Most Forgiving Forged Irons?

rickrone

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dpgolf' timestamp='1415284303' post='10405169']
[quote name='rickrone' timestamp='1411183732' post='10151377']
Looking to purchase some new clubs and definitely love the feel of forged clubs. I don't play everyday, so I need some forgiveness in my clubs. Which clubs do you recommend to be the most forgiving forged irons?
[/quote]

AP2 Irons.
[/quote]

Oh my goodness that Alien wedge (your avatar) looks risky. I wonder how many people attempted full swing flop shots with one of those and bladed the ball onto the next tee box (or club house patio).

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1415386042' post='10411901']
[quote name='dpgolf' timestamp='1415284303' post='10405169']
[quote name='rickrone' timestamp='1411183732' post='10151377']
Looking to purchase some new clubs and definitely love the feel of forged clubs. I don't play everyday, so I need some forgiveness in my clubs. Which clubs do you recommend to be the most forgiving forged irons?
[/quote]

AP2 Irons.
[/quote]

Oh my goodness that Alien wedge (your avatar) looks risky. I wonder how many people attempted full swing flop shots with one of those and bladed the ball onto the next tee box (or club house patio).
[/quote]

LOL... I actually saw that thing earlier and without looking closer, thought it was an old ugly driver...

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

another vote for the cb3

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

[quote name='Killing Moon' timestamp='1411196521' post='10151851']
For forgiveness I like Callaway's first forged iron set. X Tour.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/107-callaway-x-tour"]http://www.golfwrx.c...callaway-x-tour[/url]

And the Yonex Super ADX Forged.
[/quote]
I would agree I played the X-Tours for a couple of season they are forgiving with and offer anyone wanting to curve the ball the ability to do so as well. I could easily for back to this iron.

[quote name='Mtngolfer1' timestamp='1415392594' post='10412379']
[quote name='Killing Moon' timestamp='1411196521' post='10151851']
For forgiveness I like Callaway's first forged iron set. X Tour.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/107-callaway-x-tour"]http://www.golfwrx.c...callaway-x-tour[/url]

And the Yonex Super ADX Forged.
[/quote]
I would agree I played the X-Tours for a couple of season they are forgiving with and offer anyone wanting to curve the ball the ability to do so as well. I could easily for back to this iron.
[/quote]

X-Tours were GREAT. I still have mine, with the PX 5.5 (satin) shafts. Got them for $600 virtually brand new. A Golfsmith salesman bought 'em, tried them a few times and put them on the used club rack for about 775 or so and then GS ran a 20% off ANY used club promotion and I grabbed 'em.

I do believe they are one of the early mixed metals though, i.e. forged fused to,,,,,,, something else,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

A lot more recommendations of irons that the OP should not even consider. They are nice players irons with forgiveness but not something a weekend golfer needing a GI iron should play.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1415454975' post='10415259']
A lot more recommendations of irons that the OP should not even consider. They are nice players irons with forgiveness but not something a weekend golfer needing a GI iron should play.
[/quote]

I think we may be well beyond the OP since this is an older thread, but a lot of guys are always looking for the more forgiving forged irons, so hopefully this thread will run and run. Lots of useful information and comparisons.

[quote name='pmcuk' timestamp='1415456149' post='10415309']
[/quote]

I think we may be well beyond the OP since this is an older thread, but a lot of guys are always looking for the more forgiving forged irons, so hopefully this thread will run and run. Lots of useful information and comparisons.
[/quote]

Sorry but this is not an older thread. But this is a thread with a lot of recommendations that would be mis-guided based on what the OP was looking for. Someone looking for similar information as the OP would get a lot of incorrect information. It seems every time a thread starts with someone looking for forged GI irons, the thread is hijacked by forgiving forged players iron recommendations. There are other threads for people looking for more forgiving forged players irons.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1415459828' post='10415531']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but this is not an older thread. But this is a thread with a lot of recommendations that would be mis-guided based on what the OP was looking for. Someone looking for similar information as the OP would get a lot of incorrect information. It seems every time a thread starts with someone looking for forged GI irons, the thread is hijacked by forgiving forged players iron recommendations. There are other threads for people looking for more forgiving forged players irons.
[/quote]

The OP didn't ask for opinions on forgiving forged GI irons. He asked for forgiving forged iron recommendations. So people have given their OPINIONS on what they deem to be forgiving forged irons.

"Looking to purchase some new clubs and definitely love the feel of forged clubs. I don't play everyday, so I need some forgiveness in my clubs. Which clubs do you recommend to be the most forgiving forged irons?"

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

[quote name='bobcat' timestamp='1415375860' post='10411145']
I would go with the forged-faced Cleveland TT's or MT's. I personally prefer the TT's, but higher handicappers may find the wider faces and soles and the hollow design of the MT model a bit more forgiving.

The heads on these feel as soft as any fully-forged clubhead I have ever hit despite the fact that only the faces are forged, not the full clubhead. TM seems to like the design of the TT's as well, because their SLDR iron design looks very similar to the TT's but with weaker lofts.

I feel the 588 MT/TT irons are very underrated sticks indeed, possibly due to the stock Cleveland Traction-85 steel shafts. With a premium steel shaft, these irons are the cat's meow! (I ordered mine with Project-X shafts in 5.5 flex). Be prepared for extra distance because these irons do have extra-stong lofts. Easily a club and a half longer than traditionally-lofted iron sets. The stock steel shafts are longer than standard too, contributing to distance gains, (5-iron = 38.5"). I ordered my PX shafts the same length as the stock shaft since I like my irons 1/2" overlength anyway, and also prefer a heavier feel for good control. My TT set with PX shafts at the stock Cleveland shaft length have a swingweight of D-5 which feels absolutely perfect to me! I am loving these 588 TT's!
[/quote]

I totally agree with the praise of the 588TTs, once you get them with the correct shaft for you (KBS Tour in my case). However, please don't add to the ongoing myth that the shafts are longer than standard. They are not, if you take into account what lofts the irons have. In fact, in the shorter irons, the shafts are on the short side. I was pretty surprised to see that the PW (at 44°, which is more like a traditional 9-iron), is only 35.75", which would be the average length for a 47° PW. It is the same length as my 48° Vokey wedge, which I have used as a PW in the past and half an inch shorter than the 43° 9-iron of my last set of Wilsons. 38.5" is also a normal to short shaft for an iron that has 24° of loft, as the 5-iron of the 588TTs has. In many players' iron sets, this is the loft of the 4-iron, and those 4-irons are usually 38.50" or 38.75" long, depending on the particular manufacturer and how they measure length. So, in my view, the shafts are not longer than standard.
In any case, the 588TTs are great irons, but it is a little tough to find out the correct spacing on the shorter end of the bag. I finally went with the 49° so-called "DW" of the set and then with a 54° Vokey SW and 60° Vokey LW. I am extremely happy that I did. The wide sole of the DW looked strange to me at first, but this thing turned out to be both an excellent gap wedge for full shots and also outstanding for longer bunker shots.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1415462745' post='10415755']
Define forgiving?

On programmed slight mishits by a robot hitting balls off a tee or by humans trying to deliver the club head to the ball from an endless variety of lies?
[/quote]

Forgiveness is based on humans hitting off center shots and how the club minimizes how far right or left the ball flies and how much shorter / longer the ball goes. Not based on some number based on a robot. Most of these recommendations are for cavity backs that offer some forgiveness for shots slightly off center. But for a weekend golfer, their shot off the toe will end up right and 20 yards short.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1415466619' post='10415963']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1415462745' post='10415755']
Define forgiving?

On programmed slight mishits by a robot hitting balls off a tee or by humans trying to deliver the club head to the ball from an endless variety of lies?
[/quote]

Forgiveness is based on humans hitting off center shots and how the club minimizes how far right or left the ball flies and how much shorter / longer the ball goes. Not based on some number based on a robot. Most of these recommendations are for cavity backs that offer some forgiveness for shots slightly off center. But for a weekend golfer, their shot off the toe will end up right and 20 yards short.
[/quote] Weekend golfers can hit the COG every tr and still hit the ball all over the show if their club head speed, face angle, and swing path are inconsistent.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

The OP didn't ask for opinions on forgiving forged GI irons. He asked for forgiving forged iron recommendations. So people have given their OPINIONS on what they deem to be forgiving forged irons.

"Looking to purchase some new clubs and definitely love the feel of forged clubs. I don't play everyday, so I need some forgiveness in my clubs. Which clubs do you recommend to be the most forgiving forged irons?"

0bd2f4f.jpg

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='casey_0507' timestamp='1415461652' post='10415665']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess if the OP was looking for max GI with forged feel - a property that many say does not exist - he must be in the market for the elusive Posers Cavity Back irons.

MP600
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Cleveland Classic 2

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The OP was looking for the most forgiving forged iron, which there are a few to choose from, the operative word is few. Since the are no SGI forged irons (at least sold in the US), so that leaves GI irons. But most of the suggestions are not even close to what the OP was looking for. They were suggesting what they play, player cavity back irons. Some even suggested muscle back irons.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Yeah musclebacks are not the best suggestion however players cavity backs fit the bill. That's what I would consider the amp forged I play and they are very forgiving. But I'm picking up what your putting down.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1415472053' post='10416273']

I guess if the OP was looking for max GI with forged feel - a property that many say does not exist - he must be in the market for the elusive Posers Cavity Back irons.
[/quote]

Well, forged isn't likely to be large SGI heads but quite a few forged clubs have medium size heads. Sets like J40DPC, MX200. The ones that are more challenging are the small heads like the Mizuno MP series, Callaway X-Tour, stuff like that.

I for one would be very interested to know which forged clubs have medium size heads - the information isn't easy to come across. There's the MPF score for "C" but that's about all unless you scour the archives and reviews.

The new 850 forged is actually quite a bit larger then you would think. They are dangerously close in size to the old JPX800 (which was a bit smaller then the 825's that i play).

For a forged club they are going to be very forgiving, i've only played around with them in a sim though

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1415472053' post='10416273']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought a poser was a guy who plays blades but can't break par on a regular basis....learn something every day I guess.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='TMelectric' timestamp='1415572132' post='10421063']
Srixon zstar forged is a contender
[/quote]

+1 for the Srixon Zstars. I'd also recommend the new Srixon 545s. I play the Miura PP9003 and they are forgiving.

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

[quote name='schulzea' timestamp='1411191560' post='10151765']Adams cb3[/quote]

True that, I loose a little distance when I bring them out of the closet from ballooning but they are sooo easy to hit, I suspect eventually they will stay in.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W