2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Played with some good sticks today... got intimidated.

vbb

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1404685852' post='9648015']

I played quickly, observed proper etiquette, and made small talk with everyone, and I did get the invite back. But I have never, in all of my 13 years of golfing, played with someone who has broken par. It was quite the experience. Now I'm motivated to get better!
[/quote]

I firmly believe that you'll step up your game by playing with those who are better than you. While you will get worse if you play with those worse than you.

I experienced this racing motorcycles, playing soccer, bowling, heck, anything! You just get to take note on what the right things are, which you should be doing. While bad habits can be formed if you have to figure it out on your own.

Keep playing with those guys and I will bet you will improve, how much will depend on you and your natural ability.

League last night, player on other team shot par 35 (with a 7 on one hole). Shot my best league round of the year (41) playing against them. Would have beat him by 1 on net (wasn't the player I was playing against). Coincidence, maybe. Sure was concentrating harder than usual to play well.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wow, nice to see this thread is still going after a month!

So, to update those that are still paying attention... I've done a lot of stepping out of my comfort zone over the past month, and my game is better for it. I just got through July playing a total of 10 rounds, which is the most I've played in a single month in years... and maybe ever. Most of those were full 18 hole rounds with some of the better golfers I mentioned in my first post (and some were more casual rounds with my usual group of golfing buddies). I've learned that even though those guys are better than me and carry lower handicaps, everyone is capable of having a bad day, and when I'm on my game and they're off theirs, our scores are remarkably close. True, the scratch and plus players in the group are not going over 80 under almost any circumstance... but the mid single digits definitely can throw the 83-85 up there, and that's not too far away from what I can score. That, and I've now seen some really good players make some bad shots, just like me.

Being intimidated was all about feeling like I couldn't compete and didn't belong. But in reality, all you have to do is play YOUR game and let the pieces fall where they may. Nobody cares if I put up a 95 out there, even if they're putting up an 80. We play quickly and have a good time.

As to my regular game... I feel that I'm learning some valuable lessons in course management. Every round I've played with those guys has been better than the last (save one total blow up on day one of the club championship in the pouring rain). I've even beat some guys straight up that are a solid 7 strokes lower than me on their handicap, just because I've had a good day while they've been a little off. The point is that now I know I can hang, and that confidence is worth something.

I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and decided to play. I only see better golf in my future because of it.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Remember, if you play with a guy that is 10 strokes worse than you, how do you feel? As long as you keep up, with proper etiquette, other people don't look down on you. After all they were there once also. They are usually thinking about their game and really don't notice your score unless it's really bad and you are no fun to play with. Play fast and don't talk too much and you will be fine. No one likes to play with a guy that has nothing but excuses or says 'I never shoot this bad'.

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1407356630' post='9873469']
Kevin, I'm going to be out there Sunday morning...see you there?
[/quote]

Sent you a PM.
[quote name='golfingnut300' timestamp='1407357722' post='9873625']
Remember, if you play with a guy that is 10 strokes worse than you, how do you feel? As long as you keep up, with proper etiquette, other people don't look down on you. After all they were there once also. They are usually thinking about their game and really don't notice your score unless it's really bad and you are no fun to play with. Play fast and don't talk too much and you will be fine. No one likes to play with a guy that has nothing but excuses or says 'I never shoot this bad'.
[/quote]
Exactly. I don't make excuses for my game. Some days I hit it well and shoot in the mid-low 80s, other days I hit it bad and can barely break 100. Both golfers are me. I just never want anyone to feel like their round is being held up by my play, so no matter if I'm playing well or playing poorly, I play quickly. I've played many rounds where I shot 94 and my playing partner shot 78 neither of us knew the other's score until we added it all up. That's what it is all about.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1407348530' post='9872195']
Wow, nice to see this thread is still going after a month!

So, to update those that are still paying attention... I've done a lot of stepping out of my comfort zone over the past month, and my game is better for it. I just got through July playing a total of 10 rounds, which is the most I've played in a single month in years... and maybe ever. Most of those were full 18 hole rounds with some of the better golfers I mentioned in my first post (and some were more casual rounds with my usual group of golfing buddies). I've learned that even though those guys are better than me and carry lower handicaps, everyone is capable of having a bad day, and when I'm on my game and they're off theirs, our scores are remarkably close. True, the scratch and plus players in the group are not going over 80 under almost any circumstance... but the mid single digits definitely can throw the 83-85 up there, and that's not too far away from what I can score. That, and I've now seen some really good players make some bad shots, just like me.

Being intimidated was all about feeling like I couldn't compete and didn't belong. But in reality, all you have to do is play YOUR game and let the pieces fall where they may. Nobody cares if I put up a 95 out there, even if they're putting up an 80. We play quickly and have a good time.

As to my regular game... I feel that I'm learning some valuable lessons in course management. Every round I've played with those guys has been better than the last (save one total blow up on day one of the club championship in the pouring rain). I've even beat some guys straight up that are a solid 7 strokes lower than me on their handicap, just because I've had a good day while they've been a little off. The point is that now I know I can hang, and that confidence is worth something.

I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and decided to play. I only see better golf in my future because of it.
[/quote]

Yea well, you keep takin my money, you get no strokes from Duff! LOL.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1407420807' post='9878613']
I'll take two a side kthx.
[/quote]

2 shots......

of crown?

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1407420855' post='9878627']
[/quote]

2 shots......

of crown?
[/quote]

On the first tee if you give me two a side.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1407422751' post='9878865']
[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1407420855' post='9878627']
[/quote]

2 shots......

of crown?
[/quote]

On the first tee if you give me two a side.
[/quote]

haha right....I'm not givin you a darn thing.

Everyone starts somewhere, and if you were not last of the 16 people. Well done for being nervous as you were.

Hopefully you took away from the experience, and it sounds like you did, that SOLID golf yields consistent scores. You don't need to be a hero, and avoiding big numbers, especially if a competitive round, will shoot you up the leaderboard. After a while, the "skill" of golf becomes very mental and belief in yourself and committing to a shot and not worrying about consequence will take you further than beating balls all day will.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1407426811' post='9879465']
Everyone starts somewhere, and if you were not last of the 16 people. Well done for being nervous as you were.

Hopefully you took away from the experience, and it sounds like you did, that SOLID golf yields consistent scores. You don't need to be a hero, and avoiding big numbers, especially if a competitive round, will shoot you up the leaderboard. After a while, the "skill" of golf becomes very mental and belief in yourself and committing to a shot and not worrying about consequence will take you further than beating balls all day will.
[/quote]

Thanks for the words. Hitting balls on the range, playing practice rounds alone or with some buddies and taking lessons can definitely help your swing, but playing in situations where you're outside of your comfort zone, with something on the line (be it small money or even pro shop credit) definitely helps improve your mental game... and we know this game is as much mental as it is physical. It's like I'm working on a different aspect of my game that I haven't really worked on much before.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1407420242' post='9878501']

[/quote]

Honestly, we're probably at the point where we could just play straight up. If either of us is on, we can beat the other, but our average scores are very similar. Any time I can throw back to back birdies up there like I did yesterday, I expect to win a few bucks, lol. :D

[/quote]

Psshhh, yeah right. You could give me 6 a side and I'm not sure I'd have money in my wallet at the end of the day, Mr. +3 index.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

i always try to learn from a good player. Remember the first city tournament i entered as a kid, both players I was paired up with were experienced players who scored even par, while I was something like +15 and felt like I really didn't belong, I remember thinking to myself that I hit the ball as well or better than these guys but they had great course management skills, able to think around the course, great chipping and putting skills.Stuff that I was very poor at the time.
since then I really work on my game to get to a 4 handicap, developing those other skills. There's a lot scratch players at my club that are good at a certain aspect of thee game and I like playing with them, as ballstriking which seems to be over emphasized in these forums ballstriking is just one aspect of golf that can lead good scoring.
Sometimes you have to take your golfing hat off and learn to be a tactician

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1407446715' post='9882155']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1407426811' post='9879465']

[/quote]

Thanks for the words. Hitting balls on the range, playing practice rounds alone or with some buddies and taking lessons can definitely help your swing, but playing in situations where you're outside of your comfort zone, with something on the line (be it small money or even pro shop credit) definitely helps improve your mental game... and we know this game is as much mental as it is physical. It's like I'm working on a different aspect of my game that I haven't really worked on much before.
[/quote]
There's a funny thing that happens when you play with good players. Its almost like you absorb their better tempo via observation. You see how they plot their way around with course management. You see the ordinary, well-struck shots strung together for a good score. Everyone should play with some people "better than themselves at the game of golf" at any opportunity.

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1407446996' post='9882221']
[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1407420242' post='9878501']
[/quote]

Honestly, we're probably at the point where we could just play straight up. If either of us is on, we can beat the other, but our average scores are very similar. Any time I can throw back to back birdies up there like I did yesterday, I expect to win a few bucks, lol. :D

[/quote]

Psshhh, yeah right. You could give me 6 a side and I'm not sure I'd have money in my wallet at the end of the day, Mr. +3 index.
[/quote]

Did I win this bet?

Taylormade Spider X

Considering I would have had to shoot a 79 to stay within 12, uhh, yes, you WOULD have won handily if I was stupid enough to bet with you. Good thing I'm not!

Nice [b]67[/b] man. That's golfing your ball. Of course I think you shot the lowest round ever in the history of the blitz, so methinks your point target is going up.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1407771536' post='9909069']
Considering I would have had to shoot a 79 to stay within 12, uhh, yes, you WOULD have won handily if I was stupid enough to bet with you. Good thing I'm not!

Nice [b]67[/b] man. That's golfing your ball. Of course I think you shot the lowest round ever in the history of the blitz, so methinks your point target is going up.
[/quote]

I shall refuse ANY point raise unless the pro's goes up.

Two three putts from 15 feet (2 & 18) and two bogeys from less than 100yds...and it could have been real low.

Still didn't win any money in the team...sad!

Taylormade Spider X

[quote name='idriveahonda' timestamp='1407778612' post='9910115']
[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1407771536' post='9909069']

[/quote]

I shall refuse ANY point raise unless the pro's goes up.

Two three putts from 15 feet (2 & 18) and two bogeys from less than 100yds...and it could have been real low.

Still didn't win any money in the team...sad!
[/quote]

Yeah, to shoot 67 and then feel like you left something out there is pretty darn good.

The team format can hook you up or screw you. There's definitely some randomness involved with it. You got 10 points right? If so, that's the highest I've seen... and you still didn't get in the loot. You want to get paired with a team that had nobody in the negative, but since it's a draw of cards, there's no way to guarantee that'll happen. If you want some side action, I bet the pro and a few of the other guys at or around scratch will give you some action if you're looking.

I just want you to be the ringer on every best ball tournament I play from here on out, lol.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

said it earlier in this thread and I will say it again. find the best playing partners you possibly can, and if they are cool with it, play with them often. My game took serious leaps a few years back when I was playing with the club pro, a wanna be pro (but still a plus hc, just never gonna be pro kinda guy), and my buddy who was right around where I was then. Now I am a 6.9. a little higher than I was when the leap to a 2 happened, but with my current job and NO practice time, I attribute that 6.9 to playing with those guys, and my buddy is now a 3, down from 10 around then. It changes your mindset. I used to be ok with bogies and doubles and now they destroy me internally. but in a good way. I just have a mindset that is different now, and playing with the Sticks helps you ( it helped me anyway) get into that type of mindset about your play. that isn't a great explanation but its the best I can put into words. Play an entire season with guys that despise, I mean really despise not making par and something will change in you, and hopefully lead to lower scores.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I love these types of games. I am a 2.2 index at a 73.5/136 6900 yards course. I often show up as a single and play with whom ever I get paired with. I love to play with my regular guys but I also like to mingle with anyone. I love playing with higher hdcp because I get to witness some great accomplishments from time to time. I love playing with the ladies also. They are intimidated when they see me playing from the back tee's but I always tell them not to worry and to please not get mad at me for slowing down the 4some (waiting for par 5's to clear before going at them in 2) They usually laugh and the stress and intimidation is gone.

You should play with these guys. They'll push you at getting better and you'll also learn by watching,

I usually play w guys better than me
Im a 2 index (at my home track that I play every day) but travel around a 6 I bet
I often play w guys better than me at my home track and often wonder if they get tired of playing w a hack like me!! LOL!
their course mgmnt is nuts, which is where I struggle

If i go out as a single, Ill never play the bak tees while everyone plays up
Ill play whatever tees the rest of the group is playing
keeps the speed of the round up and I get to see a different set of tees - its a lot of fun (even playing red or forward tees)

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Luckily, as a 15 index I can always find people that are better than me to play with because there are a lot of people that are better than a 15 out there. My regular core group has a couple of guys that are around 10-11, and of course there are loads of single digits at the club overall. When you get really good (like idriveahonda up there) and you're playing 4 and 5 under par, then it is probably a little harder to find some people that will push you on a regular basis.

I'm just one of those people that tend to focus better under pressure. If I'm the worst person in my group, I'm focusing so I can keep up. If I'm the best person in my group, especially on something like a charity scramble team, then I feel the pressure of having to make a good shot to keep us in it, and I have always done well in those situations too, playing a little above my normal ability.

Find out what motivates you.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*