Any mid-single digit handicaps playing Super-game improvement irons?

LaBraeGolfer

I went to from a 12 to a 4 playing g20s.....what a great set of irons, only downfall was I could not control trajectory like I wanted. Switched to I20s and got it down to a 2. I now play the EI1s which are much more forgiving and consistent irons (than i20s). Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Got down to a 9 after an 8 year hiatus with the Vapor Pro Combo's. I think I can get down to mid-single digit this coming year and my iron game is by far the best part of my game. With that, my next set will almost definitely be GI irons.

That's pretty impressive after such a long layoff. What irons are you interested in?

I also had the Pro Combos and the Pros earlier this year {still have the pros} Very nice feeling irons and very accurate, but probably not best for my steep swing and non single figure handicap.

I tested a lot of irons this year { i enjoy testing more than actually playing} and thinking back of my test results 2 iron shots with the Cobra S3s stood out for me.

I was hitting a 9 iron from 160-165 to a green that was mostly hidden by some trees. I would aim at a hydro pole behind the green to get my line, i hit 2 shots that felt great and i walked off to see my results. I was surprised to see both shots were 2 ft from the pin and 3ft apart. The part that was most interesting was the fact that both shots felt the same and carried very similar distances. For a hot SGI iron to be able to hit 2 almost identical shots made me very happy.

A few winters back my men's league partner and i were playing in arizona and i had brought some Scratch EZ-1 irons with me and for some reason all i did was chunk every shot with those. So i had no choice but to share my partners set for 5 rounds. Immediately after using his Cobra S3 irons i never chunked another shot and played damn well for me. You would think that after all those great shots in AZ i would have bought my own set of S3s {Nope} Well 20 sets later and i finally got em. lol.

I was reading a post from Tom Wishon on here that basically stated that most golfers would benefit from playing more game improvement irons. There are lots of opinions on here but his seemed to carry the most weight with me. I had previously thought of clearing out a bunch of sets and the Cobra S3s were one of them for some reason. After reading Tom's info i started thinking about game improvement irons again and knew which set i had great results with. The Cobra S3s will be staying {Got 2 sets lol} and i will be selling off some of the other gear. Hopefully my play will be more consistent and lead to better scores. Best of luck in reaching your goals.

Playing off of a 6 and I play g25 irons with x100's in them. Played lots of blades but now everything I hit is good even the bad shots are playable and my worst round is an 86 so all and all I have no problems with a g.i club it's all about looks with most people a clean shoot feels the same with any irons . Truly I felt the best irons I ever felt flushed were my rocketbladez tour and I traded them in for a set of s56 irons and played those a few times but add a family and baby in the mix and no practice.I'll take an easier club to hit any day as long as they don't look like giant serving spoons!!!

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

Bet there are over 100 threads here comparing GI clubs to players. The most rehashed topic ever.

Bottom line: play what you like.

I play irons that make my misses fly closer to the target so I choose GI. My handicap is between 6-9 and I have no clue why so many people think you need players clubs to improve or score for that matter.

Can we hear an AMEN ! I am with you. That is the one issue that i get a chuckle out of.Some of the best players I know use the same irons I do.

Blades are beautiful....but the bottom line for me is which ones get me a better result,and for now,I still need a little help occassionally.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

One of the best amateurs in MI (also a MI hall of fame member) plays with AP1 irons and has for few years ...

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I play at a 10 and have been playing the forged Maltby TE irons with x100 for over 3 years, they are great game improvement irons with a forged look and feel. i switched from always playing mizuno's and and these irons feel great and they are forgiving on hits off center. A low single digit friend of mine is now playing them while leaving his new set of AP's in the closet. Best part, you can pick up a set off eBay for under $150 or you can have a set built to your specs for under $375!

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Bet there are over 100 threads here comparing GI clubs to players. The most rehashed topic ever.

I play irons that make my misses fly closer to the target so I choose GI. My handicap is between 6-9 and I have no clue why so many people think you need players clubs to improve or score for that matter.

Can we hear an AMEN ! I am with you. That is the one issue that i get a chuckle out of.Some of the best players I know use the same irons I do.

Blades are beautiful....but the bottom line for me is which ones get me a better result,and for now,I still need a little help occassionally.

The scorecard doesn't much care what you play either.

Very true about the score card Sean 2.

2 of my friends are single digit handicappers a 6 and a 8. I do not have a handicap but they place me around a 12.

The 6 uses Rocketbladez and the 8 uses reg Razr x irons.

These guys play a lot and everything is score based, shoot the best score. Every game they play is 18 holes and they track there handicaps.

The 6 is incredible in keeping the ball in play with his driver and his woods, chips well and putts well. He doesn't hit the ball far but dead straight and never misses a wood shot.

The 8 is a longer hitter but is erratic off the tee but chips well and putts well. He is probably a better iron player than the 6 but gets into more trouble off the tee. He has played the same clubs for the last 3 years and his hybrids are his money clubs. Without those hybrids he would be a 12 as well. lol

When i have played with them i am not blown away with there iron play. If we had a competition of who could put a ball closest to the pin with say a blade style 7 iron i would have no problem taking that bet.

I have let the 8 HC try some of my irons and kinda giggle when he can't hit them at all.

I am pretty busy in the summer and don't get to play many 18 hole rounds but will sneak out to play 9 a few times per week or hit the range. I like to play different sets of forged style clubs for the soft feel and like to focus on iron play.

So when i do play a proper 18 holes my iron play is better than my overall play. I don't practise driver or chipping or putting so i kinda have to learn on the fly when I'm playing a real game.

I have beat my 8 friend a handful of times but his overall game is more polished than mine.

I would like to get my game closer to my 8 cap friend and will try to play one set of irons {Game improvement}and improve my overall game.

So like you said Sean 2 the card doesn't care what you use or how you do it.

I play at a registered 5 cap and chose the speed blades for other reasons then forgiveness .I chose them for the strong lofts not because I can't hit it a ton allready ,but for the reason that the 4 iron is more like a 3.5 iron and they are .5 of a inch longer then most irons.This allows me to cover the full spectrum with less clubs giving me the room to carry the 64 wedge I like so much.I can always hit it higher or lower a cut or a draw or take a bit off to get the distance I want so its no biggy to me.

Theres a little bit of snobbery in golf equipment about tradition :busted_cop: if you want to play your best ya gotta chuck that crap out the window .Just because they have stronger lofts doesn't make them bad clubs they are a tool and without a open mind you'll never get the best out of your hammer.

get lessons, practice more, drink beer and enjoy golf

...and play GI irons. :superman:

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The scorecard doesn't much care what you play either.

Hit a toed 9-iron out of a fairway bunker that had just enough carry to fly a green side bunker and hit the green. Thinned a 6-iron that took off low but got good distance with the ball rolling up onto the green inside reasonable birdie range. Just a couple examples of shots saved by GI clubs. Every time I experience a shot like these, and it's not every round, think about comments like above and chuckle.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 1 month later...

I'm a 3 and play AP1 714. Love the stronger lofts as I get older and they look and play great for me.

PING LS TEC 9* Tour 65 stiff
Taylormade Aeroburner 3HL
Cleveland Mashie M3 20.5*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #2
Mizuno MP 63 4 - PW DG S300
Cobra Tour Trust Black 50*/8
Titleist SM5 Black s grind 56*/10
Titleist SM5 m grind 60*/8

Nessim, I am not sure why I have never read this before..... but this is probably the best justification statement period of why someone plays X clubs..... None of this makes me concentrate better, none of this makes my miss hits further, none of this flights lower or higher.

Your statement above should be the exact reason why you play X clubs.... be as it may SGI, GI, or Blades....

PS nessism, I hit the like button so many times/hard on your post I broke my mouse you jerk....now I gotta grab a new mouse from the tech guys.......

• Like 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"