's scooter. It surprised me that the situation did not escalate (on account of the crowd being more respectful than the staff). We were getting physically pushed by the staff into an elderly person and yelled at, but we let it slide as best we could without knocking over the elderly person.

If it were a true emergency the service gators had access to the inside margin of the ropes - and they had a pass stating so!

I didn't see this Maltby situation, but do know that the crossings were poorly managed. It would not surprise me if the staff made a bad choice and forced the cart into a large crowd and then waved the trooper over to get involved.

Obviously the officer wasn't hurt, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to run after a golf cart....

I feel sorry for the poor guy. Getting choked from behind when you are 59 is no small matter. I am surprised the egotistical a-hole didn't pull out a taser and zap him into cardiac arrest.

Then they pile the charges on to make it all seem legit-

[i]assault on a law enforcement officer, hit and run, driving while impaired and resisting, obstructing and delaying a law enforcement officer[/i]

Those are some serious charges. Kiss that guy's retirement account goodbye.

And by the way, since I was just reading about this yesterday, yes, you can get a dui for driving a golf cart. You can get a dui for pretty much anything these days even walking down the street with your car keys in your pocket if your car is close. Open container laws also apply. No kidding.

They slapped the DWI on there because he "might have been intoxicated due to pills/other drugs." There was no breathalyzer or toxicology report filed - we would have seen it by now.

This is another sad case of a cop going bonkers because someone didn't "respect his authority." Hopefully his cruiser or bike gets plowed into very soon so he can understand what a hit and run actually is. He couldn't have been hurt considering the amount of weight his legs/feet had to run on to actually catch the guy - that cop is pretty darn fat, and I don't mean big boned. He probably got beat up all the time in high school, since most cops are mad at everyone for that reason.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/06/photos-nbc-cart-driver-arreste.html

Update, Sunday 3:30 p.m.:According to North Carolina Highway Patrol spokeswoman Pam Walker, Lineberrry was arrested on four felony counts: assault of a law enforcement officer; hit and run with personal injury; driving while impaired; and resisting, obstructing, and delaying a public officer. Walker said the DWI charge was for "possible impairment from drugs." Lineberry was released on $3,000 bail.

Here's the sequence of Lineberry being taken into custody, as captured by Golf Digest photographer Charles Laberge.

cart-driver-1-thumb-518x335-135321.jpg

cart-driver-2-thumb-518x350-135323.jpgcart-driver-3-thumb-518x337-135325.jpg

cart-driver-4-thumb-518x355-135327.jpg

Here is the comment that I referenced in an earlier post (from Geoff Schackelford's blog)

[i]I saw this guy running around the course on Saturday - the guy was totally out of control for where he was driving. Glad he got arrested - he was rude and obnoxious with no regard for who or what was in front of him. Yelling at people, people yanking kids out of the way to keep them from getting run over. Ridiculous. Hope he gets a serving of humble pie because the guy was a danger.[/i]

Meh, Maltbie was probably under the influence too.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Knowing several people who witnessed the erratic behavior of the driver of cart and his disregard for safety of spectators, I feel confident situation was escalated by driver and could have come to a conclusion without need for use of force in order to execute arrest.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1403137916' post='9528199']
can almost guarantee Maltbie was doped up on soup…he wakes up doped
[/quote]

Not cool. You're an a** for posting this. IBTL

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1402928645' post='9506077']
Driving a golf cart drunk on private land--a golf course is not against the law. Taking the golf cart off the course and driving yes--total Barney Fife arrest.
[/quote]

Not that I disagree with you but It seems it was not alcohol but drugs that lead to the charge. So that may trump the private land thing. But I am no lawyer.
[/quote]

Did you read the article?
[color=#111111][size=4]
Exerpt: "I've seen a lot of crazy things at a lot of golf tournaments but I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. A man at the 2014 US Open who was driving NBC's Roger Maltbie around the course got a DWI on Saturday for driving the course [b]under the influence of alcohol[/b]."[/size][/color][color=#111111][size=4]
Pretty clear it was alcohol.[/size][/color]

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1403285061' post='9540351']
Driving a golf cart drunk on private land--a golf course is not against the law. Taking the golf cart off the course and driving yes--total Barney Fife arrest.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#111111][size=4]Exerpt: "I've seen a lot of crazy things at a lot of golf tournaments but I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. A man at the 2014 US Open who was driving NBC's Roger Maltbie around the course got a DWI on Saturday for driving the course [b]under the influence of alcohol[/b]."[/size][/color]
[color=#111111][size=4]Pretty clear it was alcohol.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

There were a few different views written. That is what is wrong with today's media. One article said it was drugs and no alcohol... another says it was... but thanks for your input... a week later.

also, just so you know, just because it is on paper or the interwebs does not mean it is true....

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1403285061' post='9540351']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#111111][size=4]
Exerpt: "I've seen a lot of crazy things at a lot of golf tournaments but I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. A man at the 2014 US Open who was driving NBC's Roger Maltbie around the course got a DWI on Saturday for driving the course [b]under the influence of alcohol[/b]."[/size][/color][color=#111111][size=4]
Pretty clear it was alcohol.[/size][/color]
[/quote]Read all the prior posts, including statement from NCSHP representative before posting "correction" of other poster.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu