Ball markers.....does the size a fellow player uses bother you?

Redhill

I use a magnetic marker with my club's logo on it. When I play in scrambles, I break out a poker chip, as I usually mark the ball first. It allows everyone in my group to clearly see the mark. It doesn't really bother me what other people use, because I'm an adult, and don't let utterly insignificant things affect my life.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use the magnetic FJ one that came with their gloves, however cannot find any of those gloves anymore.

I now use one that is magnetic and clips onto the divot tool I use. It's really thin.

Most annoying ball markers I've seen are poker chips or the guy who decides to mark his ball by sticking a tee into the green.

But in most cases I will ask for a ball marker to be moved IF I think it'll be in my way regardless of size. Then follow up said request with a 3 putt.

Why would sticking a tee in be such a bad thing? Pushed in, its really no different from a coin or any other marker.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='HardHatsRequired' timestamp='1405009753' post='9673825']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1405007434' post='9673453']
Leave no doubt and use something you figure WON'T bother anyone [u]without having to ask.[/u]

Why is anything goes on the course these days so long as you asked first? That's not the point. Don't put people in the awkward position of having to be "that guy" that is annoyed by poker chips and having to tell you. As a general rule, anything you figure you'd have to ask people if it annoys them during their round: don't do it. Common courtesy.
[/quote]

How about loud clothing? Ugly golf bag? Yellow balls? Big purple Sharpie lines on golf balls? Baseball caps with my rival teams' logos? Or are ball markers in a separate category of things we need to mind? Common courtesy is one thing; this seems arbitrary to me. The only things that truly bother me on the golf course are slow play and miserable company. Don't be that person, and we're ok.

I use a large chip. I use a dime if I'm near anyone's line. I will move either upon request. Short of a marking device that alters the gravitational field on a green, I don't care.
[/quote]
See...this kinda sums it up nicely. [u]You[/u] use one and [u]you like it[/u], and if anyone has anything to say about it, time to get testy and snarky and insinuate that anyone that doesn't like it is too picky or something. Yet, you guys are "so chill" that nothing bothers you? (Except on golf forums, right?)

None of the examples provided will ever be used to mark a ball on a green.

The thing with poker chips: they do get in your sight and I [u]might not have to ask you to move something smaller[/u].
I'll always err to the side of being courteous out there. Its just how I was taught to play.

Who cares?!

Use an actual manhole cover, if you want. Just move it to the left or right when I ask you to.

If a playing partner of mine cares about something as trivial as a ball marker, then we won't be playing together any longer.

If it's a random person I'm paired up with in a tournament round, and that is something that get under his skin... well... advantage me.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1405012354' post='9674175']
[quote name='HardHatsRequired' timestamp='1405009753' post='9673825']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1405007434' post='9673453']
Leave no doubt and use something you figure WON'T bother anyone [u]without having to ask.[/u]

Why is anything goes on the course these days so long as you asked first? That's not the point. Don't put people in the awkward position of having to be "that guy" that is annoyed by poker chips and having to tell you. As a general rule, anything you figure you'd have to ask people if it annoys them during their round: don't do it. Common courtesy.
[/quote]

How about loud clothing? Ugly golf bag? Yellow balls? Big purple Sharpie lines on golf balls? Baseball caps with my rival teams' logos? Or are ball markers in a separate category of things we need to mind? Common courtesy is one thing; this seems arbitrary to me. The only things that truly bother me on the golf course are slow play and miserable company. Don't be that person, and we're ok.

I use a large chip. I use a dime if I'm near anyone's line. I will move either upon request. Short of a marking device that alters the gravitational field on a green, I don't care.
[/quote]
See...this kinda sums it up nicely. [u]You[/u] use one and [u]you like it[/u], and if anyone has anything to say about it, time to get testy and snarky and insinuate that anyone that doesn't like it is too picky or something. Yet, you guys are "so chill" that nothing bothers you? (Except on golf forums, right?)

None of the examples provided will ever be used to mark a ball on a green.

The thing with poker chips: they do get in your sight and I [u]might not have to ask you to move something smaller[/u].
I'll always err to the side of being courteous out there. Its just how I was taught to play.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that I was being testy as much as pointing out the arbitrariness of your annoyance. I don't like loud pants, which are certainly more visually distracting than my dime - you did see that I mentioned I use it whenever I am close to another person's potential line? That last comment was intentionally snarky.

You will also note that I explicitly mentioned the two things that bother me on course. This, too is snarky.

Your etiquette bona fides are obviously beyond reproach, forum-god; no need to consider the chance hat you could possibly be wrong when you're always right. This is both testy and snarky. My original post was not.

Carry on.

The great thing about a poker chip is that you can see it from afar. That way while everyone else is sizing their putts up one at a time you can walk around and line up your putt, analyze the green undulations and what not. Then when it is your turn you are ready to rock and roll immediately.

The guys that use pennies and small things can't see them from more than 5 feet away, in turn they are slowing down play because they are reading putts one at a time, pre shot routine second guessing themselves multiple times because they weren't sure what line exactly they were reading before.

In no way shape or form will anybody in any significant tournament of importance attempt to putt over a dime or even a glove marker anyways. SO if it is going to be moved regardless why does it matter what you are using to mark with? Truth is, poker chips and larger markers are aiding in speeding up play because players can analyze their putting line while other players are putting. I actually played with an older guy in a big tournament over 4th of July weekend that out down a penny as a mark after we had a similar discussion about markers... He walked around the green reading his putt from 451 different angles and then he had a really disturbed panicked look on his face. He COULD NOT FIND HIS MARK. I had to point it out to him.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1405011005' post='9674001']
Why would sticking a tee in be such a bad thing? Pushed in, its really no different from a coin or any other marker.
[/quote]

When I've played with guys that use a tee they usually do it because the don't have a coin, use 4" white tees, and push them in at a 45* angle after putting 1/4" of it into the ground, and it's about 3 feet from the hole,close to my line and other player's line. If that happens I will sometimes toss them a penny or a dime to help them out, if it bothers me.

In a round of golf their are 100 other things for me to concern myself with BEFORE worrying about someone else's ball marker becomes important.

I suppose if people are marking 2 ft putts the chances of a bigger marker being in the way is greater... but even still, I'm not sure why anyone would let it bother them.

[quote name='Redhill' timestamp='1405017164' post='9674819']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1405011005' post='9674001']
[/quote]

When I've played with guys that use a tee they usually do it because the don't have a coin, use 4" white tees, and push them in at a 45* angle after putting 1/4" of it into the ground, and it's about 3 feet from the hole,close to my line and other player's line. If that happens I will sometimes toss them a penny or a dime to help them out, if it bothers me.
[/quote]

This!!

One guy I got paired up with would jam it in at a weird angle then half the time forget to fix the mark he'd made.

Poker chips don't bother me, but I agree that you may as well just leave the ball there if you're going to use a marker the same size as a ball.

Tees annoy me a little, but I'll use one in a pinch. I only really have a problem if the person sloppily replaces the ball (stick the tee on one side of the ball, then conveniently place the ball on the opposite side on a better spot). I played with a guy once who would stick his divot tool in the ground behind the ball. It was easily as big as the ball and was more distracting than I thought it would be. Thankfully, he was pretty bad so he didn't have to mark his ball very often.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

[quote name='KDRhine' timestamp='1404992449' post='9671893']
I can't stand when my playing partners break out the full size poker chips... Drives me insane!
[/quote]

I used to feel the same, and used to use a dime, but I got tired of people stomping all over my line because they couldn't see it. After thinking about it, I really spend a lot of time trying to figure out where everyone else's ball mark is. Something big like this cuts that out. As far as it being in play, just ask to have it moved. In a more formal setting I'd go back to the dime to be less conspicuous, but for me the poker chip is the way to go in most rounds.

I honestly cannot imagine how I could even play the game if stuff like this bothered me. I don't use one and there's a >99.9% chance I would not notice anyone doing so.

I have a saying that I like to use when someone does something that they think bothers me and apologizes for it. That saying: "The only thing that bothers me is my own lack of talent" and I mean it btw. And that goes for when I am playing in a state level tournament or a work event.

[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1405036397' post='9676809']
Poker chips never bother anyone -- until you actually hit one. Then it might as well be a doorstop. Whenever a poker chip user is anywhere near my expected line, I'll have them move it even further, till it's ridiculously out of my way.
[/quote]

+1, no poker chips anywhere near anyones line, no poker chips within 10' of hole, how about "small coin or other similar object" per Rule 20-1. How about nothing larger than a penny? Or put on your rally hat, gangbanger shorts and use a poker chip.

Poker chips annoy me.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

I dont really care what someone uses to mark...if its big enough to be in my sight line I will ask them to move it..

I carry a poker chip I got from Bandon for when I am way out or not near anyones line...and I carry a flat plastic one to mark when I am in traffic...

TM R1 Tp
Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
Miura 52,56,60
Machine Damascus Steel

I've got three that I use - 1) Titleist Detroit Logo Cap (has a white background w/a orange "D"), 2) Under Armour ball marker silver with "UA" logo in black (came with the bag) & 3) A Vegas poker chip that I sometimes use just for fun. I really don't care what anybody else uses, if it's on my line I politely ask that it be moved left or right.

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

[quote name='soregongolfer' timestamp='1405009692' post='9673815']
[quote name='toc' timestamp='1405001393' post='9672741']
How on earth do you guys even notice this kind of thing?
[/quote]

Exactly. After a round of golf, there is a very good chance that I would have no idea what you used for a marker.
[/quote]

With most of the folks I seem to get paired up with these days, after the round there's a very good chance that I'm going to have to ask them to give back the marker I loaned them because they didn't have one (or a penny in their pocket, apparently).

One of the courses I play has a jar of pennies on the counter by the register with a sign: "Ball markers: 3/$1". My buddy tells me that I get too much amusement from that.

I'm a lot less bothered by the size of someone's ball marker than I am if they don't have one. It seems like most of the folks I get paired up with these days must be used to playing as singles, since they're never prepared to mark their balls when we get to the green.

I keep some guitar picks in my tee pocket to give to playing partners in need - they're flat, cheap, and colorful (and according to my wife, they sneak into the washer in my pockets and breed there). Point them at the hole when you mark, and if you have to move them, point them to where the ball was originally.

[quote name='hiflyer51' timestamp='1405044631' post='9677497']
[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1405036397' post='9676809']
Poker chips never bother anyone -- until you actually hit one. Then it might as well be a doorstop. Whenever a poker chip user is anywhere near my expected line, I'll have them move it even further, till it's ridiculously out of my way.
[/quote]

+1, no poker chips anywhere near anyones line, no poker chips within 10' of hole, how about "small coin or other similar object" per Rule 20-1. How about nothing larger than a penny? Or put on your rally hat, gangbanger shorts and use a poker chip.
[/quote]

So a poker chip couldn't possibly fit into "small coin or other similar object"?

Get off my lawn!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

It's almost hard to believe that people can get annoyed or upset or even CARE about what someone uses to mark their spot on the green.

It seems that a lot of golfers are head cases.

Half the folks on here get pissed about cargo shorts, non blades, untucked shirts, singles, etc., etc., etc..

Count your blessings guys, first world problems are not worth the effort.

Carry on.......

X________________________________ Sign Here

The poker chips both me.

I use the metal hat clip ball markers outside of 15 feet and the small 1-prong plastic markers inside that.

I use the poker chips on the practice green for a smaller aiming target.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link