Nike Vapor Iron Series

greenknight9

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419735938' post='10649411'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419715171' post='10648043']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1419714101' post='10647971']I like the PXi because of the weight, I can't get along with a heavy weight shaft in irons. R/S300, etc.

The Modus3 is 120/130 grams(respectively), yes?

I am sure they are good for others, just not for myself.

I have 6.0, and I think it's under 115 grams. Its light, yet stable. Ever since I got the PXi in my previous irons. My two other irons purchased have them on as well.[/quote]

I'm on my first set with PXi 6.0's and its crazy how well I'm hitting the ball. I'm carrying my 7 iron 20 yards farther with my vapor pros than I did with my pro combos. It has to be mostly the shaft. Can't wait to actually golf with them instead of practicing in the dome. Haha. Better than nothing I guess.
[/quote]

How do you account for the 20 yards ?

Shaft only ? Seems impossible. Lofts probably aren't that much different.

You're a top 1% player and you get 20 more yards from a SHAFT change ?[/quote]

I averaged 152 yards with my 7 iron with my pro combos. I'm hitting my 7 iron 169 yards with my vapor pros and PXi shafts. The PXi's are definitely stiffer. I hit the centre of the club face pretty consistently with both. My coach figures a combination of the club, shaft and stiffness are contributing but who knows. I've never hit the ball long. I'd kill for Tai's distance but for some reason all my clubs are now longer and I'm having to learn my new distances. It is helping though now that I don't have such a big gap between 3 iron and 5 wood. Carrying 3 iron 215 yards and 5 wood 227. I used to carry 3 iron 203. Maybe the vapors are just that good.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419738417' post='10649647']

I averaged 152 yards with my 7 iron with my pro combos. I'm hitting my 7 iron 169 yards with my vapor pros and PXi shafts. The PXi's are definitely stiffer. I hit the centre of the club face pretty consistently with both. My coach figures a combination of the club, shaft and stiffness are contributing but who knows. I've never hit the ball long. I'd kill for Tai's distance but for some reason all my clubs are now longer and I'm having to learn my new distances. It is helping though now that I don't have such a big gap between 3 iron and 5 wood. Carrying 3 iron 215 yards and 5 wood 227. I used to carry 3 iron 203. Maybe the vapors are just that good.
[/quote]

That's a damn strong 3i for distance. You say the PXis are stiffer. How about the feeling of the kick at impact? Is there one? Also what kind of ball do you play? Curious on that one. I'm asking because it's getting closer and closer to purchase time for my new irons and the first thing I want to try are the VPC/Pros with PXi shafts.

Thanks everyone for posting on the thread. I have hit everything minus Nike Flex driver and the wedges and all I can say is my bag will be all Nike minus the driver at some point. The feeling and performance of the clubs this year is just out of this world.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1419743327' post='10649957'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419738417' post='10649647']

[/quote]

That's a damn strong 3i for distance. You say the PXis are stiffer. How about the feeling of the kick at impact? Is there one? Also what kind of ball do you play? Curious on that one. I'm asking because it's getting closer and closer to purchase time for my new irons and the first thing I want to try are the VPC/Pros with PXi shafts.

Thanks everyone for posting on the thread. I have hit everything minus Nike Flex driver and the wedges and all I can say is my bag will be all Nike minus the driver at some point. The feeling and performance of the clubs this year is just out of this world.[/quote]

I play RZN Black but those numbers are just range balls but I usually only see a couple yards difference between the 2 with irons. The PXi's feel much stiffer than the stock vr pro combo shafts. I notice less kick at impact than my pro combos. The PXi's feel very stiff but also smoother. I've tried lots of different shafts but there's just something about these for my swing that i really like. Lesmond probably has some great insight as well.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419744309' post='10649993']
[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1419743327' post='10649957'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419738417' post='10649647']
[/quote]

Thanks everyone for posting on the thread. I have hit everything minus Nike Flex driver and the wedges and all I can say is my bag will be all Nike minus the driver at some point. The feeling and performance of the clubs this year is just out of this world.[/quote]

I play RZN Black but those numbers are just range balls but I usually only see a couple yards difference between the 2 with irons. The PXi's feel much stiffer than the stock vr pro combo shafts. I notice less kick at impact than my pro combos. The PXi's feel very stiff but also smoother. I've tried lots of different shafts but there's just something about these for my swing that i really like. Lesmond probably has some great insight as well.
[/quote]

Before PXi, I just played stock shafts Dynamic Gold R/S300. Didn't like/suit my game.

Once I got fitted at the TM Performance center with PXi. I made improvements on swing, etc. All due to shaft for me.

It felt great when I was hitting them, even more when on course. Haven;t tried other lightweight shafts, but PXi for me are doing it.

I have KBS C-Taper Lite in my TM UDI 18*, but I hit that poorly at times, can't give much feedback on it, since it's only on long iron.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Alright guys, part of my X-mas gift from the wife is a custom set of VPC's. I'm coming off a set of original VR split cavity's with DG S300's. I was set on the Modus 120's but now Toddy J and Lesmond have me considering the PXi 6.0's. So:

-Has anyone noticed similar performance gains as Toddy going from their old stock shafted irons to the VPC with Modus 120's?

-Les, what's your opinion on Toddy's gains? Obviously you've played the PXI's before the VPC's, so what have been your gains if any since switching to the new irons?

First post here, these forums are awesome, keep the info. coming!

Has anyone ordered from Nike with the Modus 120 recently, I just put in my order for the gap wedge to complete my set and was quoted 4-5 weeks?

Hoping its just the stock answer for a custom shaft and it gets here sooner.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

[quote name='texasdave' timestamp='1419776640' post='10650583']
Has anyone ordered from Nike with the Modus 120 recently, I just put in my order for the gap wedge to complete my set and was quoted 4-5 weeks?

[/quote]

I ordered a set of VPC's with modus shafts on Friday and was quoted an estimated ship date of 1/8.

Ping G30 9 degree--TS 7.2 X
Ping G30 14.5--TS 8.2 X
RZR X Tour 18 degree--ADDI 85X
Nike VPC 4-AW--Modus 120X
Vokey 54s,58M--S400
Odyssey Works #7 CB

[quote name='Stuu' timestamp='1419772400' post='10650449']
Alright guys, part of my X-mas gift from the wife is a custom set of VPC's. I'm coming off a set of original VR split cavity's with DG S300's. I was set on the Modus 120's but now Toddy J and Lesmond have me considering the PXi 6.0's. So:

-Has anyone noticed similar performance gains as Toddy going from their old stock shafted irons to the VPC with Modus 120's?

-Les, what's your opinion on Toddy's gains? Obviously you've played the PXI's before the VPC's, so what have been your gains if any since switching to the new irons?

[/quote]

Can you go get fit somewhere prior to ordering? That would be ideal because your going to get differing opinions as different things work for people. PXI was and still is the worst shaft I've ever hit, for me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1419777884' post='10650651']

[/quote]

Can you go get fit somewhere prior to ordering? That would be ideal because your going to get differing opinions as different things work for people. PXI was and still is the worst shaft I've ever hit, for me.
[/quote]
That would be ideal, but unfortunately nike has not gotten their fitting carts out to dealers/pro shops yet..... Frustrating, especially since the clubs have been out for 2 months!

[quote name='GripandRip11' timestamp='1419777561' post='10650637']
[quote name='texasdave' timestamp='1419776640' post='10650583']

[/quote]

I ordered a set of VPC's with modus shafts on Friday and was quoted an estimated ship date of 1/8.
[/quote]

Great news, thanks.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419735938' post='10649411'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419715171' post='10648043']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1419714101' post='10647971']I like the PXi because of the weight, I can't get along with a heavy weight shaft in irons. R/S300, etc.

I have 6.0, and I think it's under 115 grams. Its light, yet stable. Ever since I got the PXi in my previous irons. My two other irons purchased have them on as well.[/quote]

I'm on my first set with PXi 6.0's and its crazy how well I'm hitting the ball. I'm carrying my 7 iron 20 yards farther with my vapor pros than I did with my pro combos. It has to be mostly the shaft. Can't wait to actually golf with them instead of practicing in the dome. Haha. Better than nothing I guess.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Let me see if I've got this straight.

My average well struck [b]DRIVE[/b] carries about 230 and I carry a 7 iron 150.
[size=4]
Your [u][b]5 WOOD[/b][/u] CARRIES 227 but with your old Combos you only carried a 7 iron 150 ? [/size]
[size=4]
How long did you play those Combos ? Surely your 7 iron carry told you SOMETHING wasn't working, no ?[/size]
[size=4]
[size=4]It just seems incredible a golfer of your ability wouldn't recognize rather quickly something was considerably out of whack.[/size][/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419787865' post='10651277']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[size=4]
Your [u][b]5 WOOD[/b][/u] CARRIES 227 but with your old Combos you only carried a 7 iron 150 ? [/size]
[size=4]
How long did you play those Combos ? Surely your 7 iron carry told you SOMETHING wasn't working, no ?[/size]
[size=4]
[size=4]It just seems incredible a golfer of your ability wouldn't recognize rather quickly something was considerably out of whack.[/size][/size]
[/quote]

If it's not broke don't fix it right

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

[/quote]

For me, I did not recognize any yardage increase(s). Only striking it better due to the weight of the shaft. Which is great. I also like how it launches mid-flight, not too high at all

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1419787865' post='10651277'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419738417' post='10649647']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[size=4]
[size=4]
[size=4]
[size=4]It just seems incredible a golfer of your ability wouldn't recognize rather quickly something was considerably out of whack.[/size][/size][/quote]

I had a scoring avg of 67.7 last year and I only had 4 rounds over par out of 110 rounds. If I'm hitting my 7 iron 150 yards to 10 feet consistently, why would i consider switching. I don't study these numbers as much as you clearly do. And the only reason I went with PXi was from info I got on this forum. I've never been fitted for anything.

I'm actually at the simulator right now playing Bay Hill. PW is carrying 130 avg. My pro combos were 112 yards. Not sure how to decipher but that's the numbers. I just hit a 4 iron 212. My pro combos were 190 or so. [attachment=2548857:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419790745.673369.jpg]

My brother in law in the pic

FWIW, instead of waiting I just went in and hit both the Apex forged and the TM preferred CBs with KBs c taper, PXI, PX, and DGs300. I hit them all fairly well and the numbers were just a bit better with the PXI. I also loved the feel but I also like the px 5.5 when I had them in my old VR splits.

The PXI was a little lighter, felt smoother and on The sim, it had a tighter dispersion so I pulled the trigger on the pxi 6.0. I should be able to give a review in a week to 10 days hopefully.

One other thing is my miss is a pull draw/hook but for some reason, if I went after one w the pxi , it didn't go as far offline as the others.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

[quote name='GMoney76' timestamp='1419793996' post='10651687']FWIW, instead of waiting I just went in and hit both the Apex forged and the TM preferred CBs with KBs c taper, PXI, PX, and DGs300. I hit them all fairly well and the numbers were just a bit better with the PXI. I also loved the feel but I also like the px 5.5 when I had them in my old VR splits.

The PXI was a little lighter, felt smoother and on The sim, it had a tighter dispersion so I pulled the trigger on the pxi 6.0. I should be able to give a review in a week to 10 days hopefully.

One other thing is my miss is a pull draw/hook but for some reason, if I went after one w the pxi , it didn't go as far offline as the others.[/quote]

Awesome. Congrats on the purchase.

[quote name='GMoney76' timestamp='1419793996' post='10651687']FWIW, instead of waiting I just went in and hit both the Apex forged and the TM preferred CBs with KBs c taper, PXI, PX, and DGs300. I hit them all fairly well and the numbers were just a bit better with the PXI. I also loved the feel but I also like the px 5.5 when I had them in my old VR splits.

One other thing is my miss is a pull draw/hook but for some reason, if I went after one w the pxi , it didn't go as far offline as the others.[/quote]

Nice! Can't wait to see your review.

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

C'mon, gotta love the satin shaft finish.

[attachment=2549225:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419802674.111346.jpg]
[attachment=2549227:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419802817.796969.jpg]
[attachment=2549229:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419802829.051291.jpg]

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1419802832' post='10652329']C'mon, gotta love the satin shaft finish.

[attachment=2549229:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419802829.051291.jpg][/quote]

Same shafts, same grips too.

I had the opportunity to hit the Vapor PC's on the range yesterday. I tried them along with a few other irons, all with DG S300 shafts. The PC is a quality offering for Nike and one that balances a semi-blade look with some forgiveness built in. They performed very well with the S300, yielding nice distance, dispersion, looks, and feel. I did not hit the Pro, only because I know I'd probably like it. My goal is to find something a tad more forgiving than the the S55's, especially in the long irons. PC's could be the ones.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1419803506' post='10652373']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1419802832' post='10652329']C'mon, gotta love the satin shaft finish.

[attachment=2549229:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419802829.051291.jpg][/quote]

Same shafts, same grips too.
[/quote]

I'm looking at the GP niion blue/green combo

I too am pretty much stuck between PXi and Modus 120.

When looking at PXi...the flex of the 6.5 seems to be in the same ballpark as a DG stiff. Am I reading this correctly? It even seems like overall it's less stiff than a s300?

post-318055-0-69440000-1407011651_thumb.png

Found at the end of this thread

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/740015-tom-wishon-irons-shaft-graphs-in-regular-flex/page__st__90

first round today with VPC's, as a side note I am in the middle of a swing change, front nine was brutal struggled to make good contact because i was in my head thinking about the positions i needed to be in. 44 front and started back nine with a double. pretty much gave up at that point. next 8 holes shot -1, hit seven greens in regulation. i love these irons, after i got out of my head and started playing golf, i finally got to get a good impression of these clubs.

Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
MannKrafted Putter Du Jour

I don't think the PXi will launch the ball as low as the Modus does. If that's what your in to

Driver - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly Pro - Fujikura Pro Series 65 - Stiff[/color]
3W - [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#00ff00]Cobra Bio Cell Blue - Matrix Ozik white tie[/color][/font]
5W - [color=#0000ff]Nike Vapor Fly - Tensei CK Blue 65F - Stiff[/color]
Hybrid - [color=#ff0000]Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Kuro Kage Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Nike Engage - 52* Square, 60* Dual Sole[/color] [color=#0000cd]Project X PXi 6.5[/color]
Putter - [color=#808080]Nike Method B1-02[/color]
Ball - Titleist ProV1x
[color=#008080]#supportyourlocalmuni[/color]

[color=#008080]WITB: [/color][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1303874-toddashford-nike-bag/page__p__13196536#entry13196536"]http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry13196536[/url]
[twitter]toddash[/twitter]
instagram.com/toddash18

i played 2 rounds this weekend - 72 on Friday and 74 on a hard course on Saturday...i'm finding a groove with the VPCs and still gettin used to the short iron Pros...man they're awesome sticks though. best set of nine was the back on saturday going (-2) with 3 birdies and a bogey comin into the house (482y par 4, into the wind...yay)

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Little evening practice session. [attachment=2550623:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1419894834.210810.jpg]

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]